Discussion Okay, Tapu Lele-GX's Price is Outrageous

What's with the pokebeach board not picking up on sarcasm?

There are reasons (plural) why even the early internet culture developed emoticons. XP With personal, text-based communication the context for such things is typically clearer, but when you have a group of strangers, often from different cultures, sarcasm is really easy to miss. Which reminds me:

Whoever taught you that "/s" is adequate for signifying sarcasm was not doing you any favors... unless "/s" is from a form of communication that restricts character usage, like Twitter. In which case, it is probably quite useful and appropriate there but just looks like a typo here. ^^' The command for stricken text (This kind of text) is just "s" with brackets, with the ending for it being "/s" in brackets. The possessive form of many (most?) English words use an apostrophe before the lesser "s", and the key for the apostrophe symbol is right above the key for the forward slash.

If you don't care about such things, not a big deal. ;)

What's with the pokebeach board not picking up on sarcasm? Christ's sake lol.

That is why I find it best not to bother being sarcastic online, until if/when you get to know someone you have no idea for sure how to take a comment. Yes I figured it was sarcasm, but that didn't necessarily mean I was right. After all as I believe @Otaku has mentioned he doesn't play Pokémon with physical cards anymore, even though most of us probably can't see just doing on that online. I say what's the point if it's all digital but that's my opinion. And again while it should be obvious no is going to just throw out any Tapu Lele GX's sometimes you just never know.

I'm not up on the online lingo but like @Otaku to me /s looks like a typo.

Oh and just to keep on something resembling on topic, would Tapu Lele GX be considered as good if it's attacks required two psychic energy specifically instead of two of any energy (including one double colorless energy) or is the ability that really pushes this card up there? I mean Random Receiver may be a poor man's Lele but it is an option, so is it the attack that really causes this problem?

Last edited:
I feel like Pokémon has inadvertently created a system of social classes:
Those with enough Lele are promoted to the upper class. The upper class is guaranteed a better win rate than the lower class people.
Those with no Lele are in the lower class, who gets to be harassed by the upper class about having Lele.
I am in the lower class.
Well, you guys carry on with your insane luck, and I'm just gonna ignore Lele until I get some.
Which will be never, unfortunately.
Not at all. I am 13 years old but I have found many ways to obtain high-value cards. I am not at Lele just yet but I will be getting 2 in the foreseeable future. Here are just some of them that I would suggest:

1. Negotiate a deal with naive little children.
My next door neighbours' youngest kid is Pokémon crazy. As a result he has a massive collection of very valuable Pokémon cards. Fortunately for me, the same cannot be said for his business skills. He has no comprehension of what is valuable and what is not: the fact that I do makes me more deserving of the cards. And he is happy with the cards he gets, so everyone wins, but especially me. Hell, the other day I gave him a holo Victini (the one from Guardians Rising that allows you to reflip coins) estimated value £1.20ish for a SR Enhanced Hammer, which costs £11 at best. Don't feel bad, feel successful. His favourite Pokémon happens to be Victini, so he was especially happy with that particular trade. Surely it's only a matter of time before he pulls a Lele from the dozens of packs he cracks open every month, and when he does, I will be there.

2. Monetise your skills. As it happens, I enjoy baking. I bring a ton of cakes and loaves of bread to every village fair in the county and I make a ton of money in return. Baking is just the example that has worked for me: find your niche and own it, and if you can, sell it.

3. Just save up. If you are like me and cannot resist spending money every time you get a couple of dollars/pounds, in my case, don't be like me. Save up. Every time you go to buy a pack or something else like that, think to yourself, consider the chances of actually pulling a Lele, and don't do it.

Whilst I don't have Leles in real life (yet) I do on TCGO, and because I have great passion for the game, I recognise the direction of the meta and understand, however much I used to attempt to ignore it, that Leles are 100% necessary. I am not bitter about their price anymore: they are in high demand so the price goes up. That's just capitalism.[/QUOTE]

I can certainly applaude your second and third suggestions right there. Nothing wrong with those ones if possible. Granted not everyone is a baker or what not but there are always things that can be done. Mow lawns or something like that if nothing else. And of course saving is right too, I mean not everyone will find 2 Lele's in 20 packs like professor layton has.

Personally though I can't get behind number one, but to each their own. Granted I suppose in the long run if it's worth it to the kid to have a Victini for a SR Enhanced Hammer that's up to him, there should be more trading than equal value. Still no offense, but I kind of hope the kid decides Lele is too cool to give up if he pulls it.

I can certainly applaude your second and third suggestions right there. Nothing wrong with those ones if possible. Granted not everyone is a baker or what not but there are always things that can be done. Mow lawns or something like that if nothing else. And of course saving is right too, I mean not everyone will find 2 Lele's in 20 packs like professor layton has.

