Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: February 2017 - Alola Pokedex - Results Are Up!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
So, they use a different calendar in Australia, @bbninjas ? That's a Sunday. xD Last February 26th on a Thursday was on 2015... o_O
I thought I fixed that it! >~>;

ok i will try this
NW3mZYn
http://i.imgur.com/NW3mZYn.jpg
sorry i have it in a link i couldn't find the right link to coppy
never mind i found out how:p
You will need to update your entry with an illustrator credit, just so you know. Please do so within the next 24 hours, otherwise your entry will be invalid. :)

Blui

lv85 paladin
Decidueye is by far the coolest Pokemon from Alola. Here's a card.

decidueye%20entry_zpsmocmgv5a.png

It's a little known fact that HS is by far my favorite era of the Pokemon TCG simply for the aesthetic the cards presented. Junk Arm is arguably the best card printed in the era and led to many super consistent decks. Decidueye has been designed to play well against Junk Arm without being oppressive. The Lost Zone an obvious solution to this problem that I set out to solve and I ended up choosing this weird Junk Arm-Portait mixture that allowed you to slightly disrupt the opponent while giving yourself a small potential boost. Wording Hollow Impersonator was surprisingly difficult and went through several iterations (see below) and this was because of cards like Plus Power (pre-BW), Defender, RoboSub, PokeDoll and all the Pokemon Tools, you can't copy the effect of a card that stays in play so some problem solving had to be done to see what the solution was. For cards like Rare Candy and Junk Arm itself, if you can't meet the requirements for using the card, you can't use the card, same as Smeargle with cards such as Flowershop Lady.

Sinister Arrow Raid filled a desire in me to use the Lost Zone for more than a few silly effects. Funnily enough the Lost Zone is kind of a shared game zone, so both player's cards are counted, so if you used something like Absol Prime to put a Pokemon in the Lost Zone it would boost SAR's damage. The cap at 120 was to keep the card reasonable and allow for more room to do other things with the Lost Zone (for example, I've been toying with the idea of a Giratina LEGEND that puts all cards in the discard pile (excluding Pokemon) in the Lost Zone) without the potential of absolutely breaking this card. The split Energy cost of the attack balances out the high damage output.

Here is a design I rejected as I was writing up a post like this.
decidueyefinal_zpsatzm6pe4.png

The card functions in much the same way, obviously Pernicious Arrow and Phantom Maneuver were merged to create Hollow Impersonator. Leaf Blade exists to push Decidueye into the realm of being a good card without being broken.

citations:
Various Pokemon LEGEND (weakness placement)
Rotom, Sableye (resistance)
Junk Arm, Smeargle (UD), Lucario (CL), (wording)
Decidueye (SM) (retreat)
Jumpluff (power level)
a bunch of cards with capped damage output

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Where can i find the set logo?

Hopefylly you've already found it if you're looking to submit, but it's under the "General Rules" section of the opening post.

it won't let me upload my card. Every time i try to upload my card, it says: "Unable to upload file"

Your file is probably over the attachment size limit, so you'll need to host the image somewhere else. In addition to asche's Deviant Art suggestion, there are lots of free and simple image hosting sites that don't even require registration, such as Imgur.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
So that's a wrap for this month's Contest!

The Judges will now finish evaluating all the entries and results will be posted here once they're ready. Stay tuned to see if you were the winner!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
The CAC team has decided to give a 24-hour extension (ending 24 hours after the time of this post) to submit entries, since the site has been down sporadically and because some members have experienced technical difficulties, preventing them to submit on time. This won't actually delay the judging and the fanvoting will commence after this extension ends.

Yog

Rogue
Bookmarking this thread in advance of the compilation post, some very good work happening here. Love that Oricorio in particular. I would be interested in playing this during March if it is planned to be an ongoing thing.

Ty Comfy Hat

The Cosmic rage of Astral Dwarfs from Aberdeen.
You know, I am very excited for the results, but I'm also feeling a tad nervous my entry will recieve a good deal of critical-panning, especially after reading through the results of some old CaCs from back in '15, and seeing a fair number of point-deductions for seemingly minor stuff. I keep looking at my entry and thinking "Hmm, if only I could go back and do that just a little differently...".

I mean I'm not usually scared of criticsm, it's just- ehh... y'know?

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
You know, I am very excited for the results, but I'm also feeling a tad nervous my entry will recieve a good deal of critical-panning, especially after reading through the results of some old CaCs from back in '15, and seeing a fair number of point-deductions for seemingly minor stuff. I keep looking at my entry and thinking "Hmm, if only I could go back and do that just a little differently...".

I mean I'm not usually scared of criticsm, it's just- ehh... y'know?

It should be noted that Heavenly Spoon, the previous judge, is renowned for his ruthlessness in judging. Whether I am anything like him, of course, remains to be seen. :p

Remember that the objective in all good criticism is improvement. Whether you do well or not this month, there's always next month to fix whatever mistakes you might have made. :)

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
That 24-hour extensions is now over! Stay tuned for the beginning of the fan judging. ^.^

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Thanks for such a great turnout, everyone! We filled both categories, and all text-based entries were submitted on-time! Take that, Luis!

Official judging will be posted as soon as it is completed. Stay tuned, but in the meantime, it's time for Fan Voting! Please cast a vote for the entry in each category that you think deserves to be called the best! The results of this will be published after the end of Fan Voting. (See below for a deadline.) You don't have to be an entrant to vote; spectators are encouraged to give their voice, too! :)

Click here to access the image-based voting form.
Click here to access the text-based voting form.

If you do not wish to submit your vote over the form, you may submit it instead by PM to @bbninjas.

Fan Voting ends on Friday, March 3 at Noon, EST, so you have approximately 3 days to get your vote in.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
So many of the image cards are very nice to look out but small tasty birds always have a place in the world!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Fan Voting Results

Image-Based:

1st Place: crystal_pidgeot - 9 Points
2nd Place: Blui - 7 Points
3rd Place: blahblahbal - 2 points

Text-Based:
1st Place: Scorched Feathers - 4 Points
2nd Place: Vracken - 3 Points
3rd Place: [TIE] quakingpunch73, mirdo, Blakers & VioletValkyrie - 2 Points

Thanks goes to all who voted and congratulations to the winners of the fan voting! The voting for the text-based portion was very close - it was anyone's game. The actual judging will be posted shortly.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Image-Based Results

Judge: @Jabberwock

It's that time again, folks. With every CaC comes the official judging results, and it's my distinct pleasure to give the image-based portion of them to you at last. I was so glad to see so many of you sign up this month (we hit 15!), and I hope you all stick around here for future rounds. I love getting to know new fakers, and new fakers there are aplenty in this contest. Pleasure to meet all of you, and to welcome all our old hands back. :)

Now, a few notes on my judging before we launch into the entries (though if you'd like you can just skip over all this and see the entries below :p). As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Heavenly Spoon, the previous judge, was widely reputed for his strict judging rubric. It isn't my intention to emulate him exactly, nor to do away with everything he did. I'm judging as I judge, with my own standards, which may align with Spoon's (or any other previous judge) or not. Whether you won this round or not, this contest in the end is a means of improvement for everyone. If you have any questions, of course, feel free to ask. ^.^

So, the entries. Let's get down to it.

zpeeW5G.png

The art is an interesting choice. Raichu’s pose looks more or less how I’d imagine a FA Raichu-EX to look, but the tree and beach in the background aren’t really something I’d expect to see outside of a Radiant Collection-style FA. Textures are decent, but more holosheeting would help, as would more complete linework for the EX golden outline.

