Pokemon vs. Digimon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flare

2011 Worlds Winner
I've been thinking about some things. I've always just thought of Digimon of some kind of Pokemon rip-off and ignored it. But lately I've been seeing a lot of Digimon stories/art and decided to at least see what it was about. So I went onto the Digimon Wiki and started learning the basics.

I found out that Digimon is like Pokemon in some ways, but there are also a lot of differences. This makes me intrigued to learn even more about the franchise and possibly get into it. But to decide, I have some questions to the Digimon fans on this site.

How popular is Digimon compared to Pokemon?

What makes you like the series?

How is the anime compared to the Pokemon anime (which I don't like because I think it's too childish)?

One of the first things I like to do with a new series is pick my favorite character/creature. What is your favorite Digimon and what's a good way for me to pick mine without having to go through all 800+?

Finally, if I start getting interested in it, what are some good websites/forums to help me get started?

Peace out.

Well, the series in English has been dead for a long time, especially in England. I heard over in America, they've had the 4th and 5th Seasons dubbed, and they were apparantly quite bad.

Additionally, Digimon is based off of Tamagotchi-like toys which were released in the early 90s iirc, meaning Digimon actually came first.

Overall, it's a decent series, though I haven't really done anything with the series for a long time, save for watching the dubbed movie earlier this week and playing a few of the DS games.

How popular is Digimon compared to Pokemon? Pokemon completely overpowers digimon when it comes to popularity. It's about 9-1.

What makes you like the series? I'm not sure, but I'm gonna say because every new season comes with many new digimon (around 100) so you dont get bored.

What makes you dislike the series? They all end with mon. Really, it gets annoying >,>. Also, in season 5 a single falcon punch to the head knocks down giant digimon. One of the reasons i only liked seasons 1-4. (mostly 2)

How is the anime compared to the Pokemon anime? Its fairly similar but starting season 3 (when i started to leave digimon) they get rid of all traces of the previous charactors each season and replace them.

One of the first things I like to do with a new series is pick my favorite character/creature. What is your favorite Digimon and what's a good way for me to pick mine without having to go through all 800+? Well it all depends on what your looking for. while i was watching seasons 1 and 2 i liked Patamon and gatomon for their cuteness and now they're my favourite. But yeah, the best resource is digimon wiki, which it seems you already know of.

Mizuku Kagirinai said:
Additionally, Digimon is based off of Tamagotchi-like toys which were released in the early 90s iirc, meaning Digimon actually came first.

According Wikipedia

Tamagotchi (たまごっち, Tamagotchi?) is a handheld digital pet created in 1996 by Aki Maita and sold by Bandai.

Digimon started out as a digital pet called "Digital Monster," similar in style and concept to the Tamagotchi. It was planned by Wiz and released by Bandai on June 26, 1997

Pokémon (ポケモン, Pokemon?, English pronunciation: /ˈpoʊkeɪmɒn/[1]) is a media franchise published and owned by the video game company Nintendo and created by Satoshi Tajiri in 1996.

I hate digimon. Especially the show.

Please try to stay on topic. The maker of the thread asked for answers to his/her questions, not your opinion on the series. ~Xous

Mizuku Kagirinai said:
Well, the series in English has been dead for a long time, especially in England. I heard over in America, they've had the 4th and 5th Seasons dubbed, and they were apparantly quite bad.
I read a little bit about each season, and Season 4 doesn't seem that bad, but it looks like they pretty much messed up Season 5.

Also, to sonicyellow: I looked at some of the Digimon, and I still can't decide, AND I still have A LOT to go through. Any other ways?

Flare said:
I read a little bit about each season, and Season 4 doesn't seem that bad, but it looks like they pretty much messed up Season 5.

Also, to sonicyellow: I looked at some of the Digimon, and I still can't decide, AND I still have A LOT to go through. Any other ways?

No way is Season 4 better than Season 5, IMO. Season 5 actually did good compared to season 4, which made most viewers stop watching Digimon.

How popular is Digimon compared to Pokemon? Pokemon, as said before overpowers Digimon, but I honestly think that's because Pokemon came to America first and the games are much better.

What makes you like the series? I like the series because they are funny, entertaining and unlike pokemon they actually have a decent storyline. None the less, have you seen the movies, lovely anime graphics in my opinion of course.

How is the anime compared to the Pokemon anime (which I don't like because I think it's too childish)? I answered that above lol. Good story line, except I would have to say Digimon Frontier (Season 4), that was a horrible season, except the movie "Island of Lost Digimon" was good.

One of the first things I like to do with a new series is pick my favorite character/creature. What is your favorite Digimon and what's a good way for me to pick mine without having to go through all 800+?
My favs would have to be Veemon, Terriermon, and Gomamon. I would prefer you to watch the show when choosing a fav just because you can see what they are like and how they digivolve. But, it's basically what you like. Character designs, story all that good stuff. I like mine cause of the humor. You can always go to Withthewill.

