Over-Simplicity: Is it an Issue

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
While I was browsing through old articles on http://google.com/, I found this one about how our current metagame and the cards it is comprised of have been lackluster in terms of complexity...

http://http://google.com/.com/2014/10/10/6-and-up-the-overt-simplification-of-the-pokemon-tcg/

Personally, I prefer simplicity over over-complexity. What do you guys feel?

RE: Over-simplicity: Is it an issue?

Personally, I agree with simplicity. What the author, IMO, is that there is still complexity. Not just that the new expansions are becoming more unique... but honestly, deck strategies are still complex. If you gave a Vir/Gen to a newcomer, how easily would they pull it off? Or a Big Basics/Fairy Tool Box? The probably would have trouble at the very least.

RE: Over-simplicity: Is it an issue?

I think we're missing the point of the article in which the author wants that balance of simplicity (thus making it easier for new players to take a deck and use) but also have that complexity of knowing what's ahead in their game.

In my opinion, I think he's rather wrong in wanting that complexity return when we already have a decent selection of decks that could be used. The meta of that period is gone, it's no longer a thinking game but one that trades on the thought of 'what will happen next' rather than 'using my cards to confound and pull off an oft-brilliant strategy'. That strategy is still there but it doesn't require much to do so as compared to the era he wanted.

RE: Over-Simplicity: Is it an issue?

Woah, 6P is being the TCG equivalent to a genwunner? What will happen next!

Frost Mage said:

To be fair, that time in the TCG was arguably the most diverse, fun, and challenging format. Deck building was a skill that you either had or didn't and could make or break any given match. Little things like this aren't present anymore. Every deck runs the same trainers, regardless of what deck it is, which leads to a rather overly simple meta, even at the advanced stages. I'm kind of with the author on this on. PTCG peaked for me around the release of BW base set, has been stupidly boring and repetitive and dull ever since. Primal Clash looks like a step in the right direction for me though!

thood said:
Frost Mage said:

To be fair, that time in the TCG was arguably the most diverse, fun, and challenging format. Deck building was a skill that you either had or didn't and could make or break any given match. Little things like this aren't present anymore. Every deck runs the same trainers, regardless of what deck it is, which leads to a rather overly simple meta, even at the advanced stages. I'm kind of with the author on this on. PTCG peaked for me around the release of BW base set, has been stupidly boring and repetitive and dull ever since. Primal Clash looks like a step in the right direction for me though!

Arguably being the main word there. Deckbuilding is ABSOLUTELY still a huge skill to have. What do you mean every deck runs the same trainers? Juniper and N are called "staples" for a reason.

Frost Mage said:
Arguably being the main word there. Deckbuilding is ABSOLUTELY still a huge skill to have. What do you mean every deck runs the same trainers? Juniper and N are called "staples" for a reason.

It doesn't just end with with Juniper and N though. Almost all decks run the same 20 Trainer cards : x4 Juniper, x4 N, x3 Skyla/Korrina, x2-3 Lysandre, x3 Ultra Ball, x3-4 Muscle Band, x2-4 Switch. That's the same 21-25 cards in almost every deck. That means AT LEAST 1/3 of every deck is the exact same, not even including Energy or Pokemon counts. This leads to a rather stale format.

thood said:
Frost Mage said:

It doesn't just end with with Juniper and N though. Almost all decks run the same 20 Trainer cards : x4 Juniper, x4 N, x3 Skyla/Korrina, x2-3 Lysandre, x3 Ultra Ball, x3-4 Muscle Band, x2-4 Switch. That's the same 21-25 cards in almost every deck. That means AT LEAST 1/3 of every deck is the exact same, not even including Energy or Pokemon counts. This leads to a rather stale format.

I don't know how to respond to this, to be honest. That's just untrue.

Frost Mage said:
thood said:

How is it untrue? It's absolutely true that every deck in format runs the same 20 Trainer cards. It's because they are needed to do well. You're at a disadvantage by not playing these cards. Choosing Tierno and Shauna over Juniper and N will cause your deck to suffer consistency and draw power. Not running Muscle Band means your Pokemon won't be scoring those crucial OHKOs or 2HKOs. That's just how this format is, which is rather unfortunate because again, it cause archetypes to have cookie cutter decklists, with around 3-4 spots for techs. Pretty stale if you ask me.

IMO toad makes the format a lot more stale than the large amount of staples, but I do agree with your argument.

grantm1999 said:
IMO toad makes the format a lot more stale than the large amount of staples, but I do agree with your argument.

Completely agree with you on Seismitoad too. He isn't "broken," but he severely limits Stage 2's and definitely leads to a stale format as well. I really wish they would change the Rare Candy mechanic to get around this. Make it a tool, or make a supporter card that lets you search for a Stage 2 Pokemon, and place it onto its basic Pokemon. Because the way Toad is right now, there is almost no way for Stage 2 decks to compete against Toad.

Though I don't have many complaints about the current format (other than the toad being ridiculously broken), I get what the author is saying. Cards are pretty simple compared to previous formats (which I admit I didn't play in, but am just going off of the scans on Pokebeach). A lot of the current draw supporters are pretty simplified. A lot of them are Shuffle/Discard hand and draw X amount of cards. In the past, there were cards like rival (diamond and pearl) which let you look at the top 5 cards of your deck and force your opponent to give you 3 of them.

I mean, I still think the current format is fine and enjoy playing it, but I wouldn't mind more of these cards which require both players participation (like Teammates).

thood said:
Frost Mage said:

How is it untrue? It's absolutely true that every deck in format runs the same 20 Trainer cards. It's because they are needed to do well. You're at a disadvantage by not playing these cards. Choosing Tierno and Shauna over Juniper and N will cause your deck to suffer consistency and draw power. Not running Muscle Band means your Pokemon won't be scoring those crucial OHKOs or 2HKOs. That's just how this format is, which is rather unfortunate because again, it cause archetypes to have cookie cutter decklists, with around 3-4 spots for techs. Pretty stale if you ask me.

You obviously have no idea how competitive decks work.

thood said:

I agree with this. The first thing I did when I got into Pokemon in real life was buy 4 Sycamore, 4 N, 2 Skyla, 2 Colress, 2 Lysandre, 4 Muscle Band, and 4 Ultra Ball because I knew I'd be using them in almost every deck I would ever build until they rotated. Also, at the time, Startling Megaphone was in almost every deck to counter Garbodor. This is also the reason I can't have more than one deck built at any one time, they share too many cards. There are cases where a certain deck won't play staples for a specific reason (like an Exeggutor lock deck not playing N to avoid refreshing the opponents hand or a pure water deck playing Dive Ball instead of Ultra Ball), but they are very much the exception rather than the rule.

Aside from Pokemon, I've only ever dabbled casually in Magic: TG and Hearthstone. I didn't notice staple cards in those games. Is it a common occurrence in TCGs?

Well, to be perfectly honest, with the release of all the new xy sets, i think youre going to see the quote/un-quote staple cards shift in usage a bit as people are going to have to adapt to a format where Mega EX's may very well become the dominant play. things like dropping an early N or Skyla for a tool or an item early game arent going to matter as much because honestly, the setup game is a lot longer than it was even last format. things like turn 2 megalo cannon with virgen and turn 2 deluge blastoise just dont have the muscle to score one-shots against everything anymore, certainly not before an Yveltal can set up. Even Black Ballista cant one shot a properly set up primal now, even with a muscle band. so things are going to change when people realize that the very nature of the exchanges at hand on the table are going to shift. Trust me, when N rotates, you're gonna see a BIG shift in the way decks are built alone, being free of the fear of getting hand-crunched does a LOT for your creativity.

Coming from a background in YuGiOh I find the "simplicity" of this game refreshing. While the cards themselves might be simple the complexity of the interactions makes up for it, Float Stone Keldeo for example.

