Pokemon Pokemon Company Courting Hollywood for Live Action Pokemon Movie!

I know I'm gonna end up screaming BETRAYAL if this film tanks if it gets made.

I think this is pretty cool. Yeah the likelihood of it being bad is pretty high, but who cares if it is? It won't ruin the games or anything, we'll just have a good laugh at it and move on from it like other bad movie adaptations. There's also the chance that it might turn out amazing, I mean a live-action sounds pretty rad, so I'm all for this.

I don't really care if the movie turned out to be as bad as DB evolution, but plz don't base it around the anime. PLEASE.

Would be awesome if it was about Looker and his misadventures though.

I'm terrified this will go the route of The Last Airbender. Taking something I like and hurling it into the trash.

I am a bit horrified. I'm getting a bad feeling in my gut.
This better be an amazing movie, and nothing like DBZ:Evolution or like The Last Airbender. It better be the most awesome film ever.
And I like Ash and all, but it would be nice to see a different character in the spotlight. I feel like a real person wouldn't be able to play him well.

It'll likely be trash. I love Cinema, I love Pokémon, but for very different reasons, and I can't really see how to make a good live action out of it. More than anything, Pokémon needs good animated movies and series. I'm curious about this film though, but fortunately I'm not interested enough to suffer when it'll come out terrible. I'm very interested in the director, a good one it's our only hope for something decent.

What exactly is the definition of a "live action movie"? I've thought about it, and if this is saying what I think it is then.... What? Oh gosh no.

This could so easily be terrible but there's hope if they do it right. It would be a shame if it was genwun only and Origins already ruined what little nostalgia I had for the GB days because it was literal trash (opinion, purely) but I'm not going to discount it, there is potential in it.

Mod Mode: (everyone should read this bit)
Please remember to actually make your posts articulate. I've gone on a deleting spree here because there were several posts only serving to clutter up the thread, such as this:
Real Deleted Post said:
You don't need to write a masterpiece, but your post needs to have a purpose which is easy for everyone to understand, and generally the more words you use to drive your point home, the more likely people are to relate.

Non-Mod Mode: (feel free to not read my weird ramblings ;))
This news is absolutely hilarious. I learned today that the two actors in the leading role in the infamous Mario Bros. movie were drunk during most of its production because they could tell how terrible the film really was. If that was Nintendo's last stab at a live action movie (and I believe it was) then we can only hope things improve a lot. The only way for this film to work that I can see is to take the focus off of Pokémon completely. I don't want to see Pokémon animated like Gremlins or whatever creature Dobby was in Harry Potter because I don't think it fits the franchise well, but based on my very limited knowledge of movies I don't know of another way to do it. Any movie buffs able to shed any light on how this could work better?

Gosh...I wish I could write this script.

Unfortunately, legendary is owned by the WB. Legendary is also a Chinese film owned company which are high on special effects. And though the WB has a better idea of how a live action Show should run in a comic built world, they constantly do not portray the Internal Conflicts very well of comic characters on big screens.

Instead, they by far shoot ton of special effects that gloss why characters are driven MAD by why they do. If Ash's internal conflict of why he needs, or has to be the best in the world, is glossed over with special effect pokemon and pokeballs, I don't see the reason in attempting the film.

Internal Conflict lacks in Big Chinese movies. However, in Japaneese Animations they extensively use it through narrative, which makes the watcher understand all to well the motives of the characters. It is harder in in live action films because narrative is shown through dialogue, which if not written correctly, can create a wooden film. Chinese films are notorious for creating wooden dialogue.

Like all great players, Kobe, Shaq, Wayn Gret. Shawn White, Michael Phillips, there is a huge internal motive that drives these kinds of athletes that goes far beyond of wanting to be the best. And when they are interviewed, it is up to reporter to dig that out of them. It's internal conflicts that really drive great players to real glory, the question is, is whats Ash's going to be?

So I take it Pokémon Apokélypse is finally getting green lit for a Hollywood adaptation after 5 years?

This one was the first thing that popped-up in my mind XD

The only thing that I really hope is that it will be good and not a live-action like Dragon Ball Evolution... (that was really horribile!)

Not to be pessimistic but there is roughly 99% chance this movie will be absolutely terrible. There are definitely games that can work as live action movies. Pokemon, however, is NOT among those games.

I'm sorry, but Pokemon have designs that I CANNOT see working in big-budget CGI. Just think about it. Most Pokemon designs work because of the world they're in. A live-action world just does not work with the type of creatures Pokemon are.

No, no, hear me out before saying anything. You only need to find the right angle! this is my pitch:

"A child, alone.

He's cursed, and he knows it now; since he was 10 years old, he has roamed the world.
That was 200 years ago. The oceans dried since then, the cities are now wastelands; the mountains deserts; everybody he's ever cared for and loved has died; his best friend and pet was the harshest of them all.

Haunted by the last breath of everyone he once knew, he gave up on happiness and friendship centuries ago, but he remains as dumb as a dumb 10-year old.

Now, he just walks the dystopian landscapes of Kanto, occasionally reminiscing about happier times whenever he passes by something he barely remembers, and tries to find a way to lift his curse and at last, grow old and die."

See? it would be like Memento meets Rashomon meets Pokemon; it would be an instant success with the people who went to see Batman V Superman: now batman murders too, and Star Wars: episode VII: episode IV again. We'd be rich!

Oh, and in end, he fails to lift his curse because he's so stupid, and continues living! instant twist ending and hook for a sequel.

Last edited:
See, if it was going to be full CGI it would work; they could just do a souped-up version of the Gen VI games' style. But live action basically means this is going to be handled how TMNT was handled, sooo...
And then there's the matter of story- or rather, the utter lack thereof. Like the animated movies, the only thing available for this is 'Ash and friends meet another legendary Pokemon' unless they are somehow both willing and able to pull off something complex for a kids' movie. Because, marketing ploy to bring back nostalgic 90's kids or not, it will still have to be accessible to children because this is a children's franchise.
Example: giving Team Rocket (and I mean the organization, not just the comic relief) the main antagonist role is a great idea, but good luck providing a sense of scale and urgency without creating a literal, age-inappropriate mafia.
...Actually, I take it back; this is turning into a strawman argument and Team Rocket as story catalyst and antagonist could easily be great. We already got inside Giovanni's head a bit in Origins, and while I'm sure his big-screen life story wouldn't be particularly deep or original, you could still get some cool stuff going. You could even get Mewtwo involved.
Another interesting option that's available, depending on when the writing and filming happen, is a Gen VII tie-in since it'll obviously be a few years until Gen VIII.

Hmm, this could either become an epic movie or a total disaster. I really hope it'll be good. I think I still would watch it anyway...!

I agree it shouldn't feature Ash (or any of his friends) or Team Rocket, but it would be cool if they made a (background) story about N, AZ or maybe even Looker...!? :rolleyes:
They would be worthy of a movie, wouldn't you say?

Back