PokéBeach Create-A-Card: April 2014 - Stage 1 (Congrats MTC, Neko, and Spoon!)

RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card: April 2014 - Stage 1

I know I'll be docked points. :p
My reasoning is that I can't hit perfect with an unfinished card anyway, and it would surely be less than -2 points as is.

Alright, just let me know when you do it.

debugs said:
Delta said:
Posting a reminder that copying even another card's text counts as plagiarism. This breaks PokéBeach's rules, is frowned upon and is, above all else, illegal.

So you can't copy the Pokemon's description?

You can because it's treated as fact and is there to make a card more genuine. It's the same as using the species, height and weight entries.

Welp, figure I might as well enter! :D

Kadabra HP80 [P]

Stage 1 -- Evolves from Abra

NO. 064 Psy Pokemon HT. 4'03" WT. 124.6 lbs.

Ability: Wonder Room
If either player's active Pokemon has a Resistance, swap that type with that Pokemon's Weakness.

[P] Telekinesis

Choose a type. The Defending Pokemon now has that type as its Resistance. If it already has a Resistance, replace it with the type you choose. If the Defending Pokemon does not have a Resistance, that Pokemon's Resistance is whatever type you chose -20.

[P][C][C] Psychic 30+

Does 20 more damage for each Energy attached to the Defending Pokemon.

Weakness: [D] Resistance: [P] Retreat: [C][C]

It is rumored that a boy with psychic abilities suddenly transformed into Kadabra while he was assisting research into extrasensory powers.

So I figured everyone hates Darkrai / Yveltal, and with Alakazam, you can OHKO Darkrai with Psychic. Or you can run Sigilyph and thoroughly ruin their day. Meanwhile you can run Terrakion EX to not only power up Alakazam, but OHKO their Yveltal. You can also run it in decks like RayBoar where you would, instead of lose to Baby Rayquaza, swap your Weakness to Dragon, to no Weakness at all. Also nice in Blastoise and other decks that don't have Resistances and weaknesses to popular decks in the format to have Resistances instead of Weaknesses to their Autolosses.

Plus, if you really want to kill that Pokemon, you can give them a Resistance (or in Kadabra's case, Weakness) of Psychic and just Psychic them for the KO. I also made it to where he trolls Darkrai even more by resisting him inside his ability while being weak to Sigilyph and Mewtwo, while outside his ability, weak to him. So Garbodor basically ruins your fun, but that kind of goes with most decks nowadays.

(Kadabra needs love.)

Reminder: All submissions must be in by 11:00 PM EST April 26th (tomorrow)!

Kecleon-X said:
Welp, figure I might as well enter! :D

Kadabra HP80 [P]

If either player's active Pokemon has a Resistance, swap that type with that Pokemon's Weakness.

[P] Telekinesis

Choose a type. The Defending Pokemon now has that type as its Resistance. If it already has a Resistance, replace it with the type you choose. If the Defending Pokemon does not have a Resistance, that Pokemon's Resistance is whatever type you chose -20.

[P][C][C] Psychic 30+

It is rumored that a boy with psychic abilities suddenly transformed into Kadabra while he was assisting research into extrasensory powers.

So I figured everyone hates Darkrai / Yveltal, and with Alakazam, you can OHKO Darkrai with Psychic. Or you can run Sigilyph and thoroughly ruin their day. Meanwhile you can run Terrakion EX to not only power up Alakazam, but OHKO their Yveltal. You can also run it in decks like RayBoar where you would, instead of lose to Baby Rayquaza, swap your Weakness to Dragon, to no Weakness at all. Also nice in Blastoise and other decks that don't have Resistances and weaknesses to popular decks in the format to have Resistances instead of Weaknesses to their Autolosses.

Plus, if you really want to kill that Pokemon, you can give them a Resistance (or in Kadabra's case, Weakness) of Psychic and just Psychic them for the KO. I also made it to where he trolls Darkrai even more by resisting him inside his ability while being weak to Sigilyph and Mewtwo, while outside his ability, weak to him. So Garbodor basically ruins your fun, but that kind of goes with most decks nowadays.

(Kadabra needs love.)

Damn you, [mod]Kecleon-X[/mod], now I have to alter the whole draft I had all set for tomorrow!! :( I mean... :p Thanks, I'll add it to the draft and judge it right now.

Ice Arceus said:
Reminder: All submissions must be in by 11:00 PM EST April 26th (tomorrow)!

Is EST Time equal to GMT-8? Because if it's that or even lesser I can post the results right on the deadline.

