Writing [PG] The Meltdown Trilogy (Update: Book 2 Added)

Uralya

*ponders everything*
Hello, Writing Cafe (new names -_-). I haven't posted anything here in awhile, but I had the idea to get some thoughts on a trilogy of short stories I have written for school assignments (yes, school). They turned out very decent, and while they have more than their fair share of adjectives and adverbs (more than I personally like), I will edit those out later. I'm posting them one short story at a time, in order, likely all in this thread if allowed. Each is 4-6,000 words, and I have two of them done. Keep in mind that, because this is a for-school written story, it does not have near the description of what I normally write (TPOR). It also is less thought-provoking.

Rating explanation: PG. There is kissing and a sort of relationship between tweens in this, mind you.

I present to you Book 1: Meltdown.

Meltdown_zps9b2e8e33.png

Mother said that she would have not one relationship until she was older.

Mother said that it was to steer her in the right direction in life.

Mother said that it was to protect her.

Mother had never said that the restriction masked a feeling so good it could melt your heart. But Kerie Lynn Swenson found out soon enough that rules are meant to be broken, to achieve these ends. She had found love, and no rule would impede her quest to clench it by the throat and strangle it until she found the bliss the novels depicted. She wanted love to herself . . .

And she was only eleven.

Kerie Swenson started off the fated day as a run-of-the-mill preteen girl, just being herself, coy and flirtatious, all in hopes of appearing feminine and "scoring" potential boyfriends for high school. That day, she dressed out in a light-blue, short-sleeved shirt; cuffed denim short shorts; and pink flip flops, your average "hot" outlook. Complementing this was a silver necklace dighted with a pendant bird's wing and a silver bracelet with a dangling heart on her right wrist. Up top - upon her cranium - there hung a full head of light-blonde hair, fallen to the length of her shoulder blades and all held back by a neon hairband, and argentate butterfly studs adorning her earlobes. In her green purse, slung over her left shoulder, a pair of pink-rimmed glasses rested, in reach in case they were required, plus the rest of her accessories - including her silver, heart-shaped earrings, her second most-beloved - and that Hello Kitty wallet that drives her friends up a wall in invidious envy.

All of this stacked upon her bantam body made for a girl that most boys should covet, but she had always been too young. It depressed her that she was mature in mind, but not in stature or girlhood. So, just for what she expected to be the far future, Kerie started on any plausible, promising males that she could find attractive in her eyes later on in her epoch. So far, so good, but the wait became unbearable.

Reis Scrimsher made her go giddy and happy and dizzy and almost faint in the hallway during the first passing period. He simply blew her a kiss and she fell like a house of cards in a hurricane, so captivated by his smoothness that her brain and heart exploded at once. Her purse fell to the ground with a light thud accompanied by the jangling tunes of her shaking jewelry bag and the muffled rattle of her glasses case. Kerie herself had been talking with her "best-bud", Payden Gidrey, and Payden providentially caught her - otherwise, a locker would have yelled "Hello!" to the back of her head.

"Kerie, my gosh! Are you okay?" Payden yelped, anxiously shaking her inane body. Kerie's mouth drooled, giggling asininely. Payden could swear Reis had just had a night with her, because a spastic laugh, incessant, resounded from her. Prompted by her madness, Payden slapped - lightly or not, she did not care - Kerie even more senseless. The giggles would not stop, the beatific tears would not cease their flow, and the girl in her arms would not come back to reality.

Praying that the school's bell would halt for them, Payden lay Kerie on the tile flooring and opened both lockers, gathered the apparatuses needed for mathematics, and reset the dials upon re-locking them. Laying Kerie's supplies on the floor next to their owner, Payden trotted to Mrs. Callegan's room at the end of the hall. Apparently, the Gidrey girl had just left her friend to come to her senses on her own.

Kerie came to two minutes after the tintinnabulation of the red bell above her, beckoning something she refused to comprehend.

Kerie slipped out of school with nothing more than lunch detention, much to her dismay, but as Payden would say it, that's the way the cat kills itself. She remained largely unfazed throughout the day, however, as the sensation she had experienced after Reis had made her swoon proved memorable. She had learned that Reis was the new boy five houses down from hers, and he conveniently shared two-thirds of each day with Kerie schedule-wise. Kerie had never fallen for someone akin to that moment, but her instincts told her that he was the one. He was the one.

They apparently rode the same bus, so Kerie, after the final bell, met Reis at the corner of the road where the yellow tarantula parked each afternoon. She figured that it was now or never, as Reis seemed the type to move on.

"Um, hello, do you remember me? I fainted in the hall because of your affections to me. Remember?" she begged, seriously comprehending dropping on one knee.

Reis turned his head towards her, simpering awkwardly. "Yeah, I remember. Kerie Swenson, was it?"

"Yes, yes! That's it!" Kerie cheered, bouncing sillily on the balls of her toes. "I never caught your name though."

"Reis Scrimsher. Don't wear it out," he coolly said, brandishing a sparrow track in his left hand and tracing a circle behind it with his thumb. "So, how have you been, fine lady?"

Kerie blushed, bringing her knees together. "Oh, you . . . Yeah, I've been great, Reis. I've just been thinking about you. Why did you make me faint?"

"Because I love you." The bus came anticlimactically, and he urged her on. "I think I'll walk today. Give you some time to think about it."

"Wait!" Kerie screamed, but Reis forced the doors on her, leaving her to go sulk in the back of the bus with a question as big as the universe on her frail mind.

At supper, Kerie described her day to her parents and six-year-old sister, Kyli, but intentionally left out Reis and her fainting. Her mother would smash her skull in, frankly put.

"Sounds interesting," Mom replied. "Did you study for that A+?"

Wiping her face with a fistful of napkins, Kyli shouted, "You bet!"

"Kyli, shush!" Kerie harshly said, partially gritting her teeth. Her parents were giggling, surprisingly, so Kerie added, "Ha-ha-ha." Turning to Mom, she said, "Yeah, I did. When you have a bud like Payden, it's never too hard. She is one workaholic, y'know?"

Dad rolled his eyes. "I think we know, dear. You mention that every time Payden is brought up, don't you?"

