Discussion Possible Top 5 XY-On Decks

Primal Groudon is much better than Machamp. Once Primal Groudon is up, in most cases its pretty much game for most decks. Primals Groudon can be set up in 2 turns thanks to Mega Turbo, and because of his ancient trait he can wait out any deck until he has the best trade he can get. His ancient Trait ALONE gives him the edge that Machamp just doesn't. 170 HP? ezpz to 1hitKO. 240 and can't be forced out before it's set up? You're gonna have some trouble if your not playing a heavy hitter or grass deck. Machamp is good and all, but there's literally no reason to use it when Primal Groudon is here.

Machamp needs 60-80 damage added just to 1hitKO most megas. That's a stupid amount of effort when you can just play Primal Groudon and just need to add 20-40 damage for the KOs. Yeah, he needs Stadiums, but nearly EVERY deck plays a stadium, so saying that's a set back is pretty ignorant as hell to say when you need 1. A Ariados 2. 2-3 Strong Energy 3. A muscle band. Just to get a ko. Also, what happens when your Machamp gets KO'd and you lose nearly all your Strong Energy? (which won't be hard considering it only has 170 HP). Its game.

Also, Giratina EX is no problem because almost every Groudon deck runs 2 Silent Lab. And if the Giratina EX is paired with a Vileplume Wobbufett takes down theyre whole strategy (another card that almost every Groudon deck plays).

Last edited:
Primal Groudon is much better than Machamp. Once Primal Groudon is up, in most cases its pretty much game for most decks. Primals Groudon can be set up in 2 turns thanks to Mega Turbo, and because of his ancient trait he can wait out any deck until he has the best trade he can get. His ancient Trait ALONE gives him the edge that Machamp just doesn't. 170 HP? ezpz to 1hitKO. 240 and can't be forced out before it's set up? You're gonna have some trouble if your not playing a heavy hitter or grass deck. Machamp is good and all, but there's literally no reason to use it when Primal Groudon is here.

Machamp needs 60-80 damage added just to 1hitKO most megas. That's a stupid amount of effort when you can just play Primal Groudon and just need to add 20-40 damage for the KOs. Yeah, he needs Stadiums, but nearly EVERY deck plays a stadium, so saying that's a set back is pretty ignorant as hell to say when you need 1. A Ariados 2. 2-3 Strong Energy 3. A muscle band. Just to get a ko. Also, what happens when your Machamp gets KO'd and you lose nearly all your Strong Energy? (which won't be hard considering it only has 170 HP). Its game.

Also, Giratina EX is no problem because almost every Groudon deck runs 2 Silent Lab. And is the Giratina EX is paired with a Vileplume Wobbufett takes down theyre whole strategy (another card that almost every Groudon deck plays).
Well you are saying stadiums are going to be easy what about paint roller that can take out stadiums and also in the giratina match up giratinas attack blocks stadiums so unless you run enhanced hammers/aegislash it's almost an auto loss (and giratina will most likely be paired with vileplume so hammers wouldn't be available).

The problem with M Sceptile EX is finding a good secondary, which means finding a beefy EX that can use Grass Energy AND has a low retreat cost, especially with Float Stone and Keldeo EX rotating out. M Heracross EX seems to synergize well thanks to the healing factor, but it doesn't have a Spirit Link, and has a high retreat cost. Same goes for M Venusaur EX. Lugia EX is too much of an energy hog given the current metagame. M Khangaskhan EX falls into the same camp as the Grass Megas. And M Rayquaza EX requires resources that run counter to M Sceptile.

I think long-term M Sceptile has potential, but not right now.
Personally I think the regular sceptile ex and ariados will be better than its mega since it can hit for 160 turn 2 and keep it up with no downsides and it only has a 2 energy cost so it will be easy to power up then late game you can use a mega sceptile to heal damaged sceptiles. But i agree i don't think a mega sceptile mega heracross/venusar deck will work 2 megas in 1 deck is way to much especilly since one doesn't have a link.

Deciding on a meta for next year is alot to ask for. This is just a guess, but here we go.

