Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: July 2017 - Johto PokéDex - Results Are Up!

shiny_xatu_dream_world_art_by_trainerparshen-d6iedlv.png

Behold my entry: the Mystic Pokemon Xatu

Xatu has to be my favourite Pokemon from gen 2, besides Lugia, and I thought to do it justice, with an interesting take on a proverb:

Xatu - Psychic/Colorless - HP 90
Stage 1 - Evolves from Natu

Ability:
Birds of a Feather
The attacks of each of your Pokémon (excluding this Pokémon) that shares a type with this Pokémon do 20 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

[C][C] Flock Together 20x
This attack does 20 times the number of your Benched Pokémon that shares a type with this Pokémon.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: [C]

Pokédex Information:
Once it begins to meditate at sunrise, the entire day will pass before it will move again.
Wanted to do a bird Pokemon. I chose Xatu, in honour of my first competitive Smogon OU team (Used an offensive Xatu. It was fun times). I often brainstorm ideas when I walk to the bus stop, and got the genius idea to use the old proverb: “Birds of a feather flock together” for Xatu. It fitted Xatu’s mystic aesthetics, as well as being a bird. By splitting it in to 2 sections, I got “Birds of a Feather” and “Flock Together” to use for the names of attacks/abilities. Flock Together would be an attack, and sounds like it should be similar to Raichu GEN’s Circle Circuit, whilst Birds of a Feather would become an ability, that affected ally Pokemon sharing a type. Effects that revolve around sharing types is extremely rare. Only Beheeyem NVI came close with Synchronoise, which Xatu can learn in game. This, with the theme of the proverb, makes perfect sense for the card.
After deciding attacks, and their effects, making Xatu a Psychic type would be obvious, as it would show Psychic like attributes. However, I felt it should be allowed to be called via Winona, a Flying type leader, so it could be a Colorless type. With it in recent times, dual type Pokemon have shown up in STS, and a single Golurk, but we don’t talk about it. Therefore, I selected to use the Psychic/Colorless dual typing as seen during Steam Siege to strike a middle ground. An option to look at Delta era was on the table, but I chose to stay away, as the ideas on power levels were closer to current day numbers, and not Gen 3 numbers.

90HP keeps it in line with the recent Xatu cards and with the HP of Raichu and Vespiquen AOR, which are cards with similar power levels thanks to attacks that rely on getting win cons by the user, not the opponent. W/R is standard for flying types, and old Xatu cards have had this as well.
The name inspired a kind of ability that strengthens ally Pokemon that share typings, which is where the proverb is aiming for. The Psychic and Colorless only means that its very specific in which Pokemon it powers, however, will work in tandem with AOR Eeveelutions. However, it could be seen as overpowered, but looking at Dhelmise and Machamp, its fine. The wording was a little iffy. I originally chose to use the text from Machamp, but it didn’t make sense with adding the shared typing in. Instead, I altered it so it would make sense.

And, for if it would be really a thing Xatu would be printed with, look no further than Delta Xatu from EX Dragon Frontiers, which boosts Stage 2s attacks by 10, with very similar wording.
It sounds too much like a move that requires a larger bench space, and thus is a near copy of Circle Circuit, but nerfed slightly to compensate for Birds of a Feather, by letting only Pokemon that share a type allow to be used by Xatu’s attack. It hits 100 on a full bench of Pokemon sharing a type, and 160 in Sky Field. With 3 other Xatu, this reaches 160/220 respectively, and Choice Band sends to 190/250. These seem like acceptable numbers, since it is at risk of ability lock and Bench restriction, like Parallel City and Sudowoodo GUR. DCE for the energy requirements means it’s able to drop carefully into most Psychic/Colorless decks for the power up, but could be strong. However, it does stray from the long-trodden tradition of Xatu having 1 non colorless energy in its 2/3 cost attacks, but I felt that, with its Colorless type, it can be accepted, since most dual types were predominantly one type in theme, and the second slapped on for good measure, or to allow unique situations, like use of FOGP or different search cards, which allowed Colorless to be the dominant type, for energy requirement and W/R, with Psychic for flavour.
  • Machamp FFI
  • Dhelmise GUR
  • Raichu GEN
  • Beheeyem NVI (You would have thought there would be something more recent, but no ;-; )
  • Delta Xatu from EX Dragon Frontiers

EDIT: -2 points cause I edited.

Last edited:
ED1khOh.png

Life going rapidly down hill and have a tiny bit of time? Make a card! Who even needs homework |D

My Entry:
[
Ursaring GX HP 200

Stage 1: evolved from Teddiursa

Honey Gather:

Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your deck for a special energy card and attach it to your Pokémon in any way you like. (shuffle your deck afterwards)

[C][C] Special Slash 30x

This attack does 30 times the number of special energy attached to all of your Pokémon

[C][C] Solo Swipe GX 230-

This attack does 230 damage minus 20 for each of your benched Pokémon

Pokedex Entry: In the forests inhabited by Ursaring, it is said that there are many streams and towering trees where they gather food. This Pokémon walks through its forest gathering food every day.

