Pokemon Pokemon to Run Ad During Super Bowl!

also I just noticed "like no-one ever was" above the football players' door.

That was neat.

The football team's logo too. The news ticker stories. The ads at the metro junction. The Nidoqueen(?) chess piece.
Any more little details spotted?

Pretty nice commercial for just advertising Pokémon's 20th. I really wanted them to parody Aerosmith's "Dream On" but with their slogan "Train On" though! :p

I really don't understand the hate, I love this! And hey at least the CG is better than what it was for other commercials *cough*roaringskies*cough*

I like it but it doesn't advertise anything. Pokemon you must be rich to just throw away 5 MILLION DOLLARS!

theres a drawing at 12 seconds in not sure which poke it is too blurry, at 14 there's a learn to surf hm03 and the tv has the word kanto in the bottom right corner

Last edited:
Were people expecting an announcement? That's what most Super Bowl commercials are. Be it Doritos, Budweiser, they're all commercials just to say "hey, we still exist and do stuff!". This commercial was meant to pull in the older audience who might have thought Pokemon died off ages ago, and show the younger crowd that Pokemon is still "cool" with young adults.

I like it but it doesn't advertise anything. Pokemon you must be rich to just throw away 5 MILLION DOLLARS!

Super Bowl Ads are not designed to advertise anything other then the company who created the ad. This ad is designed to show how much Pokemon progressed over 20 years and how it's trying to capture the young demographic and the older demographic who once played Pokemon as Rusty Sticks said.

It's not throwing away money if you capture the demographics you are attempting to appeal to.

That was...very disappointing. In my opinion.
Even for a Pokemon GO commercial...it barely showed any game footage, which was sad to me. :(

Although it's not my favourite advertisement, I do think it hooks you right from the beginning. The music is catching and the first words said are intriguing. And it does have Pikachu (which like everyone knows something about) and then specifically mentions Pokemon 20 at the end, so overall, I think it's pretty cool.

Most all professional reviews have nothing but praise for this ad. It does an amazing job encapsulating the spirit of the franchise.

It's not about information or announcing stuff, it's about getting people fired up about Pokemon!

So a Nike ad with cheap looking CGI Pokemon added in.

What a missed opportunity to advertise Pokemon GO. Even just having 3 seconds at the end of this to say Pokemon GO Download on iOS and Android would have been infinitely better. Why even have a Super Bowl commercial then? Why let the cat out of the bag 2 weeks before it airs? I cringed when I saw the scene of the girl running down a series of chess tables making moves, that idea has been done so many times.

This is so weird. It doesn't really advertise anything. If it had shown people playing, or even hinted at, the 3DS games or the cards or something it would make more sense. It doesn't even advertise Pokemon GO since nobody in that commercial had their phones.

It's basically just "Hey everyone! Remember Pokemon? It's still a thing!"

Yeah, I totally agree! What an odd, and wasteful commercial.

Gotta say. I'm kind of underwhelmed.

If the starting was going to be "I can do that," perhaps it would have been better to follow through the football example (even globally; with different cultures because I really really liked that). Then as we go through the age groups we can see how Pokémon follows.

Idk. I was kind of expecting better, but that in itself was likely my downfall.

I really loved this commercial, showing Pokémon as a whole instead of one specific part of the franchise . It will remind some people who forgot about it and also new fans, they will look up what they like about Pokémon whether it's the cards, games, toys, anime, manga, art, etc.

It showed that it's for any age. Kids, pre-teens, adults. That anyone can do it, they can train and join in!

All the Easter eggs were really cool, I want a Pokémon chess set. The football team with the volcano badge logo was awesome as well!

This definitely has me excited for the 20th anniversary! Train on!

When the rugby/football (where ever you are on the world) are walking to the field, you can see 2 players next to eachother with the numbers 19 and 96. When Pokémon was created (1996)

I really like that detail. (0:35 on the video!)

I figured...These type of ads is why I have to explain so much to parents.

What parents want to know is what is at stake.
* A chance to play for your country
* A 25,000 dollar scholarship
* A signed championship card set with their child's name on it
*An upward value of another approx $2,500 in prizes at worlds
* Personal Pride -- The Pokemon Cup

If you want kids and parents to spend more money on the game, explain the stakes. The more I explain the stakes to parents, the more they take the game a bit more seriously. The more parents see the silly pokemon, pokemon arenas, and pokemon balls the less they have interest in getting their kids involved in the game, because they know it's a lie. If pokemon wants the next generation to be involved in the game, they need to advertise the truth.

Sad...they didn't even show anyone holding up the pokemon cup.

I figured...These type of ads is why I have to explain so much to parents.

What parents want to know is what is at stake.
* A chance to play for your country
* A 25,000 dollar scholarship
* A signed championship card set with their child's name on it
*An upward value of another approx $2,500 in prizes at worlds
* Personal Pride -- The Pokemon Cup

If you want kids and parents to spend more money on the game, explain the stakes. The more I explain the stakes to parents, the more they take the game a bit more seriously. The more parents see the silly pokemon, pokemon arenas, and pokemon balls the less they have interest in getting their kids involved in the game, because they know it's a lie. If pokemon wants the next generation to be involved in the game, they need to advertise the truth.

Sad...they didn't even show anyone holding up the pokemon cup.

Except I don't think Pokemon was trying to advertise the competitive side of things, more the franchise. For that reason, the advertisement makes sense for its concept.

Except I don't think Pokemon was trying to advertise the competitive side of things, more the franchise. For that reason, the advertisement makes sense for its concept.

I'd agree if the logo wasn't Train On! Train On suggest that you are training to compete. Otherwise why train? It's likes nike slogan just do it!

Just do it! means to not only do it, but do it at the highest level possible. Which the underlying reality is to compete at the highest level possible.

Though I think Train On! is a better logo than Just do it! They both represent competition ethic, except, Just do it tells the story of how to do it. You run a mile, than you run two. Than you run three than you compete in a 5k than you win than you compete in a 10k than you win and go to the olympics..it takes you through evolution of Just Do It!

Train On! -- means the same thing except it is not being express truthfully to the audience. If they were smart, you start the audience at the ground level where the leagues are around the world and walk the audience on how to Train On! You talk about risks, reasons, emotional stress levels through the eyes of the players, and then you hit the audience with Pokemon Cup and Train On! Without the how to train on, the commercial falls short of actually telling any kind of story. It doesn't even represent any concise branding at all. A 5 second spill of pokemon floating around leaves the watcher thinking, was that a pokemon commercial? If your left with that feeling, that commercial doesn't represent any kind of branding. And instead, your sort of irritated that it tried to emotionally manipulate you.

Just thoughts on the commercial itself.

Wait. I was searching for Easter eggs and this is what I found.
The music at the is just cut off, instead of fading away. Could that mean that the ad during the super bowl itself reveals more, something like an release date? Or is it just playing with us..

I don't know, but it does sound interesting.
Oh and that car at 0:10, is that something that has to do with Mew?

Back