Shaymin EX price skyrocket

orthusaku

Tired Trainer
I felt this was needed as this is a bit of meta news. But shaymin EX on the american secondary market just about broke 50$ USD on ebay. Link for quick search: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro..._nkw=pokemon+shaymin+ex+roaring+skies&_sop=15

Also here is an image for reference.
Cdh5

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
This really isn't shocking to me.
Last format, we had amazing draw support. N and Colress were awesome draw cards. We also had Jirachi-EX, which was more consistent then Shaymin-EX. With the best draw right now consisting of Sycamore, Birch, and Shauna, the price of Shaymin-EX was on track to become an expensive card from the get-go.
I am surprised that there wasn't a reprint or a promo box of this card. If they don't reprint it in a Legendary Treasures type of set, I can see the card rising toward the SR Ultra Ball and Tropical Beach rates.

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
I can only really feel that it's market manipulation? People pulling Shaymins out of the market to sell for higher price.

CYL

All hail Eevee!
I can only really feel that it's market manipulation? People pulling Shaymins out of the market to sell for higher price.
That's modern economics. Unavoidable. I don't like this at all, even though I'm not competitive. A little over the top, I think.

Otaku

The wise fool?

Do you mean simple buying and reselling or do you mean intentionally trying to buy up enough to reduce the supply and drive up prices?

Neither are all that great for a sustained price increase; when you buy up the cards you are still buying them so even if the price does go up, you profits only will if you can buy enough to significantly reduce the supply. In fact it requires a pretty odd situation for this to work without revealing those involved to be bad at economics or are basically gambling via e-bay or vast conspiracy so that enough of the supply will be impacted for the inflated prices to stick.

Though it may sound sarcastic, those first two are actually quite plausible. >.>

Finally made an account because I felt like this needed posting.
Here's the actual completed listings page, not pending Buy It Now prices:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...s.TRS0&_nkw=shaymin+ex+roaring+skies&_sacat=0
You'll notice it's a lot different than what OP posted.

Some of those are "digital" copies i.e. the PTCGO version. Which by the way I am pretty sure are illegal to sell in such a manner as part of the User End Agreement (or whatever it is called) one had to check off in order to use the PTCGO. The-powers-that-be don't want virtual cards being sold for cash, or at least don't want to discourage it enough for plausible deniability if anything goes wrong.

Chi-Town Master

Aspiring Trainer
Here's a question... so with such an increase in price, and probably even more as we progress into the season, is it worth buying a Roaring Skies booster box for around $90-105 with the possibility of pulling 1-2 Shaming EX's? I understand that it is a CHANCE but still. Pulling just 1 is paying for half the box... possibly even more depending on how much the price goes up... and you would obviously get other EX's/Full Arts/Secret Rarest as well. P.S is there any word on possibility of it being tinned? Thanks!

Otaku

The wise fool?
Here's a question... so with such an increase in price, and probably even more as we progress into the season, is it worth buying a Roaring Skies booster box for around $90-105 with the possibility of pulling 1-2 Shaming EX's? I understand that it is a CHANCE but still. Pulling just 1 is paying for half the box... possibly even more depending on how much the price goes up... and you would obviously get other EX's/Full Arts/Secret Rarest as well. P.S is there any word on possibility of it being tinned? Thanks!

Are you buying it with disposable income? Actual disposable income, not just charging it on a credit card and "hoping" you'll pull what you need? If so then I believe the risk is worth it; even without Shaymin-EX there should be decent odds of getting your money's worth from the box (thoroughly crunch the numbers before hand just to be sure though). Remember that some of your pulls will be cards that you
  • didn't want
  • aren't easy to sell or trade
  • didn't want and aren't easy to sell or trade
but still have value and thus eventually could be used to recover some of the invested money.

If you're going to cut yourself tight on something important or would be charging it, I'd recommend not. Should be pretty common knowledge but I've known players with dollar signs in their eyes that have convinced themselves it was a sure thing and then regretted not pulling enough to pay off the box before interest had accrued. In fact, I was one of them, just not with the Pokémon TCG. >.>

CYL

All hail Eevee!
Do you mean simple buying and reselling or do you mean intentionally trying to buy up enough to reduce the supply and drive up prices?

Neither are all that great for a sustained price increase; when you buy up the cards you are still buying them so even if the price does go up, you profits only will if you can buy enough to significantly reduce the supply. In fact it requires a pretty odd situation for this to work without revealing those involved to be bad at economics or are basically gambling via e-bay or vast conspiracy so that enough of the supply will be impacted for the inflated prices to stick.

Though it may sound sarcastic, those first two are actually quite plausible. >.>
Agreed. If you're trying to 'dry up' the market by taking the supplies out of circulation, you would need a lot of resources to pull that off. Considering that this isn't the Pokémon Illustrator card or Base Set Booster Boxes (which are considerably rarer, and as such, you could plausibly pull out a significant number of them out of circulation, thus raising the prices by a significant amount) it would be difficult to pull off with Shaymin-EX. Assuming that there are several hundred? thousand? copies of Shaymin-EX in circulation, you'd have to pull a lot of them out of circulation to affect the price, i.e. buying the majority of Shaymin-EX's on the market. Which does not seem like a top-rate choice if looking to make profit.

Serpens

Aspiring Trainer
Hmm... I think that if the upwards tendency will continue, in some time it'll reach a point where richer players/players who got theirs when they were 25-30$ will have them and won't need more, and newer player's won't be willing to pay, par example, 80$ for a card, so the prices will drop. But I wouldn't expect it soon.