Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: July 2017 - Johto PokéDex - Results Are Up!

Yog

Rogue
We already have a Scizor-EX awks. Welp, I am doing Scizor anyways :p

rdkvIMP.png

I am ever-so-slowly making myself a fake expansion based around Grass & Fairy cards, in a FoGP environment (i.e. current era). So the set will have to include a smattering of Steel types to keep all those Fairys in check. And what better way than a Stage 1 that can also take advantage of early evolution via a bug-type [G] Scyther?

Because you can get this card out on T1 I wanted to pitch the first attack as something with a gettable cost - for a single DCE you can start swinging immediately. It's a deliberate throwback to BCR Scizor, just with GX included now too. No power creep on the damage - 40 damage is a reasonable amount - and we have better boosts now with Tools and Supporters (plus FoGP ofc). The real reason to look to build a deck with this card in is the utility of this early attack. Steel has long been pitched as the type that is supposed to be able to withstand the most punishment, but as of late there's been a distinct lack of T1 walls in the vein of Aegislash-EX. We have big slow powerful Stage 2s like Solgaleo & Metagross but only STS Coballion to set up behind? That's potentially where Scizor comes in. Or maybe you like the same tactic but you want to build a Vespiquen variant and double-dip the FoGP and DCE. Stall with Scizor while you fill the discard. Or stall while you find your Vileplume pieces etc.

For the second attack it mostly stems from my want for an excuse Alolan Dugtrio to be relevant. Sure a sliding scale of 20<50<80<110 etc could be great versus some decks, but set up a few Dugtrio on the bench and maybe a Team Aqua Base in the Stadium slot and all of a sudden you have a powerful (yet not OP due to the difficulty in assembling all those pieces) deck skeleton. Highly doubtful this could be a stand-alone archetype, seeing as a single Float Stone or Fairy Garden foils all your plans.

What I was going for most here was a useful card, that *could* be great in a lot of situations. Yet as it is set to be part of a bigger set I didn't want it to be anything crazy-awesome - not every card can be star of the show. But who wants to design cards that are pure filler either? There should be potential here, but not too much. Hopefully the attacks cost & power, and all the HP, Retreat, weaknesses etc. reflect that and are pitched at a reasonable level.

The illustration is used with kind permission from Jarv69 on deviantArt. Looks like it's a redraw of this old Scizor card but it's sharper, neater, and the colours suit a Steel layout so much better than a Bug one.

The card itself is once again my own, hopefully with the bugs(!) of last month's Venipede ironed out. Pretty happy with how the foil effect turned out though it seems a big lacking compared to the pizazz of the [G] one. New bits added for the additional Stage 1 parts.

Once again, I've used @aschefield101 's symbols and eternal spring of knowledge of fonts to try get it all correct. Thanks as ever.

I went with this particular dex entry because I figured it worked well with the counterweight attack. And the name of Counterweight seemed to suit an attack based on retreat costs.

Edwin Santander

Aspiring Trainer
hey!! looking for the ''CAC Promo Star'' symbol, because photobucket seems to be now paid, and i really looking for that symbol, hope you can help me.

Edit: Use imgur, for me is a really nice hosting service :)

Yog

Rogue
hey!! looking for the ''CAC Promo Star'' symbol, because photobucket seems to be now paid, and i really looking for that symbol, hope you can help me.

Edit: Use imgur, for me is a really nice hosting service :)

I have this one saved off, I don't know if the size is right for you but it's the only one I have a soft copy of:
kVQMj7A.png

Edwin Santander

Aspiring Trainer
here i come in collab with @Jadethepokemontrainer !! submiting our entry and hoping that it is good enough!

sudowoodo_gx_ra__animated__by_edwinsantander59-dbgeckc.gif

Very happy with the card in general,thanks to jade for understanding me with my really really bad english xD

Hope you like it :)

Edited -2 :)

Last edited:

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Togetic Fairy HP: 100
Stage 1- Evolves from Togepi
togetic.gif

Ability: Follow Me
Whenever your opponent plays a card that targets, or uses an attack that targets, you can shift the effect of that card or attack onto this Pokemon. (Togetic must have the corresponding card(s) to resolve any card effect.)

