TheRainmaker

I like Expanded
So what's the general consensus of how to proceed? Hold off on claiming codes in PTCGO and don't open any packs or products you already have on your account? Isn't there going to be a gift of crafting materials in Live based on how many packs you have in PTCGO?
I've been redeeming packs from sets that I have nowhere near competition (e.g. Sun/Moon or early Sword & Shield sets that I don't even have 4 copies of most commons/uncommons let alone the rares and above) to trade for low value V's, Full Arts, and Secret Rares (e.g. in PTCGO secret rare Boost Shake and Exp Share is only 3-5 packs while Quick Ball is 100+, but they all only cost 2K each to redeem in PTCGL, so I traded some packs for the low value secret rares so I can redeem more valuable ones with my points in PTCGL). As I have Brilliant Stars, Celebrations, Lost Origin, and some other sets mostly completed, I have saved my codes for those since that will result in huge amounts of crafting points from opening them in PTCGL. I've also been redeeming extra ETB codes to trade the sleeves for packs to then trade for cards.

You also want to have 125 packs when transferring from PTCGO to PTCGL to gain the max amount of crystals from those converting. If you've been playing since PTCGL was announced, you could easily have passed that amount in untradeable packs. If you're nowhere near that amount, I'm not sure redeeming packs to reach that amount is worth it or not, but if you're really close to a breakpoint (125 being the highest one) it might be worth considering.

Last edited:

Upstart5

Aspiring Trainer
I've been redeeming packs from sets that I have nowhere near competition (e.g. Sun/Moon or early Sword & Shield sets that I don't even have 4 copies of most commons/uncommons let alone the rares and above) to trade for low value V's, Full Arts, and Secret Rares (e.g. in PTCGO secret rare Boost Shake and Exp Share is only 3-5 packs while Quick Ball is 100+, but they all only cost 2K each to redeem in PTCGL, so I traded some packs for the low value secret rares so I can redeem more valuable ones with my points in PTCGL). As I have Brilliant Stars, Celebrations, Lost Origin, and some other sets mostly completed, I have saved my codes for those since that will result in huge amounts of crafting points from opening them in PTCGL.

You also want to have 125 packs when transferring from PTCGO to PTCGL to gain the max amount of crystals from those converting. If you've been playing since PTCGL was announced, you could easily have passed that amount in untradeable packs. If you're nowhere near that amount, I'm not sure redeeming packs to reach that amount is worth it or not, but if you're really close to a breakpoint (125 being the highest one) it might be worth considering.
Thanks for the advice! That's a great tip regarding the lesser-desired secret rares and the like.

I can't wait to be able craft whatever cards from the new set without having to have 100s of packs to trade for them.

Shinryu

Aspiring Trainer
So I have a ton of old (and I mean like really old from when I used to play years ago) codes. Was thinking of trying to get back into the TCG a bit with the release of this and I guess my question is twofold: about how old of an expansion will the game accept codes for, and is it better to use them now in the current PTCGO or this new one when it goes live?

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
So I have a ton of old (and I mean like really old from when I used to play years ago) codes. Was thinking of trying to get back into the TCG a bit with the release of this and I guess my question is twofold: about how old of an expansion will the game accept codes for, and is it better to use them now in the current PTCGO or this new one when it goes live?
It accepts all codes, but for the foreseeable future you can only play SM-on.

Tvoretz

?
It's hard to definitively say where you should redeem your codes/open your packs, but here are some factors for you to consider:
  • As Mimikeon mentioned, all codes work in Live, but pre-SM cards are temporarily unusable, except for reprinted cards like Switch and Ultra Ball. Live's patch notes demonstrate TPCi is actively working on implementing those old cards, but there's no timeline for them to actually be made usable.
  • You may only redeem 400 codes for booster packs of any given set in Live (400 Dragons Exalted + 400 Legendary Treasures is fine, 800 Dragons Exalted isn't.) Packs earned through playing Live or bought in Live's in-game shop don't count toward this limit. The limit is lower for codes that give promo cards or deck accessories.
  • Upon migration, up to 125 unopened packs (including trade-locked packs) you had in PTCGO will be converted to Crystals in Live, which can be spent on the packs or bundles of your choice in Live's in-game shop. That's 125 total, not 125 for each set.
  • Booster packs are less true to life in Live - they only give 5 cards instead of 10, but each card has a small chance of being replaced with a high rarity card.
  • Live replaces trading with a card crafting system - whenever you obtain a card of which you already have the maximum number of copies (usually 4), it will be converted to Credits, which can be saved up and spent to obtain the card of your choice. However, this conversion does not apply to cards migrated from PTCGO; excess copies of cards you obtain from the migration are lost with no compensation.
  • Codes from most XY and SM era tins provide a full deck in PTCGO, including 2 copies of the tin's promo card and 6 foil basic energy, but those same codes provide only a single copy of the promo and no other cards in Live. Those particular codes should definitely be redeemed in PTCGO.