Alright, everyone, all the results(both Text and Image-Based) are drafted and ready to be posted! Wait for them tomorrow Sunday April 26th, at noon(GMT -6), OR 2:00p.m. EST. [smod]Ice Arceus[/smod], if you'd like to see the results beforehand for any reason, just PM me and I'll send them to you.

Can I still enter? Because it's not 11:00PM EST. I live in that time zone and it's 10:34PM.

cacTogetic.png

Credits:
Kipine
Aschefield101
Karite-Kita-Neko

And I realize that I shouldn't even be posting this close to the deadline and I apologize in advance for that.

You're actually on time, Momaster... In time to screw Feathers and making him Judge another card... XD I'll wait for his judging on your card and then post the results. But DO try not to post so late. I know, it's a deadline and you can post anytime before that, but as I said some pages before: the earlier you submit, the earlier we finish and the earlier we can move into the next month.

OK, because I can't count fuses, me and Delta lost the deadline. I'll go hide under a rock, cyall.

._.
-Delta

Momaster makes judging late, I just got back and stuffs so expect it later on today or tomorrow I feel.

PB Create-A-Card: April 2014 - Stage 1 Text Based Results:

So it's results time!!!!

Text Based:

The King of all Fletchlings said:
Stage 1 - Meowstic - HP90 - Psychic
Evolves from Espurr
meowstic.gif

No. 678 Constraint Pokémon HT: 2' 00" WT: 18.7 lbs.

SF-Ability
Mewscreen
Your opponent can't play any Trainer cards from his or her hand that would affect your Benched Pokémon.

TCGMind
TCGWhite
Earshot
Put 4 damage counters on one of your opponent's Pokémon.

Weakness:
TCGMind
(×2) Resistance:
TCGRock
(-20) Retreat: ★
When in danger, it raises its ears and releases enough psychic power to grind a 10-ton truck to dust.
001/SF-P

Ok, I honestly believe you used Meowstic either because:
a) Couldn't use Fletchling or Espurr.
b) Lost a bet to KoN.

But on the actual card:

Creativity/Originality: 19/20pts
I love how the Ability works, really interesting, tough only one thing bugs me: Item-lock of some sort is now very common... But still, not a common attack, I see that, and also that unique Fighting resistance is nice, so way to go!

Wording: 13/15pts
The card is perfectly fine written, but the Ability, though, it's kind of comfusing in terms of loopholes: Tool Scrapper could go through because it can discard the Active's tool. Escape Rope will as well because it affects the Active before the Benched... It really stops a few cards such as Lysandre, Pokémon Catcher, Surprise Megaphone, Hammers... It's a bit confusing, actually. And I won't dock any points from this, but, is it supposed to be Meowscreen? I just think that's where you were going.

Believability/Playability: 15/15pts
I like how this card is balanced enough to actually be part of any set; I might actually like it better as Flasfire's Meowstic TBH, and part of that balance is because of that oddity the Ability has that doesn't stop that many cards, so I'd buy it(only as a Holo, though, I love Holos... XD)

Nice card overall, Feathers, too bad it's not into the contest though. u.u

Total Score: 47/50pts
Rocket Power's Reggie said:
[Stage 1] Duosion HP 70 [P]
duosion.gif

[Ability] Selfless Sacrafice
Once during your turn (before your attack) If Solosis or Reuniclus is in your hand, you may discard it. If you do, your Active Pokémon's attacks do 60 more damage.

[P][C] Mind Drive 30x
Does 30 damage times the amount of [P] energy attached to this Pokémon.

Weakness: [D] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: C

Wow, a Dousion! Right when I thought that everyone would be making non-evolving Stage 1s like, well, Roselia and such... XD Let's get to it:

The card itself is really creative, that's an Ability I don't recall seeing recently, or something similar to that, at least. And the attack hasn't been used in those exact terms, but giving the chance to hit XX times Energy attached in so many cards it's just, although somewhat powerful, boring... But it's just one point there, good work on there.

Wording: 12/15pts
Here and Balance is where this cards plummels down, sadly. First of all, you missed the "evolves from" clause, so some points for that. And also, but not point deductive since it's just a small error, is that you wrote Sacrafice instead of Sacrifice, so it's just a heads up for you to be more cautious on that. But the real deal,which I dock another point for, is the Ability. I, as a BW/XY card(they are both almost identical, TBH), think it would be:

Ability said:
[Ability] Selfless Sacrifice
Once during your turn (before your attack), if you have a Solosis or Duosion in your hand, you may reveal it. If you do, your Active Pokémon's attacks do 60 more damage. Then, discard the Pokémon you revealed.
That would make it more accurate for BW terms (Reference:Audino BCR).