The Ability looks good. “Griddle Grab” is an adorable Ability name for a pancake-stealing trickster, and the effect of the Ability flavorfully works in line with that. It can be abused with Battle Compressor, but then again, what can’t be abused with Battle Compressor?

Surf’s Up! is where the card loses some credibility. Unfortunately, the cool flavor from Griddle Grab is a bit lost on me here. I don’t see how you need to have fifteen Items (or pancakes) with you while surfing for it to work. In fact, I’d think it would be just the opposite: too many pancakes before hitting the waves usually doesn’t end well.

Balancing all checks out; 15 Items in the discard isn’t too hard to manage in today’s format. I’d be concerned about some kind of infinite loop happening with a card like Scoop Up Cyclone, but that isn’t a big issue since a loop like that wouldn’t get you anywhere.

Wording errors:
- Don’t need the “Once during your turn” clause. [-2 points]
- You don’t search your discard pile (not in this era, at least). There’s nothing unknown in it to search for. [-2 points]
- “ability” should be capitalized. [-1 point]

Fonts and Placement errors:
- All effect text for Abilities and attacks should be the same size. If it doesn’t fit, resize all (both) of them. [-2 points]

Creativity/Originality: 12/15
(Creative use of Items and the discard pile that we haven’t seen too much of in the current format. Griddle Grab is nice and flavorful.)
Wording: 10/15
(The wording you’re using is actually nearly spot-on for the DPPt or HGSS era, but some things have changed since then. See above.)
Fonts and Placement: 8/10
(Size of Ability text.)
Believability/Playability: 4.5/5
(Seems plausible.)
Aesthetics: 3.5/5
(Needs the trademark EX golden outline over the entire Pokémon, not just the outside. Could also do with more holosheeting.)
Total: 38/50

028a-alolan-sandslash-a-png.12847

Haven’t seen a lot of Evolutions-inspired cards. You managed to update a Classic blank accurately, too, so props for that.

Slush Rush has a nice unique effect, but the practical applications are a bit limited. I feel like you’d need to set up two or three Sandslash to have a significant impact (since each one would only rarely reduce damage by more than 10 or 20), and even then there are fairly easy ways to get around it.

Icicle Spear seems fine. Not terribly creative, but oh well. Strangely enough there’s never actually been a card with “Icicle Spear” for an attack, so there’s no established effect.

Seems weird that it resists Metal and is weak to Fire, too. I know Sandslash in-game is weak to Fire, but Ice-types in the TCG are traditionally weak to Metal, the only exceptions being rare cases like Abomasnow SF (which comes from an era when PCL was way more liberal with W/R than in either Classic or Evolutions).

The art is actually pretty cool imo; fits in with the Mitsuhiro Arita-style art from the era. I like the color-swapped bars to give the Alolan Pokémon their own unique feel.

Wording errors:
- Need to clarify that it reduces damage done to your Active Pokémon; there are no effects that alter damage done to the Bench. [-2 points]
- “bench” should be capitalized. [-1 point]
- “While” in the Ability should be “As long as”. [-1 point]
- “all”; “every” should both be “each”. [-1 point]
- Pokémon don’t “deal” damage; they “do” damage. [-1 point]
- “that they require” should be “in the attack cost of that attack.” [-1 point]

- Incorrect font for Slush Rush’s effect. [-2 points]
- Pokémon name font isn’t quite bold enough for Evolutions. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 9/15
(Interesting Ability; less interesting attack.)
Wording: 8/15
(Several mistakes in the Ability’s text.)
Fonts and Placement: 7/10
(See above.)
Believability/Playability: 3/5
(Damage reduction is more commonly based on Retreat Cost or Energy attached than attack cost; very unusual Weakness and Resistance.)
Aesthetics: 3/5
(Art works nicely with the era, and the color-swapped bars are another nice touch.)
Total: 30/50

Skarmory_CAC.png

Okay, first things first. Be careful with Abilities on Basic Pokémon, especially if you allow them to stack. You could very easily set up four of these and start putting 12 damage counters on a Pokémon every time it retreats. It’s not just a benchwarmer, either; the attack is certainly viable. That said, your take on Stealth Rocks is pretty creative, so well done there.

Bladestorm works flavorfully, even if the effect isn’t particularly new. It makes more sense than Secret Sword doing more damage based on the amount of Water Energy attached, at least.

HP is a little above standard; I’d knock it to at most 110 (maybe 100 or even 90, seeing as this is more playable than most Skarmory). Weakness and Resistance seem fine. Skarmory’s never had zero retreat cost, but I guess it isn’t too out there.

I like the use of a Shiny Pokémon in the old BW style, but it seems a little weird not to have the gold border and etched Energy symbol in the center. I’ll let the border slide because it’s true that there were a few Shiny Pokémon toward the beginning of the era (up until like Dragons Exalted, iirc) that had a normal yellow border, but the lack of engraving in the center is like not having a single holosheet on a FA EX.

Wording errors:
- “active” in the Ability should be capitalized. [-1 point]
- “usual” in the Pokédex entry is misspelled. [-1 point]

- The “1” in the HP should be a bit closer to the “20”. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 10/15
(Interesting take on an ingame mechanic.)
Wording: 13/15
(A couple grammar things.)
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
(See above.)
Believability/Playability: 2/5
(Absurdly overpowered Ability, slightly unrealistic HP.)
Aesthetics: 2.5/5
(Go the extra mile for a Shiny Pokémon and include the engraved Energy symbol.)
Total: 36.5/50

14e80d214b.png

Possibly the most drastic case of EX-hate I’ve ever seen. Three whole Prize cards? That is rather a lot. That said, though, you can accomplish something very similar with cards like Lugia-EX PLS. There are a few different criteria, but overall very similar. The biggest difference, to my mind, is that Lugia-EX can’t effectively keep Plasma Gale-ing turn after turn, because you’re forced to expend a vital resource––Plasma Energy. Grim News doesn’t make you discard any Energy at all. You could keep it up every single turn, and with a few well-placed Lysandres or other forced switches, your opponent can’t even mount any sizeable defense. If Grim News isn’t broken, it’s very, very close. I’d be worried to see what it could do in a slow format.

But, more of the card to see! Let’s move on. Cursed Vale’s got an interesting effect, even if you did forget the “Don’t apply W/R for Benched Pokémon” clause. :x It seems like a decently balanced spread, too, as your opponent can fairly easily regulate their Bench size and Cursed Vale’s power decreases with a smaller Bench. Overall a good support attack for the off chance your opponent doesn’t have any EX’s.

HP is on the low end for a BWXY-era Gengar. W/R/RC seem fine. The art is a little bland, but oh well.

Wording errors:
- Missing the “(Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)” clause. [-2 points]

- Bottom text is off. Illus text is the wrong font; set number is omitted entirely. [-2 points]
- Attack name placements are off––should be centered according to the icons to the left. [-1 point]

(Cursed Vale is a cool form of spread.)
(Missing a very important clause.)
(Missing set number; a couple other things.)
Believability/Playability: 2/5
(Grim News game-changingly forces a very quick-to-respond format.)
Aesthetics: 2/5
(Nothing special aesthetically. Weirdly blurry Haunter evocon.)
Total: 34/50

Halas%20Hariyama_zpst3u5dfa2.png

Fighting Heart has an interesting effect that I could totally see being printed in that era, especially given things like Koga’s Muk and Brock’s Rhydon. Also reminds me a bit of all the creative ways to boost the damage of [F] Pokémon a few years ago––Strong Energy and the like.