1. Rayquaza variants
2.Metal
3.Mega sceptile
(Ill explain)
4.Vileplume
5.Toad bats

First off, if you thought mega Ray was a broken card, you aint seen nothing yet. This lizard beast has the ability to accelerate energy, evolve turn one, has a spirit link, abuses mega turbo, heals, AND, to top it off, an attack that does only 10 damage short of mega manne. This thing, if given a turn of items, will destroy anything you can throw at it in two turns, accelerate, heal, the list goes on and on. Its only bad matchup is mega ray and any speedy fire that does 110.(cough nothing) It dosent have a partner in crime...yet. Lugia EX can easily be used as an insufficient but moderate partner. Pokemon will indefinitely throw us something, I know it will, just what it will be no-one knows.

kai

I'm so curious about the Vespiquen and the Eeveelutions deck, If Vespi has four types,(grass,fire,water,electric) the only Pokemon can stop it is Mega Rayquaza Dragon-Type because of its Delta Wild AT.

Deciding on a meta for next year is alot to ask for. This is just a guess, but here we go.

1. Rayquaza variants
2.Metal
3.Mega sceptile
(Ill explain)
4.Vileplume
5.Toad bats

First off, if you thought mega Ray was a broken card, you aint seen nothing yet. This lizard beast has the ability to accelerate energy, evolve turn one, has a spirit link, abuses mega turbo, heals, AND, to top it off, an attack that does only 10 damage short of mega manne. This thing, if given a turn of items, will destroy anything you can throw at it in two turns, accelerate, heal, the list goes on and on. Its only bad matchup is mega ray and any speedy fire that does 110.(cough nothing) It dosent have a partner in crime...yet. Lugia EX can easily be used as an insufficient but moderate partner. Pokemon will indefinitely throw us something, I know it will, just what it will be no-one knows.

kai
I like Vileplume . But the problem is we can't use item cards to boost you because of its Irritating Pollen ability. Its better to use the Elder Tree Pokémon, Trevenant its better that we cripple the opponent because he/she can't use item cards.

I'm so curious about the Vespiquen and the Eeveelutions deck, If Vespi has four types,(grass,fire,water,electric) the only Pokemon can stop it is Mega Rayquaza Dragon-Type because of its Delta Wild AT.
While that is a good point, Vespiquen itself is quite frail sitting at 90 HP and combee is like 40HP. Both of them are easy OHKO's and the eeveelutions take up bench space that keeps your opponent from having a steady flow of attackers. The most you can have in play w/o Sky Field is two Vespiquen and with paint roller, Ninetails, and counter stadiums that is an issue.

You completely forgot about vespiquen/unown. And what do you mean by pyroar deck???
oops, sorry I forgot.
A "Pyroar Deck" is a deck that receives a lot of hype and does well in one big tournament like Nationals then after worlds it doesn't really see much play anymore do to new cards or players have found the best ways to deal with it. (There's probably a different name to describe that probably).

oops, sorry I forgot.
A "Pyroar Deck" is a deck that receives a lot of hype and does well in one big tournament like Nationals then after worlds it doesn't really see much play anymore do to new cards or players have found the best ways to deal with it. (There's probably a different name to describe that probably).
Nope, I think that the term "Pyroar Deck" is right on the mark, I've heard it used before.

Well you are saying stadiums are going to be easy what about paint roller that can take out stadiums and also in the giratina match up giratinas attack blocks stadiums so unless you run enhanced hammers/aegislash it's almost an auto loss (and giratina will most likely be paired with vileplume so hammers wouldn't be available).

The whole idea behind Giratina EX/Vileplume is to get in Vileplume up to stop both players from using Items (WHICH IS WHAT PAINT ROLLER IS). So as long as Silent Lab is placed before Giratina using his 4 Energy attack for just 100 damage, Primal Groudon will be fine. And honestly, none of that actually matters because all Groudon has to do is just not Mega Evolve. This makes the point of Giratina EX useless because as long as you get the 4 energy on a regular Groudon EX (two of which would need to be Strong Energy) you still 1hitKO Giratina. Groudon could also use his first attack which as a 50% chance to discard an energy on the enemy Pokemon, so a could of these would run Giratina EX dry of DDE's, then follow up with his second attack for 130 for a KO and basically win the game as Giratina will have little to no energy left to attach.