But yeah, enough of my nerd talk. XD​

SotH said:
No way is Season 4 better than Season 5, IMO. Season 5 actually did good compared to season 4, which made most viewers stop watching Digimon. OK. Like I said, I only quickly looked at the seasons, so I trust you. :D

How popular is Digimon compared to Pokemon? Pokemon, as said before overpowers Digimon, but I honestly think that's because Pokemon came to America first and the games are much better.

What makes you like the series? I like the series because they are funny, entertaining and unlike pokemon they actually have a decent storyline. None the less, have you seen the movies, lovely anime graphics in my opinion of course. Yay for a decent storyline! Please tell me it isn't like 9/10 of the episodes being fillers like pokemon.

How is the anime compared to the Pokemon anime (which I don't like because I think it's too childish)? I answered that above lol. Good story line, except I would have to say Digimon Frontier (Season 4), that was a horrible season, except the movie "Island of Lost Digimon" was good. See above.

My favs would have to be Veemon, Terriermon, and Gomamon. I would prefer you to watch the show when choosing a favorite just because you can see what they are like and how they digivolve. But, it's basically what you like. Character designs, story all that good stuff. I like mine cause of the humor. You can always go to Withthewill. What's Withthewill?

But yeah, enough of my nerd talk. XD​
Answers in bold.

P.S. I may be coming to States! Yay!

Well, season 4 doesn't have fillers, but it's just really boring and it's not like Digimon. Since you are so used to seeing the Tamers with Digimon partners and not the people turning into them. I think the best thing that comes out of season 4 is that you get to see different Digimon that weren't in previous series.

A WtW is just a Digimon Forum. (Sorry mods if I'm advertising. D: )

P.S. States is in Dallas you better go. XD​

SotH said:
Well, season 4 doesn't have fillers, but it's just really boring and it's not like Digimon. Since you are so used to seeing the Tamers with Digimon partners and not the people turning into them. I think the best thing that comes out of season 4 is that you get to see different Digimon that weren't in previous series.

A WtW is just a Digimon Forum. (Sorry mods if I'm advertising. D: )

P.S. States is in Dallas you better go. XD​
I guess I could see how that would be an odd change. And I'll check that place out.

P.S. I think since it was used to answer my question, it's not considered advertising.

P.S.S. I really want to go, but it's my mom that makes the final decision.

Well technically only season 3 had "Tamers" but I get what you mean.

Like I said before, what do you look for in a digimon flare?

sonicyellow said:
Well technically only season 3 had "Tamers" but I get what you mean.

What do you mean? Like name wise? Every season except for Season 4 had tamers, that's what they mainly were, but in the first seasons they referred to them as partners. :/​

omahanime said:
According Wikipedia

Tamagotchi (たまごっち, Tamagotchi?) is a handheld digital pet created in 1996 by Aki Maita and sold by Bandai.

Digimon started out as a digital pet called "Digital Monster," similar in style and concept to the Tamagotchi. It was planned by Wiz and released by Bandai on June 26, 1997

Pokémon (ポケモン, Pokemon?, English pronunciation: /ˈpoʊkeɪmɒn/[1]) is a media franchise published and owned by the video game company Nintendo and created by Satoshi Tajiri in 1996.

Oh well. I knew they were somewhat similar to 'Tamagotchi' toys, and I must have accidently misread somewhere in the past that Digimon came first.

I still prefer Pokemon though.

[Edit] Isn't Season 5 the one where the each Digivice looks like an i-Pod Nano?

I think, in terms of just the anime, Digimon is better. At least, in terms of the original japanese versions. (I've never seen english, nor do I ever intend to.) But as a franchise in whole, Pokemon is far dominant.

sonicyellow said:
Well, with Pokemon, the first thing I would look for would be immediate appearance, meaning just at first glance I think "Wow, that's cool." Next, I look up some more info on it, like type, what mon they evolve from, etc., and decide if I still like it. Also, if I like them in the anime, that's kind of an added bonus. I do that with most of them (which was easier in Pokemon because I did it in the Johto/Hoenn era) and decide my favorite.

Right now, ironically, my favorite is Flaremon :D (but again, I still have a lot to go through).

Then yep, you should watch the anime. They make the characters look really nice when they Digivolve. Especially season 3 (Tamers).

Like the movies make the digivolutions look cool too, I can give you a list of those too. I know all the movies.​

Flare said:
OK, I'm going to watch the first episode on Youtube right now.

which season? Seasons 2 and 4 have some cool digimon as well.

EDIT: yes, season 5 had those ipod nano digivices :p

sonicyellow said:
which season? Seasons 2 and 4 have some cool digimon as well.

EDIT: yes, season 5 had those ipod nano digivices :p
I watched Season 1, Episode 1. Even though it was a bit awkward, it was much better than the Pokemon anime.

Flare said:
I watched Season 1, Episode 1. Even though it was a bit awkward, it was much better than the Pokemon anime.

The first episodes of almost (if not all) of the seasons of digimon is just introducing characters. But when you get to later episodes they get a bit less boring and awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back