News New Pokemon Silvally, Hakamo-o, Kommo-o, Steenee, Tsareena, and Ribombee!

xayshade

Aspiring Trainer
Actually, no. Just because the english dub uses it officially, doesn't mean it's the correct way to pronounce it. The japanese one uses the soft c. In Portuguese (my language), it also makes sense to use the soft c. I've been searching and even in English, the c is used a lot more often with the soft value when placed before the letter e, despite there being exceptions. From what I read around, it seems they went with the hard c sound in UK because otherwise it sounded similar to "Arse".
I'm just stressing on this subject because I'm kinda obsessed with saying things right and I like to study languages.
Except when pokemon.comy made an official letter saying the pronunciation is arkeus. Even so, there are like 3 different pronunciation so it really doesn't matter. Game freak is now going with arkeus.

dotamin

Aspiring Trainer
I personally think that Queenly Majesty stops both increased priority moves and decreased priority moves. So on top of stopping quick attack, aqua jet etc. it also pulls the plug on whirlwind, dragon tail, mirror coat etc. That's just my opinion. Tsareena looks good but as one of the posters above me already said, pure grass typing seems redundant with Lurantis in the batch. Silvally is obviously a result of scientists trying to create their own Arceus. Pretty cool concept. Ribombee is cute, hope it's useful in the battle. Kommo-o sucks, way too detailed. Dragon/fighting is a great typing but I can't help to think how the final evolution should have been based on ankylosaur and be more defensive, preferably with secondary steel type instead of fighting. Alolan Muk looks like a nightmarish acid trip and I love it. I see it also gets appropriate moves to abuse its dark typing. Hope it gets sucker punch since it's safe to assume it'll be slow. Hope we get more exciting news in the upcoming days.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
Actually, no. Just because the english dub uses it officially, doesn't mean it's the correct way to pronounce it. The japanese one uses the soft c. In Portuguese (my language), it also makes sense to use the soft c. I've been searching and even in English, the c is used a lot more often with the soft value when placed before the letter e, despite there being exceptions. From what I read around, it seems they went with the hard c sound in UK because otherwise it sounded similar to "Arse".
I'm just stressing on this subject because I'm kinda obsessed with saying things right and I like to study languages.

If all English media and officials use a pronunciation it becomes the official English one. Japanese and Portuguese can have different official pronunciations. It doesn't even keep its name in Chinese so it's not a unified name worldwide.

professorlight

Ice Queen
Keep calm, this has a simple solution.

One of you shall make an offshoot where Arceus is pronounced with a soft "c", while decrying the ones who don't as heretics.
The rest will keep pronouncing it with the hard "c", under the rule of The Pokemon Company, His representatives on earth, while treating the offshoot as something of minor importance, until tensions make it so the hard "c"ers start to hunt down the soft "c"ers in an effort to eliminate all dissention. Meanwhile, the soft "C"ers will go house by house asking people if they heard the true pronunciation of Arceus, and ask for donations for The Great Crusade.

Finally, as a result, Metalizard will be caught and nailed to a giant pokeball, and that will end the conflict until someone decides that Arceus is spelled with a "z", and everything shall start again. For that is the will of Arceus, because he likes to have fun messing with people while he drinks at the heavenly bar with God, Buddha, Allah, Yoda and probably, David Bowie.

garbodorable

Aspiring Trainer
Funny, I was just coming here to gloat that the Arse-eus pronunciation was finally dead. Everything about the name's origin suggests a hard c to me, like the word arc and the root -arch as in archetype and archaic, which usually means something like "first" or "highest" (and Arceus is the Alpha Pokemon after all). But I can't speak to the Japanese or Portuguese names.

Professor Palutena

The Queen
Okay, this is nitpicking but I don't like that. The correct pronounciation of "Arceus" is the one with the soft 'c', not the the one with the hard 'c' that the english dub of the movies came up with. I'd prefer if they had just kept the "AR System" name the japanese use as it is already a pretty obvious reference to ARceus. I think I'll just call this ability RCS System instead cause even though it's not that big of a deal, it annoys me beyond belief.
There are 3 correct pronunciations of Arceus according to official media:

Ar-see-us
Ar-kay-us
Ark-ee-us

Everyone is correct in this situation, according to official Pokemon media.

Queno138

Metal Balls Trainer
Ar-see-us was the original japanese pronunciation which I still stick to,
but it was dropped by western territories because of the implications that it'll sound like As or Ass.

Hence why they went with Ar-kay-us or Ark-ee-us.

The 4 spikes already alluded to it being a Chimera to counter Arceus,
and the Japanese ability was AR system, which further hits that point.

But to outright call it RKS (like AR-KAY-US), is funny.

Were they trying to replicate Arceus to target Something else!?

Special Riolu

Aspiring Trainer
Did muk find the end of the rainbow? Lepracan Pokemon confirmed! Just kidding, i think all of these look amazing, especially janmo-o's evolutions. Though they dont feel like pokemon they look cool anyway!

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
*Sniff*

But Ar-see-us sounds better!

It lets me do silly memes like:

"Me lieks Arzeuz."
"Yey 4 Arzeuz!"
"I can haz Arzeuz?"

I also love saying this pronounciation in a glorified high pitch voice - the "soft c" really rings off my tongue. A opposed to the "Kough Kough" K.

The ability name ruined everything for me. :(

Queno138

Metal Balls Trainer
*Sniff*

But Ar-see-us sounds better!

It lets me do silly memes like:

"Me lieks Arzeuz."
"Yey 4 Arzeuz!"
"I can haz Arzeuz?"

I also love saying this pronounciation in a glorified high pitch voice - the "soft c" really rings off my tongue. A opposed to the "Kough Kough" K.

