Would I get banhammer'd?

• Yeah, totally.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Nah.

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters

giratina487

It's like a long dream...
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, so mods can move if necessary.

I recently borrowed an Action Replay from a friend of mine, and I really want to RNG for shinies (so they're legitimate, and not hacked). If I were to use the AR to find my SID, would I get banhammered at VGCs for hacking my game, even though the Pokemon I got were completely legitimate? (Please note, I'm not using the Action Replay for ANYTHING else)

RNG is not a hack just an exploit. Using a hack to work RNG, should not pop up at VGC's, as I know someone else who did that.

Awesome ^_^

I trust your opinion, but obviously I'm going to wait for a couple more people to respond before I go through with it, juuust in case.

Yeah, no problem. Its funny though, the second I brought out my Shiny Kyogre (Trade, non hacked), every one I battled was like:

"HACKER!!"

Yeah, be a little cautious, because you never know.

I can't personally confirm it, but I can at least tell you that I highly doubt that it will be flagged, since you're not modifying any Pokemon (IV's and EV's and whatnot). And an exploit? Pah. The cloning glitches were exploits. This is merely educated guessing. :D If you truly think that you need an AR, though, first consider a perfect Ditto (that is, 31 IV's in every stat) from 4th Gen RNG abuse. It won't be as easy, and you probably won't be able to get perfect Pokemon, but it will certainly help if you're not willing to use an AR (which you obviously are). Besides, I doubt that everyone there will have perfect Pokemon, unless they've all used an AR/shiny to get their Secret ID.

See, I can already get straight 31s and my desired nature pretty easily, I just want to RNG for shinies because it's fun :p

To add on to what the general opinion seems to be here, you can rest assured that they'll pass in fine; I'm sure they use Nintendo proprietary software to scan games, which means it's probably an updated version of what's built into PBR, which can be passed on the level being discussed.

However, and pardon my butt-in rant here :p, but even if the Pokémon can pass VGC hack checks, that doesn't excuse them from the fact they're illegitimate. Somewhere along the line an external device was used beyond the confines of a DS console and a Pokémon series game(s) (rendered as such by a physical connection to your game), so while for your purposes it bears no significance, in actuality the Pokémon are hacked by conventional definition, just in an indirect manner. Something to ponder…

That being said, you should check this link out if you still fear you might get disqualified, there are a few more ways you can obtain your SID without an Action Replay other than converting the PID of a preexisting shiny.

And I should add for anyone who's unaware, but flawless IV spreads are a guarantee if you can hit high delays with a simple timer. Furthermore, you don't even have to hit delay in 5th Gen Non C-Gear RNG abuse, with a multitude of flawless spreads being available on low frames due to introductory button combos that change game seeding, and shiny Pokémon can be obtained with any IV spread you like, regardless if it's flawless or not, because in Black and White the PIDRNG and MTIVRNG operate separately. Thank goodness :)

You said there are other methods? What would those be? I'm actually really interested, as I still haven't used the Action Replay quite yet.

Apparently, you can use your MAC address. I've been trying to confirm that today, but Smogon decided to go down. 4th Gen definitely has easier ways than shinies and chained shinies, though that doesn't matter here, of course. Here's a quote from another thread:

Caledrith said:
OK, the process is reletively easy(at least for legendaries) I got a perfect Adamant Zekrom using RNG. What you need is your ds mac address. you input that into ds parameters and go to the last cave of victory road. You save, note the time down to the second when u start the game(not the ds). you get in the game(without c-gear on) and immediatly use sweet scent. Catch the pokemon and input the IVs into the ds parameters. the you go to time finder and choose the method(5 standard) and choose the type of pokemon you are looking for(wild, stationary, etc) then you enter in the other stuff needed and click generate(note, this will take a LONGGGGGG time) then multiple options will appear with the date and IVs and button required to push. Any more questions go to youtube and look up bearsfan's videos...

Hope this helps!

Chariblaze said:
Apparently, you can use your MAC address. I've been trying to confirm that today, but Smogon decided to go down. 4th Gen definitely has easier ways than shinies and chained shinies, though that doesn't matter here, of course. Here's a quote from another thread:

Caledrith said:
OK, the process is reletively easy(at least for legendaries) I got a perfect Adamant Zekrom using RNG. What you need is your ds mac address. you input that into ds parameters and go to the last cave of victory road. You save, note the time down to the second when u start the game(not the ds). you get in the game(without c-gear on) and immediatly use sweet scent. Catch the pokemon and input the IVs into the ds parameters. the you go to time finder and choose the method(5 standard) and choose the type of pokemon you are looking for(wild, stationary, etc) then you enter in the other stuff needed and click generate(note, this will take a LONGGGGGG time) then multiple options will appear with the date and IVs and button required to push. Any more questions go to youtube and look up bearsfan's videos...

Hope this helps!

I already know how to RNG, I just want my SID so I can RNG for shinies.

Do the checks save even if you don't? If you use the code to check you SID, then turn off the game without saving, It seems that they don't save extra data somewhere else for an anti-hacker check somewhere.

ROM users would have known if they did have an extra save for hack checks from day one, so look into that.

When you use an AR and obviously a code to alter your game, only if you save the game data will there be some kind of a trace in its data. If you use the secret ID code to find your secret ID, then turn off your game after you've found your secret ID WITHOUT saving, the game will not have any traces in it as you technically never used the AR. Its like catching a Pokemon and then turning off without saving, its as if you never even did anything to your game since you last saved. If you just use codes to lets say walk through walls to see cool stuff and then turn off your game without saving, nothing was done to the game and so its like it was when you last saved, and if you want your game to remain without traces, make sure you NEVER save after you use an AR code. Just switch off the game once your done with finding you SID or walking through walls and your game will stay legit.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. But, as it turns out, the AR is actually broken anyways, so I guess this whole discussion was kinda pointless XD but it's good for everyone to see I think. Thanks everyone.

P.S.: I'm currently Masuda-Method Breeding for a shiny Litwick so I can find my SID legitimately.

To my knowledge, that won't work. As far as I know, you need a shiny that was randomly encountered in the wild, not bred.

In terms of PUSA's ability to detect hacks, or even cheats from AR, don't worry about it. I used straight pokesav'd pokemon at VGC '10 and i had no problems, 3 other people used clones of my same team, all got checked, and came up clean. I used the same SID checker for AR, so don't worry about it buddy.

Ok i know this is a bit old but i have a question. I wanted to start doing VGC but I hacked essentually all my pokemon in my Pokemon White (just for ease of use not because I get 31 IV's on all my pokemon or anything like that but just because i dont want to waste my time mindlessly training, my motto, strategy>fancy training) so you would never pass some scan or whatever and would be disqualified. SO I went out and bought a new game and played that through and now just finishing the main story and look at my game and thing well where do i start now? I havent ever studied the VGC so its a whole new expirence and on top of that I just dont have the resources to legally get my pokemon. So I was wondering if i hack my old game to get what i need, (example: I need a Hydregon with dark pulse and dont want to spend my time getting an Arbok on my platinum with dark pulse transphering it over to new game then breeding it. So i pokesav or hack a arbok and dieno put some good IV's on it so the baby will have a good IV spread and get all that stuff then i breed the two pokemon and wait until i get a "legit" dieno with usable stats and dark pulse. Then I EV train it in my hacked game then do all that good stuff and trade the finished product over to my new clean game.) will it pass some VGC scan so i can use it in the tornament?
Or for simple terms can i use the action replay in one game to get the pokemon i need then trade it to a clean game to use in a tornament? And will it pass any scanning they do?

Back