Popular Decks of Old?

Elk-Dimension

u elkcom hangl man
So, today, lame cliche popular decks are stuff like any Flygon Variant and any SP Variant and any Gengar Variant. Boring, just saying. So, what were popular decks in the many old formats? The other day I saw a Swampert EX with Kingdra LA's attack for 3 9nstead of one, and Electivire FB Lv.X's Pokepower. Thanks!

Decks might be lame, but they are quick and effective...not to mention successful. Don't really know what timeframe you are talking but when 10 years ago the decks were Raindance (which should see a comeback) and Wigglytuff variants. I remember seeing some rogue Alakazam decks, but in all honesty those were not that good.

I totally agree with the cliched decks of today... And the speed is way too fast for my taste... Yea speed kills, but... 3 turns it's over? Where's the fun in that? Anywho, for old decks, the Clefable from base... That is killer! Metronome for one energy doing whatever you want from your oppenents pokemon, now that's fun. Or my favorite, Flylutions. Flygon EX paired with Jolteon EX and others.. That was my deck anyways. To be honest, the originality is getting lost here...

Back in base set, old charizard decks used to be good. just due to being capable of dishing 120 dmg, and that used to be the max hp then.

The reason the game seemed so much better way back when is because you were kids and didn't know any better. You didn't do any research and immediately copy/paste the BDIF. It was all about using the Pokemon that looked cool or had big numbers on the card. 10 years from now, the kids playing the game now will be talking about how the game was so awesome in 2010 when there were no "overused/overpowered" decks.

I actually used to do alot of research back then on making a good deck. I used to spend hours a day on Pojo.com reading up on deck reports and what not. So even though I was a kid, I still took it more seriously then, than I do now.

I loved crystal beach blissey back in the day. The flygon ex DF also was amazing in its time. Gardylade with Empo tech won once. I recall gardevoir ex SS being big, as well as Team magma decks nearly sweeping worlds.

It's all about the Haymaker. Electabuzz can do 10 damage on one energy, AND possibly paralyze, and can do up to 40 for two (risking some damage, but hey). Hitmonchan was also a damage beast, doing 20 for one energy and 40 for three, with no drawbacks. Scyther was the real monster, able to do 30 with a Grass and DCE, with Swords Dance to double that. Between the three of them, you could hit any important weakness in the book (especially Electabuzz vs. Rain Dance).

The best part? It's still legal.

I agree I'm so sick of seeing lame decks, congrats you throw a flygon and a machamp together with a claydol. Anyway I have a 2004 worlds booklet it. Gardevoir EX and team magma decks.

base set BDIF's were raindance, alakazam dammage swap to chancey then scoop up,
haymaker<333
(scyther, electabuzz, hitmonchan)
they were three high hp basics 70 lol. that could do 40+ dammage by t2. bill + oak + gust of wind = AMAZING

you realize this is one of the most diverse formats of all time? There are SO many good decks out, that can win at a competitive level. ^^flychamp isn't even the deck to beat. It's not even good.

Flariados, Metanite, Eeveelutions, Medicham, LBS, Dragtrode, Mewtric, Lunarock are the ones I remember back when I used to play before.

dmaster out.

YES, I SEE HAYMAKER UP HERE!

I'm surprised that the original Hurricane stall deck wasn't mentioned, though. Good times, good times...

But I do remember playing some crazy fun decks. Mr. Mime Jungle and Aerodactyl Fossil combo! You freeze them when they can only do thirty above, deck in 4 potions, and the thing just keeps adding up damage over and over and over again.

Too bad Cess Crystal and stuff that does damage would Stolen it in unlimited. BUT THAT'S WHAT UNOWN G'S FOR EMMIRIGHT?

Riptide based off of Neo Feraligatr was pretty popular, too, if I remember. Oaks into a good hand of water, discard em all, and then do lots of crazy damage and return all the energy into the deck.

