Rowlet, Litten, Popplio from the Alola Region!

Yeah, but the moon and night have still been associated with Dark (several Dark types such as Umbreon and Murkrow/Honchkrow have a connection to the moon), so Dark would've made the most sense.

I agree. In fact, If Lunala just had gotten Fairy along with Ghost, which in turn equals new type combo, it and Solgaleo would have been evenly matched with one another, but alas, that didn't come to be true.

Yeah, but the moon and night have still been associated with Dark (several Dark types such as Umbreon and Murkrow/Honchkrow have a connection to the moon), so Dark would've made the most sense.
The reason why they are Dark-Type is to do with their "evil" nature, though. Murkrow/Honchkrow are literal mobsters, and I honestly wager that with the advent of the Fairy-Type and its new iconic representation of the moon that Umbreon would never come to be in the form that we know it now if it were created today, as the moon now takes on a whole new meaning. As such, I think that connecting Dark-Type to night time isn't properly thought through.

Regardless, it's an extremely minor point. I quite like that Solagaleo is weak to Fire-Type; it's said that it has loads of thermal energy circulating through its body at all times, so it's quite apt that a little extra heat would send it over the top and as such do a lot of damage. It fits in with lore very well, even if the Pokémon is supposed to embody the sun.

On the topic of the typing outrage in general: I've never seen anyone suggest that Solrock should be Fire-Type and Lunatone Dark-Type. Why is it different with Solgaleo and Lunala?

Murkrow is based off a witch, and Honchkrow is based of a mob boss, which then makes Murkrow one of it's lackeys, so their dark typings are more associated with their more "villainous" inspiration. For the dark typing to be associated with a mascot legendary, they would have to be "evil" in nature.

Psychic typing was necessary as both Solgaleo and Lunala have such an emphasis on being cosmic beings. Fairy types do have some associations with the moon but almost all fairy types have a common trope of being more "benevolent beings", but it was a justifiable typing along with ghost as they both have moon related connotations. Remember these guys don't need to have rivaling types simply because they're the mascots.

Edit; and ninja'd by Celever

Last edited:
Bit of late speculation but the two largest pyramids of teotihuacan are called sun and moon :p

well I like the water.
at least as long I have that item that protects me from wild pokemon (sry dunno the EN name as I'm german and usually play in German or Japanese, usually both since gen6)
without that there's gonna be an endless tubat-style assault from that poison jellyfish or any other annoying water type

To be honest, I'm relatively happy with all of this, and you can't expect much from a mascot legendary. But the "beast that devours the sun" is WEAK TO FIRE. Why Pokemon, why.
Solgaleo Meme.jpg

@bbninjas wow, that is intresting
well yeah uploading it here would cause bandwidth problems, but well there are enough other places to upload, but I doubt nintendo would allow that even though I want that thing too.

Screw it, I found it.
on this so-called "official" press site on pokemon (I cant verify whether it's official so I dont really call it official for now.)
http://pokemon.gamespress.com/landing.asp
select your language and the news with the legendaries, and the alola map is on the right.

I cant link directly you will always be kicked towards this landing page.

small tip: to avoid killing your browser (or your PC, right click -> save TARGET as (not save picture as, that would be the thumbnail) and wait for then 150MB to finish.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm relatively happy with all of this, and you can't expect much from a mascot legendary. But the "beast that devours the sun" is WEAK TO FIRE. Why Pokemon, why.
View attachment 10837

First off, Solgaleo isn't the god of the sun, nor its embodiment, but rather is its emissary. Secondly, it appears to be heavily based on the combination of the alchemic symbol of "The Lion That Devours The Sun", and the mythical Nemean Lion, which is also known as the Leo Zodiac sign. The latter is made easier because Solgaleo's mane is star shaped. In addition, the sign in question is ruled by the Sun, henceforth explaining the emissary part. Solgaleo, in other words, serves the Sun. Elsewhere, its Steel type refers to the Nemean Lion's hard impenetrable hide, whereas the Psychic type refers to its cosmic nature, seeing as Psychic is associated with cosmic references such as the stars and space itself.

Hope that kind of helps you out.

@G-Panthera well I can understand what you mean but solgaleo is explicitly stated as that it devours the sun. but being weak to heat/Fire does look a bit weird.

@G-Panthera well I can understand what you mean but solgaleo is explicitly stated as that it devours the sun. but being weak to heat/Fire does look a bit weird.

That is just it. The only reference to that alchemic symbol is about the devouring part. it doesn't go further than that. Solgaleo isn't green, and doesn't do anything that relates it to acid. The alchemic symbol in question depicts a "green" lion and the use of acid to dissolve metals to create gold and is compared to plants using photosynthesis. That's pretty much it. And that is only referring to the chemical meaning.

