News New 'Mega Powers Collection' in May Featuring Four New Full Arts!

superdan51

Make Metagross-GX Great!
I know this is a stupid question, but will these be textured? The image tells me probably not they'll be foil but the Mew and Mewtwo boxes were textured. Im thinking these will be like the Mythical collection foils?

Dave Sontag

Aspiring Trainer
What are the chances a Lucario EX promo gets released to make it, as well as M Lucario EX standard again?

Vivek

Evil Yveltal
I can see Jolteon's Set Symbol and it does not look like Generation's.
So are we getting those cards as Promo?
If yes, would there be a Promo Manectric and Lucario EX as well?

Chrswrites

Aspiring Trainer
Well the set symbol doesn't resemble the black star. Maybe we have to collect the set through promo collections

PieterPie

Aspiring Trainer
Wow, after 20 EX crappy boxes, costing more than retail with bad already released cards, FINALLY, an awesome box which contains plenty of value, with 4 FA ex Promos, this is amazing!

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
Will we be in a position where M Lucario and M Manectric are technically Standard Format legal but can't be used because their base EXs are Expanded only?

Messssssy...

These cards do look gorgeous though.
M Lucario is standard legal (Maxie's)

Also after closely examining the set symbol it looks like Zygarde's head

21times

Aspiring Trainer
So if you're looking for evidence, this gives more credence to the theory that there will be a massive rotation in September. They reprinted the Megas but not the basics. If they would have reprinted the basics as well, then it would be clear that they're not considering an Evolutions on meta. By reprinting only the megas, they are signaling that an Evolutions on Standard meta is still on the table. I don't think it will happen - it would be the largest rotation ever - but the fact that they're not creating any new EX'S is really leading me to think that this enormous rotation could actually occur. Look at all the items getting reprinted in Guardians Rising. Clearly, at the very least they are seriously considering rotating everything before Evolutions out of Standard.

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
So if you're looking for evidence, this gives more credence to the theory that there will be a massive rotation in September. They reprinted the Megas but not the basics. If they would have reprinted the basics as well, then it would be clear that they're not considering an Evolutions on meta. By reprinting only the megas, they are signaling that an Evolutions on Standard meta is still on the table. I don't think it will happen - it would be the largest rotation ever - but the fact that they're not creating any new EX'S is really leading me to think that this enormous rotation could actually occur. Look at all the items getting reprinted in Guardians Rising. Clearly, at the very least they are seriously considering rotating everything before Evolutions out of Standard.
not necessarily... they did make new exs M Camerupt and M Sharpedo. Also the reason they didn't print the EXs is 1. they already have FAs 2. these FAs were in Japan's Best of XY set (which is a reprint set, which is why we've only gotten 2 new EXs

TheUltimateAbsol

Truth or Ideals? It's all Black and White to me
When I zoom in on Jolteon, it almost seems as if it was a not a promo, but a print with the generations set number.
I'm probably wrong though - on blurry zoom ins, the promo logo and the generations set icon look the same

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I know this is a stupid question, but will these be textured? The image tells me probably not they'll be foil but the Mew and Mewtwo boxes were textured. Im thinking these will be like the Mythical collection foils?

Product images are never a perfect gauge of what the products look like in real life. The Mew vs. Mewtwo box's product image looked as if the promos weren't textured. They very well could(And I don't see a reason they wouldn't be, honestly.) and they very well couldn't. We'll just have to wait until may.

superdan51

Make Metagross-GX Great!
Man I want to play Mega Lucario in standard, but no Lucario :( I guess its alright in Expanded

Otaku

The wise fool?
Not exactly 100% on-topic with that rant, but yeah... Not too keen on non-Japan getting these kinds of reprints. It's not great from a game balance standpoint. There's a reason why rotations are a thing, and reprinting game-defining cards (not that Mega Lucario is one, but you get my point) defeats the purpose of that.

So if you're looking for evidence, this gives more credence to the theory that there will be a massive rotation in September.

Gotta agree with @jessalakasam as we really don't know anything.

