XY Pokémon X / Y: Tips & Tricks!

Pineapple X

former local demigod
So as the name might tell - here you can share your tips and tricks for X & Y! You can also ask for help on hard situations, such as tips on beating a gym leader. Please don't ask questions like where to find a specific item or Pokémon - ask them in this thread instead.

I got one for those who are having trouble with beating Viola with Chespin only; just go for a Leech Seed and then start using Rollout. If you manage to make Viola waste her Potion on Surskit - even better! Vivillon will likely use one Harden, but if you are on your third Rollout, an OHKO is almost guaranteed.

Hope you enjoy this thread! :3

If you have a Pokemon with it, then using Baby-Doll Eyes on both Lysandre and Siebold's Gyaradoses (Gyaradi?) is very useful, considering the latter likes to set up with Dragon Dance.

Malimar's Topsy-Turvy is also very good on Siebold's Gyarados, since it really nerfs it.

Get the event Torchic. I have no idea why, but mine is really strong and levels quickly, therefore leveling my whole team. Get it and use it. I evolved to even before the third(?) gym.

I had a hard time finding it, but to activate streetpass touch the holo caster button under the PSS.
I got 4 streetpasses today from people playing XY, but didn't have it activated for the game >_<

Max out a Pokemon in amie. You can unlock special abilities for your Pokemon via amie including:
-Extra text in battle based or your relationship with your Pokemon
-Better critical chance
-Surviving attacks that would normally KO
-Self-recovering from negative status effects like Paralyze and Poison
-When an ability above is used in battle, a heart floats from the Pokemon toward you and a message detailing the effect is displayed about how your relationship with the Pokemon caused it to use the special ability

I have my Tyrantrum maxed out in all three amie stats and almost every hit is critical, he recovers from status problems within a few turns of getting them, and sometimes (But far more rarely) survives KO attacks (Mostly supper effective)
Amie makes your Pokemon seem more important and is useful over all. It's also cool to see your trainer and your Pokemon interact during battles such as petting the Pokemon for doing well and congratulating them for supper effective hits. The amie mini-game itself is actually kinda fun, too. Pokemon even takes a big step toward realism by making it so your Pokemon have a hinger meter that goes down quite often if you don't feed them that requires the Pokemon to be fed to fill up again, which I really feel makes amie more subversive. I kinda actually feel like my Tyrantrum isn't just a video game character and a real live Pokemon...weird, huh? :p

When using Super Training, get a Pokémon you don't mind having random EVs on and complete Lv1 and Lv2 training to unlock Lv3. This grants you 12 EVs per game and means you can EV train in one STAT in less than half and hour!

Also, it's only keep hold of large training bags as they add 12 EVs. Medium, however, can be useful for adding 4 to a STAT of your choice at the end of training. Small bags only add 1 EV and aren't worth keeping.

If you catch a Pokemon, such as Mewtwo or Zygarde, and didn't have a space in your party and are far from a PC, activate Wonder Trade. You can see the Pokemon in your PC, with its stats and nature available on full display.

Pokemon Amie boosts the experience you get from battle.

Also, this isn't really a tip to help you whilst playing the game but if you tap your Pokemon in the summary screen, it does all its cool animations during battle.

You can do all sorts of tricks with your Roller Blades!

- If you hold the B button right before you start going, you'll get a speed boost!
- While you have the speed boost, if you hop off a ledge, you can do a backflip!
- You can do a 360 if you rotate the Circle Pad really fast!

Trade the Bunnelby for the Farfetch'd in the own of the first gym. It's a very fast pokemon with an average attack that makes very short work I the bug pokemon. Alternately you could get the event torchic, and I personally use both to get the first badge.

Kaiser Dynamo said:
Max out a Pokemon in amie. You can unlock special abilities for your Pokemon via amie including:
-Better critical chance
-When an ability above is used in battle, a heart floats from the Pokemon toward you and a message detailing the effect is displayed about how your relationship with the Pokemon caused it to use the special ability

I have my Tyrantrum maxed out in all three amie stats and almost every hit is critical, he recovers from status problems within a few turns of getting them, and sometimes (But far more rarely) survives KO attacks (Mostly supper effective)
Amie makes your Pokemon seem more important and is useful over all. It's also cool to see your trainer and your Pokemon interact during battles such as petting the Pokemon for doing well and congratulating them for supper effective hits. The amie mini-game itself is actually kinda fun, too. Pokemon even takes a big step toward realism by making it so your Pokemon have a hinger meter that goes down quite often if you don't feed them that requires the Pokemon to be fed to fill up again, which I really feel makes amie more subversive. I kinda actually feel like my Tyrantrum isn't just a video game character and a real live Pokemon...weird, huh? :p

I have mixed feelings for these effects. I like that Poke Amie isnt just a dumb gimmick and is actually useful, but I dont know if I like that it makes the Pokemon too powerful. Critical Hits are huge. Imagine a Drapion with Sniper ability, holding Scope Lens and using Night Slash :O

Kaiser Dynamo said:
-Better critical chance

I hear you only need two hearts for the experience boost. Can any confirm or deny this?

