BW/BW2 Scrafty - Bulk Up or Dragon Dance?

JaimzBaker

Silly Smogon. Tiers R 4 Queers.
I have a Scrafty with fantasic IVs, and has an ADAMANT nature, and Shed Skin ability, which I don't plan on changing. Please keep that in mind before reading the text below.
Hello. I'm here to ask you guys what you think I should do. I have 2 possible sets for this Scrafty, and I would like your opinion on which one I should use:

First, we have the Bulk Up set:
Ryan (Scrafty) @Leftovers.
Adamant Nature, Shed Skin ability.
124 HP 252 ATK 134 SP.DEF
Drain Punch
Bulk Up
Ice Punch
Crunch

This really is what you'd expect. Simply enough, Drain Punch is for a fast, STAB recovery move, Bulk Up is there to improve Scrafty's already impressive bulk, Ice Punch murders bulky dragons like Dragonite, and Crunch is there for a chance to kill Ghosts like Gengar.

Now for the second set; the Dragon Dance set:
Ryan (Scrafty) @Leftovers.
Adamant Nature, Shed Skin ability.
134 HP 252 ATK 124 SPD
Drain Punch
Dragon Dance
Substitute
Ice Punch

You may be asking me why I've put down Substitute when I already have Shed Skin ability. Well, if anything attempts to ruin a sweep right at the start of Scrafty's sweep, I could put up a sub, and it would take care of itself. Also, subs have a rather nice bulk from Scrafty itself, which, in some cases, lengthen it's life drastically. As from before, Ice Punch kills dragons, which, now with speed boosts from Dragon Dance, could probably now be out-sped and taken down quickly. Drain Punch, like before, is simple recovery.

So, please give me your opinions. Please note that I don't plan on changing Shed Skin or Adamant natures anytime soon.
Thanks~

I would personally go for the Bulk Up set. Maybe you could use a Big Root instead of Leftovers for the Bulk Up Set so that your Drain Punch gives you 30% more HP every time you use it...

Mizugorou said:
I would personally go for the Bulk Up set. Maybe you could use a Big Root instead of Leftovers for the Bulk Up Set so that your Drain Punch gives you 30% more HP every time you use it...

i would go for the dragon dance set with the moxie ability

WhimsicottSubMan said:
Mizugorou said:

i would go for the dragon dance set with the moxie ability

True! I decided the Bulk Up one because they don't really plan on changing his Shed Skin ability.

One possibility might be to put Substitute onto the Bulk Up set. Dragon Dance won't actually add any beef to Scrafty's Substitutes, but Bulk Up will. I personally think Bulk Up is a better idea for Scrafty than Dragon Dance, since it'll help Scrafty live a lot longer anyway - although Dragon Dance isn't without its charms.

Another idea - you might want to teach Rest to go with Shed Skin. Chance of waking up before two turns are over. It's a possibility. I'd suggest that you use Moxie instead of Shed Skin (since overall it's probably better anyway), but you have already made yourself clear so I won't suggest that.

I'm not that good at making entire sets from scratch; I'm just better at making tiny suggestions to existing ones...

DNA said:
One possibility might be to put Substitute onto the Bulk Up set. Dragon Dance won't actually add any beef to Scrafty's Substitutes, but Bulk Up will. I personally think Bulk Up is a better idea for Scrafty than Dragon Dance, since it'll help Scrafty live a lot longer anyway - although Dragon Dance isn't without its charms.

Another idea - you might want to teach Rest to go with Shed Skin. Chance of waking up before two turns are over. It's a possibility. I'd suggest that you use Moxie instead of Shed Skin (since overall it's probably better anyway), but you have already made yourself clear so I won't suggest that.

I'm not that good at making entire sets from scratch; I'm just better at making tiny suggestions to existing ones...

Using Rest is a very interesting idea for a set, and I can see your logic with a bulky substitute. My only concern for Rest are the luck-related chances for Shed Skin actually taking effect. If Scrafty doesn't wake up soon, it may be an easy set-up for major set-up threats, such as Bulk Up Conkeldurr.

However thank you all for your opinion. I'm starting to realize the true potential of Scrafty.

For in game purposes, you want dragon dance. Scrafty is a slow pokemon and for facing the elite four and such scrafty is incredibly useful as a pokemon who is immune to psychic attacks, resistant to dark attacks (and hits them for super-effective stab attacks). 1 DD allows you to get your speed high enough to attack first in most situations and with the attack boost you can OHKO so much. Shame you aren't using a moxie set- after every kill your attack rises making this thing LETHAL in the elite four.

Yeah, I used to use Bulk Up, but Dragon Dance with Moxie gives immense power, and the more kills you have the more health you get back from Drain Punch. It's just a downwards spiral for your opponent.

Back