Stunning Slap does damage and paralyzes. Fair enough, then.

Your fonts are almost all on point, which is nice. “Pokémon Power: Fighting Heart” should be a pixel or two lower, lining up with the base of the first line of text, but that’s about it.

Hariyama’s had some really variable HP in its time, ranging from 80 to 130, so 90 sounds as good as any. Another thing to note is that despite having Retreat Costs of four nowadays, Hariyama in its early days actually had a Retreat Cost of one.

Wording errors:
- Wording rules can be really vague in this era, but there is a precedent for the Pokémon Power’s text. Koga’s Muk reads, “If an opponent’s attack does damage to Koga’s Muk (even if Koga’s Muk is Knocked Out), …”. [-3 points]
- The Gym era does not use decimal points for weight in the ‘dex bar, instead rounding to the nearest whole number. [-1 point]

- The name of the Pokémon Power should line up with the first line of text. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 9/15
(Interesting Pokémon Power.)
Wording: 11/15
(Easily avoidable wording error.)
(Almost all on point.)
Believability/Playability: 4/5
(Yeah, I could see them printing this.)
Aesthetics: 2/5
(Anime screenshots aren’t really optimal for most cards.)
Edited: -2
Total: 33/50

qqpggl.png

Wow. That’s quite the holosheeting you’ve got going on there. Certainly looks fancy, but I’m not sure about the circular texture for the bulk of Oricorio’s body. Usually patterns like that are better suited to backgrounds. Still, the shine and shadows from the fire give it an appropriate look, almost like it’s dancing.

The Nectar Set mechanic is really interesting and flavorful (reminds me of Deoxys from … uh, Deoxys, only with a cool Item), but there are a few discrepancies that aren’t quite sorted out. For one thing, Nectar Set’s effect can’t currently swap directly between Pa’u Style and Sensu Style Oricorio––it requires that the swapped Pokémon be a different type, and both Pa’u and Sensu would be retconned to [P]-type with the TCG’s current mechanics (unless you make one of them [C] for Flying, instead, but since all the Styles are Flying, that doesn’t seem to make much sense either). The other major issue with the mechanic is that, as Nectar Set states, turns in play are an effect that is preserved after the swap. You can’t say “If this Pokémon is put into play with the effect of Nectar Set”––according to Nectar Set’s own text, the Pokémon has already been in play! However, all that said, they’re mainly issues with the Item, and I’m here to judge the Pokémon.

One thing is (and this is a pitfall of faking in eras other than the current one) that you’re referring to a type of card that doesn’t exist yet. There is no Oricorio-GX, not according to the BWXY era.

Otherwise, the card looks fine balance-wise. Revelation Dance’s power is a little bit concerning, given that that type of power is usually given to Stage 1’s like Ambipom and the Unova monkeys, but then again it’s an EX with relatively low HP.

Wording errors:
- “both player’s” should be “each player’s”. [-1 point]
- “due to the effect” should be “with the effect”. [-1 point]
- “Defending Pokémon” in regard to damage is “your opponent’s Active Pokémon” post-XY. [-1 point]
- Damage is never added after Weakness and Resistance, only reduced, and the clause should be italicized. [-1 point]

- Ability text should be the same size as attack text. [-2 points]
- “+” is much too high next to the “20”. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 13/15
(Nice flavorful take on the Oricorio mechanic.)
(A bunch of minor errors.)
(See above.)
Believability/Playability: 4.5/5
(Balancing looks good, but a mention of “Oricorio-GX” hurts Believability.)
Aesthetics: 5/5
(Very shiny.)
Total: 40.5/50

-N-OSEC8bzUdmj5v822dzAypkA0IYinwKpP8fxVKnF3cEKuVyd-dyaNtPYDpzD6Ax-M1pHCpKMS8ZX8-pS8zRXFprMB57V2YyzaE-gPAjTPoMAsNXlUTWGUjX5GvKO33nGdUIHDKUlKMJ6FQokHsIbWHzy_HWWjhDwvGlBw6M32AvaoPLlicUki-hGjGDzwmYXe966jJVPqJQgq0CKIhFeieODFX5QirU7doMPLfD5BegBhwGhrub__w_n3Weqyv7p9_xF98dFXEfI3V_JTbwaYw3ga3_dgq29F_RaqTVXZtEHG64JpEgs74yWwM-oHPnXuay8eDDpgFHhqhhzW0BgNbrFwgGhyQh0w_iKEp9JiSWgHCNDrsP6XBBxcTLmnNYTXicUtwmHwa9mE0ubhbcwGoprSQqx2Ml2i4FkfYe0OyjYQw2tckihi0YbLcdfkItiul7XGyOtR1qnAlcdVCX1Pq13tdmapIO8mBwxpe49eaQzsenmORo3KAzpQxQRWniwwPxxHZxaxv-cgDLUiY70wKHRh8oq02EUN0cF7YlmjxvC6OiUMnKNgXyophIBkoMYjeVVvTMD9CwybdF8Q51uAhyOogdWJ3jMNdGxE5yEktR6ABawVumUyj9rPIioha-kcWGV8JdIDeuppPqTOmyei4zV4AxUNK0ncpspZ3xw=w661-h931-no

Wondered if I’d be seeing you here, Light. Welcome back, stay awhile. Custom blanks are always cool to see.

Art is pretty cool, too, and foils are nice. I do love me some Radiant foils, but honestly it makes parts of the card a little hard to read. It is readable as it is now, but I have to look a bit more carefully than I would normally to read the attack text. The circle holosheet also obscures Ninetales a bit as it goes over the art; for holosheets like that I’d always suggest putting them in front of the background but behind the Pokémon.

Frozen Grace is a nice support attack (if a little underwhelming), but I think it would be optimal to reverse the effects, like healing on heads and returning an Energy on tails. The reason I say that is because heads is just characteristically the “best effect” for the flipper––if tails is ever the better effect for you, it’s your opponent who flips the coin. Returning just one basic Energy card––not even attaching it, just putting it into your hand––isn’t really too good when there’s an Item that nets you two of them without fail. In contrast, there’s another Item that heals damage for free, but it only heals 30.

Frozen Defense is a really interesting attack that punishes your opponent creatively for attacking Ninetales. Freezing the Active is less of a threat when Ninetales can’t actually damage it without being attacked first itself, but it does fit flavorfully, I suppose.

I don’t think you need to change Frozen just because they changed Burn. Burn was most likely changed because of a mechanics thing; it wasn’t good enough as it was (not that it’s significantly better now, but hey). If Frozen isn’t really really underwhelming, you shouldn’t need to change it.

Wording errors:
- Since this is your own era, I went through your existing cards and had their wording take precedence over real-world wording for most of the major things. It bothers me a little bit to use “ignore that damage” instead of “prevent that damage”, but I’ll let it slide because you are keeping constant wording rules, even if they’re not the official ones, which is fine because custom era. The only major one I can’t find a reference for is saying “equal to or greater than” instead of “at least”. I am going to dock points for this, because the wording seems unnecessarily clunky and could easily be fixed, plus no English card has ever used that wording. [-2 points]
- As for the minor things that really should be the same whether it’s a custom era or not––“One” should be “1”. [-1 point]
- Damage counters aren’t placed in a Pokémon (goodness, that would be painful), they’re put on a Pokémon.

- Looks good to me.

