Project Custom-The Elite Fan Creations Tournament IT ALL STARTED HERE!

What do you think of Project Custom?

• Total voters
RE: Project Custom-The Elite Fan Creations Tournament BY INVITATION ONLY!

I really hope so.....get on MSN if you get a chance....

-Black Rayquaza

Here's my entry:

newavatarkw8.png

Background is the cloud effect on Paint.NET
Border involves making a gray border, adding shading to it, and changing the format of one of the layers (I'm not even exactly sure how it works)
Lugia is Sugimori art from Pokebeach
Font is Black Wolf from FontFreak.com
The avatar shows me. I like blue, so I made the background blue. I like a border beyond the 1px black border, so I made one. Lugia is obviously my favorite Pokemon, so I included it in the avatar.

The round is over! Can't wait for the scores!

INFERNAPE said:
The round is over! Can't wait for the scores!

In the process of posting mine now.....with some other info. Man this is a long post.

Stay Tuned,
-Black Rayquaza

Wait will you be posting the scores for all the judges?

Rounds over, people who didn't post
Bonsly1994
MUCKSTER
somebody else I think

can't wait for the scores! When can we expect them?

Well Challenge 1 Is officially OVER! Thank you so much to all who participated, helped this thread grow, and turned some fantastic art in. Since I am the head judge (the most active as well xD ) I will lead off every challenge like this one! In this post will be:
  • The Grading Rubric and ALL work submitted....for the judges and people to look at.
  • My Final Scores
  • My thoughts and ideas of the artwork
  • An overall explanation of this challenge (with an example of what I would have submitted if I was competiting.)

So theres alot of stuff going on here tonight! Please note that the winner of this challenge will not be announced until all the scores are in. The judges will not finish until tommorrow and I dont expect them to....hopefully they will think of you guys and give them to me ASAP! Also note that 3 competitors did not turn their work in.....now, they still have a shot (Any work submitted between Friday February 15th, 2008 at 11:01 EST and Saturday February 16th, 2008 at 11:01 EST will be ACCEPTED but will suffer a 10 point deduction off their AVERAGE score.) Tommorrow night at 11 PM I will post the winner, whos out, the next challenge, any changes to the rules/due dates, etc etc. So without further ado, lets see some art!

The Competitors and their submitted art for Challenge #1
Wes1234: Wes has turned in a First Draft and with my feedback he's made some edits and here is his Final Draft:
ElegentGlaceon4.png

Heres my Final Score for Wes1234:
Effect:8/10
Color Usage:8.5/10
Effort:8/10
Originality:8/10
Relation to the Challenge:7.5/10
Overall: 8/10
Total:48/60

Great Job Wes!
Funny Judge from Pokemon TV Show Contests said:
Remarkable!

Boracay_Jason: Boracay has turned in a First Draft and with my feedback he's made some good improvements. Here is his Final Draft.
challenge1teamcustomdraiv6.png

Heres my Final Score for Boracay:
Color Usage:8/10
Effort:7.5/10
Originality:9/10
Relation to the Challenge:8.5/10
Overall: 8.5/10
Total:49.5/60

I loved this banner from the start.....great originality and overall flawless interpetation of the challenge.
Remarkable!

Monkeyking63:has turned in both a First Draft and I gave some feedback.....and he turned in his Final Draft.
Swirlybannerpt275.png

Heres my Final Score for Monkeyking:
Effect:9/10
Color Usage:9/10
Effort:9.5/10
Originality:9.5/10
Relation to the Challenge:8/10
Overall: 9.5/10
Total:54.5/60

This was my favorite banner in this round.....it was clean (for the most part) and the swirl effects were something original and looked FANTASTIC. Really good job Monkeyking....
Funny Judge from Pokemon TV Show contests said:
Remarkable!

Andyman:has turned in both a First Draft and recieved some feedback from me. He edited and finished his Final Draft.
contest2.png

Heres my Final Score for Andyman:
Effect:7.5/10
Color Usage:7.5/10
Effort:9.5/10
Originality:8.5/10
Total:49/60

I really liked Andymans banner, in addition to the effort he put into this. Not a bad score at all, Andy. Looking forward to seeing more from you in the future!
Remarkable!

