• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Phat Ratz! (winter coat edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow, I derped hard and forgot Marshadow doesn't copy abilities. Scratch that, but do keep the rest in mind

That’s why I run Max Potion over Acerola, space is already tight and Max Potion is searchable via Item Maniac in extreme cases or an early game emergency slap patch.

Going testing at a tourney later today!

Edit:

Gonna try out the Magcargo engine, and swap Mow out for Hammers today.

With Psychic Rotom/Mr. Mime, would Spell Tag be better than Poison Barb? I really want to try that out.

Going testing at a tourney later today!

Edit:

Gonna try out the Magcargo engine, and swap Mow out for Hammers today.

With Psychic Rotom/Mr. Mime, would Spell Tag be better than Poison Barb? I really want to try that out.
YES, but if you feel like your other Rotoms need Tools also, go for Poison Barb. Or, do a split. (I don’t reccommend the split, it doesn’t end up working out 9 times out of 10.)

Here’s the list I’m going to be testing out:

Phat Ratz v2.1

Pokemon:17

2 Alolan Rattata
3 Alolan Raticate-GX
1 Frost Rotom
1 Heat Rotom
1 Fan Rotom
3 Rotom (psychic)
1 Rotom (lightning)
1 Slugma
1 Magcargo
1 Marshadow
1 Oranguru
1 Ditto Prism Star

Items:32

4 Ultra Ball
3 Acro Bike
3 Adventure Bag
3 Bodybuilding Dumbbells
3 Escape Board
3 Max Potion
3 Spell Tag
2 Choice Band
2 Enhanced Hammer
2 Nest Ball
2 Weakness Polioy
1 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher

Supporters:8

3 Sightseer
3 Sophocles
2 Guzma

Stadiums:3

3 Shrine of Punishment

Well, tonight was unexpected, got sucker punched by it having been decided to go unsanctioned so Team Up could be played, my matchups included Tool Drop and Pika/Zekrom, I was annihilated by the latter, and managed to slog ahead in the prize trade against Tool Drop, but I was completely unprepared for either and was having to think on my feet the entire night, there was a Shuckle player but he oddly was not running the GX version.

Here's mine it needs a lot of help honestly, but I call it RatRace it's meant to be set up quick and win quick!
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 2 Oranguru SUM 113
* 4 Alolan Rattata CES 84
* 4 Alolan Raticate-GX CES 85
* 3 Alolan Sandshrew GRI 19
* 2 Alolan Sandslash UPR 29

##Trainer Cards - 45

* 3 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 3 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 4 Acerola BUS 112
* 3 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 2 Escape Rope PLS 120
* 2 Apricorn Maker CES 124
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 Bodybuilding Dumbbells BUS 113
* 4 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Lillie UPR 125
* 2 Super Scoop Up SLG 66
* 2 Devoured Field CIN 93
* 3 Great Ball SUM 119
* 4 Max Potion GRI 128

##Energy - 0

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

When I first saw the promo get revealed, I thought about a deck like this, too, but by the time we got it here in the TCG, we had Rotoms, which helped its type coverage and damage output. But now, if you’re up against things like Sylveon, Granbull or Gardevoir, or anything else that might take advantage of Wondrous Labyrinth, you will be completely locked out if you can’t deal with it. The Rotoms get around that, but with that in mind, September will axe quite a few tools with so many of them being from GUR-BUS, but I’ve already switched to Spell Tag, and I will be grabbing Secret Hood and Abandoned Power Plant to help me deal with Alolan Muk and Shuckle-GX, etc.

EDIT:

Running 2 Oranguru, have you thought about using Magcargo? I don’t much care for it in my build, but you’re not running Rotoms so your only setup seems make Raticate and start swinging, and the Magcargo with Oranguru lets you get whatever you need each turn as you start running low on cards, Smooth Over to “topdeck” whatcha need then Instruct it to your hand.

EDIT:

Running 2 Oranguru, have you thought about using Magcargo? I don’t much care for it in my build, but you’re not running Rotoms so your only setup seems make Raticate and start swinging, and the Magcargo with Oranguru lets you get whatever you need each turn as you start running low on cards, Smooth Over to “topdeck” whatcha need then Instruct it to your hand.

That's an excellent idea.

After some more testing, I’m trying this list out, what do you guys think?

Pokemon:16

3 Alolan Rattata
3 Alolan Raticate
3 Rotom (psychic)
1 Rotom (lightning)
1 Heat Rotom
1 Fan Rotom
1 Oranguru
1 Marshadow
1 Mr. Mime
1 Jirachi

Items:32

4 Escape Board
4 Ultra Ball
3 Acro Bike
3 Adventure Bag
3 Bodybuilding Dumbbells
3 Max Potion
3 Spell Tag
2 Choice Band
2 Nest Ball
2 Weakness Policy
1 Enhanced Hammer
1 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher

Supporters:9

3 Sightseer
3 Sophocles
2 Guzma
1 Cynthia

Stadiums:3

3 Shrine of Punishment

I am concerned about this deck going forward though, it can’t keep pace with the new PikaRom tag team, and others are teching baby Buzz to deal with it, which hits Raticate for weakness if I can’t get Policy live on it fast enough.

I’m starting to consider swapping the 3 Max Potion for 3 Acerola. To me they both have their pros and cons. Max Potion doesn’t require moving my Pokemon off the board, and as an Item card is searchable via Item Maniac and doesn’t interfere with a non-established board, as my primary discard outlets are Sophocles and Sightseer, aside from Raticate himself.

Acerola, as a Supporter, can be recycled via Pal Pad for Jirachi/Magcargo shenanigans, but on a board I’m building, can get in the way of that. But at the same time that effect can both free up a bench slot and free up an attached tool to either attach to a new/better target or make it avsilable for discard without Field Blower or getting KO’d.

Both interact with Jirachi just fine.

On another note, Expanded:

With Texas regionals being Expanded all the time (a tragedy), what would be some good mods for that format? I slready have obvious ones in Computer Search and Battle Compressor, but trying to think of what else may be good, without compromising the deck’s overall strategy.

Not an expanded player (almost at all), so I can't help you there, but I do play a lot of rotom online. And while I haven't done the rat version, I do have a hate/hate relationship with muk/shuckle (or as I call them, muckle).

I play counter energy currently, so I have attacks that can KO muk, but shuckle can be a big issue with my deck (I end up doing something dumb like using baby lele to move damage onto shuckle, then let shrine finish it). If you want to stick to no energy, there is a minior that can do 20 damage (ignore all effects) that can be used for a counter gain, but then you don't even get to add choice band so that's an 8HKO.

Rather than trying to 8HKO you might as well just wait on shrine, and drop a hoopa to counter stall with stall. Hoopa blocks the poison/paralysis so even attacking shuckle is no issue, and shrine will eventually win you the battle, though rotom is a self-milling deck so you might want to add an oranguru (can be used with counter gain to avoid energy) or lusamine loop.

Muk shouldn't be an issue for you, since you already can guzma it and at least hit for 80 with alolan raticate gx, and hopefully you already tagged it with... a spell tag. Also if you have it ahead of time, just guzma the grimer (or if they drop a ditto, make it your first spell tag target).

I just pulled it down til May, Tag Teams just outclass it far too much, even equipped with a Choice Band and attacking into a Gengar, is still a 2HKO, once we get Hood/Power Plant, I'm going with 'Zard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back