News 'Rayquaza vs. Keldeo Battle Arena Deck' in September!

Ugh, more Rayquaza? I'm kinda getting sick of seeing so much Rayquaza lately, especially in the tcg. I won't lie, it is a good card, but they can only print so many before I just feel like it's getting a little out of hand.

I still haven't gotten the Mewtwo/Darkrai battle deck haha I wonder if I can even still find it in stores...

Let's get ahead here and assume the 2017 Battle Arena Decks will have an EX card from Plasma Storm, and an EX card from Plasma Freeze. Which ones do you want them to be?

Wasn't Expanded basically stated from the outset to be eternally BW-on?

They should just call it Modern haha. Maybe there would be less confusion. I mean, Expanded does sound like Extended, you know, that MTG format where instead of 2 blocks, it had 5 blocks of sets that are legal?

But seriously. Usually people produce a liter of spit per day, but when I think about the Battle Arena deck, I produce a liter of spit per hour.

That kind of confusion seems to only extend from your comparing it to Magic. I don't see how it's more confusing than literally any other name you could give it otherwise. (And it's a pretty well-suited name. Expanded makes it clear there's more cards than Standard, and Unlimited's existence makes it clear it's not a universal format.) Expanded is clearly meant to be "balanced Unlimited". They can't include older cards because the formats were very different, and cards that were the norm would be stupid now. (Hell, even something as recent as Junk Arm would rip the format wide open.)

As I mentioned before... I really couldn't care less about the Battle Arena decks. I don't play Expanded, have no reason TO play Expanded, and have been playing for a long time, and hence have most of the stuff FOR Expanded in the first place. So barring Standard-legal reprints that are actually worth the high price of the deck... Not for me.

Cool, I love water decks, so holo waters rock my socks and the VS Seeker is always good. I guess that means price with lower, being so readily available. But I got plenty of Keldeo already and Rayquaza? Bummer. Wish we got newer stuff and not expanded junk. I know Rayquay isnt yet but rotation is looming and I'm taking bets on if it'll eat Roaring Skies, Primal or up to Magma/Aqua...Always hard to predict but Keldeo is lucky, he should still be expanded being in Treasures and stuff. I wouldn't have minded a Charizard EX or Gengar EX Arena deck though...Really wish Pokemon would consider spirit links for the linkless. Donate, Pokemon, donate to the linkless Pokemon in the gutter. Please, think of the guttermon.

Edit: Or did Rayquaza get reprinted as a promo? I forget, i'm getting old...
There is no way they're going to rotate out a set that is just barely a year old.

By the time September comes around, it'll have been a year old and a few months. But likely, it'll only go to Phantom Forces.

That kind of confusion seems to only extend from your comparing it to Magic. I don't see how it's more confusing than literally any other name you could give it otherwise. (And it's a pretty well-suited name. Expanded makes it clear there's more cards than Standard, and Unlimited's existence makes it clear it's not a universal format.) Expanded is clearly meant to be "balanced Unlimited". They can't include older cards because the formats were very different, and cards that were the norm would be stupid now. (Hell, even something as recent as Junk Arm would rip the format wide open.)

As I mentioned before... I really couldn't care less about the Battle Arena decks. I don't play Expanded, have no reason TO play Expanded, and have been playing for a long time, and hence have most of the stuff FOR Expanded in the first place. So barring Standard-legal reprints that are actually worth the high price of the deck... Not for me.

The confusion comes from people thinking expanded is a rotating format that has a more sets in it, kind of like Extended in Magic. I was thinking that there may be players who play both Pokemon TCG and Magic, so if Expanded was called Modern, there would be less confusion. You may think it isn't confusing, but as you can see, some people are still confused by it, and they may also be MTG players, who used the terms "Extended" to mean "Standard", but with more sets and a set rotation. I'm not confused by it, I'm just stating some of the things that may cause confusion in some people, especially with the word "expandED", as in, past tense, something that did the act of expanding in the past.

When I think of the word Expanded, it means something that was expanding, but stopped expanding. The act of the number of sets expanding is still in place, because as time goes on, and more sets are released, the format will have a growing number of sets. When someone thinks of the word expanded, the act of expanding has been done in the past, that is, the act of having more sets in the format, and thus, if something is expanded, it means that the number of sets in the format grew from standard, but remained constant, thus a set rotation. It has nothing to do with me comparing Pokemon TCG to MTG, although using the word "modern" will lessen the confusion due to some players who play both MTG and Pokemon TCG, but using the past tense of the verb "expand" causes a lot of confusion, because the number of sets in "expanded" is constantly expanding, as if it was happening in the present.

A better term is to not use the past tense of a verb that means "to increase in size". Then maybe people won't be confused.

Last edited:
But... That's exactly what it is. It's a bigger format than Standard. (But not Unlimited.) Personally, "Expanded" doesn't have any tense connotations to me in that kind of a context. It just means that it's bigger than something else. Whether it's continuing to get bigger or not.

These products are a great way for newer players to get A. staple cards (e.g. VS Seeker) and B. cards for Expanded Format.

More of this please!

Accessibility of this Keldeo is great. If its half as good as the previous two entries, and the Xerneas/Yveltal one in particular, it'll be worth purchasing.

I hate that these Ex-cards are printed a bit differently than the originals from the booster packs. Not everyone knows the difference, so when I buy cards online I sometimes end up with the wrong version. I still need the original Darkrai Ex instead of the 'matte' from the BA decks. :(

Just correcting the point in the article that said the Keldeo came from Legendary Treasures. While Keldeo was reprinted in Legendary Treasures, the symbol on this Keldeo is the one from Boundaries Crossed. Here is the symbol.

Attachments

• boundaries crossed.PNG
    boundaries crossed.PNG
    867 bytes · Views: 3
Just correcting the point in the article that said the Keldeo came from Legendary Treasures. While Keldeo was reprinted in Legendary Treasures, the symbol on this Keldeo is the one from Boundaries Crossed. Here is the symbol.

Huh, when I looked at it before, I could have sworn it was the Legendary Treasures symbol. I even looked it up to make sure, because I would have thought that the BCR print would have made more sense anyway. But now it looks more like BCR to me after all. My brain is officially crazy. I'll go ahead and change it.

I'll bet the Rayquaza deck will come with 4 holo fire and 4 holo lightning energy.

It is nice that it usually comes with competitive cards but it sucks that the EX's inside of them have been competitively useless since they're out of standard rotation.

I LOVE these battle arena decks, they're always a fun match up against each other, they make for great fair casual games without having to worry about whether either deck is capable of annihilate the other.

I do hope that they make each subsequent set about the same level as the Mewtwo vs Darkrai decks, so in the future you and a friend could just grab a random deck and be able to have a fair match with Deck A from set #2 and Deck B from set #6 or whatever.

Back