[F] Friendship Gift
Heal 20 damage from each of your Pokemon that have any damage counters on them

[F] [F] [C] Toge-tastic! 30x
This attack does 30 damage times the number of Togepi, Togetic, Togekiss/Togekiss EX on your bench

Weakness - M x2
Resistance - D -20
Retreat Cost - [C]
"Togetic is said to be a Pokémon that brings good fortune. When the Pokémon spots someone who is pure of heart, it is said to appear and share its happiness with that person."

SneaselGenesis

Aspiring Trainer
Brock's Sudowoodo - 60 HP - Fighting
Basic Pokémon

Spr_3e_185.png

Imitation Pokémon. Length: 3'11", Weight: 84 lbs.

Pokémon Power: Treeplacement
As long as Brock's Sudowoodo is Benched, if your Active Pokémon would be damaged by an attack, switch Brock's Sudowoodo with your Active Pokémon and do that damage to Brock's Sudowoodo instead. You can't use more than 1 Treeplacement Pokémon Power each turn.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

[F] Flail 10x
Does 10 damages times the number of damage counters on Brock's Sudowoodo.

Weakness - [W]
Resistance - N/A
Retreat Cost - [C][C][C]
Although it always pretends to be a tree, its composition appears to be closer to a rock than a plant. LV. 27 #185

This card is designed for the Neo-series era.

The idea behind this Sudowoodo is the Ninja Log trope of when someone goes to attack someone, but that person dissappears and leaves a log behind. :)

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Can I do Magmortar? Since it evolves from Magmar which evolves from Magby, wouldn't that be allowed? If so, then I'm in for image based.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Could I still register for text-based? If so, I'll be doing an old Generaton III-style ex card for my entry.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
My entry(As stated in my entry post, it'll be a generation III(EX era, whatever you want to call it) ex card.)

Celebi ex 70HP [P]
Basic

(When a Pokemon-ex has been knocked out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards)

[Poké-POWER]: Double-Time
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may flip a coin. If heads, your Active Pokémon may attack twice during this turn. (You still need the necessary energy to use each attack.) The second attack you choose does half the damage it would deal normally, rounded down (after applying weakness and resistance).

[Poké-POWER]: Rewind
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard an energy from one of your Pokémon. If you do, devolve one of your opponent's benched Pokémon and put the highest stage evolution card on it into his or her hand.

[P] Memories Reborn 10+
Does 10 damage plus 10 damage for each evolved Pokémon you have in play.

Weakness-[P]
Resistance-N/A
Retreat Cost-[C]

"Development" notes
With this card I wanted to go for a time motif, as the Pokemon in question is Celebi, who is known for it's abilities to manipulate time. I put two Poke-Powers on it since I wanted it to be more unique than just one Power/Body/Ability and one attack. I've noticed that cards have had more than one of each of these, or two Bodies as seen by Arceus Lv. X, so it's not completely out of the realm of possibility. The powers, in concept, especially for the era would be quite powerful if just used without a drawback. I noticed that if you used Double-Time with a card like Mewtwo ex you would potentially be dealing 120 damage per turn, or even 160 per turn with Swampert ex. It would have become a game-winning card if it didn't have the drawback of half the damage. For Rewind I was heavily debating either a coin flip or an energy discard. There, to this date is still no ability, Poke-Power or otherwise that lets you devolve a Pokemon. It's only ever been in attack form. So, I decided to require an energy discard so it would either only be used when you have enough energy on the field. That and, I also didn't want to be redundant with two Powers requiring coin flips. For the attack, you'd obviously not use Celebi as your attacker, since it's only got 70 HP, but I still wanted the attack to be relatively interesting instead of some boring 1-for-10 attack. The name also sort of fits with in the lore of Celebi, as I believe in Pokemon Colosseum it was able to bring back the memories of Shadow Pokemon and purify them or something like that.