Believability/Playability: 10/15pts
I don't know if you meant this, but that Duosion, as it's written, it's EXTREMELY Over Powered. Why? You missed the "to the Defending Pokémon/your opponent's Active Pokémon" and the "You may not use an Ability with the same name during your turn" clauses. Without them, Minun DRX/LTR, with one energy, will be effectively doing a whopping 130 Damage to each of your opponent's Pokémon(don't say Mime...) if you set up 2 Duosion and discard the other 2 Solosis/Duosion you may have in your deck... MINUN!!! Imagine that with Froslass PLB, Weezing PLS, KYUREM NVI, FOR PITY'S SAKE!!! It's EXTREMELY broken, sadly, Reggie, so... The not that big amount of points you lose are merely because it's not THAT easy to pull off effectively, but it's doable, and by doing that 2 times in a row, you literally sweep your opponent's entire field without any draw back.

I really liked that new concept, Reggie, but please, PLEASE take a better look next time about those little big details. Best of luck next month, don't you dare to quit(again) for this, alright?! ;)

Total Score: 41/50pts
The Dreadful said:
Kirlia 80 HP [P]
Stage 1 Pokémon - Evolves from Ralts

Poké-Power : Forced Identity
Whenever you attach either a [P], [F] or [Y] energy card from your hand to Kirlia, you may search for a card that evolves from Kirlia that is the same type as the Energy card you attached to Kirlia. (This counts as evolving Kirlia). Shuffly your deck afterward. This power can't be used when you attach an Energy card to Kirlia as part of an attack's effect.

[C][C] Graceful Dance
Flip a coin, if head choose 1 card from your opponent's hand (without looking) and put it on the bottom of your opponent's deck. If tails, draw 2 cards from the bottom of your deck.

weakness - [P]
resistance - [-]
retreat cost - [C]

Well, a Kirlia. That means he won because my favorite is Gallade. End of Story. Period. XD Just kidding, let's get to it:

Amazing attack, it's really interesting that you draw from the bottom of your deck. The only thing I dock a point for it's merely because it reminds me a lot to EX Unseen Forces's Eevee, but it's overall a nice thought. Nice!

There's just 2 mistakes I noticed on the card: The first one is that you forgot "(...)you may search your deck for a card(...)"on the Ability; and that there should be a period after "Flip a coin" in the attack.

This card should pass as an authentic Kirlia card. The only thing that MIGHT give it off is that Kirlia, in that time, didn't go beyond 70HP, but it's not lik a 50HP difference. Amazing work, Drac, keep it up!

The Four Armed Menace said:
Stage 1 / Mightyena // HP90 [D]
261.png
Evolves from Poochyena
262_2.png

NO. 262 Bite Pokémon HT: 3'03" WT: 81.6lbs

[Ability] Bide
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may use this Ability. Your turn ends. During your next turn, your Pokemon's attacks do 60 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokemon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

[D][C][C] Turmoil 90
Your opponent reveals his or her hand. If there are no Supporter cards found there, this attack does nothing.

weakness [F] X2
resistance [P] -20
retreat [C]

It will always obey the commands of a skilled Trainer. Its behavior arises from its living in packs in ancient times.

Well, there are actually no comments besides that I always expected Mightyena to have more HP, but well. XD Let's see:

Creativity/Originality: 20/20pts
Unique attack, unique Ability, both very creative and interesting. Not a lot to say here neither, TBH. Besides good job, of course.

Wording: 14/15pts
Well, even though is a minor detail. you missed the accented "é" in Pokémon in all but in the Species(Copy/Paste, anyone?), so a point goes there. And I don't know, but the only other flaw in wording might be that "found there" part. I feel that it might be replaced with "in there" to be more in touch with BW/XY wording. but since the closest reference to that would be PLS's Rotom, there's no point in dock from that. You found a loophole, Machamp, nice. :p

Well, I don't see why it shouldn't be a part of an upcoming expansion, it's really nicely done, Machamp. Kudos. If it wasn't for that accented "é", it would have been a perfect score, but it's good nonetheless!

Total Score: 49/50pts
The Dark Knight said:
[C] Diggersby 110 HP
Stage 1 (evolves from Bunnelby)
diggersby.gif

Ability: Doing The Dirty Work
This Pokémon's attacks do 10 more damage for each [F] Energy attached to it.

[C] Quick Attack -- 20
[C][C][C] Rofl-Stomp -- 50
Discard a random card from your opponent's hand. If that card was a Pokémon, draw a prize card.
W: [W] R: [L] Retreat: [C][C]

With their powerful ears, they can heft boulders of a ton or more with ease. They can be a big help at construction sites.

