Random Facts Thread!

cyndalaphlosion

Aspiring Trainer
This is the weird facts thread, post the most random fact you've ever heard
or several weird things that you got from a book, show etc. Here's my fact. Meganeura is a GIANT dragonfly from the Carboniferous period and had a wingspan of 2ft.! (maybe thats were they get the "mega" in yanmega...)

So post!

I've heard a few, but one that really blew me away is the fact that it is apparently illegal to look at a moose from an aeroplane in Alaska o_0! I'm from England btw so I have no idea how I heard of this fact.

Take two...

In Yellowstone, the native bison crossing the streets often cause traffic jams. The longest recorded jam stretched ninety miles, all due to stubborn bison.

In Oklahoma, whaling is illegal. Which is stupid since Oklahoma is in the middle of the Great Plains/Heartland, nowhere near the ocean

Just a heads up to keep things quality, and spam-free :) If things get to spammy, I'll most likely have to lock this.

All of the Salem Witch Trials occurred in what was then known as Salem Village, constituting of what today are the towns of Danvers, Topsfield, and others. None happened in what was then Salem Town, which is today's Salem and small parts of Marblehead.

Juliacoolo said:
Just a heads up to keep things quality, and spam-free :) If things get to spammy, I'll most likely have to lock this.

Hope I'm not mini-modding here JC, but I think people who post here should include a little bit about the crazy law. That way the posts are spam-free and intelligent posts.

Sweet Dawn Berlitz said:
Hope I'm not mini-modding here JC, but I think people who post here should include a little bit about the crazy law. That way the posts are spam-free and intelligent posts.

I agree with your point. I don't think you are minimodding.

Sweet Dawn Berlitz said:
I concur, but its not about crazy laws. It's about random, interesting facts.

The hit TV Show The Office will lose it main actor, Steve Carrel (playing manager Michael Scott), after this upcoming season. He says he's leaving to spend more time with his family, and to pursue a film career.

Bulbabuddy said:
The hit TV Show The Office will lose it main actor, Steve Carrel (playing manager Michael Scott), after this upcoming season. He says he's leaving to spend more time with his family, and to pursue a film career.

I was unaware of this.
I'm...not...crying...

ANYWAYS.

Rather than a bear, the California state flag was originally supposed to be a pear.

How's that for a weird fact?

Bamboo can grow up to four feet in one day.

The more you know...

Now! To make this post less spammy, I consulted the all-powerful Wkipedia and got this :

"Bamboo is the fastest-growing woody plant on Earth; it has been measured surging skyward as fast as 121 cm (48 in) in a 24-hour period,[2] and can also reach maximal growth rate exceeding one metre (39 inches) per hour for short periods of time. Many prehistoric bamboos exceeded heights of 85 metres (279 ft)[citation needed]. Primarily growing in regions of warmer climates during the Cretaceous period, vast fields existed in what is now Asia."

"Several Asian cultures, including that of the Andaman Islands, believe that humanity emerged from a bamboo stem. In the Philippine creation myth, legend tells that the first man and the first woman each emerged from split bamboo stems on an island created after the battle of the elemental forces (Sky and Ocean). In Malaysian legends a similar story includes a man who dreams of a beautiful woman while sleeping under a bamboo plant; he wakes up and breaks the bamboo stem, discovering the woman inside. The Japanese folktale "Tale of the Bamboo Cutter" (Taketori Monogatari) tells of a princess from the Moon emerging from a shining bamboo section."

"Bamboo is used in several East Asian and South Asian martial arts. For example, in the ancient Tamil martial art of Silambam, fighters would hit each other rapidly with bamboo sticks."

Also, bamboo is delicious in stir-fry ^.^

The word, 'gregarious', meaning "seeking and enjoying the company of others", comes from the latin word, gregarius, meaning pertaining to a flock.

Latin isn't dead, kids. Knowing Latin can help you with all sorts of common words, like gregarious.

Bulbabuddy said:
The word, 'gregarious', meaning "seeking and enjoying the company of others", comes from the latin word, gregarius, meaning pertaining to a flock.

Latin isn't dead, kids. Knowing Latin can help you with all sorts of common words, like gregarious.

Weird you should say that...
Yesterday I was telling my friend taking Latin is pointless, since its a dead language. She informed me that (my fact #2):

Latin is used in medicine and to become a doctor you need to take Latin!

The 'Romance' languages are languages stemming from Latin. While there are nearly (or, over, counting some dead ones,) thirty. The six common ones are:

French
Spanish
Italian
Portugese
Romanian
Catalan

Contrary to popular belief, English doesn't have its roots in Latin. English is a germanic language, stemming from German. The third Germanic language is Dutch. Some English words do hail from Latin, but when this is the case it usually is from another word in a Romance language, not from latin directly.

Back in the old days, people had ropes stretched across the wooden frames. Sometimes the ropes would loosen, so they tighten them. Thats where the saying "sleep tight" came from.

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia is a fear of long words! o_0

Imagine you had this fear and someone asked you what fears you had! You can't exactly tell them that!

here are three, count em', three random facts! 1. Cats have exactly 100 vocal cords. 2. The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672. 3. The avocado has the most calories out of every single fruit in the world!

Those were three random facts!

Bulbabuddy said:

Guess what, a lot of words can be related to Latin words, even though English is a German language. Mostly the longer and more difficult words, simple words mostly have their roots in the German language.

And even though most words, as you said, may have their roots in other Latin languages instead of the original Latin language, you have to realize that the words are also pretty old themselves. So even though a word, let's say, is taken from the Italian language, it has probably has happened a long time ago. A time when there wasn't much difference between Latin and Italian, they were practically the same. And with that knowledge it's pretty hard to find out whether it used to be a Latin or Italian word in the past.

Nevertheless you can relate them to the Latin language..

shampoo-thief said:
Weird you should say that...
Yesterday I was telling my friend taking Latin is pointless, since its a dead language. She informed me that (my fact #2):

Latin is used in medicine and to become a doctor you need to take Latin!
Yes Latin is used in medicine, but no, Latin is not necessary to become a doctor. Of course, it is useful, but not necessary.

Also, despite from the fact that it might be helpful, Latin isn't a dead language. It is still spoken in Vatican.

Alright, try this:

Carnivorous animals will not eat another animal that has been struck by lighting.

Interesting... =P
WP

Wariopower said:
Alright, try this:

Carnivorous animals will not eat another animal that has been struck by lighting.

Interesting... =P
WP
Since most carnivorous animals won't eat other dead animals at all. Only the scavengers do so. And even though scavengers eat dead animals, they probably won't eat roasted meat..

I'm not trolling, but some 'facts' are so obvious they aren't even worth mentioning. Yes, the title is called 'random' facts, but still..

Back