Article New Kids on the Block: New Decks from Ancient Origins in XY-On

My first competitive deck was VileGar too! i miss that metagame

I seem to be the only one who wants to run Machamp/Ariados :'(

i feel Hard Charm is a good tool for M Ty. Let's not forget M Ray exists and might be a force to reckon with. Also, running no Stadiums is suicide. I don't know how played Color Drained City will be but it's gonna suck playing against it with no counter.

I can wait for the Hoopa rage form EX I wonder if we will have a Zygarde card just 1 for the collection I do Twenty-Three card and we are done for the first part

I really like M. Ampharos and I feel it will be a lot better in the expanded format just due to the fact you can use tool scrapper to quickly get rid of it's spirit link and quickly attach the protection cube if played right.

I also see Vespiquen having a huge hurdle to overcome in expanded. It does have more tools than Flareon in terms of adding that extra heavy hit on weakness, but that's if they can get it out quickly enough and it could potentially cost that extra turn... Even though I'm still going play it a bunch (Team Vengeance!)

I also really enjoy the last two decks you talked about.. Especially the M. Septille one since Max Potion is going away if I remember right.

I really like M. Ampharos and I feel it will be a lot better in the expanded format just due to the fact you can use tool scrapper to quickly get rid of it's spirit link and quickly attach the protection cube if played right.

Tool Retriever is in standard format, and lets you put tools back into your hand, which is even better in most cases.

Do you think a Paint Roller (Ancient Origins) or two should be added to at least attempt to get a chance in the stadium battles for disruptive purposes?

Do you think a Paint Roller (Ancient Origins) or two should be added to at least attempt to get a chance in the stadium battles for disruptive purposes?
tbh paint roller is only that great if you're under Ninetales lock, so unless that gets popular, why don't you just run a counter stadium, which is more likely than not going to be more beneficial? Besides, Toad locks out of Paint Roller which is pretty detrimental if you are Virbanked...

There are a few points I'd like to point out. I've yet to build a Vespiquen deck myself, but here's what I think:

Battle Compressor should be maxed out. There Isn't a lot of focus in your supporter section. You have 4 VS Seekers, to make them really work you should add more Battle compressor, also 3 VS Seeker should be sufficient. Battle Compressor is also the fastest way to get Pokemon in your discard pile. Just take a look at a Night's March deck list.

Another suggestion is to use 3/4 level balls instead of just two. You can get any Pokemon onto your bench except for Shaymin EX. But you also have Ultra Ball and Pokemon Fan Club so that wouldn't be a problem.

I don't think I have to explain anymore why running just 4 Double Colorless Energy is a bad idea...

My last suggestion for this deck is to run at least 2 Switch / Escape rope. You don't always have the privilege to start with Vespiquen or Jolteon (Also keep Lysandre in mind) So in case you have to switch you need to discard a Double Colorless Energy. (And the retreat cost is just one energy... That's a shame)

Trainer's Mail, Acro Bike, Lysandre and Muscle Band. These are really good cards, but there are more important cards to add, to make the vespiquen strategy work. Now for your Sceptile EX - Giratina EX deck, the whole concept is wrong. These cards don't synchronize with each other. You stated that Giratina is slow, that's why you should combine it with Vileplume not Mega Sceptile. The double dragon Energies are much saver and your opponent has more trouble setting up his own deck. Mega Sceptile works better with a secondary attackers like Lugia, Mega Heracross or Trevenant EX.

Now there are still other cards from which I question there viability. But It's a bit too much to write down in just one post. Maybe I'll take another look at it later, and maybe you should use deck garage like everyone else, no offense...

There are a few points I'd like to point out. I've yet to build a Vespiquen deck myself, but here's what I think:

Battle Compressor should be maxed out. There Isn't a lot of focus in your supporter section. You have 4 VS Seekers, to make them really work you should add more Battle compressor, also 3 VS Seeker should be sufficient. Battle Compressor is also the fastest way to get Pokemon in your discard pile. Just take a look at a Night's March deck list.

Another suggestion is to use 3/4 level balls instead of just two. You can get any Pokemon onto your bench except for Shaymin EX. But you also have Ultra Ball and Pokemon Fan Club so that wouldn't be a problem.

I don't think I have to explain anymore why running just 4 Double Colorless Energy is a bad idea...