Dat Diggersby, tho... XD But in all seriousness, PLEASE don't use that extremely smalll font on attacks, it's tiring to read... e.e I'll change that for every reader's sake, but the card will remain untouched. Ok, now that I did the Dirty Work for you, let's judge:

It has to be one of the most creative cards I've seen in a long time. Dat Ability... Dat Attack... Dat Weakness... Dat Resistance... DAT DIGGERSBY THO!!!!!! lol, good work.

Wording: 15/15pts
Well, the heading is perfect, nothing wrong with the attacks, or the effects... Oh, and you fixed the W/R/R... that I originally docked 2 points for. XDDDDD Nice job, though. :p

Believability/Playability: 14/15pts
There's a reason (2, actually, but I'll get to it) why I dock a point there: It's slightly OP. There's always the chance your opponent has a Pokémon card in hand, specially after you used an N, or something like that to reset or enlarge your opponent's hand. Getting a Prize in that instance would make everyone play it undoubtedly, because getting a Prize without even taking a KO is BIG. Combine this with the upcoming Hand Scope and it's certain if it's a free Prize or not. Maybe putting in a flip after the discarding part would do it, something like this:
He Didn't said:
[C][C][C] Rofl-Stomp 50
Discard a random card from your opponent's hand. If that card was a Pokémon, flip a coin. If heads, draw a prize card.
I'll dock only one point because it's not 100% perfect(just like a Mewtwo-EX would have scored back when NXD came out), so it's not that bad.
And a minimal thing, which I'm willing to pass because you never know, is that BW/XY Cards don't usually have 3 Attack/Ability "boxes". That vanilla 20 attack is kind of unnecessary, really, but it can appear anytime now.
But you did nice with Dat Diggesby, tho, don't be dissapointed. ;)

Edit Penalty: -2pts

The Ninja Mod said:
Kadabra HP80 [P]

[P] Telekinesis

[P][C][C] Psychic 30+

Well, I do agree Kadabra needs love, too bad Uri Geller ruined it for everybody... TT.TT. But oh, well, let's get to it now:

Well, I gotta give it to you, it's one very creative entry, here. To mess up Weakness and Resistance is actually something I NEVER saw coming, so, nice work!

Docking only 2 points for 2 reasons: First, the missing accented "é" on Pokémon. And second, it's that the Ability, even though is somewhat fine, it can be reworded to some easier way to be understood:
TCPi Could Have said:
Each Active Pokémon's (both yours and your opponent's) Weakness is now its Resistance instead(apply -20 instead of x2). If either of those Pokémon had a Resistance before using this Ability, use that Resistance as its new Weakness (apply x2 instead of -20).
Something around there would have made more sense, but it's still good!

Believability/Playability: 13/15pts
Even though it's a somewhat gimmicky card at first sight, it's actually a massively confusing card. Imagine a game, or tournament, where everyone played Kadabra except for you:
  • Grass Types(except for new ones) weak to Water(would make sense only for Ice Types, but still...).
  • Metal and Dark(a heavily played type) would be weak to Psychic, making Mewtwo-EX the Yveltal Slayer.
  • Fire, Water, Psychic, Fighting, Dragon and non-Flying Colorless with no Weakness(And Water having 3 different Resistances).
At least I would :ragequit: and :tableflip: the whole day, TBH, it's kind of messed up. So much that I really can't see this thing as a real card, sadly. And there's also the "3 text box" deal KoN had as well, but I'll pass it as I said above.
Nice work, Kecleon, I actually liked this card a lot, but it's too bad it would turn our brains into blenders... :p

Total Score: 46/50pts
So, the positions are as follows:
4th Place: Reggie McGigas with his spreading plague of Duosion, scoring 41/50 points.
3rd Place: The Ninja Mod [mod]Kecleon-X[/mod] with his brain-twisting and controversial Kadabra, scoring 46/50 points.
2nd Place: A tie between GM DracLord, dancing along Kirlia, and Keeper of Night with Dat Diggersby, tho. scoring 47/50 points. *Scorched Feathers would have tied here as well with his Meowstic*,
1st Place: The wrongly pictured(lol) Mightyena, property of Machamp The Champion with a near perfect 49/50 points!

Image Based:

Heavenly Spoon
stx6yhE.png

Your card is certainly very creative, Spoon, with the Poké-BODY being my favourite part. It's not often that Pokémon have things to do with Stadiums, the Confusion part is a nice touch too. It also has that poisoning attack, which is seemingly designed to counter big Stage 2 Pokémon. I believe the wording's good too.

