Pokemon Pokémon Sunday

Ophie

Aspiring Trainer
Has anybody ever heard of this show? It's a program shown on Sunday mornings in Japan. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Pokémon anime, but rather, deals exclusively with the games (mostly video but occasionally card) and movies. Event Pokémon are often given out through this show, most notably Tropius in a Cherish Balls.

One characteristic of the show is that each episode brings in a child guest who will compete with the hosts, and if he or she wins, he or she gets one of the Pokémon the host used. One kid almost got a Darkrai in this fashion, so they're worth something. The hosts are pretty good battlers too. Many of the kids are Uber users, but these hosts are experienced trainers and win many of their matches anyway. Syokotan is the toughest, having rarely lost despite always leading with Octillery, his signature Pokémon. (That's because Octillery's Japanese name is Okutan.) They used D/P up until the Japanese release of PBR; they've used PBR after that.

My favorite episode, and one certainly worth mentioning, is one where they grab some guy off the street and put him through a Pokémon study regimen for a week: During this time, he lives in a small apartment room with Pokémon posters plastered all over the walls, Pokémon plushes piled up everywhere, a bed with Pokémon pillows and blankets, and a Pikachu TV. Each day, he would have to study Pokémon, their names, types, base stats, and moves, and he would be pop-quizzed several times every day. He managed to keep himself from going insane and was the chosen "host" for the child guest that episode. Apparently, his studying paid off in the fight: He began the episode not recognizing any Pokémon but Pikachu, but by the time this fight came around, he knocked out the girl's Palkia in one hit--using a Bibarel. What he did was create a Baton Pass chain beginning with Ninjask and ending in Bibarel, who has the Simple Ability. Not too shabby for a guy with one week's amount of study and no battling experience.

Wow, that sounds really cool! Great opportunity for kids, and just cool to watch!

That episode sounds interesting, funny too.

I assumed the show ended shortly after they were done with introducing the side-episodes which became the Chronicles series in English. I didn't know it continued on focusing on the games, but everything I know about that show probably came from a paragraph I read on Dogasu's Backpack. Heh.

Something like this here would e awesome! But it would be a lot harder to get kids from around the nation, unless they did a road show or a seperate show for every state.

~DogMaster40

Darn, why don't we ever get anything like this on American TV, anyway?

Sounds like an awesome show. :D

Wow that sounds like a cool show. I hope we get a show like this one here in the U.S.A.:)

I've seen most of the episodes also, there fun to watch.

I want to go to Japan one of these days & vs. one of the japanese players to see how well I can do.

does anyone know who exactly uploads these videos these days on youtube?

A youtube user by the name of sook kept putting them up, but he's stopped uploading for quite some time.

sook772 was banned from YouTube, though I'm not sure why. That's whom I've been watching them from. He's back, though, as sook773, but he doens't upload so much anymore.

Anyway, here's the episode from April 27th, 2008, the most recent one I could find. There are no English subtitles, but it should be easy enough to understand. This one is a rather straightforward episode; there are simply a bunch of battles, nothing special. You do get to see the guy in the Lucairo suit in the back, however. I wish that Lucario would do something.

I've been watching PBR videos in Japanese since it was released there, though it may be hard to figure out what's going on if you're not familiar with it. I'll detail what happens in the matches.

Battle 1
[utube]WIUSrGWI0-8[/utube]
The green-haired guy begins with Flygon, and the boy begins with Charizard.
By the way, that swirly green thing Flygon did was U-Turn, if you're wondering.

Battle 2
[utube]r6xRDnC1DTo[/utube]
I think everything here is self-explanatory. The move you see Metagross doing was Superpower, and Sceptile kept using Leaf Storm against Dusknoir.

Battle 3
[utube]xMWSAcAMbNQ[/utube]
For some reason, Double Battles are still done on D/P. I don't know if PBR has such a feature, since I mainly use it to play online.

Battle 4
[utube]Iv7_2p151-s[/utube]

sook773 has stopped putting these things up, for the most part. I think he got in trouble for doing so, and now he just posts bunches of random stuff, like inescapable Stage Builder stages in SSBB. Pokémon Sunday is now put up by various random people; most don't ever post more than one or two episodes, unfortunately. I have "ポケモンサンデー" (pokemonsandee) subscribed on my YouTube account in case someone else uploads one.

Back