ReBurst: Pokemon for Adults

XieRH

Aspiring Trainer
tumblr_lhfta0z3DB1qam24no1_500.gif

Well it's coming to haunt us now, that supposed manga aimed at "older" fans which debuts in WSS (about less than 48 hrs approx after this post). Might as well initiate a discussion thread for future use.

I'm hearing stuff abut it from the tumblr circles that are mildly unsettling, including something I do not wish to post here yet until it sinks in properly in my mind.

Pok%C3%A9mon_R%C3%A9BURST.png

Artist is Mitsuhisa Tamura. Pretty much first thing I did was google his name and Beyblade to see if there was any correlation in the art styles...

...and nope. He is mostly credited for Bakegyamon, a manga series I have no idea about (but I can see the art style correlation).

Blonde girl left from center reminds me of some Azumanga Daioh character.

Further comments later.

UPDATE: Ok... mind's clear now. Here we go.
48048123.png

Let's examine 2 very wrong things here.

1. People cannot turn into Zekroms.
2. ...and vice versa

This manga is potentially going to go against those two rules. More significantly (although this is just a guess on my part), it might extend that further. One step further.

Which means we could end up with humans becoming pokemon, possibly with stereotypical Magical Transformation Sequence involved.

Digimon_Frontier.jpg

We'll see what happens on Wednesday.

Discuss.

(btw if Ryouga yells "heeeeenshin~!" before turning into a Zekrom, I instantly quit)

RE: ReBurst

Aw man....

Why did they do this?! People only want to do that for fanservice! Nobod likes that!

I'm dissapointed. Also, the eyes that he makes are a bit annoying...

Rawr. :3

Ok saw the raws. Doesn't seem like much. Has a very strong Gen V vibe courtesy of there being nothing but Gen V pokemon.

Oh and it turns out he doesn't seem to actually become a Zekrom but more like some weird Zekrom-cosplay-like-shounen-action-cliche-fighting-person-thing. NOTE: I quit reading Bleach precisely because it stagnated into little more than shounen-action-cliche-fighting-whatchamacallit. Will reserve final verdict for when I do read scanlations or synopsis but I'm almost ready to pass on this manga like all the other pokemon mangas that are not pokespe

Actually this tbh is not a good place to discuss manga (after 1 day to think about it, I presume this thread won't live past next week unless something fantastic happens with ReBurst). Serebii's forums would be much better. The fanbase here is... how shall I put it, mainly TCG-based.

The guy turns into Zekrom? Wow that's not pokemon at all pokemon is about catching pokemon not turning into one!

Sorry for being off topic but the second image wont display on my screen and I would like to see it so I can understand what you mean my people turning into zekrom.

...Okay.

Well, yeah, I knew RéBURST would be awful. Glad to see I don't have to read yet another horrible Pokémon manga.

I haven't checked enough to find out...

According to tvtropes, "The plot centers around "Burst", the ability to use crystals with Pokémon stored in them to transform into human-Pokémon hybrids."

...while the idea is still somewhat amusingly weird to me, I give credit at least to them for going with an approach in pokemon where the humans for once get more involved rather than the typical scenario of just standing there and barking orders at their pokemon

Yeah, that sounds absurdly stupid. Luckily, this is just a branch of the real Pokémon canon, so I'll ignore it until it goes away.

All those haters just don't like new things.
And hey; it's still a new manga. You can't expect every single thing to go perfectly in an introduction, can you?
I personally think it's pretty cool, and will definitely have to give it a read.

@pokefan
How do you know they only hate it because it's new? what if there was some other reason why they hated it?

Enough about that.

reburst_mechanics.jpg

Well they weren't kidding about the part about having pokemon in crystals. It's literally true.

Design-wise I had kind of hoped for a more elegant approach rather than person's-head-on-an-anthro-Zekrom's-body. Which unfortunately is what most Zekrom gijinka fanart look like as far as I saw. IMO given a spectrum with Human-like on one side and Pokemon-like on the other side, keeping it mostly human would be a safer approach like this pic I found
tumblr_li13qg06Jh1qetv46o1_500.png

It doesn't have a very strong and explicit pokemon vibe, but the "clothing style" approach works for me because it keeps the pokemon factor subtle within the human context. In fact it's an approach that works so well that it's how most gijinka designs work, they maintain the human form and style the hair and clothing with the pokemon's theme. I'd probably find Ryoga's transformation a lot less silly if the design had went on a different direction. I just hope the other characters transformations are 20 times better (because that's what it's going to take for me to want to like their designs)

The way it was done with Ryoga there, I'm just grateful it wasn't some other weird pokemon.
67400380.jpg

I say lets not judge it to quickly, I mean come on no has even read it yet right? Maybe a big change like this is what the pokemon manga needs. Who knows it could turn out to be great. The illustration looks awesome in my opinion.

^^What kind of hat just has ear flaps and no top? That's just foolish. (And yes, that's the first thing that came to mind, not the whole Bidoof thing.)

zekrom52 said:
I mean come on no has even read it yet right?

I have. Albeit not in English (had chinese trad. scanlations). Does that count for something? :D

zekrom52 said:
Maybe a big change like this is what the pokemon manga needs. Who knows it could turn out to be great. The illustration looks awesome in my opinion.

tbh I never really felt the manga needed anything (except for the PLATNUM ARC TO HURRY UP)...

There's actually a ton of pokemon manga. Most of which the westerners dont even know exist. I've never really seen many on-Asian members of the manga fandom.

YakobTheRed said:
What kind of hat just has ear flaps and no top?

I think thats a headband or something, doesnt look like a hat to me.

99% of anime-style apparel and clothing are just plain weird. The artists pass it off as style.

In fact this is especially true in pokemon character design. Look at Shaga he has friggin spikes on his shoulders. You have any idea how foolish that looks?

Yeah. But maybe I'm just trolling this thread for the laughter, given that I have no interest whatsoever in manga. Sorry, I'm a jerk like that. ;)

But in all fairness, there are some designs that are genuinely cool. Brandon's Emerald get-up, for example. (Well, apart from the whole shorts-over-trousers thing. That's a bit daft.) That funky hat is sweet. And it's always funny to watch fanboy/girls and shippers (shudder) argue about whether or not it's a headband and if his sideburns are the right colour.

And Lucas's Platinum look is just hilariously foppish. Beret and tie/cravat-shaped scarf? I say!

EDIT: Wait, what... there's some filter changing lulz to lulz... That sucks majorly. Consider it circumvented.

^^ Yea because that head band is the weirdest thing anyone has ever worn in a Manga right? Ya'll are just lookin for things to gripe about...

Back