The ability name ruined everything for me. :(

I agree, I've always liked Arceus with the soft C, as it follows the Japanese name.

Also, do people Butcher Kyorge? the japanese name is pronounced as Kai-o-ga

The one name that throws me off is Zygarde.
The Japanese pronunciation is Ji-ga-ru-dey, which sounds nothing like Zai-guard.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
Ok, ok. I got it. I'll shut my mouth about this subject. I'll stick to my pronunciation and you stick to yours.

I agree, I've always liked Arceus with the soft C, as it follows the Japanese name.

The Japanese pronunciation is Ji-ga-ru-dey, which sounds nothing like Zai-guard.

I personally say Kai-o-ger and Zee-guard.

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies

I usually pronounce Kyogre as "Kai-yo-grr", but I always wondered how it really sounded like in english. I'm guilty of the Zai-guard (like Zygote), though, but I'm flexible about changing that if I knew if the english was really Zee-Gar-Day or something like that.

But Ar-see-us... I refuse to change it. I'm really purturbed that the English translation of the ability forces the K in the Pronounciation, despite that the "soft c" being reasonable. Why couldn't they have stuck with "AR System", like the Japanese translation? Even German's translation of "Alpha System" would have worked. But using the Ability to force their 'ideal english pronounciation' to players... It saddens me to a point that I don't want to train a Silvally anymore. -_-

StriatonIsMagic

I'll Never Forget This Day
I usually pronounce Kyogre as "Kai-yo-grr", but I always wondered how it really sounded like in english. I'm guilty of the Zai-guard (like Zygote), though, but I'm flexible about changing that if I knew if the english was really Zee-Gar-Day or something like that.

But Ar-see-us... I refuse to change it. I'm really purturbed that the English translation of the ability forces the K in the Pronounciation, despite that the "soft c" being reasonable. Why couldn't they have stuck with "AR System", like the Japanese translation? Even German's translation of "Alpha System" would have worked. But using the Ability to force their 'ideal english pronounciation' to players... It saddens me to a point that I don't want to train a Silvally anymore. -_-
I pronounce Arceus like Ar-key-us, Zygarde like Zi-guard, and Kyogre like Ki-ogre. I also pronounce Clemont's name like Claymont, and Unova as You-nova. I have no idea why, I just pronounce Pokémon related names like the way they look to sound.

Queno138

Metal Balls Trainer
Thing is, Kai-ogre, kai-o-ga, kai-o-grr is all okay, but Ki-yo-grey is wrong

I still think Zai-guard is fine. Has there ever been English pronunciations for Zygarde?

Drokas

Who cares?

So... do you say "búlbâssáúr"? xDDD I usually say "ârssêus" since I'm Portuguese as well but that doesn't mean it's the correct pronunciation. The one I showed you is the official English pronunciation, and that's it. Or do you play the game in Portuguese? (Yeah, nope.) Like we use to say "Pokémons" when using it in plural but it's actually without that extra S. Whether we like it or not...
Ever heard Ampharos' and Illumise's pronunciation? xDD I used to say it all wrong xP But well, whatever.

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
Ever heard Ampharos' and Illumise's pronunciation? xDD I used to say it all wrong xP But well, whatever.

Illumise: 'Il-lum-mee-zay' - at least that what I heard in the anime. I used to pronounce it 'Il-lumm-eyes' when it came out, but felt it sounded strange.

Ampharos: 'Am-furr-awes'(like 'awesome') - also heard in the anime, although I first thought is was 'Am-far-rows', but then changed it to the official one.

Arceus, though: The first time heard it originally was from a TV commercial advertising the Arceus TCG set. Guess what - It was pronounced 'Ar-see-us'! Never really heard any other pronunciation it, given I stopped watching the Anime during advanced generations, and didn't have many Pokefan friends in person. So 'Ar-see-us' stuck to me for all these years. :/

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
So... do you say "búlbâssáúr"? xDDD I usually say "ârssêus" since I'm Portuguese as well but that doesn't mean it's the correct pronunciation. The one I showed you is the official English pronunciation, and that's it. Or do you play the game in Portuguese? (Yeah, nope.) Like we use to say "Pokémons" when using it in plural but it's actually without that extra S. Whether we like it or not...

It would be the correct pronunciation if we had portuguese pokémon names/pronunciations though (also, it's a lot more faithful to the original japanese one). And no, we don't play the games in Portuguese, but by now, we could if they had people in their translation deparment that took care of that (Not that I don't like playing the games in English, it improved my english a lot, I'm just saying).
Besides, I don't believe we should conform ourselves to questionable decisions made by the company just because they're the official authority in the west.

Also, this:
But Ar-see-us... I refuse to change it. I'm really purturbed that the English translation of the ability forces the K in the Pronounciation, despite that the "soft c" being reasonable. Why couldn't they have stuck with "AR System", like the Japanese translation? Even German's translation of "Alpha System" would have worked.

Drokas

Who cares?
And no, we don't play the games in Portuguese, but by now, we could if they had people in their translation deparment that took care of that (Not that I don't like playing the games in English, it improved my english a lot, I'm just saying).

They really should translate the games to Portuguese, even if it is the Brazilian variant... I would still play the games in English because I don't like how the moves sound in Portuguese but it's the 8th most spoken language in the world!

Illumise: 'Il-lum-mee-zay' - at least that what I heard in the anime. I used to pronounce it 'Il-lumm-eyes' when it came out, but felt it sounded strange.
Ampharos: 'Am-furr-awes'(like 'awesome') - also heard in the anime, although I first thought is was 'Am-far-rows', but then changed it to the official one.

Haha, exactly like me but I think I used to say Am-fé-rus (as in "fat" and "virus").

Anyway, we are getting way off-topic here!! ^^'

Last edited: