ORAS Overview Trailer! [9/3]

RealSlim said:
Oh yes, the looks of the evil team is so important to me, in fact I like them so much! The Hoenn map looks like Tetris just like the original map... and the Dex is not a big problem to me... I never felt the "need" of a III Gen remake but, news after news about the new games, I'm just feeling very excited about them: they are smilar in the "soul", but not too much, to the original R/S... and this "not too much" is why I'm loving these remakes!

In my case it's the other way around: I don't like seeing these teams that look like something from super-heroes' movies, with bad guys that also seem to be full of cliches.

And about Hoenn, are you serious?
800px-Hoenn_RS.png

Hoenn_ORAS.png
The routes may be straight in both cases, but the overall look of Hoenn seems more natural in S/R/E, while in AS/OR it seems just a rectangle between Fallarbor and Dewforw, while to the right there's a square with Fortree and Lilycove and then other small squares, it's simply awful.

RealSlim said:
I'm just feeling very excited about them: they are smilar in the "soul", but not too much, to the original R/S... and this "not too much" is why I'm loving these remakes!

In what way are these games "not too much" similar to the originals? Because I'm not really seeing it, or at least not in the areas that I care about (gameplay and region design, in case you were wondering). The region design is a near copy/paste of the original, they haven't shown off any matter of new features in the games, they refuse to include Emerald elements even when they don't interfere with the original RS, they've been really adamant about remaining faithful to the originals in a lot of areas. Pretty much the only real changes in this game are new Mega Evolutions and an expanded storyline revolving around them.

Leaf_Ranger said:
RealSlim said:
Oh yes, the looks of the evil team is so important to me, in fact I like them so much! The Hoenn map looks like Tetris just like the original map... and the Dex is not a big problem to me... I never felt the "need" of a III Gen remake but, news after news about the new games, I'm just feeling very excited about them: they are smilar in the "soul", but not too much, to the original R/S... and this "not too much" is why I'm loving these remakes!

In my case it's the other way around: I don't like seeing these teams that look like something from super-heroes' movies, with bad guys that also seem to be full of cliches.

800px-Hoenn_RS.png

Hoenn_ORAS.png
The routes may be straight in both cases, but the overall look of Hoenn seems more natural in S/R/E, while in AS/OR it seems just a rectangle between Fallarbor and Dewforw, while to the right there's a square with Fortree and Lilycove and then other small squares, it's simply awful.
I feel the exact opposite. The new Hoenn map is much more detailed and "true" to the actual in game map IMO, and is beautifully designed. The older map is much more simple and generic, and while it has most of the highlights in the region, its more of an "artists interpretation" than anything. The newer map seems like an exact layout that they could have used for referencing when creating each location, which in turn, allows us to pick it apart and find new areas and see updated locations without actually playing the game. Plus, the new map is much better suited for use as an actual MAP if you need a reference outside of the in game TOWN MAP, or FLYING MAP.

Also, the older map is drawn from a different perspective, so as to give the region a more "rounded" feel to it, whereas the newer one is basically a full on 7/8ish top down squaring the entire region off and laying perfectly over the actual in game maps.

NoDice said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

800px-Hoenn_RS.png

Hoenn_ORAS.png
I feel the exact opposite. The new Hoenn map is much more detailed and "true" to the actual in game map IMO, and is beautifully designed. The older map is much more simple and generic, and while it has most of the highlights in the region, its more of an "artists interpretation" than anything. The newer map seems like an exact layout that they could have used for referencing when creating each location, which in turn, allows us to pick it apart and find new areas and see updated locations without actually playing the game. Plus, the new map is much better suited for use as an actual MAP if you need a reference outside of the in game TOWN MAP, or FLYING MAP.

Also, the older map is drawn from a different perspective, so as to give the region a more "rounded" feel to it, whereas the newer one is basically a full on 7/8ish top down squaring the entire region off and laying perfectly over the actual in game maps.

But do you really think making the region design blocky conveys a sense of realism? That's the thing, it's not just about the map itself but the actual in game maps as well, with the improved graphics you wouldn't think they would make the map look so blocky and squarish, they would make it look more 3D giving it a more natural, realistic feel. Whether or not the map accurately matches the in game map is beside the point, it's disappointing because it feels extremely artificial for a 3D game.

i have a theory the sneaking up on pikachu scene. occasionally you will find pokemon that hide, like that. you can do that sneaking walk naturally, and if you go up to them normally they run off. sneak, and you can enter a battle with them. they would be quite rare, but would be special in a way. to prevent everyone from getting the same "special" pikachu or whatever, make the special trait random. maybe not the "special pokemon" part, but i think the rest is a reasonable idea.

It would be a cool idea to have random "roaming" Pokémon in the overworld. They would be Pokémon you generally can't find in that route, but at other places in the region, and wandered off to be available somewhere else. It's unlikely the case, but I think it would be cool. We had swarms in generation 4, so a system like this could be a replacement for that.

Drohn said:
It would be a cool idea to have random "roaming" Pokémon in the overworld. They would be Pokémon you generally can't find in that route, but at other places in the region, and wandered off to be available somewhere else. It's unlikely the case, but I think it would be cool. We had swarms in generation 4, so a system like this could be a replacement for that.