(Creative punishing second attack.)
(Just one thing I couldn’t find a reference for, and another minor detail or two.)
Fonts and Placement: 10/10
(Checked this too; all looks good.)
(First attack’s coin flip results seem the reverse of what they should be.)
Aesthetics: 4/5
(Pretty holosheets.)
Edited: -2
Total: 39/50

primarina-ex-09-99-png.12969

I quite like that art; it’s cool to see two versions of the card side-by-side. Would be nice to see some texturing, too, but hey, non-textured FAs exist. That’s also an … interesting place for a set symbol. Guess it works as a stamp, though, a la League Promos.

The concept of the card works nicely and flavorfully without being overpowered by an extra 60 damage. Sort of like one of those Echoed Voice-style attacks, except this you can abuse with Laser and the like. A multi-Energy attack cost helps to balance it.

190 HP is a bit over the upper range of non-Mega EX’s; the only ones that have more than 180 are Wailord, Zygarde, and the Magma’s/Aqua’s Groudon/Kyogre from Double Crisis, and all of those are special cases. It stretches credulity that a Primarina would be given that treatment.

Wording errors:
- “you may select any (both your and your opponent’s) Active Pokémon that has a Special Condition, remove all Special Conditions from that Pokémon” should be “you may remove all Special Conditions from an Active Pokémon (yours or your opponent’s)”. [-2 points]
- “this Pokémon’s next attack does 60 more damage” should be “until the end of your turn, this Pokémon’s attacks do 60 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokémon”. [-2 points]
- “(Before your attack)” should be lowercase and italicized. [-1 point]
- Missing the accented “é” in the attack text. [-1 point]

- All fonts look more or less accurate, but oddly squashed heightwise. [-2 points]
- [W] Energy comes before [Y] Energy in the attack cost order, which is the same as the order that types appear in a current setlist. [-1 point]

(Works flavorfully.)
Wording: 9/15
(A few structuring things in the Ability text.)
(See above.)
(190 HP is a lot for anything that isn’t a god or a whale.)
(Nice art.)
Total: 34/50

nQzefE8.png

Me and non-EX BWXY haven’t exactly been on the best of terms recently, but the right holosheets really can work wonders. That is an adorable card. <3

A [L]-type Mimikyu isn’t as hard to imagine as I first thought––PCL has shown some diverting from real types in the past, most notably with Lugia on several occasions. The other one that comes to mind is an old Torkoal (I think a POP one?) that was [F]-type rather than [R]. I could see a [L]-type Mimikyu working as a sort of Secret Rare or something, or a promo. The attack name and flavor text further support that.

Tesla Gun seems fine for a [C] attack on a Basic, but Surprise, I’m Mimikyu! worries me. However much fun that attack name may be, we last saw its like on a low-HP EX (i.e., a very easy two Prizes), and before that on a Stage 2. To put it on a Basic Pokémon that only gives up one Prize is absurd. A lower damage output, like 20 or 30, might be less of an issue.

HP is also well outside the realms of normal Mimikyu HP. The two Japanese cards we’ve seen of it so far both sit at 70.

Wording errors:
- Perfect.

- HP numerals are just a little bit too big and close to the [L] type symbol. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 11/15
(Uses existing attacks and makes the flavor behind them work in a cool way.)
Wording: 15/15
(You did your research. :U)
(HP numerals are oddly big.)
(While I could see a [L]-type Mimikyu working just fine, you’ve got a very broken card there.)
(Adorable. <3)
Total: 42/50

Nihilcard_zps8zbqh08d.png

There’s a take on UBs I haven’t seen before. Ancient Traits, only not. That’s interesting. It’s a little weird to see a Trait of any kind that affects something outside the Pokémon itself; Ancient Traits never do that. That said, though, the mechanic of dealing directly with Supporter cards is a creative take on a parasite. I sort of wonder what some other UB Traits might do––the “once per turn” thing takes on a new meaning when you can use it on your turn and your opponent’s.

The art is nice as art, but I don’t know if it really works for a card. To remove Nihilego’s trademark soft blue coloring through filters, and then position it so that its cap is mostly outside the frame, it almost doesn’t look like Nihilego anymore.

I love the unique concept of the Ability, particularly that you can use it even after your opponent has shut off your Supporter card for the turn with Symbiont. Makes a little saving grace for what could otherwise be a game-breaking Trait. The attack detracts a bit from the Supporter-abusing mechanic, but still interesting.

W/R are really odd here. I get what you were trying to do with the dual-type Weakness, but Fighting is never weak to Fighting, and 4x ingame Weaknesses have no say in the matter. I’d go with [G]/[P] Weakness––Rock-types tend to be weak to [G] in the TCG. It’s equally strange to have [Y] Resistance in the TCG, even for a Poison-type.

Wording errors:
- Like professorlight, a custom blank gets you something of a free pass for most wording errors. I’ll note that “their” instead of “his or her” only comes into use in the SM era, while “Defending Pokémon” became “Active Pokémon” some time around the beginning of XY, and “if your Bench isn’t full” stopped being used well before that. [-2 points]
- Missing “+” next to “40”. [-1 point]

- Looks fine.

(Creative use of Supporter cards as a mechanic for a parasite.)
Wording: 12/15
(Conflicting wordings from different eras.)
(Looks fine.)
(It’s weird that a Trait affects something outside the Pokémon, and W/R are odd, but otherwise a believable take on Ultra Beasts.)
Aesthetics: 3/5
(The art is a bit odd, but that’s an appealing blank.)
Total: 40/50

decidueye%20entry_zpsmocmgv5a.png

I can totally see what you mean about loving the HGSS aesthetic! That holosheet is incredible, especially considering you’re using it on such an already-dark piece. The dual-type blending this way is much more pleasing than the XY way of doing it, and references LEGENDs in a neat way as well.

It shows excellent originality that you took an existing card that was very good in its day and tried to find ways to counter it. Sort of reminds me of VS Seeker’ing for a Supporter to prevent your opponent’s Gardevoir SW from Telepass’ing it. Indeed, Hollow Impersonator comes off as something of a Telepass for Trainers, which is cool (but admittedly slightly less original).

Another thing is that, even if your opponent tries to get their Junk Arms out of the way early, you can hilariously copy your opponent’s Junk Arm to grab any Trainer effect from your discard pile. Not sure if that’s what you intended, but it’s an interesting loophole.

The attack scares me a bit. Even two different Energy types in the cost doesn’t necessarily make it significantly harder to pull off when Energy are so easy to search for. It’s also not overly difficult to get stuff in the Lost Zone––Lost Remover and Mew Prime are both decent options, plus even setting up just a few of these and you’ll hit max in a few turns. BTS does wonders for a Stage 2 with a low attack cost proportional to damage output. :p

Still, though, that’s a beautiful card. Epitomizes everything you were saying about the aesthetics of HGSS.

Wording errors:
- All on point. I’m hesitant about the “You can’t use the effect of a card that stays in play when you play it” since the only cards that actually have that text on the card are Stadium cards, but I can’t think of a better way to word it.

- Perfect.

Creativity/Originality: 13/15
(Creative way to counter Junk Arm)
Wording: 15/15
(On point.)
(Wow.)
(The attack is a bit worrying.)
Aesthetics: 5/5
(Holosheet works well with art, and dual-type blank is done in a pleasing way.)
Total: 47/50

And the final placings are ...

3rd Place: crystal_pidgeot’s dancing Oricorio-EX, with 40.5/50 points.
2nd Place: Athena’s curious Mimikyu, with 42/50 points.
1st Place: Blui’s sinister Decidueye, with 47/50 points.