RawrDinosaur said:
Kaiser Dynamo said:
-Better critical chance

I hear you only need two hearts for the experience boost. Can any confirm or deny this?

My Talonflame, Greninja and Sylveon got boosted exp with 2 hearts.
A point to note is that the exp doesn't increase with the hearts (I don't think there was any doubt about this, but this is here just in case someone thinks it will have an impact)

edit: Another thing is that I've heard a lot that Eevee needs to be maxed out in Amie to evolve into Sylveon. This is not true.
It needs 2 hearts, and (supposedly) a Fairy type move - this is easy enough since wild Eevees come ready-equipped with Baby-Doll Eyes.

P.DelSlayer said:
Another thing is that I've heard a lot that Eevee needs to be maxed out in Amie to evolve into Sylveon. This is not true.
It needs 2 hearts, and (supposedly) a Fairy type move - this is easy enough since wild Eevees come ready-equipped with Baby-Doll Eyes.

Some details:

Yes, you do need a Fairy-type move, but the wild Eevees you can find on Route 10 will only have Baby-Doll Eyes if they're level 19. Eevee learns Refresh at L20 and that overrides Baby-Doll Eyes on a wild Pokémon, so if you catch a L20 Eevee, you'll have to wait until it learns Charm at 29, or use a Fairy-type TM, I suppose.

Pokemon X Y Easy Level Up to 100 Trick

Not sure how many people have noticed you can do this yet, but here it is just in case. I made a tutorial video explaining/showing how to do it:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_CPAHWS1wc[/video]

The process is simple. Outside of the 5th gym you can walk infinitely in a circle. So that said here is what to do:

1) Leave 2 Pokemon you want to level up at the daycare
2) Fly to the center of Luminoise City and go to the Gym area.
3) Get on your bike and line yourself up so that you wont bump onto any NPC on the streets.
4) Get something to hold your button down for you. I use vice grips, but if anyone tries using that tool as well, be really careful with them as your 3DS system is very delicate.

Since your Pokemon get 1 exp for each step, you can leave your Super/EV trained monsters idling with this cheat, and the game will finish leveling them up for you while you are asleep, at work, school etc.

If you want to find an Aegislash, you can do it the easy way or the hard way

Easy Way- Once you beat the elite four, talk to a Flare Grunt in the fairy type gym town (what's the name again?), and he will give it to you. This might be possible as soon as you beat Lysandre for the third time (unconfirmed)

Hard Way- Somewhere in Terminus Cave there is a Dusk Stone.

Also, you should catch a Honedge at route 6. He is useful against multiple gyms (Fairy, Ice, etc.) and is good against Dianthia's Gardevoir. Honedge is good post game because he can also learn false swipe if you are interested in catching weaker pokemon that you didn't get early on (or the friend safari)

Something of note, that I wish I'd known sooner:

When your Pokemon attack the Default Punching Bag in Core Training (which it does once per minute no matter what, even if you're playing the game), your Pokemon has a chance of finding a "Reset" Bag, which resets ALL of a Pokemons EVs if you use it to punch.

Making it a lot easier and more effective than Stat-Reducing Berries (Granted they allow more control, if you've already trained it in another and just need to fine tune it), but if you just finished a game run and want to train your Pokes, but your whole team has haphazard EVs from fighting all those random Pokemon and Trainers, then the Reset Bag is the way to go!

I seriously wish I knew this, because instead of playing the game, I rushed to Super Train my Torchic, because I didn't want to have it get any useless EVs since it was an Event Pokemon, and I didn't want to have to farm the Berries (or knew that we even got them for sure)... >_<

After super training and getting all of the EVs on, I found a way to level up really fast and easy. I didn't know about this topic earlier, otherwise I would have posted it here without making a thread about it.

But you can see how here if anyone is interested: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-pokemon-x-y-easy-level-up-to-100-cheat

And thanks for the super training tip mastermagpie, I for one didn't know about that and find it very helpful. :)

RE: Pokemon X Y Easy Level Up to 100 Cheat

Not really a cheat, people did this back in the Hoenn games with the mudslides and the acro bike.

RE: Pokemon X Y Easy Level Up to 100 Cheat

True, but Ive seen people even then call it a cheat. I can change the topic to trick since its still pretty cheap and easy.

Back