Mom looked at him funnily, then back to Kerie. "You and Payden, I just don't know. How do you get along?"

"We just help each other. What's the big deal with that?" Kerie asked.

"Nothing at all, hon. I just thought that you'd be spending time with girls like you rather . . . Oh well."

"Oh well is right. I just prefer her company because she knows what she's doing. All these other chicks are brats and goths and jerks and cats with double-pierced ears. It's depressing, y'know?"

"Kerie," Dad interrupted. "It isn't nice to judge classmates like that, but I see what you mean. My intermediate school was just like that. The boys around me were all jerks save a few."

"Oh, you have no idea. I am not kidding, Dad. I mean, Maddie Kindelfeld has two in each ear, Molli Rainier has two in each ear, Isabel Caez has two in each ear, Hope Collins has three in each ear, and freaking Sidney Kittinger has four in each ear. Honestly, what the fruit? And even though she's sorta my buddy, Addie Shatner is a month younger than me, and she has two on her lobes and a cartilage ring on the left. I do not want to hang out with those types of people. Save Addie, they're nothing but freaks who have a half-chance of ending up sixteen and pregnant in an alleyway while the lover is off playing football. Just no."

"Kerie, you seem to be done, so please go up to your room."

Kerie looked down. She had not touched her plate.

Locking the door of her house before striding as always to the bus stop, Kerie only thought that the "detention incidents" had only been bad luck. She denied their magnitude mainly because she had met Reis Scrimsher that same day, and apparently, that, to her, outweighed the incidents massively.

Ending her humble skip at the corner, Kerie looked up and found the same figure: a sepia shirt, blue jeans, and blue-and-white Nikes. Smiling crazily, she strolled up beside him. This smile masked the puzzling thoughts of yesterday, however.

"Hello, Miss Swenson. I assume you are grand as always?" Reis's accent mimicked an Irish brogue, polite and all, and Kerie cracked, writhing with giggles.

"Yes, kind sir, I am 'grand' . . ." she replied, curtsying. "So, about yesterday-"

"Ah-ah. Miss Swenson, I know. But your parents won't like it, will they?" Reis stared at her. "Consider that."

Kerie threw her hands up, beaming. "I don't give anything about what Mom says! I love you too!" She fell over again, this time landing in Reis's anticipant clutch. Her right shoulder now rested upon his hands. Hanging her head back, Kerie looked up at the bottom-side-up face of Reis. "I just wanna know, what do you like about me?"

Reis sputtered somewhat, then leaned his head down, still gazing at her, both dreamily stricken. "Everything. You dress cutely, your hair is beautiful, your eyes are captivating and darling, your personality is winning and funny, and to be frank, I love those butterfly earrings. They bring out your daintiness, should I say." He paused. "Wait. One's upside down . . ."

Kerie felt his soft hand work between her cheek and hair and relaxed, sighing as he rotated the butterfly. "Thank you, Reis. I love those same things about you. Plus, you're just you, a boy that I would love to be with," she said, watching his charming face.

Upon finishing, Reis looked at her eyes again. "Boyfriend?"

Kerie beamed once more. "Girlfriend?"

Reis flipped her around so that she stood upright, then said, along with Kerie, "Always." The bus rolled up to the curb subtly in the background, and they walked towards the doors, hand-in-hand.

Now that Kerie flew free from lunch detention, Reis joined Payden, Addie Shatner, and herself at a table. Payden was about Kerie's height, with wavy blonde hair, a green shirt, pink short shorts, and sandals. Addie seemed four inches shorter, with brown hair that fell to her high shoulder blades with the left side of her forehead slightly more showered in it, a pink blouse, short shorts like Kerie's, and silvery flip flops with glitter on the tops.

"Hi, Reis!" Kerie squealed, cheerfully waving her hand as he sat down next to her. "Girls, this is Reis Scrimsher. Payden, he's the one who made me faint in the hall."

Addie banged her hand down as a fist, standing from her chair and hunching over her lunchbox. "No way. You managed to make Kerie faint!?"

"Indeed, miss," Reis said, bowing his head. The girls giggled again. Addie offered a high-five that he gladly accepted.

Payden patted Kerie on the back. "No kidding. He's a real mate. Good find, Kerie."

Kerie stared at her awkwardly, and they both cracked. "You haven't heard the load of it. And neither have I, now that I think about it," she said, turning her head to the one she then requested to "unload it." Accepted.

Reis spent the majority of the lunch sharing his back-story. How he moved from Iowa down here to Little Rock, how his childhood was spent, how - everything, it seemed. The girls caught a fever of laughter as if it was cancer, always hugging one another for support to keep from falling off their seats. Reis sure knew how to talk with jokes, as Payden said midway through the lunch.

Towards the end, Kerie noticed that they had been holding hands the whole lunch, under the table. She nudged Reis with the same hand's shoulder, pointed with her left hand at it, and smiled warmly. Reis mirrored her, then cordially gestured towards his shoulder. Kerie patted it, but strangely, it felt unnaturally warm. Little heed was paid, unsurprisingly.

Kerie's head lay there for the rest of lunch, dreaming. She failed to register what they conversed about, but it seemed a friendly enough palaver that she was well off with disregarding. She figured that her boyfriend would relay it to her at the bus stop.

The problem: neither of them took the bus that day.

Reis led Kerie into the woods through a back alley instead come three o'clock, slipping through a gap in a wrought-iron, rusted fence that must have been axed down just last week - at least in Kerie's eyes, and she was perpetually blind at this moment.

"Where are we going, Reis? I've never been in this section of the woods before," Kerie asked hesitantly, partially wondering if this was a date of some sort. She enjoyed the idea, that certain.

"Well, that's where we're headed. I want to show you something." Reis's anxiety reminded Kerie of Bridge to Terabithia, except for the fact that Leslie died here.

Please don't die, Kerie, please don't die, she prayed.

"So, what is it?" Kerie asked after two minutes of running, her left wrist grasped by Reis's right hand.

Reis suddenly stopped, not answering - or bothering to answer - Kerie's question, as there stood what he wanted to show her.