Personally though I can't get behind number one, but to each their own. Granted I suppose in the long run if it's worth it to the kid to have a Victini for a SR Enhanced Hammer that's up to him, there should be more trading than equal value. Still no offense, but I kind of hope the kid decides Lele is too cool to give up if he pulls it.
Absolutely. I would feel great for him if he manages to obtain the Tapu Lele, but if its just another binder dweller that means nothing special to him, I am kinda hoping I could trade with him.

Well yeah that's his choice. If he decides to ultimately than all the better for you. Again not sure I could do this, but to each their own. Can't worry about until that Lele shows up though.

That is why I find it best not to bother being sarcastic online, until if/when you get to know someone you have no idea for sure how to take a comment. Yes I figured it was sarcasm, but that didn't necessarily mean I was right. After all as I believe @Otaku has mentioned he doesn't play Pokémon with physical cards anymore, even though most of us probably can't see just doing on that online. I say what's the point if it's all digital but that's my opinion. And again while it should be obvious no is going to just throw out any Tapu Lele GX's sometimes you just never know.

I'm not up on the online lingo but like @Otaku to me /s looks like a typo.

Oh and just to keep on something resembling on topic, would Tapu Lele GX be considered as good if it's attacks required two psychic energy specifically instead of two of any energy (including one double colorless energy) or is the ability that really pushes this card up there? I mean Random Receiver may be a poor man's Lele but it is an option, so is it the attack that really causes this problem?

Lele is a combination of Jirachi, max potion, and mewtwo. With 170 hp, it can't be sniped like jirachi. With no weakness, it has no true threat. With its attack, it can work with almost any deck as a side attacker and isn't dead space like Shaymin. The GX move can also heal massive damage off GX pokemon with 200+ damage counters.

He's irreplacable for a reason in many decks. He literally has no flaws by itself

I'm not necessarily talking about the combination. I mean what part of it makes it so desirable? Let's by the way keep in mind that the max potion effect only works if you have the psychic energy, if you don't that goes right out the window. Would this card be so good if the first attack required two psychic energy instead of two of any kind or DCE? Or what if had weakness, would that diminish the card?

What if a Shuckle had the same wonder tag ability but in order to attack required two grass energy, would this one be good. Or what if something else had the 'max potion effect' but required four of a specific type of energy, would that make it less important?

Shaymin EX wasn't exactly dead space, though perhaps a bit of a pain, after all the same two of any energy or DCE meant you could replace it to hand and do it all over again. Lele would need another card to make that happen, assuming there is such a thing now.

I'm not necessarily talking about the combination. I mean what part of it makes it so desirable? Let's by the way keep in mind that the max potion effect only works if you have the psychic energy, if you don't that goes right out the window. Would this card be so good if the first attack required two psychic energy instead of two of any kind or DCE? Or what if had weakness, would that diminish the card?

What if a Shuckle had the same wonder tag ability but in order to attack required two grass energy, would this one be good. Or what if something else had the 'max potion effect' but required four of a specific type of energy, would that make it less important?

Shaymin EX wasn't exactly dead space, though perhaps a bit of a pain, after all the same two of any energy or DCE meant you could replace it to hand and do it all over again. Lele would need another card to make that happen, assuming there is such a thing now.
Yes, that Shuckle would see masses of play, and as it is only a 1 prize Pokémon, would probably be a 4 of in just about every deck.

Yeah I'm really unsure about such trades. I'd rather do it with someone who kn

It excels at everything. It's why combination matters.
Basketball players such as LeBron are very valuable due to excelling at many things and not having presentable flaws. The card works in so many ways it's ridiculous. Don't forget that octillery was a worse shaymin which needed to be evolved, and yet it went for $6. Now imagine a GX with no worries of being sniped, has low retreat, a legendary ability, and 2 great attacks. Now you got a card which went from $38 to $70 in a few months

It's nice to see this thread make it to page nine. I guess this was something that needed to be talked about. For the record, I can't say I support ripping off children who don't know any better but if you at least make it worth their wild (like giving them 20 legendary Pokemon), then it should be alright, as long as they're happy.

It's nice to see this thread make it to page nine. I guess this was something that needed to be talked about. For the record, I can't say I support ripping off children who don't know any better but if you at least make it worth their wild (like giving them 20 legendary Pokemon), then it should be alright, as long as they're happy.

I get your point, but I don't think your argument makes it any better. What's the difference if you give the kid 1 card and it makes him super happy? As an adult, I always make sure to tell any kid that comes to my local card shop the value of their card. I do not ever want to give someone an unfair trade and vice versa. Even if you gave a kid 20 legendary pokemon, that doesn't mean the value of those cards is anywhere near the value of say a SR Ultra Ball. Cards like Suicine, Entei, and Raikou all have version that are very inexpensive so again, the trade is based on the happiness of the child not necessarily the value of the cards.

