My theory on what will be rotated out in August

Status
Not open for further replies.
K, they aren't going to keep a set just to give a single pokemon X a lower form. They don't care that much. If they did, this would be a repeat of GG, and SPs couldn't hold up to Champ anymore. Gengar grins and just east the format. Think about it. If they kept SF(no one really cares about Drapion anyway), Gechamp would EAT the format. Its the truth.

masterryanx said:
I don't know about HGSS-on, I'd love a card pool wipe like that but it just doesn't seem likely. The more realistic rotation to kill SP would be something like RR-on.

But SPs aren't going to die ANYTIME soon. SPs will be a HUGE threat this season and next.

In any case, I bet its going to be PT-on. That way, we will have 7 sets, a good source of draw power(ninetails), and pretty strong pogeymenz.

Seth1789110 said:
But SPs aren't going to die ANYTIME soon. SPs will be a HUGE threat this season and next.

In any case, I bet its going to be PT-on. That way, we will have 7 sets, a good source of draw power(ninetails), and pretty strong pogeymenz.

I never said anything about SP viability dying anytime soon, not sure where you got that.

But how would rotating out Platinum NOT kill SP? If that was you were implying, anyway. They lose next to all of their support.

I honestly think there's going to be a wipe to just the LEGEND block. Here's my proof/reasoning based off recent news:

-Looking at HGSS, the entire set's Weakness is set at x2. Every Pokemon but the Baby forms has a weakness at this level, and all Resistances in the set are at -20. This makes the cards extremely weak in the format, even with a PL-On rotation. Flat out without help, all of them take dives left and right because of their weakness levels.

-Again from HGSS, the entire set features a much higher energy requirement for attacks overall than the previous sets. You can see a similar trend in Base Set to Neo Generation (It went down), Neo Generation to EX, EX to DP and now PL to GS. This renders the set, again, not as useful in the current format with the SP pokemon and plenty of other fun pokemon sticking around (Flygon, anyone?).

-Last bit from HGSS, the art direction changed. We've got a more traditional japanese style than previous sets, there's more variety in the colors, and the basic tool cards (Pokeball, Full Heal and Switch) are all reprinted in this set. I know this has happened before, but usually this is the marker for the start of a block. (PL has this too, so there's two theories there)

-We've recieved news of the 5th Generation Pokemon being this year. Honestly, If I was PCI and I was wanting to cash in on that, why not force a complete rebuy of every single player in the TCG to catch up to 5th Generation? A wipe to the LEGEND series would satisfy this business need. If you've been to a mainstream place recently, Pokemon cards are kind of stacked up right now, which in my mind indicates a need to re-energize the fan base, again, wiping to GS causes this.

-The format is, for the most part, rather stale. It's hard for any new (meaning Rogue) decks to get going and change the metagame, Arceus didn't do much for energizing the format and HGSS's above problems keep it from being 100% competitive. And let's face it, it's currently hell for new players to get into any kind of competitive shape without Claydol, Uxie, Azelf and in some cases Unown G. You don't need it, but they make things miles easier. Accessibility is a buzz word in the games industry right now, and removing staple cards is a way of leveling the playing field. Yes, this works against the above, however, reprinting similar cards like Ninetails, Noctowl and Ledian GS all force a buy to keep the same competitive edge.

So, I believe that we'll see the first set of 5th Generation Pokemon shortly before or after Worlds and that will be the true mark to say whether or not the HGSS cutoff is going to happen in 2010 or 2011. I really believe they'll take the risk of peeving players to make a bit of quick cash from the new generation of trainers that will come in with 5th Generation.

Granted this is extreme, and I believe the more likely scenario is a PL-On cut, but I have a very sneaking suspicion that there will be a GS cut this year or next.

Just HGSS LEGEND-On for next rotation? We still don't know for sure until POP/PUSA confirms it. If the next Modified format is going to be HGSS LEGEND-On, then alot of decks will die namely Fire decks with
Charizard AR/Ninetales HGSS, Blastcatty, and the majority of SP decks in the meta.

