'Phantom Forces' Blister Promos + Theme Deck Lists [10/30]

Yay! I've been waiting for that Darkrai to show up because he looks so cool! I think it would make an interesting pair with MalamarEX as a bench sitter, but only in Extended. The theme decks seem very pointless. When put together, they just cost a little less than the Battle Arena decks, which are 10x as awesome. Why did they even make these theme decks?

Glad to see that dark Greninja, the only thing more welcome would have been that fighting Pangoro.

That being said, it now makes me more curious than ever how we're going to get psychic Delphox and fighting Chestnaught. Granted there is no proof that we will get them as we never got a fighting Pignite/Emboar. On the flipside in the past we've gotten a fighting Marshtomp/Swampert, fighting Combusken/Blaziken (albeit the latter being an EX), a fighting Torterra, a fighting Infernape and a steel Empoleon so it seems likely we will. Of cours Japan has yet to get any inkling of these cards so who knows. It would actually be kind of funny, though not likely, if we somehow got these before Japan did.

If we get these cards I can kind of see these being released first in Japan as the promo things they got Gallade EX, Krookodile EX, and the Shiftry we're getting in the Phantom Forces 3 pack blister and then they would be released in America in a blister thing, regardless of it be the next set or some other little thing.

I was at two targets and a wal-mart today and saw no sign of Phantom Forces stuff. Granted it is of course a week early but we got Furious Fists a week early so you just never know until you look.

Squirtle Squad said:
Those theme decks are just bad... Literally nothing worth getting in them... Pyroar maybe? Not worth it!

Agreed... I was trying to see which one a would get out of the two... and there a no go.

-Talonflame Promo makes sense, since the Regional Birds are already in Phantom Forces, but I just wish it was a more playable card. Aside from collectivity, I don't think I would get that blister.

-Darkrai looks cool and quite similar to Honchkrow, but it definitely won't replace the Honco. It's a Basic that can't go around Pyroar, requires D D C instead of D C C to attack, has Fighting Weakness instead of Fighting Resistance that Honco has, and it's a promo. I guess it is nice it can heal itself, but rarely will that be helpful.

-Shiftry isn't very good, but it looks fun.

-Greninja may not be the most playable thing ever, but I am so happy this was finally printed. I doubt it will see any play since it's a Promo, but I love the 'ninja so much that I just might consider getting this. Fingers crossed for Fighting Chesnaught!

-The Theme Decks aren't bad like everyone says. They each are there to help newcomers get into competitive play. That being said though, I wish they would be more creative with the Trainer cards. Seriously, this should have had Xerosic and VS Seeker.

I happen to enjoy collecting the promos, and this has recently extended to all of the exclusive cards found in theme decks, the shattered holos and the rares that are normally holo. I know the theme decks aren't exactly bursting with powerful cards but as GadgetJax says they're aren't really for anything other than newcomers to get into competitive play. Hoping them to be powerhouses is a futile one, especially when so many competitive decks these days rely not only on some powerful trainers but on EX Pokemon.

I only plan on getting one Talonflame blister, and that's because of it being cosmos holo, which is kind of part of the promo collection. I need two Greninja blisters though. As I say, I wonder how we're getting (assuming we do) fighting Chestnaught and psychic Delphox.

If the theme decks didn't suck, then how would new players have any room to improve on the deck? When a deck hits rock bottom, the only way to go is up, even if these new players have to replace all 60 cards.

I actually suspect that inevitably any player that wants a competitive deck replaces all cards (bar energy perhaps) in their deck anyway.

One doesn't necessarily get a theme deck for the competitive value. One can get it for casual play with friends or something.

Pikachu6319 said:
I actually suspect that inevitably any player that wants a competitive deck replaces all cards (bar energy perhaps) in their deck anyway.

One doesn't necessarily get a theme deck for the competitive value. One can get it for casual play with friends or something.

With both MTG and Pokemon, I see a lot of people saying that theme decks or intro packs, in the case with MTG, should have better cards, and that they should win mroe games. I don't agree with that because to me, if a deck sucks, new players would realize that and that they would improve on it when they lose games with that deck. You don't learn how to deckbuild and improve your deck by having someone give you the best deck ever right from the start. That is how netdeckers are born.

One of the reasons I hear as to why theme decks suck is the pyramid lines, and that they should be 4-1-4 lines. Um I don't know about you, but TPCi isn't going to put in a rare candy in every single theme deck out there, and knowing that is how pros do it, why would they put a rare candy inside a theme deck for a newbie to use, when TPCi probably wants the newbie to crack packs in order to get that rare candy?

Found out Today the Phantom Forces Launch kit has Darkrai and Shiftry Promo cards at my local card shop :)

Think i'm gonna have to get myself the Greninja one... Either of those theme decks worth getting for someone coming back to the game?

Puckstopper20 said:
Think i'm gonna have to get myself the Greninja one... Either of those theme decks worth getting for someone coming back to the game?

Honestly, if you're new to the game and don't have any cards whatsoever from the current format, I highly recommend both of these. I personally think that Burning Winds is a bit better for returning players, as it features Pyroar, which is pretty good, Venemoth, which has potential with Dragalge/Hypnotoxic Laser, and Yanmega, which can counter Seismitoad-EX and Keldeo-EX pretty easily. On the subject of Bolt Twister, it really isn't worth the money, as most of the Pokemon in this Deck are either unplayable as they only come with 1 copy (Heliolisk, Feraligatr), or just overall not very good (Kingler, Fearow).

If you want a REALLY good theme deck, Dark Hammer from Furious Fists comes with the essentials for most Fighting Decks, including Machamp, Korrina, and Landorus. Another one I recommend is Solar Strike from Plasma Blast, which comes with some decent Trainers like Professor Juniper and Ultra Ball, as well as Blastoise and Suicune. Some other ones to take note of are Psy Crusher from Plasma Freeze, Ice Shock from Boundaries Crossed, and Resilient Life from XY.

While I just got into the TCG in February, does anybody know if stores usually have deals off on Pokemon cards during the holiday season?

IIRC sometimes Toys R Us has some sort of deal going during the holidays.
Though their stuff is way marked up in the first place.

If you have a local comic/gaming store see if they have any deals.
It not only supports the store, but also the local economy as well.

BTW speaking of the blisters & theme decks, I went to a Wallmart near where the local Pre-Release was happening & they had all of them.
Plus regular boosters as well....
I guess the distributors of the cards at stores like that don't care about "release dates".

Yeah I just found individual, one pack blisters, and three pack blisters at my Wal-mart today. I didn't find the trainer box though and I kind of wanted it.

EricDent said:
BTW speaking of the blisters & theme decks, I went to a Wallmart near where the local Pre-Release was happening & they had all of them.
Plus regular boosters as well....
I guess the distributors of the cards at stores like that don't care about "release dates".

Wal-Mart and Target have been know to put sets out as much as two weeks early. But it's very YMMV.

Back