PokéBeach Create-A-Card: May 2014 - Stage 2 (Congrats Scorched, rev3rsor, & Zygarde)

Oh, for Christ's sake, give that a rest... XD [smod]Ice Arceus[/smod] told me I can't say the theme, but just to stop hear(see...? Whatever) you whining(and I won't be breaking any rules, technically :p ), I will say that June's CaC is NOT EX-Themed.

I'm not against an EX theme in theory, I just dunno if I'd be able to participate, since I don't know if I'd be able to do proper artwork for an EX card. I guess that's a bridge I'll cross when I come to it.

Keeper of Night said:
Scorched Feathers said:
More like overly-shiny cards that aren't as creative eAe
And why is an EX by default less creative?

Because they often are the sole leader's of most Tier 1 decks, resulting in them being more Power-oriented, rather than being unique, like most stage 2 Pokemon. Here's an example:

40-ampharos.jpg

My problem with ex's and friends are that they were so obviously created to entice young kids. They are "special" by design, which sort of negates the need for the concepts and effects to be unique or special. The reason I prefer making pre-ex Dragon cards (even though my favourite metagames are post ex-Hidden Legends, but I think the Trainers played a big role in this) is because the cards back then primarily focussed on being creative within the boundaries of regular cards. By adding severe counter-balancing mechanics like double prizes you essentially allow for a lot more otherwise game-breaking mechanics. It is far more interesting and challenging to me to work within a certain set of restrictions than to be given near absolute freedom. Given enough resources, anyone can build the Burj Khalifa, but few could build it using only LEGO bricks.

PokéBeach Create-A-Card Results General Draft

Text Based:

Creativity/Originality: /20pts

Wording: /15pts

Believability/Playability: /15pts

Total Score: /50pts

3rd Place:
2nd Place:
1st Place:

Image Based:

So positions are:

3rd Place: