'Pokkén Fighters' Trademark Registered in Europe, News Coming Soon? [5/5]

Wonder how big the roster will be? Blaziken and Lucario would be all but confirmed.

Breloom
Medicham
Hitmonchan
Hariyama
Greninja
Golurk
Bisharp

All seem like good choices for "Poke Fighters"

Hawlucha is an EX in the accompanying TCG box, so it'll probably be in the game too.

Water Pokémon Master said:
Hawlucha is an EX in the accompanying TCG box, so it'll probably be in the game too.

Ah, of course. There is always the pro-wrestler style fighter in fighting games. Dat flying press

Hah! Seriously awesome! What a coincidence that I just started getting back into fighting games at the start of last year! Time for some quarter-circle forwards!

It would have to put Machamp in, right *flex* ?

Water Pokémon Master said:

Mega Hawlucha confirmed
DNCylvf.jpg

but seriously, I am curious as to what it is. I'm assuming with two names, it could possibly be on both Wii U and 3DS.

It's not something big, but it would be nice if you can transfer your Pokémon from XY and if you use it a lot it can help them get higher friendship/bond kind of like in Pokémon Stadium 2 mini games.

It can even have an updated Super training mode, something that can help players that are leftie (no offense) since i've heard that some have problems with that and even get more items out of it.

Nice deduction WPM! It'll probably get a two or three minute mention in the conference Direct Nintendo Digital Event, and then be open for attendees to play against each other. Fun.

If Breloom made his way into this game then I'd be 100% happy. Hopefully this game is for the 3DS too, but sadly I could see Nintendo pulling that crap just to get more sales on the WiiU.

DevinTheWelf said:
If Breloom made his way into this game then I'd be 100% happy. Hopefully this game is for the 3DS too, but sadly I could see Nintendo pulling that crap just to get more sales on the WiiU.
Or maybe it might not be so much Nintendo's choice in the matter. Assuming Namco are the ones actually making the game (hence the Poké+Tekken=Pokkén name), the 3DS may not even be something they're considering for a game of this sort.

TreIII said:
DevinTheWelf said:
Or maybe it might not be so much Nintendo's choice in the matter. Assuming Namco are the ones actually making the game (hence the Poké+Tekken=Pokkén name), the 3DS may not even be something they're considering for a game of this sort.

With how poorly non-Nintendo games sell on the WIi U I doubt if given an option between 3ds only or Wii U only that they would go with Wii U

Ryan Gleason said:
TreIII said:

With how poorly non-Nintendo games sell on the WIi U I doubt if given an option between 3ds only or Wii U only that they would go with Wii U
No, that's exactly why Nintendo would go with the WiiU. They need Pokémon games for the WiiU to attract customers to the console. Of course this game alone can't sell consoles, but it could shift any Pokémon fan that is considering the console for other bigger games (like MK8, SSB, ...) to deciding to buy a WiiU. After all, there must be a certain amount of games you want to play - some of which you need to feel strongly for - to justify buying a new console. That's exactly why the WiiU has flopped so far. Even my friend who owns a WiiU said to me that him buying it had no real justification and in theory it is, at the moment, a bad deal to buy a WiiU.

Teal said:
Ryan Gleason said:
No, that's exactly why Nintendo would go with the WiiU. They need Pokémon games for the WiiU to attract customers to the console. Of course this game alone can't sell consoles, but it could shift any Pokémon fan that is considering the console for other bigger games (like MK8, SSB, ...) to deciding to buy a WiiU. After all, there must be a certain amount of games you want to play - some of which you need to feel strongly for - to justify buying a new console. That's exactly why the WiiU has flopped so far. Even my friend who owns a WiiU said to me that him buying it had no real justification and in theory it is, at the moment, a bad deal to buy a WiiU.
I don't know about that, a Pokemon fighting game has been wanted for a long time and the Pokemon franchise is capable of moving consoles.

I'm still reluctant into believing this is happening; I'm afraid we're all misinterpreting for something else. I'm probably going to doubt this until this is announced so I don't get my hopes up for it.

TreIII said:
DevinTheWelf said:

"It has Ekken in the name therefore it's tekken related"

Poke+Fist

Also
Fist is in the TCG set's name too...
Tekken has absolutely nothing to do with the name. Putting this out there because it's a huge assumption people make

I can see a potential simultaneous port considering there are two names to work with.

I'm holding out hope that, if this is a fighting game, it's not just a Fighting-type roster. Marketing it with Lucario and Blaziken makes sense, but limiting it to fighting types seems almost like a waste of the IP, especially if they make a game with just a bunch of bipedal, human shaped pokemon. I might as well be playing Pokemon-skinned Tekken at that point.

Imagine they released a TCG set with only one type of Pokemon in it. I could still get excited for it, but it wouldn't be the set of my dreams or anything

TokenDuelist said:
"It has Ekken in the name therefore it's tekken related"

Poke+Fist

Also
Fist is in the TCG set's name too...
Tekken has absolutely nothing to do with the name. Putting this out there because it's a huge assumption people make
You're not wrong about the "Poké+Fist" part. But think about it, though.

Why ELSE would they make for a fairly odd/distinctive name like "Pokkén", if it wasn't meant to draw an almost immediate correlation (for fighting game fans, at least) between itself and a certain famous fighting game franchise that's known all over the world? It's either a fairly obvious homage-parody and/or a tie-in of some sort.

If it was not meant to be either of those things...they would have likely called it something else. Or at least something much simpler and to the point, like "Pokémon Battlers" or "Pokémon Fighters".

Furthermore, the fact that the trademarks we've seen for right now don't even have the full "Pokémon" name in the title is poignant, in my opinion. It would do a lot to suggest that they're pretty confident marketing it as "Pokkén" worldwide, and expecting everybody interested to "get the joke" hidden in the title.

This trademark was associated with NFC which is the little figures used in Rumble U. Nintendo is going to show off a new NFC game at E3 this year. This game is definitely getting revealed soon and it's definitely for Wii U.

Well, the overall hinting from yesterday's briefing was that the NFC figure line was going to be something that may apply to several Nintendo games in the future.

Pokkén itself may or may not be the flagship game that launches this thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it supported it in some way. The idea of being able to use figures in order to be able to save, transfer and carry custom fighter data for your characters to your friend's house and the like sounds like just the type of thing that Smash 4 (with its already known custom character features) and likely Pokkén could put to great use. Especially in this modern era where memory cards are a distant memory, themselves...

Back