Returning player questions

TheMagnificentManatee

King of all manatees
Hey everyone! I really hope I'm posting this in the right place, if not I apologize.

So I stopped playing the Pokemon TCG about half a year ago (right around the launch of plasma blast). However, I really want to start playing again but I'm a bit confused by all the new decks, so I was wondering if you guys could help me out :) I would basically just like to know what the current metagame is (top decks, top cards) as well as any new mechanics that might have been introduced while I was gone.

Thanks in advance everyone! I can't wait to get back into the game :D

First of all, welcome back, we're glad to see new and returning TCG players! To answer your questions, here they are.

1. Big metagame decks:
-Blastoise
-RayBoar
-Accelgor/Trevenant
-Plasma (TDK)
-Virizion/Genesect
-Accelgor/Trevenant
-Darkrai
-Darkrai w/ Yveltal
-Darkrai/Garbodor
-Fairies with Aromatisse
-Yveltal with Aromatisse
-Dragonite

And much, much more.

2. Rule changes and new mechanics:
-Pokemon Catcher now requires a flip, making it functionally identical to Pokemon Reversal
-The player who goes first can't attack
-Mega Pokemon-EX, which end your turn when you play them from your hand to one of your Pokemon

I think that's about it. I hope I helped!

Apart from all those decks:

-Toolbox
-Empoleon/Dusknoir
-Cofagrius/Sableye

2.-
Also, you must have either 4 Professor Juniper or 4 Professor Sycamore, you can't have 2-2, 3-1, 1-3, etc.

Eron said:
Apart from all those decks:

-Toolbox
-Empoleon/Dusknoir
-Cofagrius/Sableye

2.-
Also, you must have either 4 Professor Juniper or 4 Professor Sycamore, you can't have 2-2, 3-1, 1-3, etc.

While I know that Empoleon is going to come back (and I'm going to bring it back), would you necessarily consider Cofragrigus/Sableye meta? To be honest, I've never really even heard of that deck.

Thanks for the answers guys :) Really interesting that they changed the rules for the one who starts, didn't really see that one coming :) Good to know!

Does anyone know which sets are currently leagl in the TCG, and which sets will be getting rotated out? I would greatly appreciate the help you guys, im brand new to the game and dont know much so want to make a smart investment deck wise for the up comming format :)

Mr.Pokeman said:
Does anyone know which sets are currently leagl in the TCG, and which sets will be getting rotated out? I would greatly appreciate the help you guys, im brand new to the game and dont know much so want to make a smart investment deck wise for the up comming format :)

Next Destinies
Dark Explorers
Dragons Exalted
Boundaries Crossed
Plasma Storm
Plasma Freeze
Plasma Blast
Legendary Treasures
XY Base Set

No one knows which will be rotated. I made a thread to discuss about that. We expect to be BCR-ON or PLS-ON.

Eron said:
Mr.Pokeman said:

Next Destinies
Dark Explorers
Dragons Exalted
Boundaries Crossed
Plasma Storm
Plasma Freeze
Plasma Blast
Legendary Treasures
XY Base Set

No one knows which will be rotated. I made a thread to discuss about that. We expect to be BCR-ON or PLS-ON.

could you link me to the thread please?

Back