Strategy Preferred Tier & Playstyle Discussion

Equinox

Stallwart Player
Greetings all! Battling is a passion we all share, and yet, there are many different ways to express it! Whether using the power of offensive behemoths to decimate your opponents, or causing your foe's health to drain away in slow agony, we all have different tactics to deal with eachother. Not just that, there are a total of 718 pokemon to choose from and more than ten tiers to play in. So, what tier(s) and playstyles do you like to play in/with and why? And for those seeking advice on specific team types/tiers, feel free to ask!

I myself just like to stick to the simple OU tier, I mean these Pokemon are considered to be the most effective without being game breaking. I used to play Ubers, but that was years ago, I haven't made an effort in a long time to make a teamg.

Playstyle wise, I like to mesh together bulkier Pokemon, sometimes it's stall and other times it's more offensively focused balanced, but when it comes down to it, I prefer being able to safely switch in my Pokemon without fear of being knocked out. I also (obviously to some) like running teams that are outside the normal. This metagame can get boring sometimes, and being able to find a new way of achieving victory is always satisfying It's always funny to see an opponent react to a Pokemon they've never played against.

Last edited:
I have recently began to play Doubles OU. It's really fun because it is sort of a combination of OU and VGC with less banned Pokemon which gives the metagame more diversity than others imo. For now, my strategy there is hyper offense but that can change since I'm still new to this format.

Triple battle spot is so fun! You can combine some weak mons and make them perfect battlers as a team plus it's so fun to have a 3vs3 in one single battlefield. And you get use 6 pokemon. I also like PU since it's just different. You use many pokemon that are considered t\weak and see them shine while you have OU pokemon like anywhere in the battle spot. And by those I mean Garchomp, Gardevoir, Gyarados, Charizard, Talonflame etc. That's why I don't watch VGC. If they banned them I'd love to watch it.

I'm not really a fan of double battles, I've tried it a couple times but just couldn't get into it.

With me being a tinkerer in the art of obscure and gimmicky moves, I have came up with a fresh concept of a Memento team.
Anyone ever use Memento? It's a neat little move that gives -2 in both Atk. and Sp. atk, essentially giving you a free turn to do whatever, at the cost of your Pokemon. I've been wanting to make a team based around this idea, and so far I have Latios with Trick / Memento / Draco Meteor / Psyshock and Gothitelle to trap the crippled Mon and set up. I would also say Dugtrio, but it has a lack of recovery, which is unappealing to me. Who knows, I might have an RMT up of it before too long ;)

Last edited:
As most people know, I've been a fan of UU since way back in DPP. I haven't played nearly as much recently, but I played it a ton in BW. I like UU because it's generally the most balanced of the tiers. DPP UU is in my opinion the most balanced tier to ever exist, and BW/ORAS UU have definitely been better than their OU counterparts. I also like the tiers because you get to use all the Pokemon that just never quite cut it in OU. For example in BW, Azelf dropped to UU which to me was cool, since it never saw much use outside of suicide Stealth Rocking in DPP. We got to see what it was really capable of.

I'm hoping to pick up VGC this year so hopefully that will be equally as fun.

Back