Pokemon Showdown!

Blueinvader

This isn't that clever. Really.
Anyone play this? What do you think of it?

I think it's really good for trying out teams that are going into tournaments.

Currently, I'm trying UU. Team:

Four Arms (Ambipom) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Pursuit

DeathRose (Roserade) @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Gentle Nature
- Giga Drain
- Toxic Spikes
- Bullet Seed
- Rest

GreenMachine (Machamp) @ Choice Band
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- DynamicPunch
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

LiekMudkipz (Swampert) @ Life Orb
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Stealth Rock
- Aqua Tail

idk n00bs (Smeargle) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Baton Pass
- Bulk Up
- Nasty Plot

FlamingSpade (Chandelure) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Electric]

That's because the Gen V games on the DS/3DS handhelds don't allow for Lv. 100 Flat Battles in Singles on GTS like the Gen IV games do where you don't need to grind a team up to
Lv. 100. I wouldn't be surprised If Game Freak decides not to bring back Lv. 100 Flat Battles on Wi-Fi for Pokemon X and Y because they prefer Lv. 50 Flat Doubles like they've been doing in VGC's since Gen IV. I still prefer Lv. 100 Flat over Lv. 50 Flat but whatever. I'm just sick and tired of VGC's always having to be Lv. 50 Flat Doubles under a strict time limit, why can't it be longer you know? I'd also love for VGC's to be 6 on 6 Lv. 100 Flat Battles but that will never happen unfortunately.

That's the biggest reason why Pokemon players have shifted from Wi-Fi Battling on the actual handhelds to Pokemon Showdown which is sad cause it will hurt sales for X and Y on the 3DS If someone manages to create a 3DS ROM to play X and Y on an emulator and put all the Gen VI 3D Pokemon models in Showdown. I don't think X and Y in Gen VI will sell as good as Red/Blue/Yellow did in Gen I, Pokemon's novelty has been wearing off over the years. I overheard that the Gen I games sold 35 to 40 million units worldwide more than any other generation of Pokemon games to date while the Gen II games I think sold at least 15 to 20 million worldwide before global sales have declined for the franchise since then.

No, by far the biggest reason people play on simulators is because what would normally take hours to catch, breed, and EV train a team can be done in just a small fraction of that time on a simulator. If you want to change a Pokemon's set, you will have to start all over again in the cartridge if you want an egg move or to change EVs or nature, while it only takes a matter of seconds to do on a sim. I literally could not care less about Game Freak's official Wi-Fi rules and I know from experience that most people on simulators feel the same way. I'm not saying there aren't people who have this problem, just that the vast majority are solely doing it for the convenience.

Well with the new PokeBank / Poke Transporter feature in Gen VI by storing Pokemon from your DS/3DS handheld games onto the Cloud you can change a Pokemon's moveset, Effort Values (EV's), Egg Moves, and Natures by starting your main adventure over again and beating it again so that you can use PokeBank / Poke Transporter to transfer the Pokemon you stored in the Cloud straight to your new save file in Pokemon X and Y but that would still be just as tedious If the features were not available.

So what's the point in getting Pokemon X and Y If the Pokemon video games are mostly played for competitive battles with the best convenience possible where you never have to get a Starter Pokemon by going on a journey to beat 8 Gym Leaders, the Elite Four, and the League Champion while completing your Pokedex when a simulator is the way to go for now on without all the grinding and breeding because most people who played Pokemon from
Gen I to Gen V have beaten the same game 20+ times including the remakes. No wonder why people say that Pokemon is the Call of Duty of JRPG's.

Wow I can't believe (almost)NO ONE (on showdownt there are exceptions)cares about an actual story. For me if it doesn't have one I probably will hate the game. Besides most pokeplayers are not competitive anyways since most either can't be or don't want to be.

Well there are casual and competitive Pokemon players, the casual one's I usually see online do LP's on YouTube of old Pokemon games regardless If they're ROM hacks or official titles released by Nintendo/Game Freak instead of Wi-Fi Battling like they did back in Gen IV while the competitive players have shifted from Wi-Fi to Simulator only. Some competitive players have even stuck exclusively to Gen IV such as YouTube's MTGXerxes and JackieChun82.

zappy800 said:
Wow I can't believe (almost)NO ONE (on showdownt there are exceptions)cares about an actual story.
Your post is a perfect example of why you shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about.
Card Slinger J said:
So what's the point in getting Pokemon X and Y If the Pokemon video games are mostly played for competitive battles with the best convenience possible where you never have to get a Starter Pokemon by going on a journey to beat 8 Gym Leaders, the Elite Four, and the League Champion while completing your Pokedex when a simulator is the way to go for now on without all the grinding and breeding because most people who played Pokemon from
Gen I to Gen V have beaten the same game 20+ times including the remakes. No wonder why people say that Pokemon is the Call of Duty of JRPG's.
Except they aren't mostly played for competitive battles. Both of you are assuming that we only play simulators and that they are substitutes for the actual games. Neither of these things are true. The majority of us buy the games for the experience of the casual story mode and then play competitive on sims. Playing on sims and wi-fi isn't mutually exclusive, either. Some people are fine with wi-fi's shitty banlist and clauses and just use sims to test teams before taking the time to train it in-game.