My last suggestion for this deck is to run at least 2 Switch / Escape rope. You don't always have the privilege to start with Vespiquen or Jolteon (Also keep Lysandre in mind) So in case you have to switch you need to discard a Double Colorless Energy. (And the retreat cost is just one energy... That's a shame)

Trainer's Mail, Acro Bike, Lysandre and Muscle Band. These are really good cards, but there are more important cards to add, to make the vespiquen strategy work. Now for your Sceptile EX - Giratina EX deck, the whole concept is wrong. These cards don't synchronize with each other. You stated that Giratina is slow, that's why you should combine it with Vileplume not Mega Sceptile. The double dragon Energies are much saver and your opponent has more trouble setting up his own deck. Mega Sceptile works better with a secondary attackers like Lugia, Mega Heracross or Trevenant EX.

Now there are still other cards from which I question there viability. But It's a bit too much to write down in just one post. Maybe I'll take another look at it later, and maybe you should use deck garage like everyone else, no offense...
What attacker shoud you pair with Giratina-EX then? Other than Hydreigon-EX, Shaymin-EX, Hoopa-EX and Unown. Sceptile-EX actualle seems like a good hcoice to power him up.

Sorry, not sure what you're asking. Do you mean what's a better replacement for M-Sceptile in the authors deck? or what's a good secondary attacker for a Vileplume + Giratina deck? If you put M-Sceptile in a Vileplume deck you have trouble getting basic energy so you're better of using Special energies like Double Dragon Energy and DCE, Also you can't play a Spirit link and you lose your turn.

If you're simply asking what's best to pair up with Giratina, I think Hydreigon EX + Giratina + Vileplume is the best combination or Miltank + Vileplume +Giratina Actually I can't think of any other good pokémon than the ones you stated, except for Toxicroak + Dragalge + Vileplume. But these would probably work better without Giratina EX.

I think that making room for more tools in TTar is good, because you do not want to get double head ringered, also, I made room for shadow circle in my build to deny the OHKO from Primal Groudon, unless he has strong energies.

I think that making room for more tools in TTar is good, because you do not want to get double head ringered, also, I made room for shadow circle in my build to deny the OHKO from Primal Groudon, unless he has strong energies.
I love the Shadow Circle idea!! It'll not only help with groudon, but any sort of fighting deck. As for more tools, I dont see why you couldnt make a build running several tools with tool retrievers.
Thanks for the input!

any thoughts on giratina/vileplume?

Hex Maniac and Silent Lab make it trash. With the low damage output and slow attack set up I honestly doubt it will be THAT good. It will be usable, but I doubt it'll be winning any big tournament.
>inb4 "I tested it Bruh, it beats every deck ever" that im sure some people will try to say.

I agree that the Sceptile + Giratina concept isnt ideal. Both Sceptile and Giratina will end up being separate archetypes, both of which will be better than their combination, much like Manectric and Seismitoad we have now.

Hex Maniac and Silent Lab make it trash. With the low damage output and slow attack set up I honestly doubt it will be THAT good. It will be usable, but I doubt it'll be winning any big tournament.
>inb4 "I tested it Bruh, it beats every deck ever" that im sure some people will try to say.

I've tested it against a Quad Beedrill deck 5 times and it won every time! fite me!

I've tested it against a Quad Beedrill deck 5 times and it won every time! fite me!

Can't tell if this is a joke or not, but if it isn't I want to say that Beedrill isn't really a noticed deck what so ever, and when I said bee deck I meant Vespiqueen. If this is a joke (which I dearly hope it is) then wowzers, 3op5me

/me raises fists

Just kidding :p. Though I personally think the a deck that wins 75+/100 against a very wide variety of tiered decks makes it good. Just 5 doesn't say much :p

I keep wondering why people still use Shauna whilst Birch is around, and I'm glad I'm not the only one to pick up on it. Nice to see some interesting decks, and I can't wait to try vespiquen+night march

I keep wondering why people still use Shauna whilst Birch is around, and I'm glad I'm not the only one to pick up on it.

I keep wondering the opposite, Coin flip is luck based anyway you look at it... you may very well have a game where you only get tails, this has to happen just one time (Perhaps at an important tourney) and you're out. I know the facts and you probably heard them as well, you get more cards out of birch overall, good timing though is never guaranteed.

I have tried Birch, else I wouldn't say all this. But I think there's enough reason not to use him. Of course It's also a matter of play style. I like consistency above pretty much everything. I never use cards that rely on coin flip.

Back