Congrats to the winners! See ya in March!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Text-Based Scores

Judge: @Luispipe8

Just a little explanation before digging up on the judgings. My mindset when judging creativity is what CMP once did when he was around: Vanilla give up 0 pts, and 20pts will be extremely difficult to achieve and only remarkable creativity should earn it. If you want a 20, you have to definitely blow me away. When it comes to wording, and a part of believability, is that the text you write should be print-ready. Everything on a card should be there and what shouldn't then mustn't. Lacking or extra things should go as deductions. And this includes Cases and accents for Wording and all Dex info and stats WHEN NECESSARY for believability, since you don't see those in a GX, for example. Any other question you have you're free to ask it.

So, with no further ado, let's go!

1- @thegrovylekid
Mimikyu HP: 70 [P]
Basic
mimikyu.gif

Ability: Vengeful Disguise
If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon and would be damaged by an opponent's attack, you may switch this Pokémon with 1 of your benched Pikachu (All effects of that attack, including damage, are done to Pikachu instead).

[C] Distorted Wish
Search your deck for a number of Basic Pokémon equal to the number of Pikachu in your discard pile and put them onto your Bench. Shuffle your deck afterward.

[P][C] Shadow Claw 40

Weakness: [D] x2
Resistance: [F] -20
Retreat: [C]
What a better way to start off the fake card contest than with a fake Pikachu. Let's dig in to the table and piece this thing apart.

Creativity: 18/20
The Ability is definitely something this past eras haven't seen at all, which is quite nice. It's actually sort of how I'd imagine Eject Button being implemented into the game; and kinda makes me wonder why haven't they done that already... Not with such a creepy name, tho. Distorted Wish looks like a cool search attack that's not just "look for n Pokémon" and that's it, and the requirement fits Mimikyu's creepy style. And well, Shadow Claw is a simple 2-for-40 attack, nothing out of the ordinary; but the other 2 effects give the card enough credit. Overall, great concept!
There are not any "big" errors, the only thing I see is that "." in the HP, which shouldn't be there at all; and that "Benched" goes capitalized. About the Ability, I believe it could be written "are done to the new Active Pikachu instead, but since there aren't any relevant sources on that, it's accepted.
Believability: 12/15
In terms of balancing, the card is actually perfect; and I actually see TPCi printing something exactly like this... Except, of course, adding the Dex Entry and Data that's missing. :v

Overall the card was great, tgk, I liked it a lot! Next time check those little details, though.

Total: 43/50

2- @Asmer
026-a.png

Alolan Raichu GX - Lightning Pokemon - HP210
Stage 1 - Evolves from Alolan Pikachu

Ability: Surge Surfing
As long as there is a Stadium in play, you may treat any Energy attached to this Pokemon as [L].

[L][L][C] Psychobolt 110
Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 20 more damage. If tails, this Pokemon does 20 damage to itself.

[L][L][L][C] Neuro-Breaker GX
Discard 3 Lightning Energy attached to this Pokemon. The Defending Pokemon is Knocked Out. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Metal (-20)
Retreat:

[Pokemon-GX Rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.]
Nice, a Surfing Pikachu card!! Uh? No? Oh, sorry, my bad. Anyways, into the judging:

Creativity: 14/20
(Well, overall the card looks cool. While Surge Surfer is a really nice effect (despite combining 2 already exixting ones), the attacks are a little bit lackluster in terms of creativity. Not vanilla, of course, but not as nice as the Ability.)
First of all, the inconsistency when refering to Energy and Types. Whether it's in the card's type or effects the actual types are never written in the cards, just their symbols; like in the Ability you wrote. You used "Lightning" in both Raichu's type and Neuro-Breaker GX, so 2 points for that. Then, speaking of which, the way it's worded is... funny, I think. Most recent reference with those type of Abilities are Charizard EVO and Hydreigon-EX ROS; so a correct way to write it would be "If there is any Stadium card in play, all Energy attached to this Pokemon are [L] Energy instead of their usual type.", so a couple points go out for that one. Rest of that seems fine.
Believability: 14/15
(The card overall screams "print me!!". It's actually something I can see being used by TPCi, it's quite balanced and on-par with the Stage 1 GXs we've seen, but I'm even willing to say that the GX attack is a little underpowered. If you're only using that attack once and on top of that you need to discard all Energy I believe it's just too much. I'd say only discard 2 Energy if discarding anything at all?)

I actually like the card a bunch at first, but then it looked a little underwhelming when it comes to creativity. Give it some more thought for next contest and I'm sure you'll do fine!

3- @NinJamezor
Zygarde GX – Fighting – HP210
Basic

Ability: Cell Reform
When 1 of your Zygarde you have in play has 60 or less HP (Excluding Zygarde-EX), you may play this Pokemon from your hand onto that Pokemon. Then, heal all damage and special conditions from that Pokemon. This Pokémon can use any attack or ability from the Zygarde it was placed upon (You still need the necessary Energy to use each attack). While this card is not your Active Pokemon or on your Bench, this card acts as a Stage 1 Pokemon. (If abilities are prevented from being activated, this Pokémon’s Ability can still be activated).

[F][F][C] Core Enforcer 140
Heal 50 damage from this Pokemon.

[F][F][F][C][C] Ecosystem Guardian GX
Choose 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. Your opponent shuffles that Pokémon and all cards attached to it into his or her deck. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: Fairy (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C][C][C]
GX Rule: When a Pokemon-GX has been knocked out, your opponent takes 2 prize cards
Go go Zygarde Rangers!! I mean... go go, judge, the entries..!!!

(Cell Reform is, despite a little bit too much developed, very original; and I also like that you gave a Fighting-type Pokémon a different Weakness, so that's a pro. Core Enforcer is like a c/p from Zygarde-EX and the GX attack is really simple, though, so there go some points away.)
Wording: 6/15
(Well, to begin with, you never state a time when Cell Reform can be triggered, like a "Once during your turn, when (...)". Then, "Special Conditions", "Ability" (which should be "Abilities", plural) and "Knocked Out" go capitalized, 5 instances of "Pokemon" with no accented "é". And the last part of the Ability should read "As long as this Pokémon is not in play, treat it as a Stage 1 Pokémon. Then, the GX rule should read "When your Pokémon-GX". And lastly, I would think that the last clause of the Ability can be reworded to something different, but since there's no current reference for that then you're cool with it.)
Believability: 8/15
(Let me begin with something that I want to make clear: Cell Reform is almost impossible to be printed. The closest and messiest thing I can remember being printed is Ectoplasm Dusknoir Lv. X (right?), and that's what I remember. This card requires like a whole hour to understand how it works, and has way too many "ifs" and "whens". And the attacks are somewhat unbalanced. Core Enforcer is literally a buffed up version of Lurantis-GX's Solar Blade, dealing 20 more damage and healing 20 more, AND it can be boosted by all the Fighting support out there; and the GX attack is just WAY too underpowered for 5 Energy AND to never use it again. I'd be literally shocked if something like this is in an upcoming set, but specially because of the Ability.)

Well, I have to say that I wasn't expecting this result from this Zygarde. Take a look at what you did wrong so you can excel next month! ;)
Total: 28/50

4- @Professor Palutena
Tapu Fini-EX - 180 HP - [W] type - Basic Pokemon

Ability: Misty Surge
Prevent all damage done to each player's Active Pokemon from either player's [N] Pokemon.

[C][C] Defog
Discard any Stadium in play. Then, draw 3 cards.

[C][C] Nature's Madness
Put damage counters on your opponent's Active Pokemon until its remaining HP is 10.