Jaywoz360

Aspiring Trainer
I've been redeeming packs from sets that I have nowhere near competition (e.g. Sun/Moon or early Sword & Shield sets that I don't even have 4 copies of most commons/uncommons let alone the rares and above) to trade for low value V's, Full Arts, and Secret Rares (e.g. in PTCGO secret rare Boost Shake and Exp Share is only 3-5 packs while Quick Ball is 100+, but they all only cost 2K each to redeem in PTCGL, so I traded some packs for the low value secret rares so I can redeem more valuable ones with my points in PTCGL). As I have Brilliant Stars, Celebrations, Lost Origin, and some other sets mostly completed, I have saved my codes for those since that will result in huge amounts of crafting points from opening them in PTCGL. I've also been redeeming extra ETB codes to trade the sleeves for packs to then trade for cards.

Just so I'm clear. I will be able to use "locked" non-tradeable packs for crystals?

TheRainmaker

I like Expanded
Just so I'm clear. I will be able to use "locked" non-tradeable packs for crystals?
Yeah, with the exception of pre-BW era packs, untradeable packs count and I've accumulated 125 of them since the announcement. As taken from the support page:

The following unopened items are excluded from this count:

• Booster packs and theme decks from the HeartGold & SoulSilver, HS—Unleashed, HS—Undaunted, HS—Triumphant, and Call of Legends expansions
  • Reward Chests

dineinunes

Buzzwole Appreciation Account
There are zero modern day digital card games that has in-game trading, and there is a very good reason for that.
Trading on digital platforms is predatory, and hard to keep in control. If you give a loophole, these people will take it and go for a joyride.
Given access to mobile, and the people that will play it. It will even be harder to control trading.
I think the biggest problem is not exactly trading but the fact that there is only trading in PTCGO. If there was a trading AND a craft system then things would be much better. Only trading is what makes things like SR Ultra Ball over 100 packs or Tropical Beach costing over 1000 packs possible. If you can craft these cards then you can set a limit to how much they are worth. Let's say 10 packs gives you enough credit to craft a SR Ultra Ball, why would you then pay more through trading to get it? There is no reason. So you cap the value of highly wanted cards at a maximum. But you ended up opening a SR Toy Catcher that is not that sought after. Well, now instead of sitting there on your inventory without use, you can trade it with someone for less packs than it costs to craft.
I think a mix of trading and crafting would be the best approach for the game.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
I think the biggest problem is not exactly trading but the fact that there is only trading in PTCGO. If there was a trading AND a craft system then things would be much better. Only trading is what makes things like SR Ultra Ball over 100 packs or Tropical Beach costing over 1000 packs possible. If you can craft these cards then you can set a limit to how much they are worth. Let's say 10 packs gives you enough credit to craft a SR Ultra Ball, why would you then pay more through trading to get it? There is no reason. So you cap the value of highly wanted cards at a maximum. But you ended up opening a SR Toy Catcher that is not that sought after. Well, now instead of sitting there on your inventory without use, you can trade it with someone for less packs than it costs to craft.
Just FYI, you can't craft Tropical Beach or any other Worlds promo or card exclusive to irl events.

Also, you wouldn't need to add trading to do what you mentioned here. You'd just add the ability to turn cards into credits manually, which every game except Live offers.

Clear

Birb is the Word
Just FYI, you can't craft Tropical Beach or any other Worlds promo or card exclusive to irl events.

Also, you wouldn't need to add trading to do what you mentioned here. You'd just add the ability to turn cards into credits manually, which every game except Live offers.
At least Live does not do it like Master Duel where there are a lot of rules where the credits are sorted into rarity.
I will take that "have to have overdupes" over "rarity sorted credits" any day of the week. It makes it fair. Just buy packs, nothing complicated.

As I said, it is a fair trade off to have it like that. I understand why dismantling might be a good mechanic, however, we just can't having trading. If you look at PTCGO this week in the price of Lugia VStar, you will see exactly what I mean. Every trade is looking for a plus, but who is paying for that? No one wants to be on the losing side.

Let's just say for a second here that, Live didn't give us a full Lugia deck for free. Even then, it would still be cheaper to craft them on Live on Day 1, so we can play the game. Instead of waiting for 8 hours, beg for a low ball, or ask for favors from the benevolent secondary market.

This is not like in irl where collector items have value. In digital, only the cards that you can use earns the keep. If we have trading, it will just be a NFT simulator, which is managed by secondary market that can actually get irl money from it. It is impossible to manage and enforce, and therefore, should just be axed, and have everyone deal with the house from now on. We just can't have nice things, cause every degenerate will try to take advantage of a system.