PM899's Graphic Emporium [UPDATE! 6/12/11]

pokemeister899

VM if you want to play ACNL with me!
RULES
1. Give credit if using.
2. DO NOT steal my work or rip it.
3. Don't ask for requests here, I work in The Community Shop for stuff like that.
4. Don't use ones I say not to use. Anything else you can use.
5. Give constructed feedback, like "Its not too good, I would try [recommend thing here]" and not like "OMG THIS SUCKS"

BANNERS

darkrai_tag_by_shinyblaze-d35l6h1.png

gfx_showdown__1_by_shinyblaze-d35l7qr.png

pokemaister899.png
Don't use please!

torterror.png

lugia_tag_by_shinyblaze-d355wah.png

team_cypher_tag_by_shinyblaze-d369goo.png

sharpedo_tag_by_shinyblaze-d3691ww.png

blaziken_tag_by_shinyblaze-d369wk9.png
Don't use please!

vincent_sig_2_by_shinyblaze-d36nmkm.png
Don't use please!

batmansig.png

charizardsig.png

gengarsig.png

tidussig.png

darkraisig.png

typhoon.png

mudkips.png

sb-1.png

murdervii.png

TUTORIALS

Logo Tutorial

RE: PM899's Graphic Emporium

The images don't blend with the background. You need to pick better ones on most, or add fancy bits like on my fake cards.

Please be a bit more friendly with your criticism ~ JC

Ouch.... Chiraami that's harsh!
Anyway, harsh but true, you need to make the images blend in with the background, use better images I still see white stuff around the outlines, which shouldn't be there.
For example, the lightning one with the Charmander and Pikachu, the lightning doesn't fit in with the images and both Charmander and Pikachu have white stuff around the outlines, use better images and better backgrounds and your banners will be much better!
But it is good for a beginner, if I were you, I would start thinking about what I have just said ;).

The backgrounds are sub-par, with even fundamental issues like unwanted tiling present. The blending isn't seamless as evident from the white artifacts around the pokemon.

pokemaister899 since you are now using Gimp, you should exploit its alpha channel support. The white artifacts shouldn't be present anymore. As for backgrounds, either design your own (if you're into abstract gfx like 99.99% of the banner designers here), or google for something better. For FG/BG blending, Gimp has blend modes in its layers like multiply, screen, etc, use them to effect. Eg. screen blend + gaussian blur + raised contrast = easy bloom fx

Well, to be fair, it's true.

If you really want I'll say that'youre getting somewhere.'

haha I'm that 0.01% that uses proper backgrounds :p

But yeah man I've already commented on these in the MD topic

That one is nice, though I would suggest you go the the tab called color> then color balance. Then it could be one color if you want it to be. The green really doesn't need to be there but really nice. :)

That ones nice. I would say make the text color a white-ish color so we can read it better. Also, in the background, the flow is up and down. I would suggest you making it sideways, just to go with the flow. :)

The fonts are too bright for the background, or too dark on most ones. They're the unnatural MS Paint basic styles mostly and those looks ghastly on other colours. So if you tome them down a bit or a lot, you can get variety of colours.

And try some effects on the images. It looks on most you've got a KS art or some from Arkeis or Google Images and slapped it onto a background. The effects sort show more life in it.

So I'm sure if you do all those things they'll get better, okay?

PokeFanJosh said:
haha I'm that 0.01% that uses proper backgrounds

Well technically a "proper" background is not something you can really describe in general, it's always a case by case basis depending on what suits the particular work you're doing. That's why stuff like colour palette and blend modes become issues to take into consideration ;)

It's not something easy to grasp. I've seen people who can pull it off at the age of 17, but it was much later than that for me (although that's also largely because I wasn't into art when I was 17).

Inspiration can really catalyse the learning process though.

Chiraami said:
The fonts are too bright for the background, or too dark on most ones. They're the unnatural MS Paint basic styles mostly and those looks ghastly on other colours. So if you tome them down a bit or a lot, you can get variety of colours.

And try some effects on the images. It looks on most you've got a KS art or some from Arkeis or Google Images and slapped it onto a background. The effects sort show more life in it.

So I'm sure if you do all those things they'll get better, okay?

Bold 1: Umm, they're not.
Bold 2: Ill think that over, but it looks like it has life in it already.

I think what chiramii was trying to say about the font is not so much about literally looking like something done by MS paint, but rather, something that doesn't fit in a chromatic sense. The saturated blue wording is way too glaring. White would have been better IMO. Rule of thumb: if you can't get a complimentary colour, go for neutral.

Thanks, XierH. That's precisely what I meant.

To me the banners look dull and static, despite what they may look like to you.

The backgrounds are nice but.. The render isn't part of the background... It's like its just copied and pasted on top of the background.. Here is how I blend my render most of the time... Eraser... With a soft brush.. Not sure if Gimp has it... I think it should though..

Yeah, the fonts are a bit to poppy and take away from the render. Like most GFX artists, I assume that you strive for the image or render to be the focal point of your banner or avatar. Well, unfortunately the background and font are a bit distracting on most and take away quite a bit from the Pokemon. On the other hand, there are some cases where due to the background the text is almost unreadable. Avoid using dark font color when you're working with a dark background, but at the same time don't put a big, yellow font on top of a black font unless the purpose is to make the text stand out/look more 'poppy'.

Back