Discussion Pokebeach, any good?

Heera

Aspiring Trainer
They seem to have pretty thorough deck articles but throrough doesn't always mean good. For someone with limited time to build and test decks, are their proposed decks normally pretty competitive?

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Well, I remember that @Rukan Shao made a Malamar box deck, dubbed it “Gaskan,” and sent it to Pokebeach. Next tournament, Gaskan was everywhere and had great success.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
I know for a fact the subscription service has nothing but great, consistent players writing the articles, but the free ones are pretty good as well. Both actually take the time to explain how the deck works so you're able to better pilot it, which is 100x better than netdecking and hoping for the best.

Besides the paid subscription gives you a bunch of cool stuff but I don't work for them so I'll stop advertising now.

Toni Kensa

Playing and Collecting
This is a good question, I’ll be willing to pay a subscription somewhere I could get references. I started following free PokeBeach articles since November and I’m satisfied at the same way curious of what to get the other side of the paywall.

Braiden1235

Aspiring Trainer
The Subscription is the best thing I have choosen to do I just got it last month but it has helped me learn so much.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
I edit some of the articles that get posted here. I came from a background of numerous other collectable games, so coming to competitive Pokemon in 2016 was a bit of a change. No other game had a market on premium articles. Pokemon has several.

At the time, Yugioh didn't have anything. Magic had one. Heroclix didn't have anything.

So it was something to keep in mind. And yeah, I had the same, "is it worth it?" "are the lists ACTUALLY good, or are they just half-hashed ideas and they KNOW the secret spice?" I had a bit more paranoia, but you get the picture.

If you have limited time to test, the metagame forecasts for events like Regionals are pretty accurate. I went to Dallas and followed the articles and forecasts closely and that helped give me an idea of what I should expect to see, what their builds would look like, and in what capacity throughout Day 1.

Are the deck good?

Short answer: yes

Long answer: they are good, but it REALLY helps if you also test them out to get comfortable and learn some of the ins-and-outs. Some of the decks that are pitched can have a high skill floor or a high skill ceiling. Whether you use it or go against it is up to you. But there is a great amount of detail of card choices, matchups, other options, etc. of any of the decks that are written about.

Also, the cherry on top is that PokeBeach is the only premium article site that holds a monthly tournament along with subscription

I hope this answers some questions. If I missed anything, let me know!

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Get a subscription and see if you like it. If not, take advantage of the money back guarantee ;).