INFERNAPE:Turned in his First Draft and then recieved some feedback from me and submitted a Final Draft.
Wordsprite-52.png

Heres my Final Score for INFERNAPE:
Effect:7/10
Color Usage:6.5/10
Effort:6/10
Originality:7/10
Relation to the Challenge:6/10
Overall: 6.5/10
Total:39/60

To Be honest, I completly hated the first one....espically to hear it was done in 20 Minutes. I like the concept here, but the mechanical errors and bad cut-outs led to your downfall. It got better though....best of luck to ya.

Charizard88:has turned in a First Draft and I gave some feedback...he then decided to go in a different direction and submitted his Final Draft.
Backgrounedited.png

Heres my Final Score for Charizard88:
Effect:6/10
Color Usage:6.5/10
Effort:8.5/10
Overall: 7/10
Total:41/60

Again, I was NOT impressed with this.....the effort showed right through it with the speckles.....but besides that I thought It was way too simple....you're in competition with most of the best artists pokebeach has to offer.....you gotta step it up to continue in this competition.

pika2:has turned in an Animated First Draft and I gave some feedback.....then the Final Draft was submitted.
custcopy.png

Heres my Final Score for pika2:
Effect:6/10
Color Usage:7/10
Overall: 7.5/10
Total:44/60

I was very disappointed to see this....you first submit this awesome, but simple animated banner thats fun and filled with color and then you scrap the idea and send in a non-animated, boring Arkais image, cant see half the banner, piece of art? Come on....I saw FANTASIC potential of you....in fact, the score I gave you in the feedback was higher than this one! I just thought this seemed out of place, and lost. You'll most likely be safe, but be sure to bring your A-Game next week.

Princess of the Dark:has turned in her First Draft and has told me to just grade that one....so here it is. Final Draft

Heres my Final Score for Princess:
Relation to the Challenge:4/10
Total:44.5/60

I brought down the effort a point as you didnt fix anything.....it was still good otherwise. Good work....but try harder on the next challenge.

Abaxter94:has submitted a Final Draft
ReflectiveSplice.png

Heres my Final Score for Abaxter:
Effect:6.5/10
Originality:7.5/10
Total:42/60
+1 on Average For Perk A
I'm not a big fan of spriting, but I can recognize good spriting. It was a good sprite overall, but lacked what the challenge meant. Spriting is the worst way to tell me how your art relates to you.....because Spriting is generic. Hope you'll get the chance to show me what ELSE you can do....

Zzzdark:has submitted a First Draft and then decided to take it out and submit something else. Here is his Final Draft
Dreamteam.gif

Heres my Final Score for Zzzdark:
Originality:4.5/10
Relation to the Challenge:6.5/10
Total:43/60
+1 on Average For Perk A

The originality and relation to the Challenge got you there....the work was good, but its been done before MANY times (About 3 Times by me, and once by Puzzle ( I gave him the idea....we made it for Max Shade IV's Fan Creations tournament back in December.)) so I had to dock off major points....plus, it was personal as you stole my idea for the team on the avvy....it's cool though....I take it as a compliment. :] Good work otherwise, just try to think about originality and espically the challenge and its meaning next time. Thanks!

Bellomence:has turned in Two First Drafts: First Draft
Second Draft
and then AGAIN (which he/she shouldnt have) they took it back again and posted their FINAL, FINAL copy.
artrz9.png

Heres my Final Score for Bellomence:
Relation to the Challenge:7/10
Total:47.5/60
+1 on Average For Perk A
It was very consistant with the scores....the only thing that was off was the Relation to the Challenge.....obviously everyone here thinks art is a blast....or else they wouldnt be here xD So I docked a couple points for that, but otherwise just a good banner overall! Consistancy is a good thing to have.....so dont be discouraged here.
Remarkable!

Lugia58:has turned in just one, Final Draft.
newavatarkw8.png

Heres my Final Score for Lugia58:
Effort:9/10
Originality:9.5/10
Relation to the Challenge:8.5/10
Total:51.5/60

This was one of the best avatars I've seen.....ever. It combines that new style of sleek and it was basically flawless. The only thing I would have suggested was to NOT use a Sugimori....because Lugias pic isnt that great.....but besides that it was fantastic.
Remarkable!

Necro_Thy:has turned in a First Draft and then I gave some feedback....after some edits the Final Draft was submitted.
pcartwork3.gif

Heres my Final Score for Necro_Thy:
Effect:8.5/10
Effort:9/10
Originality:7.5/10
Total:47.5/60

Not a bad score at all.....a clean, simple, animated avatar that used some cool animation effects. Good Work.