Retreat: [C][C]

Weakness [F]x2

Resistance: None ]

[Vikavolt SUM
Xerneas BREAK
M Heracross
Raichu XY]

[I made this Pokemon as a support for one of my favorite archetypes energy trans.
The ability accelerates special energy which was one of the major problems from energy trans (no acceleration)
The attack is supposed to be a nice consistent source of damage for the energy trans deck (most are reactive attackers)
The GX was supposed to be a last resort type attack to close out games or to use at the beginning ]
Edit: -2 Points

Last edited:
Link for my entry.
jumpluff_gx_by_dashking1313-dbf75t4.png
My first ever image card, what do you guys think.
References:
Greninja BPT
Darkrai EX BPT
Lycanrock GX PROMO

For future reference @King1313, you should embed your image when submitting to CaC. Just hit the button that looks like a mountain in a canvas next to the smiley button in the post box, then copy/paste the direct link to the image (the link should end in something like .png if you got the right link.)

I edited it for you since it's your first time here, but keep it in mind. ;)

Here's my entry!

[BASIC] Houndoom GX HP200 [R]

[ABILITY] Eerie Howls
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a card from your hand. If you do, discard a random card from your opponent’s hand.

[R][R] Past Enemies 20+
This attack does 20 more damage for each Supporter card in your opponent's discard pile.

[R][R] Everlasting Burn GX 150
Your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Burned. Your opponent flips 2 coins instead of 1 between turns. If either of them is tails, that Pokémon is still Burned.

Weakness: [W] x2
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C]
(Ur)
[When 1 of your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.]

References: Krokorok SUM, Darkrai PRXY114, Chandelure STS, Garbodor GRI

Edited: Taking -2 Points

Last edited:
Corsola / Basic / HP: 80 / Fighting

corsola.gif

[ NO. 222 | Coral Pokémon | HT 2'oo" | WT 11.0 lbs ]

[Ability] Branch Regrow
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may return a Basic Energy from this Pokémon to your hand. If you do, heal 40 damage from this Pokémon.

[F][F] Coral Breaker [10+]
You may put as many damage counters on each of your Corsola you have in play as you like. This attack does 10 more damage for each damage counter you put on each of your Corsola in this way.

Weakness: [G] x2
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]
[These beautiful Pokémon are not able to live in polluted waters. Another reason why many waters should be cleaned.]

Yeah, I know that this Pokémon can do an insane amount of damage under the right circumstances. It can do a total of 290 damage without any boosts from tool cards or other effects. But they're very easy to knock out afterwards. Flying Flip Tapu Koko can knock out those damaged Corsola's very easily for instance.

Well that's the end of the appreciation for Corsola. Back into the trash you go.~

How do you guys do the "spoiler" thing? I have my card text saved as draft on my phone, lol.
Is the "spoiler" tab required?

@taschen88 You can either select the Spoiler option under the Insert button when typing out a comment (that is the one that looks kinda like a paragraph next to the Save Button)
Otherwise you can use the [-spoiler] [/spoiler] code (just remove the -)

However, it is not a necessity of the CaC Competition ^w^

My entry: The one and only Mullet Pokemon (Pre-mega)
Ampharos GX - [L] - HP 240
Stage 2 - Evolves from Flaaffy

Ability: Static
If the Defending Pokemon tries to attack during your opponent’s next turn, your opponent flips a coin. If tails, that attack does nothing

[L][L][C][C] Thunder Frenzy 140
You may discard all [L] energy attached to this pokemon. If you do, this attack does 70 damage to each of your opponent’s benched pokemon.

[L][L][C] Discharge GX
This attack does 40 damage to each of your opponent’s pokemon. If the damage from this attack reduces any of your opponent’s pokemon to 80 HP or less, that pokemon is knocked out. (You cannot use more than 1 GX attack per game.)

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Metal (-20)
Retreat: [C][C]

References:
Static:
Malamar: XY 77/146
Discharge GX:
Samurott: STS 32/114

Edited. Taking -2

Last edited:
OK here's my entry for text-based :)

Kingdra - Dragon type - 140HP
stage 2 - Evolves from Seadra
[ NO. 230 | Dragon Pokémon | HT: 5'11" | WT: 335.1 lbs ]
latest

Ability: King's Order
The attacks and Abilities of your [N] Pokémon can't be affected by attacks or Abilities of your opponent's Pokémon.

[C] Resolute Beam
This attack does 60 damage to 1 of your opponent's Pokémon-EX or Pokémon-GX.
(Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

[W][L] Dragonstream 40x
Move all Basic W or L from this Pokémon to 1 of your Benched Pokémon.
This attack does 40 damage times the amount of Energy moved in this way.

Weakness - [Y]
Resistance - [ ]
Retreat Cost - [C]

Girafarig HP 90 Colorless
Basic Pokémon

/Ability/ - Tail Reaction
Whenever your opponent would put a Basic Pokémon from their hand onto their bench, put 2 damage counters on that Pokémon. You can only use 1 Tail Reaction Ability during your opponent's turn.

[C][C] Palindromal Power
You may either choose to put 2 damage counters on each of your opponent's Pokémon that already have damage counters on them or you may deal 50 damage to the Defending Pokémon.

Its tail has a small brain of its own. Beware! If you get close, it may react to your scent by biting.

Weakness: Fighting x2
Resistance: None
Retreat: 1

Edited. Taking -2

Back