Based on that depiction, Solgaleo should be a Grass/Poison type, as acid is a aspect of the Poison type in the Pokémon universe.

More than likely, Solgaleo is based on the physiological meaning of the alchemic symbol, not its chemical approach. The Nemean Lion also has a much stronger basis for Solgaleo's creation, especially if one includes the Steel typing. Otherwise, Solgaleo should have been Psychic/Fire, which its not.

http://atlanteangardens.blogspot.nl/2014/06/alchemy-green-lion-devouring-sun.html

That said, regarding the photosynthesis part, I expect that Solgaleo can learn things like Solarbeam, Morning Sun and perhaps Energy Ball as to emphasize its link to the sun, whether its through TM or through its own move set, whatever it contains. I also expect Solgaleo to learn several Fire-type attacks to make its link to the sun that much stronger. For the Green Lion aspect, its possible that Solgaleo's shiny form may be green, although I think it might be black.

I dont even have anything against the typing of psychic steel, only saying that it looks weird that it's actually weak to fire, especially to people who dont know alchemy and stuff.

First off, Solgaleo isn't the god of the sun, nor its embodiment, but rather is its emissary. Secondly, it appears to be heavily based on the combination of the alchemic symbol of "The Lion That Devours The Sun", and the mythical Nemean Lion, which is also known as the Leo Zodiac sign. The latter is made easier because Solgaleo's mane is star shaped. In addition, the sign in question is ruled by the Sun, henceforth explaining the emissary part. Solgaleo, in other words, serves the Sun. Elsewhere, its Steel type refers to the Nemean Lion's hard impenetrable hide, whereas the Psychic type refers to its cosmic nature, seeing as Psychic is associated with cosmic references such as the stars and space itself.

Hope that kind of helps you out.
Makes sense. It was just my initial impression. But thanks.

I dont even have anything against the typing of psychic steel, only saying that it looks weird that it's actually weak to fire, especially to people who dont know alchemy and stuff.

Alright, fair enough. That said, ever thought of the possibility that Solgaleo may be a White Dwarf star instead?

Makes sense. It was just my initial impression. But thanks.

No problem. Glad to be of assistance!;)

Alright, fair enough. That said, ever thought of the possibility that Solgaleo may be a White Dwarf star instead?
well U can for sure tell you do not know that much about those, except that iirc smaller stars that are pretty much at the end of their life.

That is just it. The only reference to that alchemic symbol is about the devouring part. it doesn't go further than that. Solgaleo isn't green, and doesn't do anything that relates it to acid. The alchemic symbol in question depicts a "green" lion and the use of acid to dissolve metals to create gold and is compared to plants using photosynthesis. That's pretty much it. And that is only referring to the chemical meaning.

Based on that depiction, Solgaleo should be a Grass/Poison type, as acid is a aspect of the Poison type in the Pokémon universe.

More than likely, Solgaleo is based on the physiological meaning of the alchemic symbol, not its chemical approach. The Nemean Lion also has a much stronger basis for Solgaleo's creation, especially if one includes the Steel typing. Otherwise, Solgaleo should have been Psychic/Fire, which its not.

http://atlanteangardens.blogspot.nl/2014/06/alchemy-green-lion-devouring-sun.html

That said, regarding the photosynthesis part, I expect that Solgaleo can learn things like Solarbeam, Morning Sun and perhaps Energy Ball as to emphasize its link to the sun, whether its through TM or through its own move set, whatever it contains. I also expect Solgaleo to learn several Fire-type attacks to make its link to the sun that much stronger. For the Green Lion aspect, its possible that Solgaleo's shiny form may be green, although I think it might be black.

I've red a speculation somewhere that the steel typing is a reference to the "gold purification" part, since it purifies gold, which basically is metal.

I've red a speculation somewhere that the steel typing is a reference to the "gold purification" part, since it purifies gold, which basically is metal.

Unfortuately, that description includes the use of acid, which relates to the Poison type, and seeing as Solgaleo isn't a Poison type, it doesn't really work. What can work, however, is that Solgaleo itself is the purified metal in question, hence why it has the Full Metal Body ability, keeping itself pure and untainted from stat-lowering abilities and moves.

The giant tree on the far left island kinda reminds me of Yggdrasil. And the XYZ legendary is based on creatures that live in that tree. So, maybe this is our connection to Kalos?

You know, I thought along the same line. Yggdrasil is, after all, known as "The World Tree", connecting the 9 worlds. So, yeah, it's an interesting idea.
Like, once you've defeated E4, that island opens up, and you can go to any of the 6 former Regions. How cool wouldn't that be...?!

Back