A single, rust-covered wall stood like a sentinel, surrounded by trees that encircled it like hounds. Upon the iron was, etched in crude, faded white paint:

LOVE + PEACE = INFORMATION

"Someone must have read Hearts in Atlantis too much. What idiotic thoughts." Reis let a bird fly by. "Love should be the result, not a part of the problem."

He turned and kissed Kerie on the spot.

The kiss was so unexpected, but Kerie relished it, almost to the point where the soap operas would call it "romantics" - upon letting go, Kerie actually had to gasp for air. It had nearly choked her to fall for Reis. But she wanted more, and Reis evidently knew it, as he leaned over and repeated the process. Kerie's muffled "Mmm"s and "Ohh"s and "Ahh"s just provided the music.

"Oh, Reis. I . . . I loved that," Kerie stammeringly said, still gasping.

"Feels good, doesn't it?" Reis soothed, caressing her chest with a light rubbing of his hand. More music came from her lips, and he kept going.

"You bet. Ahh . . . Come here," Kerie said, pulling Reis's head closer and ruffling his short brown hair around with her own fingers. "If this is what love is, I don't know anything better."

"Now, now, Kerie. Remember that we're tweens here. This is not love at its finest. We need to wait for that."

"So, there is something better than this? Wow."

"But that is for later in life. This is the best we can do. So enjoy," Reis explained, then kissed her again. "Just enjoy."

Reis let her upper body unfurl. Kerie turned and stared at the ferrous monolith overlooking them. The inscription seemed to have faded even more for some alien reason.

"Reis, why are we here? I mean, I get the reference to this wall and the equation, but what else is there?" she asked.

Reis unhooked his arm from her shoulder and walked round the slab. "It . . . is my home. Come here, Kerie."

His arm making the gesture, Kerie obeyed, bewildered. He had seemed the type to live a successful life, but how had he become so poor as to live out here?

Turning her gaze around the wall's corner, Kerie took in the spectacle of a campfire. There lay a lifeless fire pit choked with atramental timbers, a scrunched-up sleeping bag, several grocery bags of canned food and snacks, and a makeshift blanket tent canopying it all.

"I can't go on much longer like this. It's The Hunger Games all over again," Reis said, sighing heavily and settling his rear on a log encircling the pit. He picked up a stick and excavated in the coals with it as Kerie sat with him.

"If you attribute it to that. I'm so sorry," she sympathized. "How?"

"My parents have been dead for years. I haven't kept track. But I have nothing save what I can afford. The inheritance I received was all used for other things."

"How do you afford it all then?" Kerie asked. Trying to show her understanding, she shed her butterfly earrings and inserted the heart studs, stowing the former away in her purse. All the love in the world would be needed for this one.

"Huh? I was just admiring that you cared enough to put the hearts in."

"You're welcome," Kerie replied, slightly blushing. She cleared her throat. "How do you afford it all?"

Reis twiddled the stick around in one hand, then flung it behind him, into a heap of leaves. "Loose change, favors, jobs, bets, you name it. I have to do everything I can. It's a harsh life though."

"Let's make it better then."

Reis turned his head, again hooking his arm around her neck. "You're right. Maybe I could live with you."

Kerie's eyes opened wide, and she would have toppled over had Reis not put his arm round her. "No! My mom would kill me!"

Reis raised one eyebrow. "Why? I'm not dangerous."

"Reis, I'm sorry, but Mom has strictly said that I shouldn't be in any relationships until I'm in high school. I'm really breaking the rules here to be able to feel this good, to be here with you. But if she knew about you, my name would be on a tombstone by next spring. We need this to be secret."

Kerie's harsh breathing afterwards gave him the hint that this was the truth. She seemed to wheeze gigantically after speeches, and this one went too quickly to be improvised.

Reis nodded. "That's fine. But I'd like this to be our lovespot, okay? Just you and me . . ." He started rubbing her back, and Kerie leaned closer to him.

"Fine by me. I love it here. It's so serene and quiet and peaceful. Don't you agree, Reis?" Kerie remarked, curiously eyeing a butterfly hovering above the zipper of her purse. "Hey, little butterfly. Lookin' for your children?"

Reis laughed playfully, leaning back on the log. "Kerie, you are too funny. One reason I enjoy being with you."

Kerie put her hand out to where the butterfly could land on it, and so it did. A beige sort, the lepidopteran insect flitted around and came to rest on Kerie's bracelet, clutching the width of it. Smiling, she waved her arm in the air slowly, watching the bug quiver in the stirred-up breeze.

She imagined Reis doing this to her later on and clutched him even tighter.

His skin felt like the outside of a churning volcano: too warm.

It would be the weekend before Kerie saw Reis again. Come Monday morning, she knew that something was wrong. So wrong that it could never be made right in her opinion.

He was sweating in fifty-degree weather.

He came to the bus with a florid face, the cheeks most flushed and noticeable. His brow was beaded with drops from his pores, and his hair was frizzled up.

Kerie rushed to his aid when she found him stumbling down the sidewalk. "Reis, my gosh! What happened to you!?"

Reis nearly tripped, but Kerie held him up. "I don't know. I feel so hot, but there haven't been any sneezes or coughs. What is it . . . ?"

Hand dangling on her chin in thought, Kerie gazed at the driver. His hand was madly waving. "It sounds so odd. I've never seen this redness unless I had a cold, and it can't be the weather because fifty is too high," she said. Her hand still scraped around, justifiably puzzled.

"We'd better get to the bus, Kerie. I think someone's getting impatient . . ." Reis pointed weakly at the driver, who had been roaring obscenities through the doors. He then fell in Kerie's arms, vellicating her body from the waist and upwards of that down with him.

Forced to kneel with her left knee propping Reis's chest up, Kerie screamed. "Wait! Mr. Freese, this boy just fainted! Get help now!" She sobbed heavily, constantly wiping her face with the front of her shirt.

Mr. Freese, the vulgar operator of the yellow clunker, jumped from the bus and dashed into the nearest house, desperately seeking a phone.

