Pokemon Pokemon Therapy, (Are you ashamed of your hobby?)

ItalianBlock

Aspiring Trainer
Is anyone else ashamed of themselves for still collecting pokemon cards? I'm in highschool, 15, a starter on the football team, and I am popular. It really makes me think I am a nerd underneith that I am still doing something that everyone stopped doing back in 4th grade.
Like going to any store to buy a pack of cards everyones all like ?!!pokemon?!? you still play that?!!

Anyone else feel like that about pokemon?

RE: Ashamed of pokemon?

NO way. If you really like pokemon then why are you ashamed? Don't be embarressed by what other people think. If people are really horrible to you for collecting then they are just plain mean. But if they don't really care, why should you? Anyways, Why do you feel nerdy? Asuming you are telling the truth when you say you are popular, why does doing something fun make you feel stupid? If you like pokemon, don't be ashamed.

If you still like to play Pokemon, there is nothing wrong to support what you like to do. Just because of what people still think about it doesn't mean you should feel ashamed of your hobby. "Don't let others dictate the way you live your life." That's one of my quotes I would like to use right now.

Me. There's not much Pokemon hate around, which pretty much only exists in freshman now. And since I'm a sophomore, I can go slap them around now. ;) lol jk I used to feel ashamed of playing Pokemon, but eventually, I thought it was silly to let other people think what I like to do is stupid as well as finding out a lot of my friends still play it so I joined up with them. :)

yeah your right. I just talked to a guy on another forum and hes a varsity senior football player and still plays so that makes me feel a hell of alot better.

people tell me all the time " OMG you still play pokemon i ripped up all my cards 10 years ago" but they just conformists to try and be so called " cool " but it dosnt matter if it makes you happy go ahead and like pokemon

I personally don't let my friends know I play pokemon and I'm a freshman too.I've been playing a year and a half and I feel if I tell my friends now, "Oh yeah I play pokemon and have been playing it a year and a half.SUPRISE!!" Don't you think that would be a little freaky?Its like a secret life and I just can't come around to tell my freinds.1.5 years is a long time and telling them after so long would be weird.

I’m 38 and I’m not ashamed.

High school is an interesting time. The social dynamics are different then than they are in any other time in life. I completely understand wanting to fit in and whatnot. One of the things that I remember most strongly about high school is that, while there were jocks, nerds, outcasts, slackers, and all sorts of groups ... a few teenagers were self assured enough to stand out above that. I remember one guy who was smart (#2 in the class), athletic (football & baseball), and just generally cool. He was able to fit in with all sorts of folks and he wasn’t the only one like that ... it’s just that there were a lot more of everyone else who seemed stuck in their little cliques or social groups that they had been forced into one way or another.

It’s all about confidence. Everyone has doubts from time to time but if you believe in yourself and do the things you like then you will be just fine. I just wish that I had understood that as well when I was younger. :)

I don't let anyone at my school KNOW I play...
^
EDIT

You don't let anyone play? Or is that you don't let anyone at your school know you play?

I say...
*inserts word here* you, I lead my own life. I don't care about what you think I should or shouldn't do.

I just live through the teasing. In fact, I don't really mind. Actually, I purposely let everyone know that I still play, for I want to be a nerd.

16 outta 20 boys play the TCG in my class! so I'm not ashamed.
P.S a girl collects in my class.

Only 2 person in my class play. Whenever there are special events, I do nothing other than play with him in the class. Even though my classmates looked at us, we don't feel ashame. Why would we while we have fun and they don't?:p

Haha, I let everyone in my class know that I play... Technically, I'm the only girl that plays in my class.

I have a few friends who play and know I play, so when I'm with them, I'm not ashamed about Pokemon at all, but when I'm with people who don't know that I still play Pokemon, then I don't actually tell them, so ends up being a secret life from the majority.

Some people say you should never care what other people think, and that you should do your own thing.

Well, sod that.

The truth is you should always pay attention to what others think of you, because those people can make your life a misery. I was smart enough not to let anyone know I played pokemon, and I enjoyed a happy time at school because of that awareness. But others I knew weren't so lucky, and sometimes got bullied* for what they did as a hobby (not pokemon related, though).

So I just thought I'd share a little wisdom there. The idea of "not caring what others think" belongs in a fairytale, not in real life.

*In school, everyone gets appointed a role in the community. Some get the "bully", others get the "teachers pet". I got the "Agony aunt" in a way, so I heard about this kind of thing.

You should pay attention. But they shouldn't be able to make your life a misery. Be proud of what you do. I get food chucked at me every day. It doesn't bother me. But that's a totally different reason, though...

I don't go around advertising it, but if someone asks, I'm not afraid to say yes.

People don't NEED to know, if they know, whatever, if they want to bother me with that, whatever, if they want to bully me for that, they just get themselves into trouble, if they say it's childish, stupid, person, a waste of money: " I WON FREAKING 500$ WITH THOSE STUPID POKEMON CARDS!"
Not that I have much of a reputation anyways, popularity is just another set of rules which we obey for no good reason at all, something like fashion or politeness, and I never follow rules if there's no need for them to be followed...
I just keep low-profile when it comes to pokémon in a non-Pokémon environment, simple as that.

Back