Pokemon Pokemon to Run Ad During Super Bowl!

Yeah, just like other events... JAPAN GETS IT ALL! But, I think Pokemon GO will actually have Pokemon placed randomly around your area. If Nintendo decides if they want to have certain "special" Pokemon they should at least put them at certain locations that everyone might be able to get to. For example, instead of a CHARIZARD IN TOKYO, why not a Florges in a local flower shop.

I think they will do that. I was just giving some examples.

I think they will do that. I was just giving some examples.
Yeah, but I was thinking of putting Pokemon in corresponding locations like Florges at a flower shop or Vannilite at an ice cream parlor. If they made stuff like that, I'd probably have a better time with Pokemon GO :)

Yeah, but I was thinking of putting Pokemon in corresponding locations like Florges at a flower shop or Vannilite at an ice cream parlor. If they made stuff like that, I'd probably have a better time with Pokemon GO :)

That's a really good idea. It would be cool if they do that, at least for some of the Pokemon.

I can't even with that

At least we get to see that it's not only Kanto Pokemon in Pokemon Go, seeing as Mega Lucario is there, so that's nice, but I was kinda expecting a little more..

This is so weird. It doesn't really advertise anything. If it had shown people playing, or even hinted at, the 3DS games or the cards or something it would make more sense. It doesn't even advertise Pokemon GO since nobody in that commercial had their phones.

It's basically just "Hey everyone! Remember Pokemon? It's still a thing!"

I really hope this isn't the commercial that airs, it's just god awful as sad as I am to say it. Plus like many others has already said, it doesn't advertise anything. I can see if they had people playing the vgc or tcg that would at least be advertising something, but this is a sad waste of money.

Guys, look who this is being targeted at. Of course they're not going to go into much detail or - gods forbid - show any actual cards or gameplay. American football fans would laugh it off and use this time to ask their wives to get them another beer.

This ad isn't for us. It's for everyone else. This ad is for those who don't already check Pokébeach daily or have set and game release dates written on their hands. This ad is meant to appeal to a new audience, and... It just might, actually.

Also, oh the feels in that last clip.

Aw, I expected more! It does make me excited though :p
I hope I can catch a Pidove somewhere nearby!

I was not expecting it this soon, but at least fans disappointed by it now won't cry about it during the Superbowl, as surely hype and expectations would have been even greater by then.

I thought it was a fine commercial. The CG pokemon is... lol, but it's intense enough for the general public. I was personally hoping for some kind of hint to Pokemon Z but I guess we still have to wait for that.

Guys, look who this is being targeted at. Of course they're not going to go into much detail or - gods forbid - show any actual cards or gameplay. American football fans would laugh it off and use this time to ask their wives to get them another beer.

This ad isn't for us. It's for everyone else. This ad is for those who don't already check Pokébeach daily or have set and game release dates written on their hands. This ad is meant to appeal to a new audience, and... It just might, actually.

Also, oh the feels in that last clip.

That's kind of it though. They haven't told these people who know nothing about Pokemon what it is they're advertising.

Say I'm a random Joe at the Superbowl and I see that ad and think it looks really cool. What do I do then? There was no 3DS in the ad and no logo at the end so I don't know I can buy a video game. There was no "Available at Wallmart or whatever" to tell me where I can get the cards. Pokemon GO isn't out yet so there's no information there. Unless I do my own research I don't know what that cool thing I just saw is or how I can get more of it.

When Clash of Clans did their Superbowl ad last year they showed Liam Neeson playing Clash on his phone. You knew exactly how and where to find that cool thing you just saw. This ad had no call to action.

That's kind of it though. They haven't told these people who know nothing about Pokemon what it is they're advertising.

Say I'm a random Joe at the Superbowl and I see that ad and think it looks really cool. What do I do then? There was no 3DS in the ad and no logo at the end so I don't know I can buy a video game. There was no "Available at Wallmart or whatever" to tell me where I can get the cards. Pokemon GO isn't out yet so there's no information there. Unless I do my own research I don't know what that cool thing I just saw is or how I can get more of it.

When Clash of Clans did their Superbowl ad last year they showed Liam Neeson playing Clash on his phone. You knew exactly how and where to find that cool thing you just saw. This ad had no call to action.
To be fair, it advertises the Pokemon20 website.
But yeah, it does seems like a missed opportunity since they could have advertised a product instead.

This was just bad. Its the Super Bowl for crying out loud! This isn't an event I care about but I would have at least tuned in to see what Pokemon had planned and they showed nothing. Parents already know what Pokemon is if they have children so I have no idea who the T.A. is here. A better commercial would have been 'A black dad and a white dad having a beer (budweiser because 'Merica and football) over the grill in football jerseys grilling stake, hamburgers and hot dogs talking about something, then of of their kids come up with their 3DS showing them fighting a legendary Pokemon and he like "look daddy, can you help me catch that?" and he looks over to see what it is. The other dad says "what's that?" and he responds with "Its Pokemon." Other dad says something like "my boy plays that as well" and he calls him over so he could help his son out then they share a laugh or something. Camera pans out on them and the screen show a Pokemon logo with a heartfelt quote or something.

Anything else would have done.

This is so weird. It doesn't really advertise anything. If it had shown people playing, or even hinted at, the 3DS games or the cards or something it would make more sense. It doesn't even advertise Pokemon GO since nobody in that commercial had their phones.

It's basically just "Hey everyone! Remember Pokemon? It's still a thing!"
The ad is exactly what it should be. A generic ad for Pokemon. I'm kicking myself for not putting this in the last news story, which I had written up in one of the drafts:

Don't expect the ad to be anything more than a general ad for the franchise. It will undoubtedly feature the "Train On" slogan, perhaps with kids training outdoors with subtle Pokemon references, and will then reveal at the end that this is for Pokemon (like the OR/AS commercial at E3). Super Bowl ads don't reveal things (many fans will probably think as a fan would - that it will reveal a new game), but the ads are more about bringing awareness to a brand. So it'll probably just subtly advertise Pokemon GO with some outdoor physical activities ("Train On") and then tell people to check out the 20th anniversary site. Super Bowl ads are only for piquing interest in a brand. They're not specific, and they don't make new announcements.

Also updated the news story with the press release, which reveals more details about the ad.

Oh man, how cool would it be if Pokemon were real and there were actual Pokemon tournaments like that.

LOOOL! What a f'ing joke! Are they serious with this? If I wasn't into Pokémon, I would be laughing at this if I watched it on TV...

I thought it was a good ad. Made me feel good about Pokemon. The fact that it didn't show anything doesn't really matter: Pokemon is everywhere. People will get details later. This will alter and improve people's attitude about Pokemon, which is a much more important thing.

At least for me, makes me feel proud and really pumped and excited to play Pokemon and it seems like a cool thing to do after watching the ad. I think people not really familiar with the brand may feel the same.

EDIT: my girlfriend loved the ad xD she was intrigued before even knowing it was Pokemon.

also I just noticed "like no-one ever was" above the football players' door.

Stop hating guys this ad is awesome xD

Last edited:
Back