Penny, Arven, Jacq, and Other Trainer Cards Revealed from “Scarlet & Violet!”

Nest Ball is great and needed with Quick Ball leaving.

Penny can be great if we get some massive basic ex's like Blissey V, especially if they have a decent 1 energy attack.

Stone Breastplate is pretty nice for fighting types especially with Cape of Toughness and Big Charm rotating... I wish it existed back when Falinks V came out.

Electricity Generator seems pretty insane. It would have already been a staple in electric decks and seen plenty of play if it only attached 1 or only looked at the top 3 cards and attached 2... but it just seems so overtuned for an item card. Even crazier in Expanded where Thunder Mountain Prism Star, Tapu Koko Prism Star, Electropower, and Max Elixir are a thing.

Also I may actually run Arven now in my Expanded supertank decks (Dracozolt VMAX, Coalossal VMAX, etc etc) with the Tool changes as being able to search Big Parasol is really important since Korrina/Volkner/etc etc no longer do so... granted I run 4 Green's Exploration in those decks, but I don't always draw one.

Electricity generator seems kinda.... Overpowered, no? I wonder why they are putting so much into electric types.

Nest ball is nice, I'm a fan.
It's targeted hate for both Lugia and Palkia. Business as usual, frankly.

I hope there are some other interesting cards in the set, but we're definitely looking at the emergence of a dominant lightning archetype or two.

we're definitely looking at the emergence of a dominant lightning archetype or two.

I'd go way beyond that. This card will be for lightning types what Welder was for fire types, in the sense that, for the entire period that the card is legal, all lightning cards will have it's viability and power level analyzed in the context that this card exists. I think it will be that huge.

Going to join the chorus of people saying Electricity Generator seems overpowered. It sometimes seems like Creatures is horrified at the thought of a new deck archetype that they're committed to making a big thing not being powerful enough, so they need to pile on to make sure it's great. Interestingly I was just thinking earlier that a Supporter card that found 2 evolutions would make sense as something to release soon, and it's happened here.

Well, Koraidon has Penny and Breastplate, since its ability only works on Basic Pokemons. ?? But ending your turn is pretty bad.. ?
It's a negligeble downside. Intrepid Sword also ended your turn and for at least 2-3 sets it was absolutely busted. It's your first turn? Ramp 2 and end. Can't exactly attack this turn? Ramp 2 and end. Remember that even if you can only ramp to a basic, that basic is allowed to evolve (provided it survives a turn).
In a type where most of the pokemon needs a bunch of energies to attack and ramp is near non-existent, Koraidon is never bad.

Back