well as far as actually rating the team, Smeargle needs Spore and Shell Smash in addition to Baton Pass (this makes the other 3 moves you chose obsolete and leaves room for the filler move of your choice, whether it be Cosmic Power, Taunt, Ingrain, Substitute, Seismic Toss, or something else [remember Smeargle has crap attack stats almost on par with Shuckle]). I think this might do better in the RMT section, and if that's the aim, I'll make more thorough suggestions (I don't want to waste my time here if this is just going to be another one of those pointless fights over who plays the games and for what reason)

Cinesra said:
Card Slinger J said:
Except they aren't mostly played for competitive battles. Both of you are assuming that we only play simulators and that they are substitutes for the actual games. Neither of these things are true. The majority of us buy the games for the experience of the casual story mode and then play competitive on sims. Playing on sims and wi-fi isn't mutually exclusive, either. Some people are fine with wi-fi's shitty banlist and clauses and just use sims to test teams before taking the time to train it in-game.

But why pay $35-40 for the casual story mode just to sell your used copy of Pokemon X and Y at GameStop or some other place that buys and sells video games after you've beaten it just for playing on the sims exclusively? Doesn't that take away from the game's replay and post-game value overall? If you're not going to bother with Gen VI then stick with the sims, Nintendo is just trying to make more money off of Pokemon which kept it alive for a decade on a dying handheld that's getting phased out for mobile gaming on smartphone and tablet devices where mainstream video game companies aren't taking advantage of merging with popular phone companies like Apple and T-Mobile.

How is it different from pokemon online? I've only played pokemon online once or twice and it felt unfulfilling. I'm currently working on a team for wi-fi battles but I saw that pokebeach has their own server with chat rooms and such so that looks appealing as long as the community is similar to the forums.

Terack said:
How is it different from pokemon online? I've only played pokemon online once or twice and it felt unfulfilling. I'm currently working on a team for wi-fi battles but I saw that pokebeach has their own server with chat rooms and such so that looks appealing as long as the community is similar to the forums.
The Pokebeach PO server hasn't been up recently (pretty much since Nationals for the TCG). PO isn't much different than PS, but it seems to have a shrinking player base and isn't as easy to customise play as in PS, as I understand it. The only reason I don't use PS personally is that something always bugs out when I use PS so it almost never uses the move I chose in battle (no one else seems to have this problem either :/). In any case, I do like PO's teambuilder better since I can more easily see what I'm doing when building a team in addition to the familiarity I have with its layout (I have no personal reason for dislikeing PS other than not being able to battle as I want. I only wish I could find is a "5th gen street pokemon" tier. Mimic/rage glitch change competition drastically, removing most Ubers from their place of power with things like Spore Ninjask, Skill Swap/Dragon Dance Slaking, and Sheer Cold/No Guard Machamp, all of which are possibly by glitching pokemon and none require hacking or outside editing of the pokemon).

Terack said:

Well first let me ask you this, how exactly did Pokemon Online feel unfulfilling? How many Pokemon players still do Wi-Fi Battles anymore unless If it's for VGC's? Not a whole lot compared to the amount that exclusively do Online Simulators instead. So instead of wasting $35-40 on Pokemon X and Y and you're only into the Pokemon video games for competitive battling exclusively then you're better off waiting til someone gets a 3DS ROM for X and Y to play them on Simulators. It's going to happen eventually whether or not If we get Pokemon Z or numbered sequels to the Gen VI games like we did in Gen V with BW2.

Although I can't guarantee If the graphics will be as good on the Online Simulator for Gen VI as in the actual video games, that's pretty much killing my interest in competitive battling for Pokemon cause it feels like everyone is boycotting the actual games just to play on the simulators (and don't give me the Casual Story Mode excuse to go out and buy the actual games like before). That's like saying I'm too lazy to grind and breed my own teams (I'm not by the way) when I could find a shortcut to doing it on a simulator instead, there shouldn't even be shortcuts to battling with your friends in Pokemon but that's what happens when you have an aging demographic of gamers that has added more responsibility over free time in their lives.