For an example of a recent-ish card in YuGiOh, Redox, Dragon Ruler of Boulders reads;

If this card is in your hand or Graveyard: You can banish a total of 2 EARTH and/or Dragon-Type monsters from your hand and/or Graveyard, except this card; Special Summon this card. During your opponent's End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned: Return it to the hand. You can discard this card and 1 EARTH monster to the Graveyard, then target 1 monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target. If this card is banished: You can add 1 EARTH Dragon-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use 1 "Redox, Dragon Ruler of Boulders" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

That level of complexity gets old quick. It can get worse as well with things like Necloths that have similarly lengthy effects and required spell cards to summon them which also have mini essays for text. I won't even get into the craziness of rulings either, a semi colon in a card text can change how the whole thing works.

And as far as staples go that's the same for every game when you compete on a tournament level. Many decks only have one way to build them with a few spots open for tech.

^

lol don't get me started on Yugioh. It's almost to the point where the rules make more sense in the anime than in the TCG.

Honestly, it's the simplest cards which have the most strategy behind them. Take Energy Switch, a simple card with a specific function, but it's a function that opens up some big plays (and it's becoming a one of in a lot of my decks because of how versatile it is).

As someone who stopped playing the TCG because it was becoming increasingly obvious that I was no longer the target audience (being older than 12), I think that yes, the TCG has become increasingly simple, to the point where I don't see how it's even possible to deny it. Look at any, and I mean any, fully-evolved e-card, and compare it to any fully evolved BW-on card and tell me there is not a noticeable difference in complexity. And no, I cannot imagine deckbuilding has become more complex when the number of possible interactions has gone down significantly. If most attacks do simple numerical damage with little to no extra effects, having more possible synergies seems essentially impossible. If Vir/Gen is the height of competitive complexity, I don't want to know what the bottom is like.

I'm not here to discuss the reality of a decrease in complexity, though, I'm here to discuss the implications. Simplicity is obviously used to attract a younger audience. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that market research during Platinum showed that less and less kids were buying boosters. This doesn't surprise me, the average age of Pokémon players increases as the old-skool kids get older (but keep on playing), but the sales don't seem to be rising as much. Instead of accepting this and focussing on both younger players and the older segment they have apparently decided to go all-in on the younger players (8 to 14, roughly). This seems reasonable, but I don't like it one bit. I'm going to try to explain why based on the 3 psychographic profiles used to design Magic the Gathering cards. Here's a full article (a very interesting read), but to summarise:
Timmy plays the game for fun, they tend to like big creatures, flashy cards, cool design, etc. Most younger players are Timmies. Also, the reason Pokémon-EX exist is almost solely to please Timmy.
Johnny plays the game to be creative. They like to build creative decks, do weird stuff, etc. If Johnny wins one game in 20, but in a very unique and surprising way, they're happy.
Spike wants to win. That's it. Spike doesn't care if it's "lame", if a card is "broken", Spike will copy complete decklists off of the internet if that will make them win.