I half-feel like I overdesigned this card and on the other side I really do like the idea of it. I had to think long and hard on how to make it a LOT more balanced and I think I succeeded in some form. I didn't want it to be useless, I wanted it to have a good use and versatility. The wording I think I definitely messed up in a few areas but I did the best I could to emulate how it was in the era.

My choice of doing a generation 3 ex card actually probably hurt this card in a way, as the abilities may be a little powerful still for the generation. I didn't want to do a GX card since I really didn't want to waste a whole attack slot on a GX attack, but I could have easily made this an EX card. I guess I was just feeling nostalgic? I really do like the aesthetic of older cards anyways.

That's really about all I have to say about it, I hope you all like it! It's been fun doing a fake again after about two years(Thankfully those two years made me a little better at formatting these things, I don't want to look back at those days before now.)

Edited.(Had to fix the spoiler tags) Taking -2

Nyan

She/They
Suicune_CaC.png

I entered this month and my first thought was "Scizor-EX". Turns out I was too late, many people had already picked Scizor, and I don't like to bandwagon! I decided I wanted to do something incredibly unique, and something I have never tried before. So, I picked my next best choice, the one and only Suicune, and started to contemplate what I was going to do with it. I started going through one of my friends old binders when I found his Call of Legends Suicune card, and decided I wanted to do something like that. I started messing around with brushes in Photoshop and made some weird splatter effects. I put them all over this art of Suicune and gave it a pattern overlay, to make it look like an old painting, which worked so well. It gave Suicune this dark, ominous feeling to it, which I really dig! This has been one of my favorite cards to make. Credits to Blui for the blank, and to resuka on Tumblr for the original Suicune artwork (which was heavily modified)

First attempt at a HGSS card, and it came out great!

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Whoo, all right. Been working like mad the last twenty days, and I reckon I've finally got something I'm satisfied with. My thought process for this month went sort of like this––
> Ohhey, I'm not judging anymore! Hmm, gotta start off my days as a contestant again with a bang. What's the most obnoxiously shiny thing I can possibly do for this theme?
> *thinks*
> *scrolls through a list of Johtomons*
> *remembers a certain old card from November '13*
> I'VE GOT IT!!! :D
> *runs to ask Nod3 for permission to use the idea*

So, for y'all who weren't around to witness @Nod3's exceptional entry for that month of the CaC, the thread is well worth a read. Seriously go check it out; my entry for this month won't make any sense if you don't see the precursor for yourself. It's the stuff of legend at this point. :p

YTXTSM6.png

One of the early issues I ran into in terms of design was making a logistically sound card––like, one that doesn't break any of the standard rules of Pokémon. The main challenge for this was not breaking the card limit rule, as Shining Pokémon and Pokémon-* have the "You can't have more than one of this Pokémon in your deck" clause––which doesn't work when I'm also trying to make a LEGEND, because a LEGEND by definition must have multiple of the same named card in a deck.

Thus, I ended up cutting a lot of "mechanics" that I wanted to use. Shining Pokémon, Pokémon-*, LV.X, Prime, SP, and BREAK all didn't make the cut for one reason or another. What we're left with is a Hyper Rare M Steelix-EX ex GX LEGEND. Still quite the mouthful. Now, the art ties in as much of it as I could possibly tie in––there are elements of GXs in that it's a Hyper Rare, and Megas in the text and little spiky whooshes. The text isn't warped and bent like LEGEND cards normally have it, mainly because I don't like the way it looks. :x

The spoiler didn't take me as long to make as I initially expected––just one of the twenty days! :D I started with the Ability, which is sort of based on the idea that if you pressurize coal long enough it turns to diamond. I think this is actually part of the inspiration behind the evolution from Onix to Steelix, and diamonds are mentioned in most of Steelix's 'dex entries. So, uh, yeah.

