Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: February 2017 - Alola Pokedex - Results Are Up!

Congrats @Blui and @quakingpunch73!

Haha oh wow, I came last. Oh well, I already thought it wasn't my best work, and as stated above, I was already aware of many of my entries' flaws way before the judging. The wording and font areas particularly bugged me. Alas, my card for this month is already looking 10x better, so ain't no big deal!

Wondered if I’d be seeing you here, Light. Welcome back, stay awhile. Custom blanks are always cool to see.

Art is pretty cool, too, and foils are nice. I do love me some Radiant foils, but honestly it makes parts of the card a little hard to read. It is readable as it is now, but I have to look a bit more carefully than I would normally to read the attack text. The circle holosheet also obscures Ninetales a bit as it goes over the art; for holosheets like that I’d always suggest putting them in front of the background but behind the Pokémon.

Frozen Grace is a nice support attack (if a little underwhelming), but I think it would be optimal to reverse the effects, like healing on heads and returning an Energy on tails. The reason I say that is because heads is just characteristically the “best effect” for the flipper––if tails is ever the better effect for you, it’s your opponent who flips the coin. Returning just one basic Energy card––not even attaching it, just putting it into your hand––isn’t really too good when there’s an Itemthat nets you two of them without fail. In contrast, there’s another Item that heals damage for free, but it only heals 30.

Frozen Defense is a really interesting attack that punishes your opponent creatively for attacking Ninetales. Freezing the Active is less of a threat when Ninetales can’t actually damage it without being attacked first itself, but it does fit flavorfully, I suppose.

I don’t think you need to change Frozen just because they changed Burn. Burn was most likely changed because of a mechanics thing; it wasn’t good enough as it was (not that it’s significantly better now, but hey). If Frozen isn’t really really underwhelming, you shouldn’t need to change it.

Wording errors:
- Since this is your own era, I went through your existing cards and had their wording take precedence over real-world wording for most of the major things. It bothers me a little bit to use “ignore that damage” instead of “prevent that damage”, but I’ll let it slide because you are keeping constant wording rules, even if they’re not the official ones, which is fine because custom era. The only major one I can’t find a reference for is saying “equal to or greater than” instead of “at least”. I am going to dock points for this, because the wording seems unnecessarily clunky and could easily be fixed, plus no English card has ever used that wording. [-2 points]
- As for the minor things that really should be the same whether it’s a custom era or not––“One” should be “1”. [-1 point]
- Damage counters aren’t placed in a Pokémon (goodness, that would be painful), they’re put on a Pokémon.

Fonts and Placement errors:
- Looks good to me.

Sorry about the edition; I should have said something, but I reflexively changed a word that I missed when I wrote the text; it happened immediately after I posted. I do that a lot, and I didn't even realize this was CaC until after I was done. So, I'd say it's all you guys' fault for making me lose the habit of posting in CaC. Yes.

I'll try the holofoil thing; I know many people prefer that (and it does look good on blui's and athena's cards), but I don't like that much to divide the art that way and have two different illustrations that are meaningless when separated. But, admittedly, I can do that cleanly now, unlike when I first started.

To be honest, Frozen Grace was like that because I simply couldn't decide which effect was best, since both help the two aspects of Frozen Defense; the energy allows you to recover what you discard and get immunity (which I judged better) while the healing lets you keep Ninetales alive, something I thought necessary when your pokemon absorbs damage without a means to attack.
That's why I didn't think of external cards; for me, Ninetales had to support herself on her own, in any deck. Especially since she mostly stalls, she isn't there for high-damage dealing, but keeping your opponent busy with other things while she keeps your other pokemon safe. You know I like that style.

I'll leave Frozen as is, then; I was afraid it would be overpowered.

I didn't even know it was "prevent that damage"; I seem to remember ignore from another era? probably gym challenge. Anyway, since it's on my other cards, I won't change it, but I'll try to keep it in mind.
And you don't know how happy I am that "equal or greater as" is now "at least"; same with "their" instead of "he or she"; their clunkiness always bothers me so much and makes the text longer.

And I'll keep the "put on" in mind as well. Was it ever "placed", or did I just lose my mind?

I've never needed to put on Ht/Wt/Dex Entry before and don't see why I should start now unless I want two points.

Which I do. /sigh

I could have done better. See you all later today for my march entry.