What the TCG has been doing by reducing simplicity is focus almost solely on the Timmy players. While Spike is still allowed to win, it's become easier and easier. Because so few cards differ in anything but power level, it's not hard to decide which the best cards are and play them. When things like Mewtwo EX come along — broken things which because of fewer options in terms of effects have no real counters — Spike will play those. But it's easy, Spike doesn't have to study the metagame much, Spike doesn't have to optimise their deck. Spike just has to build the best deck and win. They'll be happy (to the extent Spike can be happy), but the game won't keep them occupied. Johnny (full disclosure: I'm a total Johnny) gets hit the hardest. Because few, if any, cards have any interesting effects, it's very hard to make a unique deck. Durant seemed kind of fun, and there's definitely a few possible alternative strategies, but nothing like back in the day. When I didn't play a rogue deck, I usually played a very weird fringe deck, one of which was based on the Regigigas lvX in the article. The point of the deck was to get Energy in the discard (there were some Pokémon which did this, as well as a few supporters, most notably Felicity's Drawing). This would allow you to hit for 100 on turn 2 using his Poké-Power pretty consistenly. Then the point was to play lots of basics with come-into-play effects (Most notably of course Uxie), use the effect and the sacrifice them to keep Regigigas alive (its power healed for 8, and it was almost impossible to kill it in 1 hit for every Pokémon but Machamp). One of the 2 decent Regigigas you could level up from (both were decent, though), allowed you to remove all Special Conditions from Regigigas if you attached an Energy to it, so that protected you from Special Conditions.
Against Machamp I used Unown G, which could be searched for with my basic Pokémon searchers (also used to fetch both the Pokémon to discard energy with and the Pokémon to sacrifice, as well as Regigigas, obiously) and which could be attached to Regigigas to prevent all effects, excluding damage, essentially nullifying Machamp's first attack. The deck had a wide verity of Pokémon, a lot of weird interacting parts, and a trainer pool which was essentially unique for that deck. This wasn't even close to the most complicated deck I've played, though, that would be Mynx (look it up). When I see newer cards, I don't feel exited one bit. The only recent card I remember being intrigued by was Gothitelle FFI, and only because of possible interactions with cards in formats long past. The recent TCG is not for Johnny.

So that leaves Timmy. Timmy has it all, they have super flashy big cards with massive numbers. And they're basic! Timmy can add a bunch to their deck without having to go through the trouble of trying to be consistent! Timmy is happy, I'm sure of it. But Timmy doesn't always stay Timmy. I've watched many a Timmy grow into Spikes, I've watched myself become more and more of a Johnny. These guys don't stick with Pokémon, and if they ever left they sure aren't coming back. That means the TCG has to rely mostly on a constantly renewing market, and no market is as fickly as children's entertainment. And the worst thing is, I don't think they have to. I was a mostly a Timmy-kid during Base Set (though not as Charizard-loving as most, and I did have Johnny tendencies even back then), when the cards were about as simple as they are now, but I think growing up with the Neo sets, the e-series, the EX series, etc. has thought me a lot about strategic thinking, analysing problems, finding connections, and loads of other skills I think the current TCG doesn't imbue anymore. I didn't mind that the cards were complicated, it motivated me. Most kids ignore the more complicated cards, or at least ignore the interactions, but I feel that those who do want to get more out of the game, those who do want to learn, are no longer given that opportunity. Dumbing down the game helps no-one, except for maybe Nintendo's finances.

I also think there are different kinds of complexity. I'm not advocating Yu-Gi-Oh-levels of text on cards, it's a game not an interactive rulebook. But you can have complex interactions without having complex cards. Magic, for example, is known for being a pretty complex game, with lots of weird combos and strategies, and it doesn't even have half as much text on the average card as Yu-Gi-Oh. On the other hands, Yu-Gi-Oh always struck me as a rather simplistic game, where raw power outshines synergy, and it has lots of text. Pokémon has the possibility of being complex without being wordy. It's in my opinion the best TCG ever designed, because it allows for so much consistency and so many interesting interactions and though choices, but the current TCG doesn't seem to embrace this. And yes, I do think that's a problem.

TL;DR: Yes, the game has undeniably become less complex. Yes, this is a problem. A less complex game only focusses on a specific segment and makes the market for the game less stable. It also doesn't motivate kids to think more about the game, and makes the game less interesting in terms of strategy and deckbuilding. More complexity doesn't have to mean more text, but it does mean more interesting interactions, which the current game lacks.