Bulbasaur45:has turned in one Final Draft.
goth-1.png

Heres my Final Score for Bulbasaur45:
Relation to the Challenge:1/10
Total:39/60
+1 for Perk A.
I didnt like this one much....it was almost well made, but the Darkrai picture killed its smoothness with the white....and this banner was for a clan. How does this relate to you as an artist....you made it for a clan you belong to? No.....just no. Anyways, the rest looked good....

The-Sinnoh-Champ: Submitted these little banners in his sig..... TSC-Please provide the code when you get a chance so I can post them up here.

Heres my Final Score for The Sinnoh Champ:
Effort:4/10
Originality:8.5/10
Total:43.5/60
+1 for Perk A.
The banners were good.....but the effort killed you.....you didnt do anything.....the score should have been lower but they were good banners....the whole point of Project Custom is to make new art.....not to use what you have. I hope this will become a rule in the future.....as this wasnt fair to anybody else who spent time FOR Project Custom.

Heres my Final Score for MUCKSTER:
Originality:10/10
Total:49.5/60
-10 off average score For Lateness

So thats all of my scores......thanks :]

This challenge was accually quite simple.....it was just to see what you like to do, what you can do, and to explain what kind of art you like to do.....that was it! Some got it and some didnt....but overall, its turning out to be a great first challenge!

So as promised I will submit some "examples" of what I would do for this challenge.....I didnt spend a TON of time on these (about an hour total) but they represent the style of art I do.

animation1ej1.gif

This was my First Draft.....I recolored an Alakazam for the "Custom" feel.....as that's what my whole art feel is about. To show this, I animated the word custom and made it change colors.....so it accually is custom :]

braygifanimatedboldedxt0.gif

This is my Final Draft.....instead of the recolor, I chose to take a backround of Zam using the Neon feature and do the same idea.....I think that the blue in the Zam highlights the color usage in this piece more than the last and again the Custom is changing colors, but it seems to stand out a little more because I double bolded it :]

Black Rayquaza's Scoreboard
1. Moneyking63:54.5/60
2. Lugia58:51.5/60
3. Boracay_Jason:49.5/60
3. MUCKSTER:49.5/60 -10 of Average for Lateness
4. Andyman:49/60
5. Wes1234:48/60
6. Necro_Thy:47.5/60
6. Bellomence:47.5/60
7. Princess of the Dark:44.5/60
8. pika2:44/60
9. The Sinnoh Champ:43.5/60
10. Zzzdark:43/60
11. Abaxter94:42/60
12. Charizard88:41/60
13. INFERNAPE:39/60
13. Bulbasaur45:39/60

So please Comment my scores, my examples, everything! Judges....you can start now, please DO NOT post them. Please send all of your scores.....in a PM to me. You dont need the links/images just the scores. Thanks!

So thats it.....wow thats a huge post.....Enjoy :]
-Black Rayquaza

I was your favorite there huh? THANKS ALOT! Can't wait for the next challenge, and the other judges scores!

Yeah, the scores are perfect, but I was best by far,... :p
Jokes aside, it was a really good challenge, can't wait for the second one.
BRay, you should then post the final scores in the first post.

~Ôrc~

This was my judging. I didn't go into as much details as most of the other judges probably will. But at least you're getting my judging! :p

1. Necro_Thy : 60/60 - Loved the words "Different but Unique."
2. Moneyking63 : 58/60 - Solid job, very nice, but I think Necro_Thy's entry was a tad better.
3. Wes1234 : 57.5/60 - Love it.
4. Lugia58 : 55/60 - Remarkable.
5. Bellomence : 48.5/60 - Remarkable.
5. Boracay_Jason: 48.5 - Remarkable.
6. Princess of the Dark : 48/60 - Remarkable.
7. Zzzdark : 47/60 - Remarkable.
8. INFERNAPE : 42/60 - Remarkable.
9. Bulbasaur45 : 40/60 - Remarkable.
10. Andyman : 39/60 - Remarkable.
11. Charizard88 : 32/60 - Remarkable.
12. pika2 : 21/60 - Remarkable.
13. Abaxter94 : 20/60 - Remarkable.
14. The-Sinnoh-Champ : 10/60 - Great banner but, laziness to post a code to it, and I mean come on, using something that was already there before the contest? :/

Edit:
MUCKSTER
Effect: 7/10. It looks good, IMO.
Color Usage: 7/10. The colors are good, but I hate the net's yellow outline thing.
Effort: 9/10. It looks like you put a lot of effort into it.
Originality: 10/10. Not much to say.
Relation to the challenge: 9/10. Again, not much to say.
Overall: 42/60.
Total: 42/60. Minues 10 for the lateness, though.