I came up with the GX attack next, trying to design something as overpowered as I possibly could and then nerf it in as many ways as I could possibly imagine. In this instance, it used to be just do 20 times the number of Energy attached to Steelix to all of your opponent's Pokémon. Which is ... good. I reconsidered the "all Pokémon" thing when I remembered Vikavolt-GX, which doesn't hit the Active and is probably the best way to balance an attack like that––you can't win the game instantly because the Active remains, but you can take a ton of Prizes if you play your cards right. Then I decided, hey, we'll discard the Energy too, because tbh it's probably still a bit too good if you don't discard 'em. Steelix likes its Energy, it does.

Seismic Shift was designed before Crystalline Wall. It's just a primary damaging attack, with the added benefit of cycling Energy around and healing. It only does 100, which is relatively small considering all the other stuff it can do. (It used to be 80; I upped it with the thought that a card like this should be able to do at least 100 before modifiers.) I'll explain the weird Energy requirements in a paragraph below.

For Crystalline Wall, there's a specific thing it's designed to prevent. With 300 HP and no Weakness, Steelix is likely gonna be a pain to Knock Out under normal circumstances––however, giving up six Prizes, it's very susceptible to "cheap Knock Outs". Like Raticate BREAK's Super Fang paired with Hypnotoxic Laser, for example. So as the Steelix player, you can opt to, instead of doing more damage, take a defensive route. I realize that there are ways even Crystalline Wall's protection can be bypassed––as a friend of mine is fond of saying, every rule in Pokémon is made to be broken––through Ranger, Escape Rope + Lysandre, etc., but hey. It's the sort of attack that can also win games if your opponent isn't prepared for it. :x

So, the Energy requirements. One attack is more geared toward the Steel aspect of Steelix, referencing shininess and defensiveness and so on. Crystalline Wall therefore requires a [M] Energy to use. The other attack mirrors the Ground half, with earthquakes and tectonics and so on. Thus, a [F] Energy in the cost of Seismic Shifting. I chose [L] and [W] to round out the costs because they've been used frequently on Shining Pokémon––lightning and water, each in their own way, have a shine to them. Lightning is more closely linked to Metal, with electricity and metal both being largely used in man-made constructs (though they're both natural, but we tend to associate them more with artificiality), while Water is more closely linked to Fighting (or Ground), as water and ground are more ... natural. Sort of. Idk if that makes any sense, but it worked in my head. :U As a cool side note, they're the four types that make up one of the two Blend Energy from Dragons Exalted. Synergy! :D

Other notes:
  • Wording: I'm pretty confident for the most part on this. The only thing I might see coming up is Diamond Rush's effect being do the damage, and then discard the Energy, whereas it would usually be the other way around in wording iirc. This is intentional––this way, it counts the Energy attached, not the Energy cards discarded (so DCE counts twice).
  • Typing: At one stage in development, it was [M]-type. Then I decided no, it should be dual [M][F]-type. Then I decided no, it should be every type! ... That idea was scrapped quickly, haha. Anyway, I ended up making it Colorless mainly because I don't want it to be able to hit for Weakness––but it's also a little nod to Crystal Pokémon. I didn't have room for the actual Crystal Type Ability, unfortunately, so that's all I got.
  • W/R: Likewise, at one point the card had Weakness and Resistance––the same as Steelix ex from Unseen Forces (with [G] changed to [P] to account for the update in Poison's TCG classification). That was changed because Volcanion shouldn't be able to one-shot this thing too easily. Tbh, nothing should be able to one-shot this thing too easily. :U
  • 3D Mega text: Is the GX attack, Diamond Rush. I tried to fit both attacks, the GX attack, and the Ability in 3D Japanese lettering, but couldn't fit it all in. :/
  • "How on Earth would I get this thing into play?": Well, I'm glad you asked! Basically, you need to have all four parts of the card in your hand (and you can't play more than one of each because of the 4-of rule; or, you can play two of one part and none of another, but you shouldn't), and a Steelix-EX ex GX in play (not necessarily Active). You play M Steelix-EX ex GX LEGEND as you would a normal LEGEND card, except you put it on top of the Steelix-EX ex GX. (This counts as evolving Steelix-EX ex GX.) Then you can choose to use the Ability if you'd like, or not, but either way it ends your turn, because it's a Mega. Then on your next turn you can wreak havoc however you please.
  • First and foremost, I'd like to thank @Nod3. She made the card this one is based on, and as such the idea is hers, and I can't thank her enough for her permission to use it. ^.^
  • Thanks to @aschefield101 for the blank that this one used to be, haha. I'm afraid I cut it up and sewed it back together rather a lot. Most of the symbols for this one are his as well.
  • Thanks to Autobot Tesla on dA for use of his incredible Mega Steelix art!
  • Thanks to @Nekoban Ryo for his various texture foils, as well as the Pokémon TCG Symbols font he made here.
  • Thanks to @WastedSkyPirate for graciously accepting to take over for me without really knowing what he was in for. <3