While that is a good point, Vespiquen itself is quite frail sitting at 90 HP and combee is like 40HP. Both of them are easy OHKO's and the eeveelutions take up bench space that keeps your opponent from having a steady flow of attackers. The most you can have in play w/o Sky Field is two Vespiquen and with paint roller, Ninetails, and counter stadiums that is an issue.

Bro, you're only going to bench the Eeveelution that you need for the match up. If you're fighting something that's weak to fire, you're not going to still set up Jolteon and Vaporeon. There's plenty of space for a flow of attackers. And also, 90 HP is frail, but it doesn't matter when that 90 HP Pokemon can hit for ridiculous numbers and retreat for free. Plasma Flareon only had 90 HP, was that an issue for it? If anything having only 90 HP is GREAT for the deck because you can use Level Ball to get everything in it's line, meaning it will be super easy and quick to set up.

The whole idea behind Giratina EX/Vileplume is to get in Vileplume up to stop both players from using Items (WHICH IS WHAT PAINT ROLLER IS). So as long as Silent Lab is placed before Giratina using his 4 Energy attack for just 100 damage, Primal Groudon will be fine. And honestly, none of that actually matters because all Groudon has to do is just not Mega Evolve. This makes the point of Giratina EX useless because as long as you get the 4 energy on a regular Groudon EX (two of which would need to be Strong Energy) you still 1hitKO Giratina. Groudon could also use his first attack which as a 50% chance to discard an energy on the enemy Pokemon, so a could of these would run Giratina EX dry of DDE's, then follow up with his second attack for 130 for a KO and basically win the game as Giratina will have little to no energy left to attach.

Bro, you're only going to bench the Eeveelution that you need for the match up. If you're fighting something that's weak to fire, you're not going to still set up Jolteon and Vaporeon. There's plenty of space for a flow of attackers. And also, 90 HP is frail, but it doesn't matter when that 90 HP Pokemon can hit for ridiculous numbers and retreat for free. Plasma Flareon only had 90 HP, was that an issue for it? If anything having only 90 HP is GREAT for the deck because you can use Level Ball to get everything in it's line, meaning it will be super easy and quick to set up.
true I didn't think of it that way. Thanks for pointing out the level ball thing especially.

Except for a well played Hippowdon deck.

True true, but I don't think that deck will be AS good when Vespiqueen and other stage decks come out, but as of now when 90% of the current decks are EX's it's amazing. Pretty sure Hipo auto-loses to stage decks in general.

True true, but I don't think that deck will be AS good when Vespiqueen and other stage decks come out, but as of now when 90% of the current decks are EX's it's amazing. Pretty sure Hipo auto-loses to stage decks in general.
Its pretty much an auto loss to NM, and it doesn't do well against Bats or Vespi. Bats are at least counter-able with a hard charmed Seismitoad though.

I'm really wanting M.Gallade to be good but with glorious Wob./Hex Maniac I feel like it'll just be swept under the rug.

I'm really wanting M.Gallade to be good but with glorious Wob./Hex Maniac I feel like it'll just be swept under the rug.

Too slow and hard to set up. With everything going perfectly you could take 6 prizes in 1 hit, but honestly, how often is that going to happen against someone who knows exactly what your trying to do.

Too slow and hard to set up. With everything going perfectly you could take 6 prizes in 1 hit, but honestly, how often is that going to happen against someone who knows exactly what your trying to do.

I mean I know it's to slow, even with Dimension Valley, it takes two - three turns still to charge M.Galleade, that and it doesn't OHKO anything with a base 110. I do want to try and build it with Forretress instead of bats and using VS Seeker/AZ.

I mean I know it's to slow, even with Dimension Valley, it takes two - three turns still to charge M.Galleade, that and it doesn't OHKO anything with a base 110. I do want to try and build it with Forretress instead of bats and using VS Seeker/AZ.

If I were you, I'd use TCGOne to test it before you actually build it. EX's/Mega's are still expensive, even the under used ones. So if you wanna build a deck that's mostly just fun/not tested fully, I think that's a better option. That or PTCGO, but TCGOne is free, so ya know.

Back