The ones that were BDIFs if I remember were
Haymaker(Electabuzz,Hitmonchan, Scyther/Magmar)
Sneasel/Slowking
E-Series I didn't play and cards IMO were cruddy too.
Team Magma
LBS
Queendom
Flygon EX delta
Psychic Lock
SP Toolbox
Other popular ones were
Raindance
Eeveelutions/Flariados
Charizard(base set)
Damage Swap
Gardevoir Ex
Swampert Ex
Blaziken Ex
That's all i can think of right now.

My last actual playtime was in the Neo era. About the only three things I saw with any consistency were:

Haymaker of course, though wasn't my kind of deck. Didn't stop Scyther from finding its way into most of my decks before though, including...

Grass Overgrow/Transfer: The idea of using some top Grass Pokemon, including Base Venusaur and Overgrow Meganium. That way both of the top Pokemon attack with two energy. If only I'd realized the value of Jungle Exeggcutor at that point in time. And the last being...

Raindance/Riptide: Need I say more? Blastoise powers up the Pokemon, and if a few Pokemon were knocked out, including Blastoise (9-12 energy at that point) Feraligatr comes out to do 100 damage or more. I even remember getting 200 damage once.:D

About Neo Destiny it came to the point I was unable to play, due to no league around and no solid player base, as well as lacking finances. I finally started getting cash flow again about halfway through the EX era, but no player base and so started being more of a collector than a player so I'm not really sure about the ins and outs of any deck style since then, including todays formats.

I'm glad this thread is here, because ijust started playing march of '09, and although these aren't too old, can someone PLEASE explain gardellade, legoes, and skittles to me? the best I can figure out for what skittles is is skitty/shuckle

ROFL. Skittles was a limited deck based off the catchphrase 'Taste the Rainbow'. It rain like...two of every energy, SW Ho-Oh, and GE Togekiss. It had some playability but limited to GG/Plox.

Speaking of, GG is more commonly known as Gardelade. It ran the SW Gardevoir and Gallade combo, and it was something fierce. Eeeeveryone played it back in SW/GE times until Empoleon MD came out and dominated a good bit of the format. Plox, IIRC, was a slight variation of Gardelade played with the very dangerous (at the time) Dusknoir, given how most people had more than 4 bench due to more common starters. This was before Call Energy, mind you, so Pachi was still a very much abused starter.

God, I don't remember too much about Legos, though. I remember AMU got pretty popular last year though.

I'd like to hear more on the decks Mew EX were played in, though. ;D It was a powerful card and stuff, you know. I wasn't actively playing during the EX seasons, so I don't know most of the decks...

thank you SO much, thats just been bugging me since forever. LOLOLOLOLOLOL, I'm SO reviving skittles

WailmerMan said:
you realize this is one of the most diverse formats of all time? There are SO many good decks out, that can win at a competitive level. ^^flychamp isn't even the deck to beat. It's not even good.

FlyChamp is ok in some metagames but from what I'm seeing Dumbo (Flygon RR/Donphan Prime) seems to be replacing it as the most popular Flygon variant. The way Nidoqueen RR's Maternal Comfort blends well with Donphan Prime's Earthquake drawback is amazing. Expert Belt also makes it a powerhouse.

The deck to beat in the current metagame is Legos or some other SP variant assumingly, to be honest I'm not sure If the meta has changed after HeartGold/SoulSilver. Charizard AR/Ninetales HGSS/Typhlosion turned out to be a Tier 2 deck which is no surprise but it's quite fun to play, I'm not sure how Ferligatr Prime Rain Dance decks are turning out though.

Ampharos Prime/Garchomp SV seems like a solid archetype but doesn't really counter anything. It just focuses on energy manipulation and spreading damage counters out the wazoo. I actually thought about running that deck especially running an Ambipom G tech for Tail Code or maybe Lugia SW.

Does anyone remember TogeChomp? Back when Regigigas Lv. X was remotely good before Platinum came along? It ran Garchomp MT for Dragon Scale and used Togekiss GE to Serene Grace for energy accel. Though it was a good deck Speedrill was still popular at the time as well...

Back