Hah, and here I was thinking my Mimikyu would be underpowered if anything. Shows what I know about the TCG. :p

I'll certainly take second place, though! :D

The HP thing I actually took from a symbol sheet from the era, so not sure why that's wrong, but I guess I'll do better to compare sizing in the future.

Possibly the most drastic case of EX-hate I’ve ever seen. Three whole Prize cards? That is rather a lot. That said, though, you can accomplish something very similar with cards like Lugia-EX PLS. There are a few different criteria, but overall very similar. The biggest difference, to my mind, is that Lugia-EX can’t effectively keep Plasma Gale-ing turn after turn, because you’re forced to expend a vital resource––Plasma Energy. Grim News doesn’t make you discard any Energy at all. You could keep it up every single turn, and with a few well-placed Lysandres or other forced switches, your opponent can’t even mount any sizeable defense. If Grim News isn’t broken, it’s very, very close. I’d be worried to see what it could do in a slow format.

But, more of the card to see! Let’s move on. Cursed Vale’s got an interesting effect, even if you did forget the “Don’t apply W/R for Benched Pokémon” clause. :x It seems like a decently balanced spread, too, as your opponent can fairly easily regulate their Bench size and Cursed Vale’s power decreases with a smaller Bench. Overall a good support attack for the off chance your opponent doesn’t have any EX’s.

HP is on the low end for a BWXY-era Gengar. W/R/RC seem fine. The art is a little bland, but oh well.

Wording errors:
- Missing the “(Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)” clause. [-2 points]

Fonts and Placement errors:
- Bottom text is off. Illus text is the wrong font; set number is omitted entirely. [-2 points]
- Attack name placements are off––should be centered according to the icons to the left. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 10/15
(Cursed Vale is a cool form of spread.)
Wording: 13/15
(Missing a very important clause.)
Fonts and Placement: 7/10
(Missing set number; a couple other things.)
Believability/Playability: 2/5
(Grim News game-changingly forces a very quick-to-respond format.)
Aesthetics: 2/5
(Nothing special aesthetically. Weirdly blurry Haunter evocon.)
Total: 34/50

Oh my... can't believe I forgot the "Don't apply Weakness and Resistance" clause. >_<.

In terms of my choice for Grim News, I was contemplating making it only give one prize instead of three. I decided on three because if it was just one, then what was the point of the attack? You could just KO the EX with another Pokemon and you'd be better off. Granted, it might take longer... but eh. Now that I look back on it, one prize would have been a better choice.

The blurry Haunter evocon is a result of not finding an evocon that is the right size for the blank. I used an evocon sheet for smaller blanks and scaled it up. I don't know why I omitted the set number ^_^.

And the reason I made the HP on the low end is because of Grim News being super powerful. Balancing issues, y'know.

I think I'll update this card to fix these issues. Does anyone know of a higher resolution evocon sheet?

Also I figured I'd tag you here, @Jabberwock since you judged :p.

The blurry Haunter evocon is a result of not finding an evocon that is the right size for the blank. I used an evocon sheet for smaller blanks and scaled it up. I don't know why I omitted the set number ^_^.

I think I'll update this card to fix these issues. Does anyone know of a higher resolution evocon sheet?
You don't need one. Just take the regular ol' Suigamori art and scale it down. I'm pretty sure that's what most people do. It's what I do, at least.

You don't need one. Just take the regular ol' Suigamori art and scale it down. I'm pretty sure that's what most people do. It's what I do, at least.

It is Sugimori art, but it's stylized up a bit. If you use his art it'll be a bit flatter than the ones on real cards.

It is Sugimori art, but it's stylized up a bit. If you use his art it'll be a bit flatter than the ones on real cards.
The other option is to screenshot a card that evolves from the same Pokemon on PTCGO, and then erase out all the screenshot except for that evo symbol. This keeps the stylisation. Sugimori art is also suitable - it's better than a blurry image - and you can fiddle with the art to get a more bold effect, but screenshotting is the better of the two.

Hah, and here I was thinking my Mimikyu would be underpowered if anything. Shows what I know about the TCG. :p

I'll certainly take second place, though! :D

The HP thing I actually took from a symbol sheet from the era, so not sure why that's wrong, but I guess I'll do better to compare sizing in the future.
Could entirely be a scaling thing tbh Athena, looking at it you're a few pixels off height wise and needed to be a few more pixels to the left of the type icon :)

093Haunter.png

Slight shadow added to it and an even slighter bevel (low white hgihlight and barely visible shadow), and you'd be sorted :)

Back