No more clans?

BenjaminLDuco

Aspiring Trainer
So when I was apart of PokeBeach around 2 years ago there was a bunch of groups and clan wars and it was a bunch of fun having team mates to chat with and talk to for help. Now there are no clans anymore. What exactly happened?

I was around when the clans disappeared and to be honest I was disappointed in the clans being deleted. At the start they claimed they would move and still be alive. No the Clan Team Dimensional doesn't run through Pokebeach anymore but, if you talk to King Arceus a forum super mod he has the information about them and a website check it out. The other clans faded and I eventually asked as who was a mod at the time bacon and he gave me a good explanation of working as a community then seperate teams competing gives us a great chance to get opinions from other beside just the people you formed a clan with. So that is the explanation I recieved for the disappearing of the clans. If you need more information I'd definetly ask Pride or King Arceus.

- R-C

Most of the clans that were created way back when typically died off shortly afterwards. Also, the few that did survive weren't really promoting a lot of serious discussion, at least not in the sense that it was mostly stuff that could've been discussed elsewhere on the forums or even on chat. (Or at least those were the underlying reasons I recall being put forth for the clan forum's removal.)

Groups were the best part of beach, shame they were taken away.

I feel your pain lol.

Best thing you can do is make a case in the suggestions thread, and get lots of member support. 'Mods here are pretty good at considering public opinion.

Usually petition threads get closed down, so just spread the word among friends, their friends, so on and so on. Try to get a lot of people into it before making anything formal, otherwise your chances are slim.

Alternatively, you could organize a boycott which is awesome but very difficult to execute.

I think it would also be very hard since I'm not well known and I don't have many friends on here. I've talked to a few people but only in threads never outside of threads -.-

Jay said:
Groups were the best part of beach, shame they were taken away.

Uh. no. Discussion is the best part of "beach" and it's a shame that groups took away from serious discussion, and discouraged public interaction.

We had official TCG teams (but that didn't really work out) and we're in the midst of making one exclusive team. Other than that, the mods thought that there was no real reason to keep groups around. If you want to discuss something, make a thread about it and let everyone voice their opinions!

ESP said:
Uh. no. Discussion is the best part of "beach" and it's a shame that groups took away from serious discussion, and discouraged public interaction.

We had official TCG teams (but that didn't really work out) and we're in the midst of making one exclusive team. Other than that, the mods thought that there was no real reason to keep groups around. If you want to discuss something, make a thread about it and let everyone voice their opinions!

I see your point but there has to be some way to have both work I mean it should be a leaders job to make the clan interact and help others no matter whom needs it. I just thought it was a fun way to interact and compete with smaller groups of people because I know for myself at least it's a lot easier talking to a smaller group and then growing from there. I don't think it should just be clans, I'd like to see clans and discussion because I'm sure if something huge is being discussed every one will voice their opinion either way.

Clans = less activity from other forums

We don't want that. It looks unprofessional and makes us, the staff, look lazy because of the decline in activity. Ever since we removed clans and the game corner, the forums have been more active than ever. Also, there was a problem with the clan leaders not keeping their clans organized and active.

So basically we want all activity to go to official parts of the forum.

I'm not sure what comparative battling is, but the clans and groups were beyond useless. in theory it probably made sense but in practice it was just groups of friends discussing things that could easily be discussed on the public forums.

Ok.

I'm sorry, but all the reasons that I've heard so far have been pretty lame. So y'all took out your most active forum because it was making the other forums less active? Maybe those forums weren't so active because they weren't being prompted probably. I've been in many clans before on different websites, and those clan sections have never caused a decreased in activity, it was quite the opposite. If you want my honest opinion, it sounds like they weren't moderated well.

Finally, why can we try it again? Like Benjamin said, you can have a clan section and still have the site look professional if done right.

perhaps you haven't heard any good reasons for why they were closed, but there are zero reasons I can see for them returning. they had little to no positive effect on the forums as a whole. their existence would just create the need for more moderation (as you've said) and don't add anything to the "Pokebeach experience". so why have them?

I didn't say they needed more moderation, I said they probably should of been moderated better.

I personally think it would add depth to Pokebeach, and it would make the competitive battling section more active(I think it's the least active section here). Have you ever been in a competitive clan? It's a great way to meet people and it generates friendly competition. I personally think it's a great way to experience Pokebeach and to promote the site.

Zenith pretty much nailed it.

One of the big reasons that clans were removed is because the majority of them served no purpose. I wish Zenith hadn't changed the name because it would have served as a great example, but up until yesterday, the MLP discussion thread was called the "MLP Not-Clan" because we didn't want the formalities that the clan forum brought (clan "leaders", hierarchies, signing up, YOU'RE NOT IN THE CLAN YOU CAN'T POST HERE MODS HELP HELP). All we wanted was a thread for fans of MLP to chat. No signing up. No "clan rules." Just pop in, say something like "hey this show's cool I've watched X episodes, my favorite pony is X" and be on your way.

The thread existed outside of the clans forum for that very purpose. That thread isn't the reason why the clans forum was removed, but it's a very good example of just how useless it was. If it wasn't one of the over nine thousand TCG "teams" plaguing that forum, it was of some topic that would could be discussed just as well in this forum (sports, Sonic, writing, school, anything).

The only difference is now anyone can just jump in and post whenever they want - no need for frivolous formalities.

scuba steveE, I won't claim that your points aren't valid, but bringing back an entire forum just for a couple of tcg/vg "teams" just isn't gonna happen. Part of the reason that the Pokebeach Team White and Team Black are being disbanded is because most of the activity is being done in Team White. That one specific section of the forum flourishes, and any TCG players not part of that team suffer for it.

Is that a bit clearer?

Back