That would also remove alot of useful cards from the Platinum sets such as Broken-Time Space including Spiritomb AR and with Rare Candy possibly being reprinted again in the next set or so I have a strong feeling the Platinum sets will stay for another year before rotating out completely.

Alot of players who just got into the game with the Platinum sets would probably quit the game after realizing they spent their money on cards that could possibly not be legal for another year. Bad business move IMO, I don't like it as much as anyone else but If we have to bite the bullet then there's not much we can do about it.

Over the recent years the Pokemon TCG has had a 30% increase in player turnouts so why would POP/PUSA or whoever is in charge of the game ruin it for the rest of the players? Limiting the game's card pool to 3-4 sets to build decks off of instead of 7-8 seems like a bad idea IMO. There would be too many of the same decks being ran If the card pool is that limited much like when a new TCG is just released and there's only 1 or 2 sets in the game.

In a down economy it's already bad enough for the game to lose more players and make less money, POP/PUSA is a business wanting to make money so of course they want more people to play. Just my 2 cents on the matter...

I can't help wondering if they're reading posts like this right now trying to make the decision :p

I'll be pretty upset if Platinum get's dropped, since I got in a few months ago and I've already dropped 200+ dollars on platinum sets exclusively assuming they'd remain legal for the next rotation. Also there are a fair amount of deck ideas I'd really like to play within PL or in combination with HGSS.

Fingers are crossed for PL-on. Will we hear about their decision before the rotation actually takes place, or will we not know anything at all until September?

SlingerJ and Deca: Like I said, that's what I think could happen, but my feeling is that there's a more likely switch to a PL or RR on setup, but the hyper business-y move would be the full LEGEND reset. Also, by the time that the rotation would be announced, we'd have 2-3 LEGEND sets in America, and hopefully, the new players now would have bought up some of LEGEND to complement their PL cards.

Rotating the Platinum block would mean that the Arceus set has the least time legal of any set in existence. Terrible idea.

That said, the set Platinum could be leaving because of the cards that were moved from the previous Japanese set. For instance, though I doubt most of you remember, Shaymin LV.X was cut for Stormfront because of movie 11.

If the idea is to keep all contries on the same rotation, Japanese players may end up with something like "OK, you can use THESE cards from IFIDS, but not THOSE."

pvtGramps said:
SlingerJ and Deca: Like I said, that's what I think could happen, but my feeling is that there's a more likely switch to a PL or RR on setup, but the hyper business-y move would be the full LEGEND reset. Also, by the time that the rotation would be announced, we'd have 2-3 LEGEND sets in America, and hopefully, the new players now would have bought up some of LEGEND to complement their PL cards.

actually, that wouldn't be a hyper business move...that would actually hurt business alot more than help it...the reason being is this:

while on the overall business end the 5th Generation would create quite a sales push...however, on the tcg business end, dumping all the current sets that we have would cause a huge issue with the majority of the TCG playing community, and would easily cause the majority of that group to leave the TCG, and most would not come back...which in turn causes prize support to drop, which would cause more players to leave the TCG...and pretty much, it would snowball until the TCG is no longer played competitively and/or supported

there are quite a large number of players who have gotten back into the TCG or have just newly started playing the TCG during the DP and/or PT block(s)...having TPCi to all of a sudden make their money spent a complete waste of time and effort, would probably cause those players to leave the game for good, and some would even go as far as to stop messing with Pokemon altogether

TPCi has already had to deal with one "player schism" during the time when WOTC dropped competitive support for the game, and TPCi was scrambling trying to get competitive support back up in order to keep the tcg franchise going...and I'm sure being this is the 2nd oldest TCG in the States, they have people that know TCG players and how they operate now, and don't want to cause another schism

Lou Cypher said:
Odds are theres a Porygon2 in Revived Legends anyway, so that likely ain't gonna be an issue.

Promogon will lose all of its TM's, so it doesn't matter.

Did anyone else notice we lose warp point and night maintenance if the format is platinum and up 0.0

#1weavile said:
Did anyone else notice we lose warp point and night maintenance if the format is platinum and up 0.0

Uh what about Roseanne's Research.

Yeah, let's just wait until August for complete confirmation. We don't need speculation threads six months early.

*Locked*

dmaster out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back