Rotation in Japan?

Ursus

Aspiring Trainer
What is the current format in Japan and what are the popular and tier 1 decks? Is this any indication of what our format will be next season?

The format in Japan is BW-on.
I don't know much about the japanese format, except that tornadus donk is tier 1 over there.

The format in Japan is HGSS-on, not BW-on - although there's a lot more emphasis on the BW cards. Professor Oak's New Theory is still legal, and that only existed in the HS1 set.

Other high-placing decks include Darkrai variants, Eel decks, Empoleon, and Corners.

Futachimaru said:
I'm 99.9% sure that Japan's format is BW-on. With lots of Eels.
And when did it change? I remember you showing me a link with the top 4 decks in the recent tournaments and, although most of the cards were BW-on in the decks, cards like Collector, Dual Ball, and PONT were still legal.
Has it changed since then?

There is no offical format in Japan, some tournaments are BW-on,some HGSS-on and some are using the Palace Format. the japan nationals format was BW-on.

Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
The format in Japan is HGSS-on, not BW-on - although there's a lot more emphasis on the BW cards. Professor Oak's New Theory is still legal, and that only existed in the HS1 set.

Other high-placing decks include Darkrai variants, Eel decks, Empoleon, and Corners.

100% wrong. Japan is BW-On as of a few weeks ago. The main decks are Dragon varients, Eel Varients, Darkrai Varients, and Toolboxes.

Shaymin Lv.X said:
There is no offical format in Japan, some tournaments are BW-on,some HGSS-on and some are using the Palace Format. the japan nationals format was BW-on.

Where did you get this info? They do have an official format for sanctioned tournaments which include Gym Challenges, Regionals, Nationals, etc.

Puff said:
The format in Japan is BW-on.
I don't know much about the japanese format, except that tornadus donk is tier 1 over there.

Tornadus Donk is not tier 1

Futachimaru said:
I'm 99.9% sure that Japan's format is BW-on. With lots of Eels.

Eels is actually not that big

DNA said:
And when did it change? I remember you showing me a link with the top 4 decks in the recent tournaments and, although most of the cards were BW-on in the decks, cards like Collector, Dual Ball, and PONT were still legal.
Has it changed since then?
So, that means the answer to my question is yes, it has changed since then. I think I was given the link a couple months ago. Doubt resolved.

Winning list of Japanese Nationals:

383384_271299976299148_100002574422819_529726_1033233229_n.jpg

That guy has way too much money to burn, but wow, that looks like a tremendously effective deck...and yep, it's BW-on.

Yeah Darkrai EX-Hydreigon DB won Japanese nats Garchomp-Altaria got second :)

Yay people using Bianca.

That actually is a very good deck, not surprised it won.

where's Rayquaza in any of these top 2 decks or is not that good....
i love this deck just b/c it totally abuses those special energy cards, lol.

a deck with stage 2 won japanese nationals... so much for basics dominating the format. The dragons finally corrected the power balance.

I'd still like to know where you the got that picture/list from. (couldn't find it on the Ptcg blog or sic-tournament blog)

this new info also helps us prepare for our next format. It looks to certainly be BW-on, maybe EP/NV-on depending on when we get a new base-set. The amount of reprints (force of nature, shiny pokemon, DE supporters) in recent months make the latter viable, as none of the current top decks would lose any special cards in those cuts.

It's happened before, when the format jumped to MD-on instead of SW-on, like people had predicted.

yeah it is kinda cool to know that i didn't waste my time just taking candies from every1 at the pr....yeah to a solid investment :p

Top Cut Results of the Japanese Nationals the deck won at:

Top 4

1st - Hydreigon + Darkrai EX
2nd - Garchomp + Altaria
3rd - Eelektrik + Zekrom + Mewtwo EX + Raikou EX
4th - Mewtwo EX + Terrakion EX + Bouffalant

Top 8

Empoleon + Terrakion + Mew EX
Gothitelle + Accelgor + Mew EX + Darkrai EX + Musharna
Ho-Oh EX + Tornadus EX
Eelektrik + Zekrom + Mewtwo EX

Top 16

Hydreigon + Darkrai EX
Eelektrik + Zekrom + Mewtwo EX + Raikou EX
Eelektrik + Zekrom + Mewtwo EX + Raikou EX + Tornadus EX
Darkrai EX + Mewtwo EX + Tornadus EX + Tornadus
Mewtwo EX + Terrakion
Garchomp + Altaria
Darkrai EX + Mewtwo EX + Bouffalant
Mewtwo EX + Terrakion EX + Terrakion + Sigilyph + Stunfisk

Now that's a much more diverse format than HGSS-On (our current format), what do we have instead? CMT, ZekEels (still great post-rotation), Terrakion variants, Durant, Dark.dec, and I think that's about it for now unless something changes in Battle Roads coming soon. What's funny about those Tournament Results is that Rayquaza EX is nowhere to be found and here we've been hyping it's success so it didn't live up to the hype.

You don't have cards like Shaymin UL, Junk Arm, Professor Oak's New Theory, Smeargle, and many other cards that make the format faster and more donk favorable. Of course, donk is still there but not as strong with a HGSS-On format. You now have Stage 2 decks with Empoleon, Garchomp, and Hydreigon being dominant again and that sounds like a great sigh of relief when you take the HGSS Sets out of the equation. Makes me wonder what they used to search for Basics since they don't have Dual Ball or Collector in the
BW-On format.

Card Slinger J said:
Makes me wonder what they used to search for Basics since they don't have Dual Ball or Collector in the
BW-On format.

I would assume Ultra Ball in almost every deck, and then Level/Heavy Balls in the decks that have enough targets.

no rayquaza ex is still surprising me to end but w/e i guess since the other dragons are so good it makes raqyauza bad b/c it's an ex. glad to c stage twos doing insanely well. actually i was incredibly surprised seeing multiple decs using mew ex tbh i really don't think it's as good as it was when it was 1st printed

Back