Thank you very much for placing me first :). I really appreciate it.
BTW, I saw that you haven't judged Boracay_Jason and The Sinnoh Champ,...

Boracay_Jason:
challenge1teamcustomdraiv6.png

TSC:
Look at the post where he says that his sig is his entry:
http://pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=31286&page=8

~Ôrc~

Next time, give us a little more detail plz? I had no idea what to make.

That's not my Final entry Necro >.<
Mine is on B.Ray's Post, just check it there :D

BTW:Thanks for the concern Necro!

Sorry bout that,... gonna edit it right away,...

~Ôrc~

Next time B-ray, could you be more specific? I didn't know it was going to be judged by how it relates to the challenge, I thought it would be judged by points.

- ZD

I think he was pretty specific,... anyways, when is Aqua Smeargle coming back? Wasn't he supposed to come yesterday?

~Ôrc~

man, I am in deep poo right now I hope for my faith that I can get a higher score in the next round.

Wes1234
Effect: 7/10, Nothing big, don't worry, It's just as special as it can be.
Colour Usage: 8/10, The only thing I dislike is the fact that the black+red text really scatters the synergy, I can understand the red, blue the blue/white kinda ruins it a bit :S
Effort: 8/10, You did your best, keep up the good work!
Originality: 7/10, the red eyes own, but it's just an evil Glaceon, a bit of starts and some text.
Relation to the challenge: 6/10, unless you really think you're ugly on the inside :O
Overall: 7.5/10, great job.
Total: 43.5/60

Boracay_Jason
Effect: 8.5/10, it really looks stun-sporey, great job!
Colour usage: 9/10, The green and yellow really blend well, the plain white text is a let-down, though
Effort: 8.5/10, seems like you put in a lot of effort
Originality: 7.5/10, the text's boring, but pretty original overall.
Relation to the challenge: 6.5/10, Unless you really think you're mother's nature's blessing or something :O
Overall: 8/10, very good :O
Total: 49/60

Monkeyking
Effect: 9/10, Awesomeness :O
Colour Usage: 8/10, yeah, they really suit the pokémon.
Effort: 9/10, you seem to have gone through a lot of effort to make this, GJ :O
Originality: 9.5/10, never saw anything like this before
Relation to the challenge: 7.5/10, I don't get it, blame me
Overall: 9.5/10 <3
Total: 52.5./60

Andyman
Effect: 8.5/10, seems really magical :O
Colour Usage: 9/10, the many little shades of purple really make it cool :O
Effort: 9/10, keep up the good work
Originality: 8.5/10, really original
Relation to the challenge: 7/10, What bells are you ringing o_O
Overall: 9/10, it's one of the few I'd actually dare to put in my sig :p
Total: 51/60

INFERNAPE
Effect: 7.5/10, Fire= good, terrible kirbymons = not good
Colour Usage: 6/10, those kirbymons need WAY better shading.
Effort: 5/10, no, really, seems like you really tried, but, well, no, it just doesn't work.
Originality: 6.5/10, it's original, I guess... But, oh, kirbymons :S
Relation to the challenge: 5/10, you'd think I'd give you more, right? Well, wrong :O
Overall: 4/10, failure score, you tried, DON'T EVER GIVE UP, but it just doesn't work, sorry...
Total: 34/60