Kerie rubbed Reis's back, patting him occasionally. "It'll be okay, Reis, it'll be okay. Just wait for the ambulance. It'll be okay," she repeated, uttering the syllables in rhythm with her patting. The youths in the bus seats now leaned forward, watching inquisitively as she cared for her love. Several sighs of adoration, admiration, affection, and all of that emitted from the vehicle, but Kerie proved too fixated on the unconscious boy in her hands to heed it.

Payden and Addie soon came down the steps and helped Kerie prop Reis up, holding him up between Payden and Kerie; Addie held his lower legs up in back. Resting him on the cement a few yards away, Kerie sat with him, while the others stood at different points on the sidewalk in a sort of telephone wire that kept her updated on the ambulance and Mr. Freese.

"Thanks, guys. That means a lot to me," she said. Her familiars met it with nods and smiles. She met their gestures the same way.

Mr. Freese burst out of the house around the corner and flew across the street to another. They could only speculate on his problems.

Ten minutes or so passed before any major news. According to the bus driver, the ambulances were all either busy or in repairs. Oddly, he could not decipher why, but the end result was the same: Reis was helpless save his girlfriend and her comrades. Kerie cried now, only adjuring the heavens to rain mercy on the cursed, star-crossed lovers.

To avail or not, she could not tell. He awoke, but remained only half-attentive. He randomly hummed the tune to Satellite, the Rise Against song. Kerie recognized the last verse and sung with him:

We'll sneak out while they sleep
And sail off in the night.
We'll come clean and start over
The rest of our lives.
When we're gone, we'll stay gone;
Out of sight, out of mind . . .
It's not too late . . .
We have the rest of our lives!

She repeated this stanza in a more forceful voice as required, then recited the melody, which, to her, fit the situation perfectly:

Because we won't back down,
We won't run and hide,
Yeah, 'cause these are the things
That we can't deny.
I'm passing over you like a satellite,
So catch me if I fall . . . !
That's why we stick to your
Game plans and party lines,
But at night
We're conspiring by candlelight.
We are the orphans of
The American dream, so
Shine your light on - shine your light on me!
No, we won't back down,
We won't run and hide,
Yeah, 'cause these are the things
That we can't deny.
I'm passing over you like a satellite,
'Cause these are the things that we can't deny now.
This is a life that you can't deny us now.

Upon finishing, Kerie cried her heart out. The song had taken its toll on her, plus it had touched her heart so. If this could not make her die for Reis, she could not name another thing that could.

"Kerie, that was beautiful . . ." a voice remarked. Slowly raising her head from Reis's chest, she found that he was the speaker and hugged him tightly.

"Reis! Thank goodness! I thought I'd lost you," Kerie exasperatedly voiced, gazing relievedly into his eyes. He began to shed dewdrops from his sacs as well.

"I thought I'd lost us both. It was like I had lost existence."

"That unconscious, huh? I felt that when I fainted, y'know?" Kerie joked, trying to relate to this predicament.

"Yeah, I figured . . . Oh no," Reis exclaimed weakly, muttering maledictions afterward. Kerie looked at his hands as well, saw that they were blood-red and throbbing, and looked back to Reis's face. That was the color of Betelgeuse as well, a scarlet orb oozing with threads of fire - in this case, sweat.

"What is this!?" Kerie squealed, feeling the painful heat on her hands and knee, evident in her tense expression.

"Maybe I've loved you too much. I'm sorry, but I've brought this upon myself."

"What . . . ?" she drawled out, lost in utter disbelief.

"My heart is a fireball. When it becomes too hot, well, my master calls me, let's just say. I'm not of this world."

Kerie gawked. "Then, what are you?"

A long pause. Then he spoke, a gravelly intonation embedded in his voice.

". . . One whom love loves to hate."

Another great pause, like a rift in time and space. Kerie, at this moment, accepted the fact that he was not of this world, however silently.

"Remember. I love you, Keri Swenson. I just need to go . . ." the magmatic child said in an echo-like tone. Then he melted.

A pool of orange formed under Reis's body, making Kerie spring back with fear. Ripples of lava combed the edges like waves on a seashore, and his being slowly sunk in the vent. His clothes had disappeared, and, his features gone, a volcanic mannequin was all that remained. It took fifteen agonizing seconds until the flaming doll submerged into the subterranean earth, at which point Kerie Swenson fell over in defeat. Her last thought before hitting the darkness was that she had been loved.

It would take six years for her coma to desist.
***​
Words: 4,303​

~AoH

EDIT: Am I having the same problem of having no comments because it's too complex/verbose? Happened with TPOR.

RE: The Meltdown Trilogy (PG)

Whoa, that's incredible. Just one thing I don't understand is how they fell in love with each other so quickly. :p

Words cannot begin to describe your writing style.

RE: The Meltdown Trilogy (PG)

Many thanks to you, Luckyfire. That pleases me so much.

To answer your question, she was very desperate, and he just happened to be there, wowed her, and boom (it happened to me actually). The second one will be much less "in the real world", as I call it. It involves where Reis (pronounced Reese, fyi, Kerie is like Carrie) goes after he melts down.

The next one I guess I'll post once this receives enough feedback for my satisfaction. Until then, keep it coming. I apologize if becomes a confusing read at times.

~AoH

RE: The Meltdown Trilogy (PG) *Will add second book soon*

Okay, I felt that it was about time to update this as it is online. This time, I scanned through and destroyed most of the unnecessary adverbs and adjectives for you, the reader(s). Enjoy Book 2: Freeze Out.

FreezeOut_zps82e97b54.png

Like harsh remnants of a nightmare, the memory of Kerie Swenson frightened Payden Gidrey to the limits of sanity. It had been four years since the coma took her out of this world, just like her love. To that day, she rested in the left wing emergency room of a Little Rock hospital, unresponsive and, frankly, dead. No one thought that she had even a slight chance of arousal from the petrified state she had slipped into.

A sleeping beauty with no prince.

"So, Miss Gidrey, can you comment on the recent events transpiring in the life of Kerie Swenson?" a reporter asked, forceful to a point. "She was your friend, wasn't she?"

The notion of Kerie struck Payden hard in the heart. The way that she used "was" just made it that much harder to respond. Small scatterings of tears traced her face. Her boyfriend, Brady Shallock, leaned closer and hugged her tight.

