Pilotwings Resort

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
Pilotwings Resort is a FANTASTIC game. Honestly, I completely love it.

IGN gave it a 7. I would give it an 8.5, and I'll explain why.

When my brother and I picked up Wii Sports Resort we jumped right into Flying. We completely loved/love it. We had a blast finding all of the waypoints, and we also loved Wuhu Island.

Now, when I heard there would be a game completely based off of the Flying mode in Wii Sports Resort, I freaked out.

One of the negative aspects of IGN's review was that it felt recycled. Yes, it's recycled, but that should be a positive. Aside from adding a Jetpack and Hang Glider (which they failed to mention), there are new waypoints on the island and new locations to visit. On top of that, the entire game is in 3D, which is honestly incredible. Pilotwings Resort is an amazing example of what the 3DS can do.

The graphics are absolutely stunning, 3D or not, and the gameplay is crisp and flawless.

The game has two modes, a mission mode and a free flight. I love free flight, personally, because it's the mode where you fly around Wuhu and collect waypoints. Even after exploring Wuhu Island thoroughly on the Wii, I was honestly thrilled to do it again. The waypoints can be extremely easy and very challenging to find and collect. This adds a touch of difficulty among the easier ones, which is a nice balance.

Another great aspect of free flight is the two minute time limit. This prevents the game from becoming monotonous and boring, and really assures that you use your time wisely.

Mission mode rocks, but it's hard. There are four (I think) grades you can earn. Bronze is the first and Platinum is the best. For each grade you need to beat two missions for each aircraft (airplane, jetpack, hang glider). They all increase in difficulty as you continue to (hopefully :)) beat them.

Now, BlueEyedSteelix, why not a 10? You seem to completely love this game... yes, I really do. However, this game lacks multiplayer. I just feel that this game would have been a ton more fun if it had multiplayer. HOWEVER, do not skip out on this game because of that. This game will give you hours of entertainment, and it really shows what the 3DS can do. I really do love it, and have been playing it for 3 hours straight since I got it.

My final score is 8.5. Feel free to share your score here. Also, feel free to ask me any questions about the game or the 3DS. :)

God bless,
BlueEyedSteelix

TheGuy

Member since '09
This is a very great game, I probably would have given it a score similar to yours. The 3D is great and the way points are very fun to find (Just got to 62/75). The missions are kind of boring and bland to me. While you like the two minute limit in Free Flight mode, I hate it. It would much rather the 5 minute limit like on the Wii. The far island with the golf course takes about 1:15-1:30 to get to at top speed and using boosts. There is just not enough time to search the island for way points. It could have been better to maybe make a way to change how long you are out though.

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
I'm at 69/75 waypoints. I'd love to help you if you need it, and vice versa. :)

Yes, the 2 minutes does get in the way of the distant locations. That did annoy me as well. I've heard that the time eventually gets extended... is that true?

I still love the game. I'm still playing it. :)

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
I also hope you both know that you can extend your play time to 5 minutes per Free Flight. Every 20 balloons popped gets you 30 extra seconds. =)

I give the game a 7/10. I really like it, but it's kind of bland. =(

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
Emeralds, I do realize that. I'm glad that they based it so heavily off Wii Sports Resort.

SotS, DUDE, I was about to post that! I just found my first 20 balloons... this should help me find the 6 waypoints I'm missing. :)

By the way, does anyone know how to make the transparent balloons tangible?

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
You have to use a different type of vehicle to pop the transparent balloons. =)

I love the better form of Glider, it's music is awesome lol. (Don't want to "spoil" what it is *shifty eyes*)

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
Ah yes I did figure that out. I'm only missing one damn balloon with the glider... UGH!

Yes the... "better form" is cool, and I too love the music! :)

I still love the "better form" of the airplane. It gets the job done fast!

ALSO, if anyone needs help with waypoints, I just finished finding all of them today. I'd be glad to help you find some, as a lot of them are relatively challenging.