News Ravaged Plains from SM4 Revealed!

What?

Gladion lets you look at all your face down prize cards. So you know which is which. Then you pick one of them.

It's the same as if gladion said "Flip all your prize cards face up. Switch one with this card, then put them all face down"
Oh, wow, you're right, I misread it.

On the subject of Gladion, with my literal first exposure I thought it sounded pretty awesome; get the card out of your Prizes you want most, then slap Gladion in there so that you can do it again later (if need be). After mulling it over, I need to agree with @Xeynid and @Yog and the others questioning its general value. For decks that do not take many or any Prizes or that cannot take Prizes if any copies of [insert key card] are Prized, this could prove invaluable.

For the rest of us, you're burning a Supporter to see your Prizes and replace one of them with Gladion; not bad, but not great. You're looking at 10% of your maximum deck size, so what happens when there is nothing worth it in your Prizes? If you know ahead of time, then Gladion becomes a dead card, which isn't a dealbreaker but does matter. If you don't know, then it is a bit like using Skyla when you didn't realize all your key Trainer cards were gone. The Skyla comparison is also useful because what happens when you really need a Supporter out of your Prizes? You get it, but you have to hope it is still relevant on your next turn.

As the card only works with facedown Prize cards and shuffles itself into them at the end of its effect, you're not Prizes ahead (which would be broken XP) and it interferes with other cards. @CaptZero, if you look through your deck with an Ultra Ball, you should have a good idea (if not know exactly) what cards are in your Prizes. ;) For those who just want an easier way to know what is in the Prizes but don't want to run Town Map, we've got Here Comes Team Rocket! Mixed blessing that it works on your opponent as well.

Now for a bit of a tangent...

This set REALLY loves prize cards, nice to see a mechanic that has been in the game forever expanded upon further.

Yes and no.

I've come to dislike the "Prize Card" mechanic over the years. It adds an unneeded "luck" factor as you cannot even count on all the cards you selected for your deck actually being in your deck. XP Are certain cards balanced by it? Eh, maybe; I've never liked this kind of "balance", though. I doubt they would ever eliminate the mechanic, replacing it with an alternate mean of tracking KO's but I wouldn't mind seeing it revised so that a player selects six cards from the deck to put into his or her Prizes. This would make a great place "in decks" for the late game or matchup specific cards you don't think you'll need this game.

Gladions not bad, but the reason I didn't want it reaviled is that I was asking pokemon about a custom set, and he was one of the cards I reagested not to be made until they'd say the set. I guess I'll have to change it name to Gladions Suport.

Gladion is good. If you play Tapu lele and realise something is in the prizes you really need. You grab gladion and fix it up. Risk is you prize the card you want and gladion that would suck hard. And if you don't need it then it can be used to discard.

On the subject of Gladion, with my literal first exposure I thought it sounded pretty awesome; get the card out of your Prizes you want most, then slap Gladion in there so that you can do it again later (if need be). After mulling it over, I need to agree with @Xeynid and @Yog and the others questioning its general value. For decks that do not take many or any Prizes or that cannot take Prizes if any copies of [insert key card] are Prized, this could prove invaluable.

For the rest of us, you're burning a Supporter to see your Prizes and replace one of them with Gladion; not bad, but not great. You're looking at 10% of your maximum deck size, so what happens when there is nothing worth it in your Prizes? If you know ahead of time, then Gladion becomes a dead card, which isn't a dealbreaker but does matter. If you don't know, then it is a bit like using Skyla when you didn't realize all your key Trainer cards were gone. The Skyla comparison is also useful because what happens when you really need a Supporter out of your Prizes? You get it, but you have to hope it is still relevant on your next turn.

As the card only works with facedown Prize cards and shuffles itself into them at the end of its effect, you're not Prizes ahead (which would be broken XP) and it interferes with other cards. @CaptZero, if you look through your deck with an Ultra Ball, you should have a good idea (if not know exactly) what cards are in your Prizes. ;) For those who just want an easier way to know what is in the Prizes but don't want to run Town Map, we've got Here Comes Team Rocket! Mixed blessing that it works on your opponent as well.

Now for a bit of a tangent...

Yes and no.

I've come to dislike the "Prize Card" mechanic over the years. It adds an unneeded "luck" factor as you cannot even count on all the cards you selected for your deck actually being in your deck. XP Are certain cards balanced by it? Eh, maybe; I've never liked this kind of "balance", though. I doubt they would ever eliminate the mechanic, replacing it with an alternate mean of tracking KO's but I wouldn't mind seeing it revised so that a player selects six cards from the deck to put into his or her Prizes. This would make a great place "in decks" for the late game or matchup specific cards you don't think you'll need this game.

I think the great thing about this game is the randomness of the prizes. It adds an element of disruption to a deck that the player has to overcome. I wouldn't want it removed as it is a bit of a leveller.

Wait, by the artwork... does this card take place in Kalos? It looks very similar in look to that one desert area in the game. But pretty okay card anyway, dont see decks that are going to take huge advantage of it.

I am pretty certain Gladion's hand is possessed because he always seems to be at war with it.

Lol I always think he's got a bit of liquid snake going on - interested to see how his character is developed in ultra sun and Moon.

Art for it is sick - would love some jumbos of many of these sun moon series full art trainers.

Gladion will be very good in decks that rely on specific pieces( like pokemon or items) in order for their deck to work. You can get these pieces out without taking a k.o. Sounds good to me!

you might as well use rotom dex instead, its an item, so you dont waste a supportor slot in your deck, and for a turn. I used rotom dex in some of my deck, and its pretty good at getting the cards that were missing into my deck. gladion requires you to randomly choose one and it hopefully its a good card.

But you don't know what you could be taking from the top of your deck, so I rather Gladion. If anything.

I think the great thing about this game is the randomness of the prizes. It adds an element of disruption to a deck that the player has to overcome. I wouldn't want it removed as it is a bit of a leveller.

That's what I thought back in 1999. I didn't start contemplating game mechanics until many years later. You're entitled to your own option, but I'd like to explain how I arrived at my conclusion. Don't care? No worries, I'm putting it behind spoiler tags. ;)

When you're someone like a Poképarent playing a kid, added "luck" factors help keep the game interesting, and avoid it being a shutout (whether because you're teaching your kid or because your kid is schooling you XP).

Just about any other time, it is horribly unfair. If a player earns an advantage over another, luck doesn't balance things out, it robs the skilled player. A corollary is if a bad player has earned a disadvantage, he or she may also be saved by "luck". I am still not opposed to luck being in the game, however, I just know there are two major luck factors already:

1) Luck of the draw: That's the entire point of having to shuffle your deck. It isn't random in the sense 60 random cards were thrown together, it is random in the idea that their order is unknown to you. You're only guaranteed a single card drawn from the top at the start of your turn; even though you'll draw and/or search out cards during a game, those are "paid" for by the cards which provide those effects.

2) Luck of the match-up: Two equally good decks may not be equally matched against each other, even if all other factors are also equal. This alone creates yet another element of luck.

All this before we factor in the luck of going first or various coin flip based card effects, but those are intended to be "balanced" (though I am more than happy to move away from at least single coin flip effects because 50-50 odds are just too random).

So, while none of this is a huge problem for casual play, for competitive play, it can really defeat the purpose. In the end, I think it creates a net loss in skill; if you fight your way past "bad Prizes", it does demonstrate your skill but what about the games where you can't overcome it... your opponent benefited from your bad luck. Luck which didn't need to be there.

Back