Heavenly Spoon said:
As someone who stopped playing the TCG because it was becoming increasingly obvious that I was no longer the target audience (being older than 12), I think that yes, the TCG has become increasingly simple, to the point where I don't see how it's even possible to deny it. Look at any, and I mean any, fully-evolved e-card, and compare it to any fully evolved BW-on card and tell me there is not a noticeable difference in complexity. And no, I cannot imagine deckbuilding has become more complex when the number of possible interactions has gone down significantly. If most attacks do simple numerical damage with little to no extra effects, having more possible synergies seems essentially impossible. If Vir/Gen is the height of competitive complexity, I don't want to know what the bottom is like.

I'm not here to discuss the reality of a decrease in complexity, though, I'm here to discuss the implications. Simplicity is obviously used to attract a younger audience. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that market research during Platinum showed that less and less kids were buying boosters. This doesn't surprise me, the average age of Pokémon players increases as the old-skool kids get older (but keep on playing), but the sales don't seem to be rising as much. Instead of accepting this and focussing on both younger players and the older segment they have apparently decided to go all-in on the younger players (8 to 14, roughly). This seems reasonable, but I don't like it one bit. I'm going to try to explain why based on the 3 psychographic profiles used to design Magic the Gathering cards. Here's a full article (a very interesting read), but to summarise:
Timmy plays the game for fun, they tend to like big creatures, flashy cards, cool design, etc. Most younger players are Timmies. Also, the reason Pokémon-EX exist is almost solely to please Timmy.
Johnny plays the game to be creative. They like to build creative decks, do weird stuff, etc. If Johnny wins one game in 20, but in a very unique and surprising way, they're happy.
Spike wants to win. That's it. Spike doesn't care if it's "lame", if a card is "broken", Spike will copy complete decklists off of the internet if that will make them win.

What the TCG has been doing by reducing simplicity is focus almost solely on the Timmy players. While Spike is still allowed to win, it's become easier and easier. Because so few cards differ in anything but power level, it's not hard to decide which the best cards are and play them. When things like Mewtwo EX come along — broken things which because of fewer options in terms of effects have no real counters — Spike will play those. But it's easy, Spike doesn't have to study the metagame much, Spike doesn't have to optimise their deck. Spike just has to build the best deck and win. They'll be happy (to the extent Spike can be happy), but the game won't keep them occupied. Johnny (full disclosure: I'm a total Johnny) gets hit the hardest. Because few, if any, cards have any interesting effects, it's very hard to make a unique deck. Durant seemed kind of fun, and there's definitely a few possible alternative strategies, but nothing like back in the day. When I didn't play a rogue deck, I usually played a very weird fringe deck, one of which was based on the Regigigas lvX in the article. The point of the deck was to get Energy in the discard (there were some Pokémon which did this, as well as a few supporters, most notably Felicity's Drawing). This would allow you to hit for 100 on turn 2 using his Poké-Power pretty consistenly. Then the point was to play lots of basics with come-into-play effects (Most notably of course Uxie), use the effect and the sacrifice them to keep Regigigas alive (its power healed for 8, and it was almost impossible to kill it in 1 hit for every Pokémon but Machamp). One of the 2 decent Regigigas you could level up from (both were decent, though), allowed you to remove all Special Conditions from Regigigas if you attached an Energy to it, so that protected you from Special Conditions.
Against Machamp I used Unown G, which could be searched for with my basic Pokémon searchers (also used to fetch both the Pokémon to discard energy with and the Pokémon to sacrifice, as well as Regigigas, obiously) and which could be attached to Regigigas to prevent all effects, excluding damage, essentially nullifying Machamp's first attack. The deck had a wide verity of Pokémon, a lot of weird interacting parts, and a trainer pool which was essentially unique for that deck. This wasn't even close to the most complicated deck I've played, though, that would be Mynx (look it up). When I see newer cards, I don't feel exited one bit. The only recent card I remember being intrigued by was Gothitelle FFI, and only because of possible interactions with cards in formats long past. The recent TCG is not for Johnny.