Charizard88
Effect: 5/10, oh, yes, adding confetti, even I can do that :S
Colour Usage: 4/10, What colours? You mean the confetti? Ok, then, please not that you don't get more points if you have a lot of colours, it's how you use them.
Effort: 4/10, I'm sorry I'm being a bit harsh on you, but it really don't at all seem hard to make, nor does it seems like you actually did your best :S
Originality: 6/10, not going to fail you, but, no :S
Relation to the challenge: 6/10, so you're like of those evil artists :O
Overall: 5/10, not at all impressed, I'd say better luck next time, but I guess there won't be a next time. Don't give up, though, keep on practicing, you learn more from criticism than you learn from praising.
Total: 30/60 (not good :O)

pika2
Effect: 7/10, cool, but can someone please turn on the lights?
Colour Usage: 6/10, I see black, there's also a bit of green, and black again, and, hey, even more black :O
Effort: 8/10, not much to say here
Originality: 8.5/10, the stuff I can see seems pretty original :O
Relation to the challenge: 9/10, sue me, but the message is really something I wanted to read on other banners, not something like "lolzorz, I cool it burns in me", but a simple saying which shows what kind of art you make.
Overall: 8/10, should have been lighter
Total: 46.5/60

Princess of the Dark
Effect: 9/10, Thunderness, it's electrifying :O
Colour Usage: 8.5/10, really cool cloud and thunder effects, the yellow silhouette also owns.
Effort: 8/10, you did a very good job
Originality: 7.5/10, thunder+Zapdos, seems kinda logical :S
Relation to the challenge: 5/10, cool text, but, well, doesn't say anything about you... I hope
Overall: 8.5/10, very good
Total: 46.5/60

Abaxter94
Effect: 6/10, mixing isn't what I call an effect, sorry :S
Colour Usage: 6.5/10, you used colours, but, oh well, yeah
Effort: 8.5/10, seems fairly easy to do, but oh well, seems decent
Originality: 6/10, I can't see what it's meant to be, so I really can't say if it's original or not :S
Relation to the challenge: 4/10, unless you look like a monster, of course.
Overall: 5/10, seems really weird o_O
Total: 36/60

Zzzdark
Effect: 5/10 Oh, wow, animation...
Colour Usage: 8/10, cool
Effort: 7.5/10, probably takes a while to make, but still :S
Originality: 2.5/10, yes, that is low, sue me, but I really can't find this original
Relation to the challenge: 5/10, what relation?
Overall: 7/10, seems good, just, it's not at all even close to special :s
Total: 35/60

Bellomence
Effect: 8.5, coolness
Colour Usage: 8/10, the green > the yellow, the text seems very well coloured
Effort: 9/10, seems like you really tried your best
Originality: 8.5/10, never seen anything like it before
Relation to the challenge: 6/10, yup, art's a blast
Overall: 8/10, looks really good
Total: 48/60

Necro_Thy
Effect: 8.5/10, seems cool, but after the pixelisation suddenly stops and the white magically disappears, kind of a let-down
Colour Usage: 7/10, green is cool
Effort: 9/10, not much to say, good job
Originality: 8/10, pretty original
Relation to the challenge: 8/10, very good catch-line :O
Overall: 7.5/10, good job
Total: 48/60

Bulbasaur45
Effect: 8/10, seems decent
Colour Usage: 7.5/10, a lot of black, but it's ok
Effort: 7/10, is it just me, or does this seem not at all hard to make?
Originality: 7.5/10, donno, seems kind of not-special
Relation to the challenge: 4/10, there's an art format now? :O
Overall: 6/10, keep on trying
Total: 40/60

The-Sinnoh-Champ
Effect: 8/10, pretty cool
Colour Usage: 8/10, the colours seems to fit everything, cool background
Effort: 7/10, seems decent
Originality: 7.5/10, don't really know what to say
Relation to the challenge: 5/10, there's a relation?
Overall: 7.5/10, pretty good
Total: 43/60

Lugia58
Effect: 7/10 Seems kinda plain, especially the over-obvious sugimori-art :S Borders look nice
Colour Usage: 6.5/10, pretty decent
Effort: 7/10, I think you did your best.
Originality: 5/10, not really original now, is it?
Relation to the challenge: 4/10, were, relation?
Overall: 7/10, not bad
Total: 36.5/60

MUCKSTER
Effect: 8/10 Cool
Colour Usage: 8/10, Not much colour, so yeah
Effort: 9/10, seems like you went through a lot of trouble :O
Originality: 10/10, never seen anything like that before :O
Relation to the challenge: 5/10, it doesn't discribe you as an artist, does it?
Overall: 8.5/10, really cool
Total: 48.5/60

Rankings:
Monkeyking - 52.5
Andyman - 51
Boracay_Jason - 49
MUCKSTER - 48.5
Bellomence - 48
Necro_Thy - 48
pika2 - 46.5
Princess of the Dark 46.5
Wes1234 - 43.5