professorlight

Ice Queen
Well, in the end, I could finish the drawing on time, so if it's still possible, add me to image, please.

-kOC-IKika_SjK-kAeMKaSmAzH_hqemf1fDKPrTNVoWZmX1ADgjWVG96Dps6yKtvSkJ6Q8UG8G1MaXTmB9ZOTs5Pvuu3e2FwzOh2pA2ouCZ1wBikLaTXQ2IBMpKrsFStzmMv2MXkLS5uW9Q0XSmvhTzqAKjTe8jCI4eyEp2mr7JLDNQW5mOWiV6aUTRmvXrPhASX0iG0F-2m86vIsJCZcPVov1M81-3nWallSyAM7DCP4fO2eebax72IBnfiC6g0Lrg-kJsfkL4PcXdN5XOSHftXtPWpZg5ZKCTjDXRmA5Cgd6ZtbbotgkxSm-VemMkW7zz317k6nhkbRvhKHiMYSMXws_2DV3McXmzORjevjZWnzYmXa7psJcVcUJdrj5hbORfF6832MbCBz98nv7h3sk1UFMQbUhSKQfX1rtavrzmHT1bIzWS8mFZ3SyA4QkFROca2a3y8w8Xx2W2NGva0S74bN24Qgc5-BYxnL48ml0YK6viSC6OfFSS_1CtHxCH6M18eDsfcaSHjmQf8YRvGE1RAmTZH9_3fheGq9V8RSLTdm3JzR0FoZJg4b5_4sqnetZkBfmwTYShIOTM7IEpzg6zqsNtEDi3Tkd4IDPX6SlE3IKtt2uUOn6Y1xD7QlUkqm6Qk_Z9QQ0j6LgpzzwYwtCWVAjjyCKpDbU7JDxKmTR4IgQ=w659-h927-no

My concept used to be much more extensive, including a GX attack, but as always, space concerns. The power could be a little overpowering in the sense that you could easily cripple a [L] or [W] deck by switching the energies around; originally the GX attack was going to do massive damage to all pokemon in play for each [W] energy attached to it, so the power was a way to keep yours safe by making their energies into [L] and even making it so you could also affect a [L] type deck. It's a limited concept, mostly applicable to two specific types, but lanturn is always a bit like that.

Originally the ability was that it could change a number of energies equal to the number of [W] energies attached to lanturn, which could have been more balanced, maybe; I ended up taking that part out for space reasons and so I don't have to get into the whole "what if I change its [W]energies into [L] energies and affect the quantity" issue. The fixed number I replaced it with could be reduced; I left it there mostly for the attack's benefit, so you could get the full possibility of the 3 [L] energies even on a pure water deck.

That's all. Sorry for the uneven spacing of the energy symbols, especially in the ability; the auto-adjustment plays badly and I have to put the symbols manually. Usually it goes unnoticed because I never need so many symbols on the same block of text.

Fixed the spoiler. ~bbninjas