Prototype Blastoise Cards from 1998 Discovered, First English Pokemon Cards Ever Printed!

And I thought the shadowless cards were ugly. Still a VERY cool bit of Pokémon history! Now some of our card-fakers are going to have to try replicating the template. :p

BTW, does anyone know if the Japanese prototype cards were ever physically printed?

Last edited:
So I guess a Blastoise card with Ken Sugimori's art for Blue version was printed in English after all! I'd be neat to see a Blastoise with this art pop up in the TCG's 25th anniversary set next year.

I'm genuinely surprised that it's not Charizard. This is really cool, I didn't know that there would be cards printed before 1999 when the card game first came out. :)

wow it says on the bottom right that there is 165 cards it would be cool to see a charizard card like that.

The font really makes the prototype look clown shoes. The holo looks cheap and the black borders as implemented in the first version also look pretty bad. Glad they changed all of that. lol

Can you imagine if the person who had it passed away and his stuff went to a loved one? Someone who didnt know it was a protoype and just assumed it was a fake among his collection?

It could've been lost forever.

Can you imagine if the person who had it passed away and his stuff went to a loved one? Someone who didnt know it was a protoype and just assumed it was a fake among his collection?

It could've been lost forever.
imagine the card was ripped and then graded

Back