So that leaves Timmy. Timmy has it all, they have super flashy big cards with massive numbers. And they're basic! Timmy can add a bunch to their deck without having to go through the trouble of trying to be consistent! Timmy is happy, I'm sure of it. But Timmy doesn't always stay Timmy. I've watched many a Timmy grow into Spikes, I've watched myself become more and more of a Johnny. These guys don't stick with Pokémon, and if they ever left they sure aren't coming back. That means the TCG has to rely mostly on a constantly renewing market, and no market is as fickly as children's entertainment. And the worst thing is, I don't think they have to. I was a mostly a Timmy-kid during Base Set (though not as Charizard-loving as most, and I did have Johnny tendencies even back then), when the cards were about as simple as they are now, but I think growing up with the Neo sets, the e-series, the EX series, etc. has thought me a lot about strategic thinking, analysing problems, finding connections, and loads of other skills I think the current TCG doesn't imbue anymore. I didn't mind that the cards were complicated, it motivated me. Most kids ignore the more complicated cards, or at least ignore the interactions, but I feel that those who do want to get more out of the game, those who do want to learn, are no longer given that opportunity. Dumbing down the game helps no-one, except for maybe Nintendo's finances.

I also think there are different kinds of complexity. I'm not advocating Yu-Gi-Oh-levels of text on cards, it's a game not an interactive rulebook. But you can have complex interactions without having complex cards. Magic, for example, is known for being a pretty complex game, with lots of weird combos and strategies, and it doesn't even have half as much text on the average card as Yu-Gi-Oh. On the other hands, Yu-Gi-Oh always struck me as a rather simplistic game, where raw power outshines synergy, and it has lots of text. Pokémon has the possibility of being complex without being wordy. It's in my opinion the best TCG ever designed, because it allows for so much consistency and so many interesting interactions and though choices, but the current TCG doesn't seem to embrace this. And yes, I do think that's a problem.

TL;DR: Yes, the game has undeniably become less complex. Yes, this is a problem. A less complex game only focusses on a specific segment and makes the market for the game less stable. It also doesn't motivate kids to think more about the game, and makes the game less interesting in terms of strategy and deckbuilding. More complexity doesn't have to mean more text, but it does mean more interesting interactions, which the current game lacks.

This was beautiful.

In order to really see why simplicity exists in the Pokemon TCG in the first place, you have to really look through and examine the history of the metagame and what each individual generation was like.

Look at Base Set. When Wizards of the Coast first got rights to work on a Pokemon-themed Trading Card Game, they had many mindsets at the time. Pokemon was mostly a young kids game, so it had to be simplistic in order to keep the attention of players of all ages. Making a game as complex as MTG would scare off younger players, so making the game easy to learn was key, and man was Base Set a snoozer.

The best card in the game at the time, Hitmonchan, had only 2 attacks, both of which did damage without additional effects. Other attackers weren't impressive, either. Gyarados does 40 for 4 with a chance of Paralysis, Ninetales does 80 for 4 with a discard, Dragonair flips 2 coins for an attack, so on. The most complicated card of Base Set was Clefairy, and even today I still don't understand completely how it works, and I run an entire BLOG about the Metagame!

The game didn't start getting odd until Team Rocket's release, where the game got slightly more varied. Dark Arbok would do damage, poison, and spread to the bench. However, even though an older player can notice rules behind a specific card, younger players can't. Cards like Dark Dugtrio probably caused a lot of confusion between the difference of Retreating and Switching.

Around the release of the Gym sets is when Wizards started noticing how the game was starting to attract to a mix of all ages rather than just children, so this is when the game became even more noticably complicated. In addition to the introduction of Stadium cards, many cards in general were pretty confusing on how to use. Brock's Ninetales comes to mind. Rocket's Mewtwo also became the first card to feature a combination of 3 attributes(attacks/powers).

The release of Neo made Pokemon cards a lot more unique than before, with many cards stepping outside of the norm in terms of what they do. If you told a modern kid today that Riptide Feraligatr was a good card, he/she would probably scratch his/her head in confusion. Baby Pokemon were also introduced, Tools were featured, and the amount of text on each card became significantly larger. Just compare Neo Revelation Crobat to Fossil Golbat and you'll defenitely notice the change.