Creativity/Originality: 19/20
Wording: 15/15
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
Believability/Playability: 5/5
Total: 48/50
Athena & PMJ
IPfvU2l.png

PARALYSIS PARALYSIS EVERYWHERE
...well then.
Both attacks give paralysis, which I'm not a big fan of, and I'd lower the second attack's damage a mite, since it does auto-paralyze, which is something incredibly hard to balance. Stopping you from attacking is good, since it 100% stops you from getting round it. W/R/R and HP seem good too, but I'm not sure on the placement of that "You". Seems right though. Also Thena art p>

Believability/Playability: 4/5
Total: 47/50
Nekoban Ryo
mothim_fake_card_by_karite_kita_neko-d7cy72j.png

All the moths all the time :eek:
That power's interesting, there's really nothing to compare it to. I would word it like this though.
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may move all [G] Energy attached to Mothim and your Wormadam in any way you like between those Pokemon.
It can go either way, however. I love the theme of them both being used, as well. I feel like the placement's a little off, but that's it.
Believability/Playability: 5/5
Total: 48/50
Momaster12
cacTogetic.png

Right then...
OHGOD AUTOPARALYZE ABORT
Other than that, the ability is missing "reveal them", and "paralyzed" should be capitalized. The "Evolves from Togepi" is also a little scrunched, but other than that, it's pretty balanced tbh :/ The ability is quite like Roseanne's Research, as well.
Wording: 13/15
Believability/Playability: 3/5
Total: 44/50
So, positions:
3rd Place: Momaster12 with his Togetic, with 44/50pts.
2nd Place: the Athena & PMJ team with their Paralysis Addict Dragonair, hitting 47/50pts.
1st Place: A TIE at 48/50pts between Heavenly Spoon with Venomoth and Nekoban Ryo's Mothim (you ended up tying, what was all that discussion about?! XD).

Congratulations to all of the entrants, it was a very fun round to judge, as well as a very competent one with all scoring at least 41!!! I hope to see everyone next month scoring over 45! (although there would be a lot of ties, but, meh...) And spread the word so it's get a bit more competitive... again... XD[/hr]

Last edited by a moderator:

In retrospect, the move could have been only for basics maybe.
Either way, I've already addressed the font to you.

Drac scored 46... how does he tie with me and kepper?
omg our war will never end KoN KoN D:

Scorched Feathers said:

Drac... scored... 47... XD

Another month, another horrible score, another low result, another hour wasted off of minor wording errors.

I'll be happy to judge next month. If I'm not judging then don't expect me to enter next month. It's not worth hoping for 3 weeks that your entry will do good when it sucks without you realizing it. Sorry for my rant but I just needed to get that out of my system. I've been trying for 12 months and to not win once is heartbreaking ;-;

Reggie McGigas said:
Another month, another horrible score, another low result, another hour wasted off of minor wording errors.

I'll be happy to judge next month. If I'm not judging then don't expect me to enter next month. It's not worth hoping for 3 weeks that your entry will do good when it sucks without you realizing it. Sorry for my rant but I just needed to get that out of my system. I've been trying for 12 months and to not win once is heartbreaking ;-;

Well, Reggie, you could have easily won. Like I told you before, they are just careless mistakes. The next month(I'll sneak into your house and choke you if you don't participate, because you have potential), try not to post in the very first chance you have. Take a week or two to people to comment about your future entry in your own thread and then post it after giving it some fine-tuning. I can almost assure you that if you do that, your score will fly up like there's no tomorrow,

And also, if [smod]Ice Arceus[/smod] is okay with that, I'd like to continue judging for next month. :D I really liked it, and it also keeps me busy for a while. :p

Well, there are actually no comments besides that I always expected Mightyena to have more HP, but well. XD Let's see:
http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/?cardName=mightyena&cardText=&evolvesFrom=&simpleSubmit=&format=unlimited&hitPointsMin=0&hitPointsMax=200&retreatCostMin=0&retreatCostMax=5&totalAttackCostMin=0&totalAttackCostMax=10&particularArtist=
(The only one there with more than 90HP is Mightyena ex.

1 accent e away from a perfect score. Darn. I didn't copy and paste the info, I just forgot to look for accent e's in the attack and ability text, since I wrote all of that a while before deciding to use Mightyena as my Pokemon. I took the "found there" text from Ghetsis.

Congrats to everyone on their entries! I liked pretty much all of them. If not for the pitiful attendance, this would've been a great month.

Luispipe8 said:
Scorched Feathers said:

Drac... scored... 47... XD

pfft you altered that
Anyway, I think I won't judge next month, I don't feel like I did a great job to be honest with you, but if you need me, just ask~

Back