Card Slinger J said:
Although I can't guarantee If the graphics will be as good on the Online Simulator for Gen VI as in the actual video games, that's pretty much killing my interest in competitive battling for Pokemon cause it feels like everyone is boycotting the actual games just to play on the simulators (and don't give me the Casual Story Mode excuse to go out and buy the actual games like before). That's like saying I'm too lazy to grind and breed my own teams (I'm not by the way) when I could find a shortcut to doing it on a simulator instead, there shouldn't even be shortcuts to battling with your friends in Pokemon but that's what happens when you have an aging demographic of gamers that has added more responsibility over free time in their lives.
The biggest pushes, IMO, for simulator battles was how poorly GameFreak designed the gen 5 Wifi battles and the sheer mass of new toys (hidden abilities) at the beginning of gen 5 that were at that point unreleased (like the still unreleased Shadow Tag Chandelure). Gen 4 wifi battles were OK due to the ability to level the playing field with an auto-level-100 battle without the species, item, etc. restrictions. Gen 5 was too rigid in comparison and thus emulators were the best solution for more serious battlers. If you didn't play the gen 5 retail games, using the 'new' gen 5 mons and moves (including the new effects of older moves) coupled with he new mechanics for sleep, etc. would make simulator play trickier to jump into. Simulator use is NOT killing the retail games, PERIOD. Simulator use does not equate to laziness in-game, as it is the primary way serious competitive battlers test teams they are planning to train in-game before wasting their time on something that probably won't work (when was the last time YOU perfected a team first try?). If you happen to be losing interest in the retail games because of simulators, that doesn't mean everyone else is too. That's like saying everyone thinks just like you, which is unreasonable, utterly false, and somewhat ignorant.

iSharingan said:
Card Slinger J said:
The biggest pushes, IMO, for simulator battles was how poorly GameFreak designed the gen 5 Wifi battles and the sheer mass of new toys (hidden abilities) at the beginning of gen 5 that were at that point unreleased (like the still unreleased Shadow Tag Chandelure). Gen 4 wifi battles were OK due to the ability to level the playing field with an auto-level-100 battle without the species, item, etc. restrictions. Gen 5 was too rigid in comparison and thus emulators were the best solution for more serious battlers. If you didn't play the gen 5 retail games, using the 'new' gen 5 mons and moves (including the new effects of older moves) coupled with he new mechanics for sleep, etc. would make simulator play trickier to jump into. Simulator use is NOT killing the retail games, PERIOD. Simulator use does not equate to laziness in-game, as it is the primary way serious competitive battlers test teams they are planning to train in-game before wasting their time on something that probably won't work (when was the last time YOU perfected a team first try?). If you happen to be losing interest in the retail games because of simulators, that doesn't mean everyone else is too. That's like saying everyone thinks just like you, which is unreasonable, utterly false, and somewhat ignorant.

Doesn't Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown have different clauses restricting some strategies otherwise viable on Wi-Fi? How can it be used as an effective testing tool? Or do those clauses not change the overall synergy of a team?

What I found unfulfilling was that you could acquire a top notch team in the matter of seconds with no training what so ever. It just felt off to me. Using it as a testing tool makes more sense though.

Terack said:
Doesn't Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown have different clauses restricting some strategies otherwise viable on Wi-Fi? How can it be used as an effective testing tool? Or do those clauses not change the overall synergy of a team?

What I found unfulfilling was that you could acquire a top notch team in the matter of seconds with no training what so ever. It just felt off to me. Using it as a testing tool makes more sense though.
Clauses are optional in PO, but they help keep play more balanced. Usage tiers are also enacted (but not mandatory to battle on-tier) to allow practically every pokemon to have a chance in some level of competitive play (for example, Dunsparce can't compete with Togekiss for Para-flinch in UU, but it's quite formidable if underestimated in NU. More blatantly obvious is how something like Seaking is drastically outclassed by Kyogre in every way).

In competitive play, the clauses come into effect to keep things balanced in other ways. For example, in most official tournaments, the sleep clause is enacted preventing a player from putting 2 foes to sleep at the same time (not including the foe's own use of Rest). This greatly balanced play as sleep's counter resets every time a sleeping mon is switched out, meaning sleep almost equates with a KO in gen 5 (aside fro Natural Cure mons). Drizzle+Swift Swim is seriously broken (even more so than permaweather in general, as some would argue is also over-centralizing, minus lolhail) so that is generally banned as well (Rain Dance+Swift Swim is not banned and as it is harder to pull off). I have found that all clauses thus far are justified in certain fields of play(especially the OHKO clause, banning Sheer Cold, etc. since they take skill out of a match. How would you like to lose just because a 30% accurate OHKO move hit 4 times in a row?) but not all need to always be there. the Item Clause is especially annoying since Leftovers and Life Orbs see so much use across the majority of pokemon. Stall teams generally can't function under the item clause, especially with the 'power creep' of gen 5, due to a heavy reliance on recovery from leftovers/black sludge for nearly every member.

Back