E-series didn't change up the game much, but it did add Supporters and the difference between Poke-Bodies and Poke-Powers. Many Pokemon also started featuring 3 attributes much more often. The Eeveelutions from Skyridge, Scizor from Aquapolis, you get the idea. Yes, things were just like this and no-one really complained for the most part.

However, the release of the EX series was when things started getting curious. This was when Pokemania kind of died down, and the only people that played the TCG were fans of the game prior to Gen 3. As such, EX didn't bring anything too major to the game outside of Delta Species. Nintendo also took over the game at this point, so they didn't really have a concrete idea on where to go from there.

But then, Gen 4 happened. Pokemania came back, and this was when things like competitive battling and a strong fanbase among teens started springing to life. Because of how the Pokemon franchise was slowly getting back to it's more mature roots from the E-series, Pokemon made the rough choice of making cards MUCH more complicated. This choice was made moreso because the Pokemon franchise was more popular at the time with mature audiences than ever before.

HGSS came around, and this is when the 'controversial' choices started rising. Cards became MUCH more simplistic, and the only card from the first HGSS set to feature 3 attributes was Donphan Prime, like the original post mentions. The Baby mechanic that had been around ever since Neo was finally changed so they just acted like Basics that shared a common Poke-Body. Primes had no differences than regular cards aside from being better and rarer, and even Holos were outright unplayable! Azumarill, Arcanine, Hitmontop, you guys make me sick...

So, why the sudden simplification? Well, my guess is because this is around the time when Pokemon finally pulled back in the appeal it had towards younger players. As such, accomadations had to be made. Besides, do you really think a child at the age of 6 could Poke-turn a Luxray GL Lvl X out of the Active spot, promote a Garchomp C, use 2 Poke-drawer + at the same time to search out Garchomp C Lvl X & another Poke-turn, play Garchomp C Lvl X to heal off your Bronzong G's and other Pokemon, play down Luxray GL, Poke-turn that Garchomp C Lvl X, promote Luxray GL, play Luxray GL Lvl X to pull out a bencher, re-attach the initial Energy it had and Energy Gain, and then use Flash Impact for a Knock-Out? I don't think so.

Black & White came around, and didn't really do anything special. In order to simplify the game even more, Powers and Bodies were changed to Abilities, and Pokemon no longer had 3 attributes. Yes, things were looking simpler and simpler, and there really didn't seem like anything that could change it.

Then, XY arrived, and felt disappointing at first. However, it was able to do a few things to make the game feel at least a bit better for a bit. For one, Lucario-EX had 3 attributes, a sign that the Pokemon Company might eventually go back to this formula. Phantom Forces came, and introduced Pokemon Tool F cards, adding 1 more tiny layer of depth. And then...

...Primal Clash released. The set introduced Ancient Traits and 'large illustrations', and it added 1 more layer of complexity to the game. Is it as complex as before? Not even close, but is it really an issue?

No. A simple metagame does not mean that the game is entirely devoid of complex strategy. In fact, I think it makes the game feel overall more balanced. By allowing newcomers to be able to feel comfortable playing in a competitive atmosphere that they can understand, it allows Pokemon to expand in terms of variety among players. Honestly, I still have issues with my 13-year-old brother 'Luke' about differences between Retreating and Switching, how effects wear off upon evolution, rules behind different Ancient Traits, etcetera. Heck, if nowaday cards were as complex as things like Stormfront Machamp, I don't think I could have even been able to teach my 7-year-old brother 'Nicholas' how to play.

Sometimes, simple is better. Just because it was complex once doesn't mean it has to be that way forever, and if you guys really want to play a complex Trading Card Game, just play MTG. Pokemon is for kids, Pokemon WAS for kids, and it SHOULD be for kids, regardless how old any of us become.

Back