W - [G]
R -
RC - [C][C]
The missing Tapu... let's see if it's worthy enough of joining meta-breaking Tapu Lele :v

(Well, I do give you merit for using a type immunity Ability, that's something not seen that much. Defog is cool, even though its usual effect is dealing more damage if you discard a Stadium card in play (see Swanna BCR), it's not really an issue for Creativity. And Nature's Madness... well, Ive seen too many attacks like that recently, no, thank you. xD)
(Wording from the card itself is perfect! Although, you forgot the Pokémon-EX rule... that's a big one. And also, you wrote the Weakness, but not the "x2". )
Believability: 2/15
(I'm going to say this once, and only once. This. Card. Is. BROKEN. An immunity Ability with no "ifs" and no drawback is disputable at best, I mean, Araquanid SM has one... but on a Basic? That's rude. But not as rude as Nature's Madness... you took Raticate BREAK's attack, from a "Stage 2" Pokémon, and gave it to a Basic. And with no drawback or requierement whatsoever. Pair this with Ariados AOR and Poison Barb (for Grass Types) and you have an almost invincible deck that can take out EVERYTHING at once, from Magikarp to FFBed Wailord-EX. Only Safeguard can stop this thing, but you can easily tech around that with a Mew FCO or a Maniac after using Poisonous Nest... Just NOPE. By the time the power creep reaches this I'll burn all my cards. And Defog, well, as I said above, it's usual effect is different than that, so, some more points for that.)

I believe the card concept overall is nice, although giving Nature's Madness a coin flip and a different attack cost (like WC, or even WCC) would have made things a lot different in terms of balance... watch out for that for next month.

5- @Jadethepokemontrainer
105-a.png

Alolan Marowak GX - Psychic – HP200
Stage 1 – Evolves from Cubone

[P][C] Mean Block
Your opponent can't play any supporter cards from their hand on their next turn

[P][P][P] Shadow Boomerang GX 140
This attack does 4o damage to each of your opponents benched Pokemon (You can not use more than one GX attack per game)

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: Dark (-20)
Retreat: [C] [C]
5 entries so far and 3 have been GXs... Like I wasn't expecting this...

Creativity: 15/20
(Mean Block looks cool! The last Supporter denial attack we had was Exeggutor PLF's Blockade, but it's still something rarely seen. Shadow Boomerang is interesting, altough relatively vanilla, just deals damage. I do, however, would like to point out 2 things. First, the lack of another Attack/Ability. Just a single attack and the GX? quite peculiar, regardless it was intentional or not. And secondly, the W/R. A Ghost-type is usually weak to Dark and resists Fighting, so that combination you got there is out of the box for sure! Though I'll talk about that particular part down in the Believability section.)
Wording: 7/15
(First of all, Mean Block should read "during their next turn" instead of "on". Then, "Supporter" goes capitalized, and Pokémon goes with an accented "é". I'll also deduct a point for that dubious "4o" in Shadow Boomerang... Then, the GX attack rule should read "can't" , "1" and " in a game", instead of "can not", "one" and "per game", respectively. And last but not least, you forgot the Pokémon-GX Rule.)
Believability: 13/15
(To be honest the card looks perfectly fine and I see it really balanced. Mean Block deals no damage, the GX attack is powerful but, again, it's a GX attack... The lack of another attack/Ability isn't deterrent since that can be done anytime... It's a really believable card except for one thing: the Weakness/Resistance. Yeah, a Psychic-weak Ghost I can deal with, I mean, it'd mean it's weak to other Ghosts.. but that Resistance? I see LITERALLY no way Marowak can resist Dark when it should be weak to it instead. That makes no sense at all.)

Edit Penalty: -2

Putting aside the Wording errors and the odd Resistance, this card was really promising, Jade! Can't wait to see what you'll come up with for March's Contest.
Total: 33/50

6- @rainyman123
Alolan Grimer HP 70 Psychic
Basic Pokémon

grimer-alola.gif

[C][C] Hide the Junk
Turn your opponent's discard pile face-down. Neither you or your opponent can look at the cards in your opponent's discard pile unless an effect of an attack, Ability, or Trainer card would allow you to do so or require usage of the discard pile for the effect. Any card added to their discard pile must be turned face-down. Anytime a card is added or taken away from the discard pile, your opponent shuffles his or her discard pile. When a card from the top of your opponent's deck is discarded, neither player should look at the front of the card being discarded. You can only apply this effect once per game. Shuffle your opponent's discard pile.

[P][P] Toxic Tooth 10
The Defending Pokémon is now Poisoned and discard a Pokémon Tool card attached to the Defending Pokémon.

Weakness: Fighting x2
Resistance: Psychic -20
Retreat: 3
And here comes the melted candy bar! huh? it's a Pokémon? Oh, shoot. Darn, then let's judge it!

Creativity: 19/20
(I just "wow'd" at Hid the Junk. Although it's a legitimate pain in the posterior zone of your body to manage (which I'll cover down below), it's an amazingly thought out attack, and really fun indeed! Toxic Tooth is also peculiar, but not as bright; and I like those mixed W/R from the Dark-type. Great creative work!)
Wording: 14/15
(Wording was impecable! The only mistake I saw was that the "his or her" was removed in the S&M Era to become "theirs". Nice Job!)
Believability: 10/15
(The attack looks ok and balanced, but the Ability gives me a big doubt. Not as big one, I mean, you're allowed to take notes, so you can make a list of the cards you discard yourself and stuff, but for TPCi to actually print something like this? It's weird to mess with regular game mechanics that much; most we've had was Trump Card, Town Map and RotomDex. I dunno, it's not a definite no, but it'd be a very debatable call. Also, you forgot all Dex info, so a couple more points for that.)

This was overall a really nice entry, rainy, good work! Keep it up!

Total: 43/50

7- @quakingpunch73
Necrozma–Psychic–HP 140
Basic Pokémon
necrozma.png

Ability: Reflective Eclipse
If this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon when your opponent plays an Item or Supporter card from their hand, you may discard either 3 cards from your hand or 1 of your Benched Pokemon and all cards attached to it and use the effect of that Item or Supporter card as the effect of this Ability.

[P][P][P][P] Prismatic Wormhole 60+
If you have the same amount of Pokémon in play as your opponent, this attack does 50 more damage. If you have the same amount of cards in your hand as your opponent, this attack does 60 more damage. If you have the same amount of cards in your discard pile as your opponent, this attack does 80 more damage.

Weakness: [P] (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: [C][C]
Scientists have not discovered the true nature of this enigmatic Pokemon. Whether it is an Ultra Beast or not has yet to be decided.
Mirror, Mirror in the wall, will I be judging this card once and for all?

(Reflective Eclipse is crazy cool! And I thought Power Spray was an original card. The effects and costs are well thought out. And Prismatic Wormhole mixes like 3 different attacks into 1 and in a really clever way. Nice job!)
(You forgot to accent the "e" on Pokémon on the whole Ability text and also once in the Dex entry, but that's all.)
(First of all, I do believe the card is, on itself, balanced. It has low enough HP, a monstrous 4 [P] on the attack cost and damage boosts that are too crazy to get all at once, and the fact that it needs to be Active is even more restrictive unless used on hit-and-run decks, and I can't guarantee that'd work all that well. So in terms of your creation, it's not something I'd be surprised to see sometime along the era. The other point, however, does go for the missing Dex WT/HT/N°. Something to watch out for next time.)

This card was overall fantastic! Just take a better look at those little thing for next month and I'm sure you'll be among the best.

