Next Destinies Shiftry Banned!

Most likely if it meets the same two conditions that shifty had than it would most likely get banned as well. I really like TPCi's reasons for the ban as well.

Edit: I think it is a good thing, they are stepping in when certain combos make for a play environment that isn't enjoyable.

Thanks God! Finally we can have an Expanded Format with more than two different decks: the Shiftry ones and the Wobbuffet/Baltoy ones!!
I was expecting this but I thought TPCI were waiting for the first official Regional's results.

Last edited:
Thank goodness! This was an unfair combination to begin with, so i'm glad this happened

Why are they just banning this now shouldn't they have done that when next destinies first released

Why are they just banning this now shouldn't they have done that when next destinies first released
It wasn't as exploitable as it is now, with Broken Vine Space... ops, Forest of Giant Plants.
Back them, you couldn't pull a Shiftry in T1 and shuffle your opponent pokemon away without them even drawing their first card.

It wasn't as exploitable as it is now, with Broken Vine Space... ops, Forest of Giant Plants.
Back them, you couldn't pull a Shiftry in T1 and shuffle your opponent pokemon away without them even drawing their first card.
But he's a dark type not grass oh wait you could use a grass type nuzleaf

"Aggressively"? I don't like that word... It sounds like they're going to ban more cards...

"Therefore, we will aggressively monitor tournament results and new expansions for any unhealthy card combinations."

Holy..more cards will get the ban hammer.

I like this.

I've been saying this on PokeGym for years but all every did was laugh and say bans will never happen. I'm glad they are taking the game seriously.

Can't say I'm surprised to see this. A first-turn kill is quite unprecedented in this game, although the implication that they will ban more cards is something I have mixed feelings about. Guess we'll have to see what they have in store.

Party at my house!
Can I come to your place and we'll feast on chex mix, nachos, chili cheese corn dogs, diet pepsi, etc?

"Aggressively"? I don't like that word... It sounds like they're going to ban more cards...
I said the same thing on FaceBook group I'm part of. I'm not liking how this practice can easily be abused. This isn't Yugioh or MTG where banlists are regularly updated. Though this TCG is now slowly resembling MTG which has a rotation unlike YUGIOH.

In a format with so many cards, I think game-breaking card interactions should be expected. Wish they'd just learn to move on from BW and stick to Standard.

Wow... I even called the prediction of Shiftry being banned on the last pokebeach article on this card! :p

But in all of seriousness... Playing PTCGO, I found facing the deck frequently rather disturbing, so I checked their official forums. There I noticed a 7 page thread debate on whether to ban/errata this particular card strategy - only a couple weeks after people could play it. The best argument for banning it used this analogy:

"Using This Deck is like Playing Solitaire!"

I laughed like crazy reading that...

I never ran into this deck because I never played Expanded on PTCGO, but from my understanding it's a good thing that a Donk is gone; it reminds me a lot of SableDonk during the DPPt Era.

However, 'aggressively' watching tournaments is a tad worrying...

Back