Porygon-Z PLB

Aspiring Trainer
Porygon-Z is a stage two colorless type card that has an unique ability. This ability is "Plasma Transfer" which allows you to move around plasma energy as much as you want during your turn. This rings a bell: Aromatisse, Klinklang. Aromatisse jumped right into competitive when it was introduced and got to world's, and Klinklang went to nationals awhile back. So how come Porygon-Z has never been featured in plasma decks, especially the prestigious Virizion/Genesect deck? Stage two is hard to set up, but Dusknoir gets a lot of play, and Klinklang is also a stage two. What do you guys think?

RE: Porygon-Z (PLB) , Forgotten card?

It absolutely seems useful on paper if you were to make a Tornadus EX (PLS) deck, but that's about all its uses. No good Team Plasma pokemon can benefit from its Ability - none need Plasma Energy except for Lugia. Plasma decks run Plasma Energy solely for Colress Machine for Energy acceleration purposes. The only things that actually make use of Plasma Energy (Genesect and Lugia) either need it to be manually attached (Genesect) or just need to have one and are better off with Colress Machine (Lugia).
Besides, you can only have 4 Plasma Energy in the deck, and running a Stage 2 to move only 4 Energies is, well, pretty bad.

The reason why Aromatisse and Klingklang are/were popular is because the Energy movement made then really versatile - you can power up pretty much anything by getting Energy onto anything, and then there's also Max Potion, Cassius, AZ, etc. But this guy can move only Plasma Energy, which, again, aren't used for attacking. Again, Lugia is an exception. Think about it: stage 2, (requires at least 7 spots) which can move only Colorless Energy (and you only get 4 of them, don't forget about that) and nothing competitive (except Lugia) can make use of them, meaning it's not anywhere near Aromatisse/Klingklang in the game.

Basically what Vom said. Even the Base Set Venusaur had energy transfer for grass energy and it was really neat. It was a quick way to power up Charizard if you were willing to stack it. It powered up Exeggcutor in a hurry or even Venusaur itself. It saved energy from soon to be KO'd Pokemon or to use Pokemon Center for free (pair with Base Set Alakazam to make the damage only on Pokemon who won't lose energy).

Plasma energy is unfortunantley limited to four a deck and limited in use. Vom was mistaken in the fact that all Plasma EX Pokemon, not just Lugia and Gensect, had some benefit for having Plasma energy attached but by no means required to have that energy except in Lugia EX's case.

Again as mentioned Aromatiasse, Klingklang and Venusaur as well (Venusaur EX from FRLG also had this ability) were more expansive as it affected all the energy of that type. I don't think the new energy that was recently introduced, Shield energy and Wonder energy in Primal Clash and Herbal energy in Furious Fists, count for this though.

I meant Plasma EX who actually are played and use the attacks that require Plasma Energy xD

To be fair I thought Porygon Z should be looked at from the perspective of all Pokemon and not just those that are played in tournaments. Not everyone plays those (me for example). For casual games there is nothing wrong with 'shoving' PorygonZ in a deck with as many plasma EX Pokemon as you can base a deck around.

You are right, and I said it as well, that only Lugia EX requires the Plasma energy. Even from my expanded view it's still a limited ability.

Pikachu6319 said:
Again as mentioned Aromatiasse, Klingklang and Venusaur as well (Venusaur EX from FRLG also had this ability) were more expansive as it affected all the energy of that type. I don't think the new energy that was recently introduced, Shield energy and Wonder energy in Primal Clash and Herbal energy in Furious Fists, count for this though.

Shield, Herbal, and Wonder Energy all read "this card counts as Metal/Grass/Fairy energy when attatched to a Pokemon", so you can still move them around with Klinllang, Venusaur, and Aromatisse. :)

I think the main reason Porygon-Z is not used is because it is a Stage 2. Had it been a basic Pokemon (say, an EX maybe), that would be a great ability to have if you wanted to make a surprise play for a game winning knockout. Unfortunately, Porygon-Z is just a card to look nice in your binder.

Ah, I assumed since those were special energy it might not work. Even better, :)...at least for Shield and Wonder energy. The Venusaur that moves grass energy is long out of rotation, at least for official formats.

Even if this had gone to a basic Pokemon, or if Porygon Z had gone the SP/EX route, it'd still be pretty limited but you're right it might be a bit more up there since at least it would only require 4 cards as opposed to about seven cards, possibly not including the trainers to get it going sooner.

As everyone said, Porygon-Z is a bit of a niche card. Plasma Energy is not a basic which restricts its use to those that really benefit it. The only time I used Porygon-Z was for my Dialga EX milling deck. That was pretty fun but the damage was just too low to actually make use of.

Back