Discussion Okay, Tapu Lele-GX's Price is Outrageous

I have 2x RR, and 3x RA now. But I also had a bunch because I bought into the hype and picked up severals right before it hit the $45 mark.

A quick way to make $40-60, if you are new to "donating" plasma. You can usually get anywhere from $40-60 for your first few donations. I just randomly thought about it, because that's what I did when I was a poor college student, and it helps me get a textbook or two. Also, https://www.reddit.com/r/beermoney/ is a great source too if you are looking for ways to make passive cash.

I have 2x RR, and 3x RA now. But I also had a bunch because I bought into the hype and picked up severals right before it hit the $45 mark.

A quick way to make $40-60, if you are new to "donating" plasma. You can usually get anywhere from $40-60 for your first few donations. I just randomly thought about it, because that's what I did when I was a poor college student, and it helps me get a textbook or two. Also, https://www.reddit.com/r/beermoney/ is a great source too if you are looking for ways to make passive cash.

I wish i could do that. Seeing as i play 3 different TCG's (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, MTG) it would help heaps in funding my hobby. Since i have Sickle-Cell Anemia however giving blood/plasma is not even an option. I imagine plenty of others might have similar problems.

One option, when possible, might be condensing a collection down to a few decks. Choose 1 deck you really want to play for Standard and another you really want to play for Expanded and liquidate all other projects. Use whatever funds you get to slowly improve those 2 decks until they're near perfection and once you start winning more events and earning more packs you can branch out into other decks.

Also, bulk. Bulk is money. More then a few times i've seen people open a pack, keep the good stuff, and trash the bulk. People at my league often offer me their bulk from their freshly cracked packs and i always happily take it, save it, and liquidate it at big events. Now i have a nice amount of cash i can use to purchase those otherwise un-affordable cards.

Eh, just things that work for me.

So, my informant has told me that unless you have infinite money, Lele isn't worth the cost. I understand that. 60 bucks could buy you a Tapu Koko deck. 60 bucks could buy you 4 Gardevoir GX. 60 dollars can buy you a bunch of other stuff besides Lele, which is why I no longer have a Lele fund. If I pull a Lele, that's a different story, but the takeaway is:
Two people's opinion is that Tapu Lele isn't worth the price unless you are rolling in dough.

This is getting a bit out of hand. The normal art (as on TCG Player) is about 46 bucks now with the full art being around 53ish and 65+ for the Rainbow rare. This is completely dumb and is a huge block for people trying make a competitive deck or trying to gain entry into the game.

TPC/i needs to release a promo for the sake of the game because the normal art can reach 60ish if left uncheck. Before anyone says anything, I own two Rainbow rare and a full art.

Random Receiver= Poor Man's Tapu Lele GX

Random Receiver= Poor Man's Tapu Lele GX

They aren't the same

Just to be clear, crystal_pidgeot, AFEX (and myself) are not saying they are the same. The expression "Poor Man's" is used when there is an option inferior in quality but that is much more affordable. I'm sure if you search, you'll find plenty of people using the term incorrectly, but that's just how people are with language in general. XP

If you cannot afford Tapu Lele-GX, you have to make do without. Random Receiver is easy to come by, and while it does not grant you the exact Supporter you want, it does reliably provide you with a Supporter. I haven't played any games using post-rotation Standard Format guidelines, and while Tapu Lele-GX is superior, Random Receiver does not seem to be wholly inadequate.

I pulled another Lele lol. Also pulled three Wishiwashi (wtf), so yeah. Bought 8 packs since my local store gave me a 50% off discount. Threw away my useless lele so I can destroy people with my wishiwashi deck /s

So now I have 3 lele, and they go for 70...

When I pulled my first one, it went for 38. I thought it'd peak at 40.

When I pulled my second one, it hit 45. I thought it'd be 55 at the worst

Now it's 70, so three cards in my collection go for $210. My blastoise/keldeo deck is about $40 without it. Absolutely nuts

I got my RR Lele yesterday for 55$. It is my only Lele, but I have already ordered another one. I saved my money for this a long time, and I think 55 is extremely good for a mint SR Lele.
Really? I don't believe you.

It's as if I put /s to let people know I was sarcastic...

It's as if I put /s to let people know I was sarcastic...

I can only assume that either they didn't notice that part for some reason, or they didn't know what it meant.

Which would be fair enough, as there are so many symbols, gestures and acronyms that people just don't really know or recognize right away. Long ago i once thought a PB&J was like a BLT and ordered one with Ketchup.

pulled a 3rd full art tapu lele today so that now makes my count 3 FA and 5 RA Lele and now i got enough for all 3 of my decks now :) still have never pulled a RR lele though.....

Well I've never pulled a Lele at all so you're still doing better than me. The ones I have I traded for, which were very heavy prices to pay.

I only have 1 Lele myself. Recognized it for what it was and bought one at $42 off Coolstuffinc. Wish i'd had money for more but it is what it is. Trying to get enough to go for a box. Not only for the (slim) chance to pull more Lele's, but also as my collection is dangerously low on anything of worth.

I managed to buy 4 RA Lele's back before the hype began for $25 each on ebay.
My son left his deck box at a league event last month that had 3 of them in it for his Lapras deck he had just used at Regionals. Of course no one turned that deck box back in to the store owner. So, I now have to replace those 3 Lele's. Fortunately I can sell some bulk to offset the costs, but man that really hurts.

I've always said that when cards go over $50 to acquire that TCGi is losing money to the secondary market.

Damn, I might give up on Pokemon. 2 Lele's in another 20 packs I got. 1 regular art and 1 rainbow rare.

With that, I have a set of regulars and a rainbow one. I might go ahead and trade the rainbow one for a crapload of useless gx/ex's that look cool.

Damn, I might give up on Pokemon. 2 Lele's in another 20 packs I got. 1 regular art and 1 rainbow rare.

With that, I have a set of regulars and a rainbow one. I might go ahead and trade the rainbow one for a crapload of useless gx/ex's that look cool.
VGC is always an option. No such thing as a bad start in a battle (you pick who you send out first), bad type matchups can be mitigated (via coverage moves), and making a team doesn't ever cost more than the price of a 3DS/2DS and the current game. In fact, it's possible to have a 3DS and game for roughly the same price as 2 Leles.

VGC is always an option. No such thing as a bad start in a battle (you pick who you send out first), bad type matchups can be mitigated (via coverage moves), and making a team doesn't ever cost more than the price of a 3DS/2DS and the current game. In fact, it's possible to have a 3DS and game for roughly the same price as 2 Leles.

What's with the pokebeach board not picking up on sarcasm? Christ's sake lol

I quit competitive VGC because my pokemon weren't 'legit'. Completely reasonable stats with legal moves and nothing impossible. I'm not gonna spend hours just to make a 6 iv pokemon with a specific nature. Screw that.

I feel like Pokémon has inadvertently created a system of social classes:
Those with enough Lele are promoted to the upper class. The upper class is guaranteed a better win rate than the lower class people.
Those with no Lele are in the lower class, who gets to be harassed by the upper class about having Lele.
I am in the lower class.
Well, you guys carry on with your insane luck, and I'm just gonna ignore Lele until I get some.
Which will be never, unfortunately.

Back