This is really a matter of ones own morals and ideals. Just because you and I wouldn't make trades like that to a kid that doesn't know any better, that doesn't mean they are being ripped off. They most likely don't care about the money, they are just happy with the cards which is why their parents buy them so many.

I just don't think that it's okay for you to just announce that @joffreyspikes is ripping off a kid and you don't condone it. @Pikachu6319 didn't agree either and he made his argument without bashing anyone.

I get your point, but I don't think your argument makes it any better. What's the difference if you give the kid 1 card and it makes him super happy? As an adult, I always make sure to tell any kid that comes to my local card shop the value of their card. I do not ever want to give someone an unfair trade and vice versa. Even if you gave a kid 20 legendary pokemon, that doesn't mean the value of those cards is anywhere near the value of say a SR Ultra Ball. Cards like Suicine, Entei, and Raikou all have version that are very inexpensive so again, the trade is based on the happiness of the child not necessarily the value of the cards.

This is really a matter of ones own morals and ideals. Just because you and I wouldn't make trades like that to a kid that doesn't know any better, that doesn't mean they are being ripped off. They most likely don't care about the money, they are just happy with the cards which is why their parents buy them so many.

I just don't think that it's okay for you to just announce that @joffreyspikes is ripping off a kid and you don't condone it. @Pikachu6319 didn't agree either and he made his argument without bashing anyone.

Well, I'm not bashing anyone. You'll know if I were, trust me.

It excels at everything. It's why combination matters.
Basketball players such as LeBron are very valuable due to excelling at many things and not having presentable flaws. The card works in so many ways it's ridiculous. Don't forget that octillery was a worse shaymin which needed to be evolved, and yet it went for $6. Now imagine a GX with no worries of being sniped, has low retreat, a legendary ability, and 2 great attacks. Now you got a card which went from $38 to $70 in a few months

Yes combinations matter, but you're missing my question. Which one is the most valuable thing? Which one is so indispensable that you can put it on any Pokémon and have it be important while another one could get another of those and be all but disregarded? What if it was a Vileplume with 'max potion effect' but had it's other attack was bad? Would it make it in just based on the 'potion effect' attack? What about Wonder Tag, what if that was just on a Wobbuffet whose only other attack was a 10 damage pound attack? Would it make four in every deck based on that one ability?

You can always make up the value. Someone in my card shop offered a bunch of cards which add up to the value of a Lele RR. We first decide on its value, and he gives cards equal to it. He offered loads of GX/EX cards.
No need to ever trick anyone. I gave a kid $38 of packs when Shaymin was going for $35. You can give a solgaleo and make him happy, but I just can't get myself to do that

Yes combinations matter, but you're missing my question. Which one is the most valuable thing? Which one is so indispensable that you can put it on any Pokémon and have it be important while another one could get another of those and be all but disregarded? What if it was a Vileplume with 'max potion effect' but had it's other attack was bad? Would it make it in just based on the 'potion effect' attack? What about Wonder Tag, what if that was just on a Wobbuffet whose only other attack was a 10 damage pound attack? Would it make four in every deck based on that one ability?

The ability matters, but why do you think Jirachi never went for insane amounts? If Lele had a psychic weakness, 100 hp, and a terrible attack, it'd be a 1 card tech like jirachi.

I answered your question rather reasonably. It's this insane combination which makes lele so good (along with it being basic). The least valuable is either the 1st or second attack depending on how you use it.

It's a Jirachi with higher HP and no weakness
It's a Lugia EX with low retreat
It is a double max potion for one energy and no energy discard needed

As valuable as the ability is, the lack of any sort of major flaw(s) is what makes it so good.

So what you're saying is the wonder tag is the most important thing on it. Followed by high hp, then no weakness, followed by it's first attack and then it's 'potion effect'. At least they were consistent, making all Tapu's lack weakness.

So the Wubbuffet with wonder tag would be just as prized then lol.

I am officially unable to get a Lele ever ever.
If you pair me with more than 4 dollars, I will blow it.
Someone needs to tie me to a chair.

So what you're saying is the wonder tag is the most important thing on it. Followed by high hp, then no weakness, followed by it's first attack and then it's 'potion effect'. At least they were consistent, making all Tapu's lack weakness.

So the Wubbuffet with wonder tag would be just as prized then lol.

Yeah, it'd go for a decent amount if it is basic as usual and has 110+ hp. I'd say it'd probably be uncommon or normal, so it'd be maybe $7 at most.

Lele is just too good however. Literally all of my decks run minimum 2 of him and 1 Tauros and it's created amazing results.

I am officially unable to get a Lele ever ever.
If you pair me with more than 4 dollars, I will blow it.
Someone needs to tie me to a chair.

Save it. I am very strict on when I buy packs. I only buy them if I can get them for 2.50 or less, which is very rare.

Even then, sometimes simply saving is worth it. I never buy packs for yugioh. I just use the cash to get cards instead.

Back