Ruling Question on Mewtwo EX

exdarkrai01

Aspiring Trainer
I was playing a game in the ptcgo and i came across an opponent who ran nothing but mewtwo EX. He had 3 or so energies and my darkrai had 3 energies but mewtwos psy ball attack was counting energies for the benched mewtwos as well doing 160 damage after resistance. I was wondering if thats how the rules actually work because counting energies on benched mewtwos seems a bit overkill to me but i was just seeing what the actual ruling was. On the card it says "this pokemon and the defending pokemon" so i was rather surprised to see it doing that much damage but lmk.

bw45-mewtwo-ex.jpg

X-Ball only accounts for Energy attached to both player's Active Pokemon (i.e. both its user and its target). It does not count any others. It's most likely a glitch in PTCGO. You can bring it up with them.

In future, please post a card scan of the cards involved to save us looking them up, even if it's something popular like Mewtwo-EX. Thanks!
Edit: That's much better ;)

The simulator is not always right. It is only suppose to count the number of energies on it and the Defending Pokemon.~KA

...Actually, there's 1 possibility that I can think of.
If the Mewtwo had 3 DCE and the Darkrai had 3 Dark Energy, that would amount to 160 after Resistance.

Each DCE gives 40, since it's providing 2 Energy (X-Ball does not count the cards, but the Energy), so that gives you 120.
Each Dark Energy would give only 20, for 60 total.
Add those and you get 180.
Subtract for Resistance and you get 160.

But if that wasn't the situation, it's an error in PTCGO.

Back