Total: 45/50

8- @ZygardeChronicles
Zygarde GX-Fighting-HP260

Ability: Power Construct
Once during you turn (before you attack), you may move a basic energy attached to 1 of your Pokémon to this Pokémon.

[F][F] Thousand Arrows 90
This attack’s damage isn’t affected by Resistance.

([F][F][F][F] Core Enforcer-GX 210
Until the end of your opponent's next turn, each Pokémon in play, in each player's hand, and in each player's discard pile has no Abilities. (This includes cards that come into play on that turn.) (You can only use one GX attack per game))

When your Pokémon GX is knocked out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: [W] x2
Resistance: [L] -20
Retreat: [C][C][C][C]
A Zygarde from ZygardeChronicles. Who would have thought?

Creativity: 10/20
(Power Construct is basically a c/p of Flareon-EX's Flash Fire (reference for the wording below), Thousand Arrows is "meh" at best and Core Enforcer is a c/p of Greninja's Shadow Stitching... yeah, at least it's not all vanilla, but it's not original either)
(In the Ability, it should read "before YOUR attack", "basic Energy", "from 1 of your Pokémon". The rest of the attacks have no mistakes themselves, but the GX Attack clasue shoud read "You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game" "one" is now written as "1". Then, you forgot the Pokémon's Stage! Is it a Basic? A BREAK? A LEGEND? A Level Up? A missingno.? And last but not least, "Knocked Out" in the GX Rule is capitalized. Also, "one" is now written as "1".)
Believability: 5/15
(Straight up, a 260HP Basic?! Zygarde-EX had "only" 190! A Zygarde-GX would have like, 210, 220 tops. But not 260. Then, Thousand Arrows is also REALLY broken. 90 damage for 2 Energy is just too much, and that's before any other damage modifiers, and it can't affected by Resistance? Nope. And Core Enforcer is Snorlax-GX's Pulverizing Pancake with 1 less Energy cost and an actually helpful side effect. This card is just too strong for the game.)

This card was collossal, and as such, it flopped collosally. You better watch out your wording and balance for next time; and think up some more creative attacks and effects.
Total: 27/50

9- @VioletValkyrie
Tapu Fini GX - Water - HP170
Basic

Ability: Mist Typhoon
Once during your turn (before you attack), you may discard as many cards from your hand as you'd like. Then, your opponent discards the same amount of cards from their hand.

[W][W] Misty Surge 40+
Until the end of your opponent's next turn, prevent all effects of attacks, excluding damage, done to each player and their Pokemon. If the Defending Pokémon has Tapu in its name, this attack does 30 more damage (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

[W][W][C] Celestial Storm GX 130 This attack does 50 damage to each of your opponent's Pokemon with Energy attached to it. Then, heal 50 damage from each of your Pokemon with Energy attached to it. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Weakness: Lightning (x2) Resistance: Retreat: [C][C]
wowsers, another Tapu Fini... wonder which one will be the best... let's see.

(Mist Typhoon is a really nice Ability, I actually like it a lot. Misty Surge is very interesting and that added effect for being a Tapu is quite original. And then, Celestial Storm has a cool secondary effect revolving all around Energy. Really nice creative thinking!)
(First of all, in the Ability it should read "before youR attack". Then, 3 times you forgot to place the accent on Pokémon's "é". Celestial Storm GX also should refer to the Pokémon by saying "(..) Pokémon THAT HAS ANY ENERGY attached (...)" (Source: Manaphy-EX; Yveltal BREAK ); and you did that twice. The rest looks fine.)
(Misty Surge is a low damage attack with a not devastating effect and the GX attack isn't strong enough to be considered broken. However, if you combine the Ability with Exeggcute PLF you can make an auto 4 discard to your opponent EVERY TURN! That's something really crazy, if you ask me.)

This card was awesome, Violet, if it wasn't for the Ability being so broken. Take a better look at that and those wording mistakes and you'll certainly do great!

Total: 40/50

10- @Blakers
]http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/salazzle.gif[/IMG]

Salazzle-GX – Psychic – HP190

Stage 1 – Evolves from Salandit

Ability: Corrosion

As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, Pokémon on your opponent’s bench can be affected by one Special Condition by this Pokémon’s attacks.

[P][C][C] Flame Burst: 80 damage. You may choose one of your opponent’s benched Pokémon. That Pokémon is now Burned.

[P][C][C] Venom Drench the Bench GX: 50 damage. All of your opponent’s benched Pokémon are now Poisoned. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack a game.)

When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)

Resistance: none

Retreat: 1
bla bla

(Corrosion is a good Ability, I gotta give you that; and Venom Drench the Bench, besides sounding rather cool, has a nice added effect. Flame Burst, on the other hand, isn't that outstanding.)
(For Corrosion, referencing your opponent's Bench should be "your opponent's Benched Pokémon can be (...) by effects of this Pokémon's attacks.", so 2 points for those 2. Then, Bench and Benched are Capitalized, so 3 points for that. Also, "one" is now written as "1". You also forgot to accent the "é" on Pokémon in the GX Rule. And finally, you forgot the "in" in the GX attack clause ("GX attack IN a game".)
(Corrosion would need a whole Compendium page to fe fully understood. I mean, can you remove those Special Conditions? How? When? It's a wide subject. Besides the fact that you could Poison all your opponent's Bench and play a stall game until they all dai from Poisoning. Overall balance isn't that much out of standards, but something like Corrosion could be a little too complicated to apply as it is. But balance apart, Flame Burst tends to have a different effect in the cards, besides the fact it can't even burn.)

This card was actually not that bad, but the Ability is just too excentric for a game that's, in general terms, very straightforward.

Total: 35/50

11- @Scorched Feathers
MiniorHP90Fighting Type
Basic Pokémon

minior-core.png

[Ability] Shields Down
If this Pokémon has 4 or more damage counters on it, each of this Pokémon's attacks do 20 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance) and this Pokémon has no retreat cost.

[.] Starlight Signal
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. You may reveal a Trainer card you find there and put it into your hand. Shuffle the other cards back into your deck. This Pokémon does 10 damage to itself.

[F][C] Konpeito Bomb 20+
This attack does 30 more damage for each of your Benched Minior.

Weakness – Steel (x2)
Resistance – None
Retreat Cost – 1
Isn't a bit ironic that someone named "Scorched Feathers" makes a rock-type Pokémon?

(Shileds down is very nice, looks very similar to what I would have thought to be in the TCG, AND Starlight Signal is also interesting. Konpeito Bomb is almost a C/P from Passimian SM but with different cost, but overall, the card is not that bad in terms of originality.)
(To begin with, Retreat Cost goes with caps. And to finish off, you have nothing else wrong.
(This card is well balanced, it's like a nerfed down Passimian. You need 2 attachments to attack, less HP and Shields Down will rarely come in effect with such a fragile Pokémon.The 2 point deduction, however, is for the missing dex information and entry. Look out for those!)

So, I guess my attack on you was super effective? jk, though, it was a good card, just think a bit more outside the shell... and when it comes to me, I'll stop with the lame jokes as much as I can. :'v

12- @NinjaPenguin
Stage 1 ~ Evolves from Grimer Muk HP 100 Dark
089-a.png

Ability: Garbage Absorb
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a card from your hand. If you do, this Pokémon gets +20 HP.

[D][C] Dangerous Alchemy 20+
Each player discards one of their Benched Pokémon. If you discarded an Evolution Pokémon, this attack does 50 more damage.