Seriously: the-powers-that-be have a history of defying our expectations here. We didn't know what to expect with the shift to the original Rocket-On Modified, and Base Set 2 was seen as a confusing mess, so no one expected that set to be the foundation for the next format but the Legendary Collection and later EX: Power Keepers had many players (myself included) convinced that the only reason to reprint such things so late in the game was to set up for the next format. Yes, even though they did affect a rotation, we went one step beyond and made them affect two (or three if they lasted that long; kind of short of time here to verify what I remember >.>).

Okay, so the point is that while it looks like the Mega Powers Collection won't have the Black Star Promos set icon, it seems to have its own. That would make it a subset, and TPCi is free to play fast and loose with those. As such, this still remains circumstantial evidence of any particular rotation plans. If you get something else that confirms it, yeah you'll be able to turn to this for further evidence. If we had something that contradicts it, then this would of no consequence.

At this point, I'm thinking that they have (potential) product they don't want to waste, and realized "Hey, just make sure it is marked off in a manner that when we go to SM-On for Standard, we can still ditch these last vestiges of the XY-era releases."

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
Gotta agree with @jessalakasam as we really don't know anything.

Seriously: the-powers-that-be have a history of defying our expectations here. We didn't know what to expect with the shift to the original Rocket-On Modified, and Base Set 2 was seen as a confusing mess, so no one expected that set to be the foundation for the next format but the Legendary Collection and later EX: Power Keepers had many players (myself included) convinced that the only reason to reprint such things so late in the game was to set up for the next format. Yes, even though they did affect a rotation, we went one step beyond and made them affect two (or three if they lasted that long; kind of short of time here to verify what I remember >.>).

Okay, so the point is that while it looks like the Mega Powers Collection won't have the Black Star Promos set icon, it seems to have its own. That would make it a subset, and TPCi is free to play fast and loose with those. As such, this still remains circumstantial evidence of any particular rotation plans. If you get something else that confirms it, yeah you'll be able to turn to this for further evidence. If we had something that contradicts it, then this would of no consequence.

At this point, I'm thinking that they have (potential) product they don't want to waste, and realized "Hey, just make sure it is marked off in a manner that when we go to SM-On for Standard, we can still ditch these last vestiges of the XY-era releases."

Erm, following logic and past patterns, ANY release with a unique set symbol typically follows pretty much in line with the release schedule as far as rotation goes. Things like the McDonald's sets, Trainer Kits, Dragon Vault and Double Crisis were all considered by when they were released in relation to the rotated sets. (Maybe barring one McDonald's set I think. One of them was entirely reprints from a rotated set and I don't think they kept it, even though most of the others also did that.) To that end, anything they want to for sure be removed when it becomes SM-on in a couple of years will be an XY promo, since they are much safer with those. (Hell, the Sylveon Collection and Snorlax GX box contain promos from two different eras.)

Also, on only a vaguely related note... Knew I forgot a set. Power Keepers had a few more new cards than the other reprint sets, though, if I recall. Probably why it didn't come to mind, even though it's probably one of the EX sets I bought the most of.

John InCENAroar

Praising the Vish, Praying for Sableye V
Am I the only one who thinks that Zygarde FA should have been in the actual Fates Collide set?

JimiCobain27

Aspiring Trainer
Would this leave Vaporeon and Leafeon as the only Eeveelutions that have no full art EX? Or GX, for that matter. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Charmander

Cyndaquil was taken :<
Will we be in a position where M Lucario and M Manectric are technically Standard Format legal but can't be used because their base EXs are Expanded only?

Messssssy...

These cards do look gorgeous though.

If anything, you can shove them into a Vespiquen deck just to see the confused reactions of your opponents.

Throwback to BCR-ROS Standard format when Ampharos Promo BW67 was Standard legal but Flaaffy and Mareep only appeared in Dragons Exalted so weren't legal. However, the obscure card Cradily PLB actually allowed you to get Stage 2 Pokémon directly in play so it could actually be used.