"Yes. Kerie is as great a friend as there ever has been and will be. She's everything to me. Ever since she passed out, I haven't been the same. It's really all thanks to Brady that I've pulled through this mess," she said, burying her face into Brady's shirt. "I was overjoyed to hear about her signs of activity. I wish her the best in waking up, ma'am."

The reporter nodded, possibly touched. "Thank you, Miss Gidrey. We wish the best of luck to her too. She has gripped the nation tight, after all. She's practically a celebrity." She turned toward the camera, gave some closing statements, and sauntered off with the two cameramen and a crowd of people wanting to intrude in any later filming.

Payden smiled at the thought, then turned to Brady, still locked in his firm grip. "Thanks for everything, Brady."

He smiled back, unwavering. A cataractal freshet of teardrops fell like a veil across it, delineating the curves of his face. "You're welcome, Payden. Love has a way with gratitude, doesn't it?"

"It sure does. I think my faith in Kerie has finally paid off."

Brady gave two short breaths of laughter. "That's why they call you Payden, I guess." His comment earned him a playful slap on the cheek.

Payden, still a teenager, giggled just as Kerie had the first day she had met her love. "This is why we're together. So much we share, reveling in the laughter. I love it," she admitted.

"And I love you, Payden." Brady pulled her up for a peck of the lips.

"I love you too. Now let's pray. For Kerie."

The couple walked to a Cici's, sat in a booth, and appealed to heaven that she succeed. Kerie Swenson shall gain readmittance to this world. At last.

Wires of liquid constricted a corpse on Kerie Swenson's bed. A pale sheet masked the crevice of unconsciousness she had fallen into. Like a dove on the outside, but a carcass on the inside. The only signs of a past life rested in the rise and fall of the sheet and the irrepressible bleep of the heart monitor stationed like a side-table near her head.

A panel of nurses and one doctor stood at the far side of the room, gazing at her. Since the recognition of her last, spastic jolts of movement an hour prior, all they had done was watch. One woman in a turquoise apron and mask sneezed, eliciting a shush from the rest.

Eyelids fluttered, but nothing else came forth from the fissure. It seemed an autonomous motion, involuntary and uncontrolled. Sighs were uttered, but silence reigned in a deadlock between will and defeat.

The only way out remained a crypt, lost for yet another two years.

The sky shimmered a chaotic green, akin to glow-in-the-dark object's emissions. Amorphous clouds streaked the zenith, circling like vultures and blood-red. The land was sere, charred catastrophically ashen by means unknown. An aching wind howled through crippled temples. Raging fires spouted slate plumes of smoke, billowing furiously with the tempest of destruction.

Homeworlds never welcomed their own kind like this.

The neon dimensional gate swirled idly in the background, shut off at the whim of a switch. A wracking shudder rippled through the ground underneath it, the metal border of the portal revolved, and it collapsed upon itself. The metal turned aqueous and consumed the void, vaporizing instantaneously.

Turning to the teal sky, it said, "My father called me back for this? What did he do . . . ?" The alien lifeform was encased in a beige cloak, hiding a rough mass of gray skin. Twin cobalt pupils stared out from under a black-tinted visor encompassing the length and height of the head. Four-fingered and four-toed limbs hung out from the cape, grappling aimlessly with the black dirt beneath. Taking solemn steps towards the temple of wind, it wrapped the cloak tighter against its body and tucked its head in. A ring of blazing embers erupted to life at the foot of the steps to the temple's platform.

"Remiel Shyren, requesting entrance," it spoke. The ring rotated faster and faster, sinking gradually until a stone circle lifted from the pit. Remiel stepped across it and plodded up the railing-less stairway.

Mulling over the possibilities, Rem shoved a fallen boulder out of his way. It tumbled over the side, making a dull crashing noise far below. "If my world looks like this, the apocalypse must have happened. At least I missed it," he said, shedding a lonely tear that fell out of his helmet. He was surprised that the altar still stood, steadfast against the gale of torture evident in the lifeless moonscape. A dark moon drifted over the head of it, silently watching him.

Kneeling before the altar, Rem removed his helmet and set it at his side. A white strip encircled his forehead like a headband, offsetting the patches of dark gray and pure black tattooing the rest of his skull. His mouth was made like mandibles, the four jagged blades at the corners a gunmetal tint. Two small pores upon the bridge of where a nose would have existed served as his nasal cavities. His head angled acutely, with four wedgelike partitions - two protruding from the sides of his jaw and two from the sides of his forehead - running backwards like shields, the tapering ends unattached to his skin. Aside from this, he resembled a human.

"Cloudbreaker, is my world dead?" Remiel asked, a tone worthy of a shout impinged on it. He opened his eyes and peered up.

Above the altar, the same chartreuse firmament, choked with nebulous, claret scud, still hung overhead, lingering, just as ominous as the moon. Rem's hands shot up, he stood himself, and a vicious cry came out. "Cloudbreaker! Answer me! Now!"

Silent wind whispered around him, "No more . . . No more . . ."

"I don't believe you. No more lies," he said, closing his eyes again. "Answer me. Now."

A powerful voice came from above. Remiel's eyes opened quickly, darting toward the sky. "Make your trek across the plain, Remiel. Those whom you seek are seeking you as well. They await on the far side of Kimerek. The best of luck."

Rem's eyes faintly caught, in the dense halo of light, the image of Cloudbreaker, who pointed west, against the wind. Thinking it ironic, Rem smiled, giving a salute before donning his helmet and striding back down the steps of the temple. Looking up one last time, he saw that the green empyrean had returned, this time clear of the bloody clouds. Everything seemed to shine in a new light.

"Thank you . . ." he said, strapping the helmet's harness tight on his neck. "And now, to find those I seek." He turned soundlessly save the sharp cracking of his feet upon the pebbles of ash and made his way around the pantheon, headed for the other side of the world.

Those he sought were not of his kind.

After receiving news of her relapse, Payden Gidrey cried her heart out. Her praying had been in vain, it appeared. Clutched again by Brady, Payden threw herself onto his couch and cuddled her head close to his chest, staining his shirt with tears.

"There, there, Payden. It's all right," Brady said, patting her on the upper spine slowly.

"That was the first movement Kerie's had in four years, Brady! Four years! I thought for sure she would wake, but now it's all down the drain!" Payden screamed, weeping. The soft patting on her back doubled up, became more erratic and off-beat.

Brady remained silent for several minutes. After Payden lost all hope and discharged a waterfall, he said, ". . . Hush." Given a forceful slap, Payden stopped, read his pleading expression, and lay her head on his thighs, stretching her legs out over the couch arm.

"Sorry about that," she said. "I'm overreacting now, huh?" When he nodded, Payden blushed and closed her eyes.

Brady read her smile. Coy. "It happens, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. If anything, you may have motivated Kerie to come alive sooner than she would have. Just with a prayer."

"When you put it that way, I guess you're right. She might have never come back if we hadn't prayed," Payden said, her eyelids cracking apart, pupils glimpsing at Brady warmly.

They sat in peace for awhile, with Payden lying down and Brady rubbing her back in idle fashion. A gold-bordered mantle clock ticked subtly over his head. The television sat at the far end of the room. Everything remained still. Ataraxy rained like a dewy curtain, vaporous blinds shutting off the light of everything else. In absolute calm, Brady pulled Payden up to face-level. She seemed confused.

"I think we should pray some more."

Payden's head brought forth assent, her hands coming together below her chin. "When ready," she said.

Brady Shallock, all of sixteen years, matted brown hair and tall frame, clasped her hands. He kissed her, then said, "Ready."

They uttered the first three words.

They all were moved. Just not anyone outside of that room.

Three weeks after taking off from the temple, Remiel Shyren reached his first crossroads - to take the charred meadow's path, or the thick strip of earth hanging above a lava pit. Both seemed dangerous in the utmost sense of the word. He shuddered, debating the options. Unfortunately, there appeared no path around either mark, no land inbetween either. It was one or the other - pick right or die.

Rem stared at the zenith again, searching for answers. "No Cloudbreaker for this quest," he murmured. "Never happens anyways."

He faked a step in each direction, feeling which was more natural. Ironically, it did not seem to be towards the meadow. He took four steps that way and watched another magma spring form in front of him, the entire field caving in and falling into the inferno.

"I knew it . . ." Rem mumbled, backtracking and walking across the lava pit on the left. It did not collapse. A grin materialized under the visor of his helmet. His cloak billowed tirelessly behind him, like a rebel flag symbolizing the necessity to stand ground.

Remiel was never going to give in.

Days more he marched before coming upon the first signs of any civilization. Tattered awnings fluttered in the light, cold wind, attached to houses no longer inhabited. Fences were torn to shreds. Small fires and pyres burned on in the distance and up close. Crumbled frames dotted the landscape for miles on end. Deep craters were spaced like checkers on a board with no color differentiation. They cradled bundles of wandering smoke, pouring forth onto the grass like morning mist. The whole scene would have reminded any human of what a ghost town felt like. Rem shook like a human, however.

Stepping over the fallen wall of a domicile, the visored face turned back and forth, struggling to absorb the knowledge of such mass extermination at the hands of an unknown force. His mandibles dropped in horror at the first sight of a skeleton, peeking its face out from under a toppled roof.

Rushing over, Rem yanked the carrion by the skull, dragging it out from beneath the covering. Laying it down on a mound of debris, he studied its condition, noting the crushed rib cage and missing limbs. This corpse had taking quite a beating.

Moving away, Remiel scanned the left, taking in the roaring fires this way. The right side only fumed in comparison. He decided to progress straight ahead for safety, not wanting to wander into another wreck.

The wasted structures continued to dot his path for another hour, never ceasing until the edge of a meadow approached Rem. The last home he passed seemed obsolete in the wake of others, an anticlimactic end to a tour of the underworld.

Rem made small work of the rest of the day, torturing himself to perceive any worse destruction in this world than what he had captured before.

All of the destruction was equally divided, like in chess - each piece fallen is taken off the board entirely.

"Sinking . . . into the abyss . . . it feels . . . good."

The darkness seeped through the cracks of the shell, like a mephetic fog. Wisps of black toxins swirled around the edges, never broadening the ring nor closing in. They hovered, circling like hounds, waiting to jump the prey.

That prey was a lone spirit, drifting through the corridors of the Below as if it were a labyrinth with no terminus. No points existed where hope showed through the veil of black, stygian night.

A cut-up satellite orbited a point from far out in the jet-black scape, what looked like the rended remains of a moon. Sliced and diced, the former asteroid resembled a mass of comets or jettisoned planetary chunks, trying to agglomerate again but never having enough cohesive force. Besides, there should not be any hope for reunion where hope does not exist, right?

"I ask myself . . . that same question, now . . . Can I ever be . . . reunited with him . . . my love . . . ?"

The form in the middle of the perforated shell huddled up, now a fetus amidst the lethal miasma. It sucked a shadow of a thumb, wishing desperately for a way out. It almost looked like a newborn wanting to exit the womb, except that this womb wanted it locked up. Tight.

"Why can't I . . . escape this nightmare . . . ? I've done everything . . . but I can't break the shell . . . someone help me . . . please."

A partition of the fog lashed out like a shark, snapping violently for the legs of the form. Retracting them hastily, it watched the misty shark zip past and rejoin its "brethren" on the other side of the ring. The scene had morphed into an annulus of elasmobranches circling a poor guppy lost in the darkest sea. It appeared impossible as to finding a means of escape, but some choice words could quickly spell it.

"Whispers and moonlight there to guide."

Slowly but noticeably, the shattered moon had assembled itself, casting a shining, irradiant corona, an aureole of sun, on the ring of sable sharks. Several clouds of dank acid shown in the light, burning on contact with the beam. The mist halted, quivered compulsorily, and scattered into the depths of the surrounding darkness, like wild animals frightened by a single predator. This predator had come to save, not kill, however.

"Thank you . . . But why did you come . . . ? I didn't say . . . those words . . ."

Unheeding, the beam moved like a halation on a stage, shifting away, beckoning it to follow. If this was the way out, why not oblige? The form stepped to the edge of the shell, hesitated, and finally pushed with ghostly hands. The film burst, spilling like blood onto the invisible ground. Taking careful steps, it teetered around the splattered shell, walking more steadily as the path the beacon illuminated became clearer, like a carved route in a valley of dense air.

Once again: "Thank you . . ."

The ever-present dusk started to lighten after an infinity of travail in the shadows. The form had grown weak, yet its legs moved autonomously, robotic stilts supporting a dead frame. All the mind wanted was to see light again, to awaken from the darkness. Evidently, the guiding halo was not enough to slake its thirst - it wanted to be rid of all things pertaining to the Below, the residence of those destined to eternities of despair. It wanted life.

Unquestioning of the light's methods, the form took a winding course through yet more thick, Cimmerian shade, though it never appeared as thick as near the shell. Soon, it closed its eyes, resting for the possible trials ahead, only relying on the sense of the beam to know where to move. It did not last too much longer though.

At the top of a steep mountain sat a pair of crimson-shaded doors several stories high - at least, in the perspective of the form. The light shone on the golden handles near the bottom, just at the shadow's head in height. A luminous sheen, the reflection of light from the handles blinded it, causing a reflexive shielding of the face by the form to follow. Getting accustomed, it held out an adumbral claw, grasping the right one. It singed the hand, burning against its force, but the form did not give up. It overcame the flame, grappled to rip the door open and succeeded. Then it took a leap, plunging fast into the unknown as the apertures swung shut.

Kerie Swenson sprang up in bed, taking in a vast breath of air and the first surroundings she had seen in six full years.

As Kerie woke in another world, Remiel Shyren heard a scream in his mind. Of what character, he did not know. The only thing he could inference was that it held special meaning, a symbol of something to yet be found. To test a thought, he howled in the same tone he heard it in, then waited.

The scream returned to him. Rem picked out the typing: reunion. Overjoyed screaming over the sensation of coming together again. He smiled, thinking that someone of his race still roamed the far reaches of Kimerek.

Planting his left foot on a large, pale rock, he scanned the surrounding land. Crevices streaked the region, running in all directions, crisscrossing in some places like tic-tac-toe boards. Blue-green seas swept the shores to the southeast, almost behind him, and the northwest, in the opposite direction. The red clouds sailed like schooners low over the western seaboard and beyond, but nowhere else did they present themselves. That typically registered to Remiel as promising weather ahead.

"Looks good, so let's go," he shouted, to no soul in particular. He added, in mind the owner of the scream, "I'm coming for you!" Lowering his hands, then clasped over his mouth to add effect, he patted them on his cloak and stepped off the rock. Folding his limbs back inside the wrap, he took slow, cautious steps in the direction of the shoreline, turning gradually eastward and heading in his previous vector. He had no direct idea as to why he did that, but a stray thought entered his domain: it was for fun.

Did that even exist?

It was something he pondered over for the next few minutes, all the while making no haste, wandering stray from the path countless times to sit on a boulder, fallen tree, crushed house, or anything of that semblance, and simply contemplate. He could not help it.

It was both human and Kimerekian nature to question everything. Rem missed both of them.

By the time Remiel reached the edge of the crevice-laden zone, he had run out of options on which to sit and think upon. Resorting to musing on the go, he made significantly greater progress in the following two hours. That was the time it took for him to lose his cloak in a blustering gale and get his visor dented by a rogue roof shingle. On both counts he found it startling that he had not suffered the two losses earlier, when in the fierce winds he faced shortly after exiting the perimeter of the temple. Fortunately, the loss of a cloak meant no ill effects, as the wind had died down in the thirty minutes since.

On the far side of Kimerek, the skies were known for their titian and tangerine colors, broad bands of auburn, sepia and bright orange lining the horizons as the sun set. Overhead, the divide between green and orange rested, a thin, translucent line splitting the heavens down the middle. Taking a few steps into the orange section, Rem watched the green sky vanish, completely covered by peach and scarlet air. He had never felt the sensation before, but he deducted that a special field of sorts was what divided the zenith and colored it that way from each side. Under the shield was where the two tints could be seen together. Bewildered, Remiel shifted his head away and continued walking, now treading the cold of Kimerek - the pole.

White sheets of snow fell like rain in the distance, not quite sleet-speed but accelerated enough to be dangerous. Curled, towering glaciers rippled as if frozen tsunamis in an ocean of watery crystals. The edge of the main shelf tipped up like a weight had been placed on the other side, somewhat akin to a seesaw. Lanceolate spires of niveous ice shot forth from drifting bergs encircled by broken floes. Much a great exaggeration of Earth's poles, but the sense of foreboding exponentiated here.

"This must be the place. Those I seek have only one place untouched by ruin. Here," Rem said, extending the talons on his limbs and crawling on all fours across a lopsided chunk. Hooking his hands and feet into the ice, he propelled himself like a jaguar through the air, landing deftly in the middle of another one. The heart of the main shelf lay just ahead, fifteen or so bergs away. Invigorated by the challenge, Remiel growled and bounded across the next few in a matter of seconds, dashed across a lengthy one, then screeched to a halt and sprung over a strip of frigid water. Hitting the next iceberg on the side set him on edge, but it did not stop his surging across the last seven even quicker. He just wanted it over with.

Unhinging from the frost and standing back on his hind legs, Rem surveyed the spiraling mountain in the center of the shelf for an alcove of any sort. Nothing popped out like a party whistle sans a small cave sitting halfway up the slope. It seemed abandoned, but what other choice presented itself? Not one.

Starting towards the carved stairs at the base of the glacier, he shivered suddenly. In all of his tense excitement, Remiel had failed to register the algid temperatures calling this voided wasteland home. Huffing, he jogged across the remainder of the open shelf, diving into the shelter of the cavern serving as the stairway's threshold once the opportunity presented itself. He cut his shoulder on an asperous spike of ice jutting from the side of the entrance, but the cold numbed it.

Picking himself up and into a kneeling position, Rem stared at the highest reaches of the staircase. Shadows dominated the ceilings of each level, but some light shone at the top, illuminating his hope as well.

Rem stood and charged up the steps, going much faster than he had at the temple, as he now had motivation. Those he sought awaited him there.