Weakness: [F] x2 Resistance: [P] -20
Retreat Cost: [C][C]
Muk in Alola have developed an addiction to garbage. Their color changes based on the garbage they eat.
I wonder how high they were in Pokémon when they reworked Muk like this... xD

(I do have one concern with Garbage Absorb, I'll address that on another point, but it's actually really clever. And then Dangerous Alchemy is quite peculiar with the discarding, I like it.)
(Amost perfect, you just forgot that "one" is now written as "1".)
(the attack doesn't say until when the HP boost is applied. Until the end of your turn, or your opponent's, or your uncle's, or by March, or when Donald Trump becomes a rational and pensative human being. Political jokes aside, that's big. Not that much for balancing terms (which the card does amazingly), just that an actual card would either specify when to apply the boost or, otherwise, place a limit. You might think of Conkeldurr from NVI, yeah, it doesn't specify a timing, but the Energy remains attached always and regardless you end your turn or not. With that cost for the Ability, a timing should always be specified. 2 points for that and a 3rd one for the missing Dex HT/WT/N°.)

You know, I actually like this type of entries! Those you look at first and think it's not that remarkable but when looked even further they do this well! Keep it up!

Total: 44/50

13- @mirdo
(Basic) Delibird GX 120 HP [C]
Pok%C3%A9monsprite_225_XY.gif

Ability: Keep on giving
If this card recieves damage in any way, you may draw a card. If it´s been knocked out you may draw 2.

[C][C] Mischievous Gift
You may allow your opponent to draw up to 3 cards. For every card you allow him to draw in this way, this attack does 40 damage. If there is water energy attached to this Pokemon, do 60 each

[C] Secret Santa GX
Your opponent reveals his hand cards. You may choose a card you find there and switch it with one of his remaining price cards. Don't reveal them if they aren't already. Shuffle the price cards after.

When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)

Resistance: none

Retreat cost: none
Oh, a present? For me? Oh, that's nic- WAIT! S-Mod! SOMEONE IS BRIBING THE JUDGE!!!

Creativity: 20/20
(Despite the Wording catastrophe, the card effects are actually cool, I gotta admit. A very nice Ability, Mischievous Gift is amazingly clever and Secret Santa is actually funny! Your creative thinking really deserved a max Creativity.)
Wording: 0/15
(The Ability should be worded like Sharpedo and Pyukumuku SM, combined with Slurpuff PHF and Bisharp STS: "If this Pokémon is damaged by an opponent's attack [note: damage counters aren't considered being damaged, so that won't work for the Ability to trigger], you may draw a card. If this Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from an opponent's attack, you may draw 1 more card." Then, the attack should read "You may HAVE your opponent"; "this attack does 40 damage times the amonunt of cards your opponent draws this way to your opponent's Active Pokémon. If this Pokémon has any [W] Energy attached to it, this attack does 60 damage times the amonunt of cards your opponent draws this way to your opponent's Active Pokémon instead." And then Secret Santa GX woud go "Your opponent reveals THEIR hand", the reveal part should go in a parenthesis and the shuffle should say "afterward". You also forgot the GX attack clause, Retreat Cost go both in caps, and also should the Ability.)
Believability: 11/15
(Ability is not broken, specially since you're damaging a 120HP GX, so that's nice; and the GX attack is not broken or anything. I do am a bit concerned about the attack since it can be really strong if you use W Energy, so it's somewhat broken despite the low HP.)

The card overall was REALLY good, if it wasn't for the wording. That 31 could easily be a 46 with the proper wording. Do some more research on that and I'm sure you'll do well next time!

Total: 31/50

14- @Tails
Whimsicott GX - Fairy - HP: 200
Stage 1- Evolves from Cottonee

[C] Cotton Pickin’
Draw 2 cards

[F] Tiptoe Tackle
This attack does 30 damage to one of your Opponent’s Benched Pokemon (Do not apply Weakness and Resistance for this attack)

[F][C] Ultimate Mischief Attack GX
Rearrange all Energy cards and Damage Counters on your Opponents Pokemon in play (Active and Benched) in any way you like
(You can't use more than one GX attack per game)

Weakness – [M] x2
Resistance –
Retreat Cost – [C]
Pokemon GX Rule: When your Pokemon GX card is Knocked Out, your Opponent draws 2 Prize Cards.

“It rides on the wind and slips into people’s homes. After it has turned a room into a cotton-filled mess, it giggles to itself and takes off.”
Can't believe I missed this entry until very late, that's why it's down here xD Anyways, let's see what the living swab does:
Creativity: 13/20
(Well, those 2 first attacks aren't outstanding, they're very common. Ultimate Mischief is what I find more interesting.)
Wording: 10/15
(Tiptoe Tackle's text should match Passimian SM's Fling: "This attack does 30 damage to 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)". And then, Ultimate Mischief should be written like Mewostic FLF's attack: "Move as many Energy and damage counters on your opponent’s Pokémon as you like to any of your opponent’s other Pokémon in any way you like.". Also, "opponent's" is in lowercase. and "one" should be written as "1".)
Believability: 14/15
(This card is actually really trolly, I can see that happening anytime now! Attacks aren't OP or anything, it's a really balanced card! What I'm deducting you a point for is the Dex entry. GX shouldn't have those. :p)

Card was overall not bad, just be a bit more careful with the wording for next time.

Total: 37/50

15- @Vracken
Haunter – Psychic – HP70
Stage 1 – Evolves from Gastly

Shadowfell
Whenever your opponent would search their deck, they search only the top five cards of their deck instead.

[P] [C] Spooky Excavation
Discard any number of cards from your hand, then draw that many cards. Put damage counters on your opponent's Active Pokemon equal to the number of cards drawn this way.

Weakness: Dark (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: [C] [C]

Often playing a trickster, it is known for making people forget what they were looking for.
NO. 093 Gas Pokemon HT: 5’03’’ WT: 0.2 lbs.
This Haunter was so creepy that it startled itself and lost the "Ability:" text. Oh, darn, I'm scared I'll drop a low score myself now D:

(Shadowfell is a VERY interesting Ability, no doubt. And Spooky Excavation is actually rather cool as well, mixes both draw and a small damage output, I like it.)
(First the obvious, yeah, you forgot the "Ability" text. Whoops! But the only other thing I see is the missing accent on Pokémon. Nice.)
(I'm mixed... I mean, the card is between "balanced" and "broken", I'm just torn as to how in the middle... Shadowfell is punishing, yeah, but is it really THAT bad? I mean, of course, you're limiting you opponent's searches big time, but in a 70HP Stage 1... It's not ban-worthy broken, but not balanced either.)

So creepy I had to cry for a while. jk, it wasn't that bad, Vracken, keep it up!

So the final placings are...

3rd Place: rainyman123’s filthy Grimer and thegrovylekid’s vengeful Mimikyu, with 43/50 points.
2nd Place: NinjaPenguin's melted Muk, with 44/50 points.
1st Place: QuakingPunch73's prismatic Necrozma, scoring 45/50 points.

Congrats to all the winners! See ya on March!

mirdo

Seagull Overlord and Business Entrepreneur
ayy i was the only one to get all the points for creativity. Thats all i wanted :p

I'll work on my wording and in march I will be a worthy contestent. In hindsight i should have worded it way better. Oh well.

Will rek ya'll next time :p

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Ouch on the points but I agree. I had no idea about all the other little placements though my idea for Nectar Set was to prevent players from putting the same Oricorio in play and gaining their effects but I agree with the score. It's things to keep in mind for this month! I should do more research on faking but I just like making pretty cards.