What about the pokemon having special traits? What's your opinion on that?

Leaf_Ranger said:

I really like the new designs, I feel they're more expressive without necessarily looking like "bad guys." That's important since Maxie and Archie are either your enemy or your ally depending on what game you get. Maxie works as either evil scientist or disciplined scientist, Archie works as either evil pirate or free-spirited pirate.

Bolt the Cat said:
But do you really think making the region design blocky conveys a sense of realism? That's the thing, it's not just about the map itself but the actual in game maps as well, with the improved graphics you wouldn't think they would make the map look so blocky and squarish, they would make it look more 3D giving it a more natural, realistic feel. Whether or not the map accurately matches the in game map is beside the point, it's disappointing because it feels extremely artificial for a 3D game.

This was an issue with XY too, in my opinion. ORAS uses the same engine, so it's a little unrealistic to expect a natural, immersive overworld when they're still using a tile-based design system.

I agree with NoDice, the difference between the maps is the original is an artist's interpretation, whereas the new one is probably the first official map we've seen that's drawn to scale with how the region will appear in the games.

I'm sorry you're so down on these games because of their lack of changes so far. I like this post from Mitja that runs down all the changes visible from the map alone:

Mitja said:
thanks for the link bolt.

http://i.imgur.com/kBpu3CN.jpg

1 - Devon has additional buildings in the back (aesthetics)
2 - ...that was a one big ship o___________O (probably same as it was)
3 - city redesign (aesthetics, maybe New mauwile subplot involvement)
4 - berry farm improved (aesthetic probably)
5 - launchpad accessible rather than just decoration (aesthetic)
6 - an actual new cave, wow
7 - new diving area (also, this is where Mirage island was)
8 - new diving area
9 - obvious cloud hiding something (regigigas plz?)
10 - mysterious weather
it's a thundercloud clashing with a pure white cloud.
This likely has to do with either Thundurus/Tornadus or Zekrom/Reshiram.

green - where sky tower is.

There's certainly the possibility of more interior changes in light of this. We already know Flash probably won't be coming back. I'd be surprised if there isn't a battle tower/frontier postgame area. I agree Victory Road being another Graveler-filled dungeon crawl would be disappointing, given recent victory roads. And the scaling down of cities is another side effect of the dumb commitment to 3D. But honestly, just the updated attack sets, character art, physical/special attacks, overworld encounters, and new abilities are enough to make me excited to play through Hoenn again.

Bolt the Cat said:
NoDice said:

Yeah, I meant realism as far as detail goes, but the perspective in which they designed the map is what gives it that blocky symmetry (along with the fact the region itself is actually very linear in route design). I will admit, they did a much better job with the Kalos map in trying to not make the region look like it had a ton of straight paths(even though it does just like every other Pokemon game). I prefer the new map simply because its so vibrant and you can literally make out the detail of cave openings and each individual building, which has allowed us to pick it apart and find new areas not present in the originals.

garbodorable said:
This was an issue with XY too, in my opinion. ORAS uses the same engine, so it's a little unrealistic to expect a natural, immersive overworld when they're still using a tile-based design system.

Not when tiles aren't a necessity anymore. With the Roller Skates around there is absolutely no need to stick to a tile based design, and in fact we do have some freer areas like Lumiose City in XY. And even if they do stick to the tile based system, they could've at least avoided all of the right angles and stuff, even Unova has a few diagonal routes in the game.

garbodorable said:
I'm sorry you're so down on these games because of their lack of changes so far. I like this post from Mitja that runs down all the changes visible from the map alone:

Mitja said:
thanks for the link bolt.

http://i.imgur.com/kBpu3CN.jpg

1 - Devon has additional buildings in the back (aesthetics)
2 - ...that was a one big ship o___________O (probably same as it was)
3 - city redesign (aesthetics, maybe New mauwile subplot involvement)
4 - berry farm improved (aesthetic probably)
5 - launchpad accessible rather than just decoration (aesthetic)
6 - an actual new cave, wow
7 - new diving area (also, this is where Mirage island was)
8 - new diving area
9 - obvious cloud hiding something (regigigas plz?)
10 - mysterious weather
it's a thundercloud clashing with a pure white cloud.
This likely has to do with either Thundurus/Tornadus or Zekrom/Reshiram.

green - where sky tower is.

It's called being objective, he's just listing changes. If you've ever read any of his posts, you'll know that he was disappointed in the lack of changes as well.

NoDice said:
Yeah, I meant realism as far as detail goes, but the perspective in which they designed the map is what gives it that blocky symmetry (along with the fact the region itself is actually very linear in route design). I will admit, they did a much better job with the Kalos map in trying to not make the region look like it had a ton of straight paths(even though it does just like every other Pokemon game). I prefer the new map simply because its so vibrant and you can literally make out the detail of cave openings and each individual building, which has allowed us to pick it apart and find new areas not present in the originals.

You could do that with Kalos' map too though. The only difference is that we didn't get the full size map until after the game was out. I don't really care how much prettier the full drawn map is, it's just a drawing, nothing special. What matters more is actual design changes that affect how you explore the areas, and based on this map there are very few of them, most of the areas are the same right down to exact tiles.

Back