I shall gain readmittance to this world. At last.

The shock portrayed by the panel of nurses was mirrored by that of Kerie's, a wide-eyed expression fit for a jack-in-the-box. Both parties seemed astounded at the eye contact now being initiated, but such was not the case for Kerie or the doctor. He stepped forward calmly, clearing his throat in the middle of his last step towards the foot of her bed.

"Good evening, Miss Swenson. How are you doing?" he said, no doubt experienced in this art. "I am Dr. Westfall."

"Where am I, Dr. Westfall, sir?" Kerie said, confused. A white sheet spread out over her, below her a baby blue mattress. Vertical strips of alternating brown and white covered the walls, and the tiles were a dark gray. A couple tubes rested in her wrists, pumping fluids continuously. The monitor still beeped, registering a fast, pulsating heart riddled with anxiety.

"You are in Little Rock Memorial Hospital. In the Emergency Room," he said.

"Why am I in the freaking ER!?" Kerie exclaimed, scowling. Inside her mind, she was trying to piece together why her voice sounded so much deeper.

"Calm down, Miss Swenson. We do not know the name of your predicament, per se, but we believe you have been in a coma for six years. You should not be able to talk, I'm afraid, but this seems to be a special case," Dr. Westfall said.

That solved it. Holding up her hands, Kerie noticed that they had grown in size seemingly overnight. Testing her voice with random noises, she heard the difference. Peering under the sheets, her stomach area had thinned, most likely from the lack of food, but the rest had expanded quite a bit. Her hair was not as long as she expected, but it sufficed. She especially became distraught when she thought her piercings had closed up, but when she felt around, the hole still remained. The butterflies and a cup of water were what she asked for first.

After inserting them, belting down half of the liquid, and becoming accustomed to her new body, she remembered.

Reis.

"Oh no! Where's Reis!? Where is he!? Oh no . . . !" Kerie said, looking around the room until two nurses seized her arms and set her down on the pillow.

"Miss Swenson, calm down!" Dr. Westfalll ordered, forceful in his tone. "Who is this 'Reis' you speak of? Is she a friend?"

"No, he's my love! I need to find him! Now! Please, let me find him!" She began to cry when Payden and a grown-up Addie Shatner burst into the room, followed by Brady Shallock two seconds later.

Payden's entrance became marked by tears of happiness and a cutthroat hug. "Kerie! I missed you so much . . . We're so glad you're awake now, right, guys?"

Addie, still not nearly as tall as the others but seventeen nonetheless, also took a turn hugging Kerie, as well as spraying her bucket's worth. A diamond stud on the left side of her nose seemed to be the only new addition to her ensemble. "Kerie, we all missed you. You have no idea how happy we are now," she said.

Brady stepped forward and brought Payden and Kerie together. "I'm her boyfriend, Brady. She's told me so much about you. I'm glad you're back in this world too," he assented, now welling up with water too.

"Yeah, I'm glad too. It was bad down there, I think," Kerie said, lightly giggling. The rest of the girls joined in while Brady stood and watched from the wall.

After a few seconds, Kerie pushed them back, now grave. "Alright. Where is Reis?"

Utter silence.

It took twenty seconds for Payden to speak up, but "up" was a hilarious aggrandizement - a dropping pin would interrupt her. "He's gone. Melted into the ground. Remember . . . ?"

Kerie sat unresponsively, then came alive as she pieced it together. Falling over onto her pillow, she cried.

Dr. Westfall stepped forward, leaning over her writhing body. "Escort her down the hall, will you young ones? Thank you."

Without waiting for a response, the doctor strode off down the other way, a funnel of green aprons and masks bringing up the rear. Brady, Addie and Payden took a limb or two of Kerie's, lifted, and carried the tortured girl to the doorway. Setting her feet down, Brady and Payden took her arms and moved her as if she were on crutches. Addie followed suit, idle.

"Calm, Kerie, calm," Payden said, putting one finger over Kerie's lips. "Shhhh."

"But, Reis is gone . . ." she muttered, hanging her head down, again in defeat. At least this time she lived.

Brady, taking a casual pace and not breaking a sweat, asked, "How far down the hall is it that we're taking her?"

Addie said from behind, "I guess however long he wants us to. Or-"

Ahead of them, a portion of the wall lit up and burned away, replaced by an elliptical metal plate. Brady and Payden brought Kerie closer, examining it. Then it came alive.

A ring of blue and green revolved on the outside of the oval, and the center expanded with a flowering of those same colors. Like a hologram from a science fiction movie, the image of a humanoid lifeform sprang into being on the plate. The plate now resembled a mirror the size of a standard doorway.

This lifeform had a visored helmet and gray skin. It seemed to be in an icy cave with a low ceiling speckled with cold, dangling spears. The thing had been scanning the cave but stopped when it noticed the mirror. Stepping closer, it tore off its helmet. An insect-like face, with mandibles, plates, no nose, black and white skin and cobalt eyes, stared at them.

Kerie looked up and screamed. When she did, it looked surprised, then relieved. A slightly discernible smile spread across its face. It mouthed something that the humans could not read, drawing forth their shrugs. It then knew that it was soundproof.

Leaning closer and with no smile, the humanoid insect reached for the glass - if it was glass at all - and slowly traced shapes with its index finger. The condensation let it form imprints.

No, not imprints or shapes. Letters.

Standing back, the insect let Kerie Swenson absorb the three words written in smeared but readable print. She gawked.

I am Reis
***​
Words: 4,998​

~AoH

RE: [PG] The Meltdown Trilogy *Second book added*

Glad you continued this! I like the suspense in this, and also Reis's form- very creative. Looking forward to the last book!

RE: [PG] The Meltdown Trilogy *Second book added*

Thank you again. My largest problem if I do continue this is the fact that I last wrote Freeze Out almost exactly a year ago. I still have a grip on where I want the story to lead, but I have that rust we all know about. Just hoping that I will be able to finish it this summer or something.

~AoH

nice job I really like it. Ps. my favorite song is satellite by rise against

[private]Giving him a few hours to add more to his post. ~IA[/private]

Back